Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA Anime (the First Series) Q & A Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
MonsterEnvy
Oh, I disagree. I think that the Sins were named by the sin of the creator, not the sin of the homunculus.

Lust:
[spoiler]This one is quite obvious. Scar's brother lusts after her and trys to resurrect her.[/spoiler]
Gluttony:
[spoiler]this is somewhat unclear because, at least in the anime without the movie, we know very little about Gluttony. My guess is that since Dante created Gluttony in order to refine the stone and therefore hoard it for herself, the sin is therefore the 'taking' and 'hoarding' aspects of Gluttony than necessarily eating.[/spoiler]
Envy:
[spoiler]It's easy enough to think that Hohenheim envied other people's children and wanted his own back.[/spoiler]
Pride:
[spoiler]Dante took great pride in her creation of an aging homunculus, That's as much as I can get, there was as little or less about his creation than Gluttony's.[/spoiler]
Wrath:
[spoiler]Izumi blamed herself for the death of her child. She hated herself for it, and she performed the transmutation to assuage her wrath at herself. [/spoiler]
Greed:
[spoiler]dante created Greed as a puppet to help her gain wealth and power. Of course, he turned on her, but she originally created him to get the same sort of power that she thought that Hohenheim would have had had he kept Envy.[/spoiler]
Sloth:
[spoiler]I'm at least somewhat versed in the sins, so I'm aware that, contrary to popular belief, Sloth is actually the failure to progress spiritually, not necessarily to be lazy physically. A better word for it is Acedia. Ed and Al's sin was refusing to accept that their mother was dead and move on. Instead, they lingered behind, and that is why she is Sloth.[/spoiler]

Also, it's not that the sins are completely named by the sin of their creator. They also take on the characteristics of that sin.
Automne
Well, I said it was just a theory. There was nothing sure. Only Bones know, even though I have a hard time to think Scar's brother resurrected his lover just out of lust.
irridescentsong
Ed and Al's mom (Trisha) died from an illness that she had been convering up since their father (Hikari no Hoenheim) left her with them. Some say that it was because it wore her down having to take care of both of the boys and waiting for Hoenheim to return (which he did later), but when he did, it was too late.

Fossil Disease is one of the main foci (plural of focus...) of episode 35. It's been a whle since I've seen the episode, but I'll answer to the best of my ability in spoiler format... [spoiler]The disease was plaguing the village, and a few years back, when Lust was passing through, Envy decided that Lust should give a little bit of incomplete Philosopher's Stone to an aspiring alchemist named Lujon to help advance their plans for the Philosopher's Stone. The Homunculi purposefully spread the Fossil Disease to make Lujon, whom Lust had given the incomplete Philosopher's Stone to in the form of a ring (similar to the rings worn by the State Alchemist Roy Mustang in the Ishbal Masacare), use the Philosopher's Stone to try and combat the disease. The problem was that Lujon fell in love with Lust, who he had no reason to believe that she wasn't a human. Lujon reminded Lust of her old feelings from her human existence as fiancee to Scar's older brother.[/spoiler] I hope that this answers your question. And now...
--
to introduce myself! For those of you who don't know me, my name is Aeris of Iniquity! I am currently the "resident expert" for this thread and for the "Unanswered Questions: Any Episode" thread which can be viewed here. I'm 17, and have been a huge Hagaren fan for more than two years. For more information about me, feel free to visit this page, which holds all of my informaion about the series, concerning what I have seen and read, what I own, and so on and so forth. Enjoy!
Drool Alchemist
QUOTE(asu @ Apr 17 2006, 04:14 PM) [snapback]382359[/snapback]

QUOTE(CutEowyn @ Apr 17 2006, 06:51 AM) [snapback]382164[/snapback]

In the manga someone said Elrics' mom is died from plague, but I think the did from loneliness or something concerning her husband.

You're able to save a poor frenchgirl... Pleaze, I think "OMG" means oh my god, but what "ZOMG" means ??

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=zomg

many variations on the origins from that link.

use urbandictionary if you are confused about any other internet slang.

I thought that the "Z" stood for "Zenshin"...
Freshmoon
So.... What did the army really do to Rose that she lost her voice. Oh and where did she suddenly get the baby from?
Astria
Re: the Rose question, I'm going to give this a spoiler space, just in case:

[spoiler]An earlier episode showed Rose hiding children from the soldiers in Lior, and Hakuro (the General in the episode with the train-hijackers) trying to 'persuade' her to co-operate, but she refused. Rose...got the baby after she was raped by Hakuro's soldiers. At least, that is the implication when Ed asks what happened to Rose. I think why she wasn't speaking had something to do with Dante influencing her.[/spoiler]

I have another question: I understand where the 'real' Philosopher's Stone comes from, but what is the red water (I'm thinking of what Nash Tringham was experimenting with) made of? I'm guessing that Tringham stopped his research in Central because he found out the same thing Tim Marcoh did, but I could be wrong.
sweety_pie
The redwater is 'A precursor material for manufactering a philosophers stone.'
They stopped researchong it because Mugear wants to use a gruesome 'Contingency plan' to refine the red water faster.
Drool Alchemist
About all those "RoyxEd fans"

How pervert can you get? Fantasizing with a homo relationship involving a MINOR... Am I the only noticing something doesn't add up?

I'm very sorry if I didn't sound very PC. But we are talking about a felony vicarized through a cartoon. I sincerely doubt this has anything to do with the actual anime/manga.
Tombow
QUOTE(Drool Alchemist @ Sep 1 2006, 12:13 AM) [snapback]439694[/snapback]
About all those "RoyxEd fans"

How pervert can you get? Fantasizing with a homo relationship involving a MINOR... Am I the only noticing something doesn't add up?

I'm very sorry if I didn't sound very PC. But we are talking about a felony vicarized through a cartoon. I sincerely doubt this has anything to do with the actual anime/manga.
Ummm... @Drool Alchemist - I think you might have posted that on the wrong thread.
I'm more or less good with "factual" questions on FMA anime content, but not so good with "rhetorical" questions like that. biggrin.gif

But, if you go to FMA character discussion forum, we have threads such as:
Yaoi poll, EdxAl, FMA Homosexual coupling, EdxRoy, HeixEd, EdxRoy Fan list, Edx?? poll, Royx?? poll, FMA shonenai, ans so on where, I think, you can post your opinion and be heard by the intended audiences?? unsure.gif

Hope that helps!! happy.gif
Automne
Geez, the lack of searching skills of this member, and the cliché arguments! (C'mon people, be original! >_<)...It's been a long time though... *goes to fma_fanwars*

@Astria: The red water is certainly made of very toxic products, seeing how all these citizens got illness because of it (and that's why Nash Tringham ran away), but at the same time, it can form an incomplete Philosopher's stone and heal, but the effects don't last long (see, I think, episode 36, with that Lujon guy and Lust. The bird fell dead again seconds after).
Drool Alchemist
It's not lack of ability, it's lack of willingness. This is a generic thread. And I have to save time for important stuff like work and participating in more worthy fora.

"Fanwars"? I'd like to think I'm beyond that. It' just that the juvenileness and faddish character of many anime fans amazes me.

It's a farewell, I'm yet hoping to find somenday an useful forum about anime/manga.

Cheers to the bunch of genuinely worthy members here. You may know who you are.
Automne
Don't worry! The members of fma_fanwars judged! You're not beyond that, you're actually far behind (and they suggest you to go look at some Elricest, because it's even better than RoyEd!)! But kudos to you anyway! : D *waves*
irridescentsong
I don't think that it's about "a lack of willingness." I think it's more about the appropriateness of the topic in the fourm or thread you're currently reading.

This thread is for the purposes of asking about the contents of the acutal show or the manga, not for something that exists only in the fan base, which Roy and Ed as a couple exists there only. There is not actual intentional coupling of those two in the series at all. Just like there is no evidence to support an Al and Winry coupling, but a lot of people like reading about that. The only real couples that have evidence behind them (at least in the manga) are Ed and Winry, and Roy and Riza.

On another note, you asked
. I think that those who don't enjoy that coupling just don't bother asking about it. There are too many fans of weird pairings that others just don't bother. Personally, if you don't like it, just ignore it. Besides, without sounding like a total fangirl, it's pretty hot. But, that might just be me and my personal preferences...
Tombow
QUOTE(Drool Alchemist @ Sep 1 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]439916[/snapback]
It's not lack of ability, it's lack of willingness. This is a generic thread. And I have to save time for important stuff like work and participating in more worthy fora.
@irridescentsong - Actually, it's lack of ability, and lack of willingness because I don't want to try to answer something I don't know, and hence making fool of myself!! laugh.gif
(And, because I don't think this thread is the right thread to carry out that discussion.)

I can answer some of the questions on FMA anime content fairly well, but I don't know much about "RoyxEd" stuff, let alone about RoyxEd FANS, hence I can't answer your question even if I wanted to. (Please, ask me about RoyxRiza "facts" in FMA instead!! XDDD)

And, yes, like irridescentsong, I believe this thread is for "factual" content of FMA anime, and NOT for "rhetorical" questions such as yours, or "what if" type of "discussion" questions, such as... "Do you think Hohemheim should have stayed with Trisha??" and so on.
As such, my standard response is to try to find corresponding thread(s) where the intended discussion might be carried out, and guide the poster there, when those type of "leading" questions are posted.

I understand your desire to start a discussion about RoyxEd fans on THIS thread, but I believe that topic should be discussed on other threads in our forums, and hence I have shown you the links for some of those threads on my previous post.
Don't you like to post your question on those threads, and open the discussions there?? unsure.gif
Automne
Huh, I think they said they were leaving.
Tombow
QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Sep 2 2006, 05:22 AM) [snapback]440326[/snapback]
Huh, I think they said they were leaving.
Yeah, I'm baffled. unsure.gif
Automne
I dunno, it's actually quite funny and pitiful to me, to see such an attention-whoring post, like it is such a big deal they are leaving. Reminded me of this post fullmetal sin made in the RP thread, sounding like 'Ya all suck and I'm leaving!' because no one was paying attention to his posts. *shrugs* (or maybe you were being ironic? If so, I r baffled 2! *cries*)
Tombow
^^ Ah, ok, that makes sense. biggrin.gif
(No, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I WAS baffled. happy.gif)
Bader
QUOTE(Pamster @ Sep 24 2005, 09:20 PM) [snapback]291966[/snapback]

[spoiler]That wouuld make sense, but what doesn't is that there was supposedly a first lust that died or whatever and Lust says to Greed how she is the current Lust, so what is up with all that? [/spoiler]

So many questions, so many ideas. What do you think? smile.gif

I think that the Humonculi always keep a group of 7, and that over the hundreds of years that they have been around, they occasionally have one that is killed by a skilled alchemist, like Hohenheim. Or maybe they get too independant and Dante had them killed.
Colette
Hey....Lust has the "Ultimate Lance" that can pierce anything right? (Manga wise but I think it's with the anime too.) And Greed has the "Ultimate Shield" that can't be pierced by anything save alchemy, right?

So uh, can Lust's nails pierce Greed's armor?

Or would the FMA universe explode on contact?
Automne
Hum, that's not really a question we can answer, since Lust and Greed never fought (that would be such a cool fight though!), but I don't think Lust's nails would be able to pierce through Greed's shield. Doesn't mean he wouldn't have a hard time beating her though. Hum, dunno, yep, the FMA world would certainly explode...
Popogeejo
I think the Lances and Greeds skin are both ultra dense Carbon.
If thats so then Lust could possibly skewer Greed if she put enough force into the attack.

Ofcourse this is based on the assumption that lusts Lances are the same thing as Greeds sheild...
irridescentsong
And I think that the assumption is incorrect. Because Greed has to change to become the Ultimate Shield, we cannot assume that the materials are the same for both his Shield and Lust's Lance. Lust has to go through no change, but it is a willing of the mind (or so I believe) and Greed has to will it to change completely. But, popo, you're right about Greed's shield being made of ultra-dense carbon. Or at least that's what I remember it being said that that was the chemical make-up of it. (I haven't seen that episode in a while, and my memory sucks a lot... :0)

(I haven't been around in a while, sorries! And they're not showing Hagaren on Saturday nights anymore! :( I checked this weekend's schedule this morning on my cable box. Something called "Trinity Blood" is taking over that spot, and then Bleach comes on at 12:30! Yay Bleach! BUt Fullmetal vs. Flame comes on tonight! I love that episode! *sets the VCR recorded for it* Yay~)
Bader
Alrighty, I think this counts as a stupid question:

Ed is a State Alchemist in the military, but what is his rank? Lieutenant's salute him, so he has to be either a Captain or higher...
Popogeejo
All State alchemist start out as Majors.
Bader
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Sep 6 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]442510[/snapback]

WHere does it say this, and why don't they ever call him Major?
Colette
Oh noes, I broke Fullmetal Alchemist D: Thanks for the theories and stuff though.

QUOTE(Bader @ Sep 6 2006, 03:31 PM) [snapback]442620[/snapback]

Some do.

And it says so when Ed is in the hospital with Maria and Denny.
Tombow
QUOTE(Bader @ Sep 6 2006, 05:31 PM) [snapback]442620[/snapback]
I'm sure other FMA "expert" can give you more specific answers, but I think it said so somewhere during anime, and also in official Guide book or somewhere. Anyway, I believe that is an established canon. biggrin.gif

And, about being called "Major"...some State Alchemists are there as career military offcers, like Mustang, or Armstrong, others are not, like Tucker and Ed.
In that case, I think, State Alchemisst are treated as equivalant of "Major" in ranks, but Ed is not really working as an actual Major, as a military officer, but as a State Alchemist, so most will reffer to him as a State Alchemist, I think.
(All State Alchemists are Mojor, and/or above in military ranks, but not all Mojors in the military are State Alchemist. Therefore, I think being the State Alchemist is more distinguished, or "specia,l" so to speak, IMO.)
Ting
QUOTE(A Song of Storm and Fire @ Sep 26 2005, 05:13 AM) [snapback]292274[/snapback]

What does the symbol on Ed's coat and the tattoo on Izumi stand for?

It is the opposite of the ouroborus (sp?) symbol which means immortallity.

QUOTE(Tombow @ Oct 19 2005, 07:00 PM) [snapback]301614[/snapback]

QUOTE(harmony_kh_kairi @ Oct 19 2005, 02:21 AM) [snapback]301598[/snapback]

[spoiler]....Next is Scar's brother's failed human transmutation creating Lust. If you think about the relationship his brother had with his lover that gave rise to Lust it would be logical to assume that the Gate took his male organs in much the same way the Gate took Izumi's reproduction organs when she tried to resurrect her dead son. This way the exchange would mean Izumi could no longer have children and Scar's brother could no longer make love to a woman.....[/spoiler]

Oh, good, thanks for posting this! I have been wondering about this for some time!
Scar's brother lost you-know-what, and Izumi lost her reproductive organs, and I feel like I can see a basic logic behind this, to decide what would be taken away for trying to transmutate human.
Then I get lost with Ed & Al's case.
I can't see the clear logic behind taking Al, plus Ed's one llimb (initially) for trying to transmutate their mother.
And, while Izumi, Scar's brother, and Ed lost only parts of their bodies, they took whole Al!!
To me, it kind of seems so harsh compared to the panishment (or "passage fee" or whatever) others had to pay.
So, was that just a random decision (if so, by who, or what?) or there was a logic behind what the brothers lost for transmutating their mother????

It is just to make Ed look hot coz he had automail.

QUOTE(Tombow @ Oct 31 2005, 06:20 PM) [snapback]307126[/snapback]

@Molecular Alchemist -
Someone theorized and posted in other thread, though I don't remember which one, that:
[spoiler]Rose might have been raped, possibly by some solder(s) during the Lior uprising and following military involvement there. Or, she could have been taking care of an orphaned baby or something??[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Scar said it is the military's fault that Roze had that baby, so I guess she was being raped because in a scene you can see she is breastfeeding her baby. [/spoiler]
Tombow
^^ @Ting- Thanks for posting answers!! Though, I think we already posted answers to those questions last year while these were being discussed, and while the members who posted the original questions, like, A Song of Storm and Fire was still on the board. (He/she hasn't been here since last April!! biggrin.gif)

Maybe you can post your inputs for more recent unanswered questions or discussions?? smile.gif
Lysander
What's the FMA: Broken Angel? is it a game or an actual series? and how many series are there in all? unsure.gif
Tombow
QUOTE(Hollow Souled Alchemist @ Sep 9 2006, 10:10 AM) [snapback]444155[/snapback]
What's the FMA: Broken Angel? is it a game or an actual series? and how many series are there in all? unsure.gif
@Hollow Souled Alchemist - No it's not a part of anime series.
Anime TV series had 2 seasons, total of 51 episodes.

"Broken Angel" is a Playstation FMA game.
You can read more about FMA games in our FMA game forum, and more info on "Broken Angel" and other FMA Play Station games are in the FMA Playstation games sub-forum there. biggrin.gif
Lysander
Thanks so much, Tombow! biggrin.gif
saponin
hey everyone, im new here! yay newbies. laugh.gif

anyway, in ep.44, when ed & al first learn abt. hughes, and they were talking about mustang, and it shows mustang talking to some military guys... what exactly were they talking about? i dont get the whole sequence, with mustang getting angry and then bowing or whatever... can anyone clear that up?
Tombow
QUOTE(saponin @ Sep 19 2006, 10:24 AM) [snapback]448366[/snapback]

hey everyone, im new here! yay newbies. laugh.gif

anyway, in ep.44, when ed & al first learn abt. hughes, and they were talking about mustang, and it shows mustang talking to some military guys... what exactly were they talking about? i dont get the whole sequence, with mustang getting angry and then bowing or whatever... can anyone clear that up?

@saponin - Ha, can't recall that particular scene... Hope someone can answer that...
Or, if nobody can, maybe I can check it when I have more time during the weekend..
Hope others can remember the scene for you before that.
(Sorry I'm too pressed at the moment, but I didn't want you to think everyone was ignoring your question. smile.gif )
Sin Of Envy
I wish I could answer to your question, maybe I will when I find out myself and no one answer...
But I have a question that wasn't another topic worthy:
If Ed and Al are atheists, why do they pay for their sin?
Sins are related with God, and Elrics just don't believe in one.....
[Hope it's not confusing ^^]
saponin
QUOTE(Sin Of Envy @ Sep 24 2006, 10:39 AM) [snapback]450269[/snapback]

I wish I could answer to your question, maybe I will when I find out myself and no one answer...

equivalent exchange maybe? they do have to pay for what they did... they caused trouble, so they have to clean it up. maybe their "sin" is just terminology?

LOL i love your sig!

@tombow: hehe thanks (for not ignoring me anyways). ^^
Sin Of Envy
QUOTE(saponin @ Sep 24 2006, 06:45 AM) [snapback]450537[/snapback]

QUOTE(Sin Of Envy @ Sep 24 2006, 10:39 AM) [snapback]450269[/snapback]

equivalent exchange maybe? they do have to pay for what they did... they caused trouble, so they have to clean it up. maybe their "sin" is just terminology?

LOL i love your sig!

@tombow: hehe thanks (for not ignoring me anyways). ^^

You're probably right, thanks!
Thanks again for the sig comment!
SakuraNinja-Chan
um how old is alphonse in the movie? I kno they found him and he was 10 in the last episode but he looks just as big as Ed does, tall and body wise, because I noticed he looked smaller than Winry in the last episode and he appears larger than her now (I think, but I haven't seen the movie) so Is he 12 since the movie takes place two years after the last episode or he is 17?
Popogeejo
How many times are you going to ask that? You made two threads and both were answered.
Look here and here for the answer.
Tombow
^^ Popo - Maybe me and Chiyo aren't that trustworthy... tongue.gif

QUOTE(SakuraNinja-Chan @ Sep 25 2006, 08:26 PM) [snapback]451408[/snapback]
um how old is alphonse in the movie? I kno they found him and he was 10 in the last episode but he looks just as big as Ed does, tall and body wise, because I noticed he looked smaller than Winry in the last episode and he appears larger than her now (I think, but I haven't seen the movie) so Is he 12 since the movie takes place two years after the last episode or he is 17?
@SakuraNinja-Chan - I can repeat my answer here. biggrin.gif

I beleive your explanation is correct that Al "came back" as 10 years old boy, and the movie story takes place 2 years later, hence Al should be 12 years old in the movie.
Although Al is tall, and might look older than 12, as far as I know, he is 12 years old in the movie.
And, BTW, Alfons Heiderich is 17. smile.gif

SakuraNinja-Chan
@Tombow Thanks for the help! biggrin.gif

@popogeejo since u wanna throw around scarcastic links I will too! mad.gif read Tombow's post
that'll answer ur question.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(SakuraNinja-Chan @ Sep 27 2006, 02:22 AM) [snapback]451786[/snapback]

@popogeejo since u wanna throw around scarcastic links I will too! mad.gif read Tombow's post
that'll answer ur question.

That wasn't sarcasm, deary. I simply pointed out you had asked before and had been answered before. If you want to be angry at me then please PM me any time instead. It saves alot of bother for other people. Just make sure you can finsh anything you start. wink.gif
Tombow
^^ Oh no, Popo and SakuraNinja-Chan, please don't fight!!

It's MY FAULT, because I invited SakuraNinja-Chan to post here when I posted my answer, you know, to give chance to hear other people's answer as well, before I discovered SakuraNinja-Chan's other thread where Chiyo also answered.

So, yeah, in retrospect, maybe that wasn't necessary, since Chiyo is very good with FMA facts, but I didn't know that when I posted the link to this thread. Sorry!!
So, please stop fighting over this, yes?? happy.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, if I may, I'd like to go back to saponin's question....

in ep.44, when ed & al first learn abt. hughes, and they were talking about mustang, and it shows mustang talking to some military guys... what exactly were they talking about? i dont get the whole sequence, with mustang getting angry and then bowing or whatever... can anyone clear that up?

@saponin - I found the episode 44 on YouTube, so could you tell me exactly which scene you didn't understand?? Then maybe we can tell you what's going on. biggrin.gif
Episode 44 is devided into 3 parts . Could you tell me which of three has your scene in question??
And, tell us the timer counter, for example, "the scene is from 2:03 to 2:33 (this is just the example I made up)" or something like that, then we can go straight to that scene, and that will help us figuring out. smile.gif
Popogeejo
Don't worry Tombow, I have no intention of starting a flame fest.
saponin

@saponin - I found the episode 44 on YouTube, so could you tell me exactly which scene you didn't understand?? Then maybe we can tell you what's going on. biggrin.gif
Episode 44 is devided into 3 parts . Could you tell me which of three has your scene in question??
And, tell us the timer counter, for example, "the scene is from 2:03 to 2:33 (this is just the example I made up)" or something like that, then we can go straight to that scene, and that will help us figuring out. smile.gif

in this one, 3:20-3:45. smile.gif

aaand, alfons h. was unbelievably hott in the movie. *drool*
Razzy
this is a dumb question, but.....
who was greeed before he became a homunculus? i dont know if i missed it or if they explained it in the series, but.... i dunno....
ed's numbuh 1 fan
QUOTE(Steel Heart Alchemist @ Sep 27 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]452090[/snapback]

who was greeed before he became a homunculus? i dont know if i missed it or if they explained it in the series, but.... i dunno....

they never said who he was or what he lookedl ike, just like Gluttony and [spoiler]Pride[/spoiler]
Sin Of Envy
QUOTE(Steel Heart Alchemist @ Sep 27 2006, 04:29 PM) [snapback]452090[/snapback]

But if rumors are true, he was

[spoiler] Dante's lover and gardener...?[/spoiler]
Popogeejo
He was an Ex lover apprently.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.