Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FMA Anime (the First Series) Q & A Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
andyface
Yo, just a few toughts of my own after reading all the questions and answers. going to stick it all in a spoiler tag (if i can) just in case!
[spoiler]
It makes sense that rosť was raped (poor thing) but supposedly no one except rosť and probably some soldiers would know, as it says (i think) that she never talked after what happened to her (suggesting it was something pretty traumatic, like rape).

al clapping does seem like a way of imitating his bro, could be just to illustrate the tight bond that exists between the two, and he's kinda obsesive about finding him so may have found out stuff like that to imitate him (little bros always imitate big bros! i should know, i did, but not anymore! hehe). But you can only do transmutation without a circle by seeing the circle (having been to the gate, which technically al has but can he remember?) or i guess having it drawn on somewhere, ie gloves as al does, so i guess he does it through the gloves

also kinda interesting (well it is to me) that when they're back together in "shamballa" al is dressed like ed is in series but ed is dressed completely differently (ala 1940s munich) kinda seperates then a little, and makes you think that ed may be going back there, which he does. anyway!
[/spoiler]

And a couple of questions of my own biggrin.gif

I too wonder what the lines on the homunculus are.

also any explaination as to why gluttony and lust had such a bond?

more below:
[spoiler]
izumi asks ed if he sees the transmutation circles which is how he can do it without drawing it, to which he answers yes
in which case, why does someone else (can't remeber who) say that he creates (or completes?) a circle when he claps? is this just a false explaination by someone who doesn't understand alchemy very well?

and finally, ed got his arm and leg back, but then seems to lose them for the film, is that because when he resurrected al he had to give up his arm and leg again? but then what else did he use for the trade (can't just be leg and arm, otherwise al would be rather small!) and also what happened to the arm and the leg, wrath doesn't have them and neither does ed! who has them?
[/spoiler]

well that'll do for me
Winkle
QUOTE(Jedi28 @ Mar 15 2006, 11:53 PM) [snapback]363889[/snapback]

See, now you just brought up something that I've always wondered about. Al came back in his 10 year-old body complete with all the memories from the point of trying to transmute mommy back. So the last thing he remembers is trying to transmute mom. That happened AFTER he and Ed trained with Izumi so he's got all his memories of his training with her. Why then, did he go back again? Did he just want MORE training?

I really like your avy, what's it from? Every time I see it I get that standard choir thing in my head that they do in movies and games when the hero has just unlocked THE door or found THE object. You know, it's like a bunch angelic voices or something, can't describe it but I can guarantee it's something everyone has heard at least once.

Eh? Good point, I never thought about that.

And my avatar? I just changed it, but the old one I was using, was taken from a comic in VGCats

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=168

Jedi28
I noticed in the English dub they have Al say, "I want MORE training" and then goes on to say how much he learned the first time with Ed and so forth. I don't remember that being in the subbed version but it's probably what they meant. I like the English lines better.

And cool site! I saw the one with FMA and Harry Potter and it's hailarious! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
andyface
i often wonder if the subbed versions are true to what is being said in japanese, the major factor being that i have d*******ed (it's sucha dirty word these days) all the episodes, but they vary fansub at times and they use different phrases, such as equivalence trade (my favourite), law of conversation (the one which i want to kill) and something else i can't remember, also names seem to change between the subs too, but which one is closest to the japanese???
not sure if that can be answered or not.
Bekkii
I have a couple of questions;

[spoiler]In episode thirty-something (Thirty six?) The girl, who's name I forget, is seen at the end of the episode dead, with her love, but she has obviously contracted the fossil illness. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but the first time she caught it it took her days, even weeks before she came anywhere near dying, so how was she able to contract the illness and die in the space of thirty seconds? And, if the illness was so easily spread and killed so quickly then, why didn't Ed catch it, too? (Perish the thought!) Also, wasn't the guy (who's name I also forget) killed when Lust stabbed him with her nails? If so, how was he able to contract Fossil illness when he was already dead? ...In fact, if it was Envy who created the illness in the first place, why did it come back so long after he/she/it left? (Argh, so confusing!)[/spoiler]
MonsterEnvy
^^The philosopher's stone broke, so I interpreted that as that the works done with a stone will all perish if it's destroyed. i'm not sure if taht's the right, but it confused me, too... but, essentially, since she was cured with the stone, and then the stone was broken, she got the disease. The rest of the people who were cured with the stone would probably die too.
Popogeejo
Yeah,Remember in the second episode envy (as Cornello) brought some birds to life but they later died (well exploded)
I think that a Perfect Stones effects on living things is perminant but an imperfects stones are only aslong as the stones life.

On non living things the effects are perminant because the stone is not continually expending power to maintain the new form...
ed's numbuh 1 fan
QUOTE(Bekkii @ Mar 25 2006, 07:41 PM) [snapback]369203[/snapback]

I have a couple of questions;

[spoiler]In episode thirty-something (Thirty six?) The girl, who's name I forget, is seen at the end of the episode dead, with her love, but she has obviously contracted the fossil illness. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but the first time she caught it it took her days, even weeks before she came anywhere near dying, so how was she able to contract the illness and die in the space of thirty seconds? And, if the illness was so easily spread and killed so quickly then, why didn't Ed catch it, too? (Perish the thought!) Also, wasn't the guy (who's name I also forget) killed when Lust stabbed him with her nails? If so, how was he able to contract Fossil illness when he was already dead? ...In fact, if it was Envy who created the illness in the first place, why did it come back so long after he/she/it left? (Argh, so confusing!)[/spoiler]

[spoiler] if i remember corectly, the disease was made Alchemically by the homunculi, or Dante (since the homunculi can't use alchemy of course) and Lust gave Lujon the stone that saved them, but the stone broke and it was spread again, maybe it was in them all that time and the stone stopped it from taking their lives, and the reason Edward or Winry did'nt get it (thank goodness) is like i said it was made alchemically so it might have gone away after it served it's purpose to kill those people...just a educated guess i suppose though ^^; [/spoiler]
Jedi28
[spoiler] Yeah, the way I understood it is that Lust and the others created the disease and spread it all around the town. The fake stone put the disease in remission but did not get rid of it. Later they thought the disease was coming back but, in fact, it was simply coming out of remission due to the stone losing its power. When Lust destroyed the stone the disease came completely out of remission all at once and killed them. I think there's three possible reasons Ed and the others were not infected:
A: The disease was never contagious, it was spread solely by the Homunculi (however they did it) and would otherwise have not been contagious to anyone. Basically person B was not catching it from person A, they were being purposefully infected by Lust and the others.
B: The disease has been in these people for a LONG time, it's just been in remission. During that time it's obvious the disease had reached the peak of its infection (due to the fact that they all died at once, even people who hadn't obviously been infected like the doctor, instead of all getting sick slowly). Though the disease was still progressing, it wasn't getting them sick or killing them thanks to the stone. That means the disease had probably already gone past the stage of contagion so it was no longer a danger to Ed and the others.
C: Everyone died INSTANTLY. It doesn't appear that Ed or the others did anything with the bodies so there was no way of them coming into contact with the disease and getting infected. By that, I mean they didn't touch them or try to bury them. So no danger of infection by contact. Since the people were all dead they obviously weren't breathing so no danger of airborne infection either. [/spoiler]
Ninth Alchemist
I'm new and just watched the first episode today (so forgive any ignorance on this subject) but what was the creature that came out of the fog after the incident?
Tombow
@Ninth Alchemist - Hi!! biggrin.gif
You sure you want to get "spoiled"??
I'm asking only because that is a big big part of the whole series storyline...
Ninth Alchemist
You mean it will get explained?
Tombow
^^ Yap. And, that's a big part of the thrill of watching that series.
Slowly learning what is was as the series progresses..
Ninth Alchemist
You mean it will be revealed in the episodes to come? if so then i don't want to know.
thanx
Tombow
Ok, I'll go back and delete the amswer in the spoiler box in my previous post. biggrin.gif
Hope you are going to like this series!! smile.gif

CutEowyn
In the manga someone said Elrics' mom is died from plague, but I think the did from loneliness or something concerning her husband.

You're able to save a poor frenchgirl... Pleaze, I think "OMG" means oh my god, but what "ZOMG" means ??
Tombow
@CutEowyn - Welcome to the board!! smile.gif
ZOMG is like OMG. It's one of several miss-typed words that became part of Internet forum "language," such as teh (the.)
My guess is that when typing OMG you have to hit the shift key, but the finger slipped and hit Z key instead, resulting in zomg when OMG should have been, and because many people did the same mistake and typed zomg for OMG, now people use ZOMG as a word also, I think.
Ther are several other words like that I see being used on the boards also. smile.gif
asunder
QUOTE(CutEowyn @ Apr 17 2006, 06:51 AM) [snapback]382164[/snapback]

In the manga someone said Elrics' mom is died from plague, but I think the did from loneliness or something concerning her husband.

You're able to save a poor frenchgirl... Pleaze, I think "OMG" means oh my god, but what "ZOMG" means ??

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=zomg

many variations on the origins from that link.

use urbandictionary if you are confused about any other internet slang.
Tyrasibion
I have a question. A pretty dumb one, because I'm sure it has a logical answer.

Human transmutation is forbidden, and people that perform human transmutation usually lose something of their own body. How is Kimbly able to change human beings into bombs by alchemy, if human transmutation is impossible?
Tombow
^^ @Tyrasibion - Let's see...Kimblee is not trying to re-construct human being, which needs body, mind, and soul to be complete (according to FMA anime, I think.)
He's only dealing with the chemical component of human body, and adding some other available chemical components from the surroundings to it, then changing that into some other chemicals and stuff that are explosive. It's rather a simple alchemy, like turning a tree into some paper and hydrogen (with some other by-products.) Tho, in his case, it's much more destructive.
Since it does not involve recreation of human being, it does not result in homuncli, nor his alchemy involving the gate, so he does not have to lose some of himself in performing that alchemy.
(Does this explain it enough?? If not, maybe others can provide better answers.. biggrin.gif )
simplicityho
But...but....Haruko has a wife!
MonsterEnvy
Actaully, I thought it was generally attributed to Archer...

Besides, Haruko probably didn't rape her. More likely, it was his men or somesuch.
CutEowyn
Please, I'd like to know what ""ph34r" means !?
CowAlchemist
QUOTE(CutEowyn @ Apr 25 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]385900[/snapback]

ph34r=phear=fear? Dunno.
sweety_pie
i havnt seen the show enough to no what a chibi was and why it is funny to call Ed one and i wanted to no what they r
Popogeejo

It's leet speak for fear.

i havnt seen the show enough to no what a chibi was and why it is funny to call Ed one

Normal Ed;
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/FMAEd.png

Chibi Ed;
http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/...cmd=si&img=4527

sweety_pie
i wanted to no who Dante was i thought she was Izumes alchemy teacher thats what i heard but i also heard that she helped kidnap Al and i wanted 2 no which one was true if either were
Popogeejo
Can re-word that please?
The New Fullmetal Alchemist
I think what they're trying to ask is this: "Is Dante Izumi's teacher? If so, why did Dante try to kidnap Al? Was she even in on the kidnapping?" That's about as re-worded as I can possibly get it... Anyway... Yes, Dante was Izumi's "sensei"... as for Al, he was kidnapped when...
[spoiler]he and Edward go to Dante's house to get medicine for Izumi; Greed and his "posse" are waiting there... Greed and Kimbly attack Edward when he's outside, and the chimeras kidnap Al when he and Dante are talking in the kitchen.[/spoiler]

As far as Dante being in on it, "no," and here's why:
[spoiler]Dante is the one who largely "controls" the homunculus; however, Greed had always been the rebel, which is why he was sealed in a room during the episodes at 5th laboratory; Dante had no control over his actions/motives when kidnapping Al.[/spoiler]

Hope that helped! smile.gif
kotick
QUOTE(FullmetalMagician @ Mar 15 2006, 02:57 AM) [snapback]363524[/snapback]

QUOTE(Winkle @ Mar 15 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]363339[/snapback]

QUOTE(Vagrant @ Feb 24 2006, 08:10 PM) [snapback]354440[/snapback]

This is about the movie, and I think it's too small of a question to merit a full topic.

[spoiler]
Uh, I don't get why Al claps when he uses alchemy in the movie. He has transmutation circles on his gloves, so why does he clap?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
Bad writing? Okay besides the Bones-bashing...

The only real explanation is that he's doing it to imitate Ed even more. Nothing else. I don't completely agree with Chiyo's answer. Roy snaps his fingers because his gloves are made of a material that creates sparks, so he snaps his fingers to start a spark and he uses his alchemy to maniuplate the oxygen in the air to control the flames and explosions. Hence why he's "useless" in the rain, if his gloves get wet, they won't be able to create sparks when he snaps his fingers.

Roy's alchemy powers has nothing to do with him creating flames, he just maniuplates it. Snapping of his fingers just creates sparks to start the flames. We see in that one episode in the end where him and Armstrong are trying to capture Ed and Al, and he uses Havoc's matches to "attack" Ed after his gloves get wet, and he never snaps his fingers there.

Also, another example, Armstrong has alchemy circles drawn on his gauntlets, and he doesn't have to do anything to use his alchemy. We've seen him punch the ground, or a chunk of rock and he can transmute them just through contact, no clapping of the hands, or any other actions required.

So in theory, Al should be able to transmute just fine without clapping his hands, but as I said before, he's doing it just to imitate Ed even more and he does it so often that it becomes a force of habit.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]But then how did he imitate his bro? He didn't remember anything about how Ed looks like with his national alchemist clothes because he turned back into being a 10 y.o... and he's looking for Ed... and then... about how Al do alchemy is because of those transmutation circle on his gloves...
and there's this thing in the manga when Al was still a metal thing, he said to himself that he wants to be like his brother because Ed only claps when he is doing alchemy, and Al is kinds jealous about that.[/spoiler]

You are forgeting something important. I guess there're different types of alchemy. You can do alchemy using a trasmutation circle, that has every aspect of the equation, or you can use a generic circle to different kind of reactions (like Magijal). Also, you can use INCOMPLETE circles to do even more reactions, like two diferent incomplete circles to do almost anything. If you use those, you have to clap your hands to complete the equation, making it complete and using you whole body to completing the circle. Kimbly usually did it (remember? when he was trying to enter the southern headquarters, he took one guy over there to make the explosion, but before, he clapped his hands...) and other alchemists did it as well. So, i believe, Al claps his hands not for imitate his older brother, he's a pretty good alchemist, who to do a lot of alchemic reactions quickly uses two incomplete circles in his gloves. He can do it because Izumi's advanced training and all his knowledge. So, it's not just a nostalgic memory, it's about alchemy and how good Al is.

That's my theory, so, correct me if i'm wrong.
Silent Whisper
-K- Guys i got a question did not know where to put it but i saw it somewhere that all questions go here or something like that. Well sorry if this is not in the right thread. I also looked every where for something relating to it but well here it goes. Why is there so many pics of Ed like kissing roy and stuff like that? i have not seen all of the episodes so maybe it is in an episode or something. I see the pictures every where. Its not like it bothers me or anything but i have just been vary curious. rolleyes.gif

[attachmentid=5540]see things like this
Zarpia
Is called "yaoi" and every, well not every fangirl, but must of them like to see the hot characters of some anime together...more than together. Do not worry, that pic has nothing to do with the anime. so keep watching it laugh.gif
Silent Whisper
oh okay thanks for that. i have been woundering about that for a while biggrin.gif
Fullmini Alchemist
Wow could you imagine what the show would have been like if there had been an Ed/Mustang relationship?
Tombow
QUOTE(Fullmini Alchemist @ May 8 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]392628[/snapback]
Wow could you imagine what the show would have been like if there had been an Ed/Mustang relationship?
Ummm... Have you watched FMA movie?? tongue.gif
Seriously, there is a Roy/Ed relationship in FMA anime, I think. Tho, maybe not the way Yaoi fan might like to see/hoped to see (?).. biggrin.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I have two questions. Sorry if they have been asked already.

#1. While watching one of the OAVs last night I began to wonder. Why in the world would Greed, who was the ultimate shield and basically immortal, want to be transfered into a suit of armor like Al? It just doesn't make sense. It seems to me that being a suit of amor would have way more disadvantages then being a homonculus.

#2. I realize it's a big part of the story but when Ed and Al made Sloth why did the gate take Al's entire body and Ed's arm. Scars brother only lost his man-bits and Izumi lost most of her digestive and reproductive organs. Why did the gate hand them such a big bill?

Popogeejo
#1. While watching one of the OAVs last night I began to wonder. Why in the world would Greed, who was the ultimate shield and basically immortal, want to be transfered into a suit of armor like Al? It just doesn't make sense. It seems to me that being a suit of amor would have way more disadvantages then being a homonculus.

Greed beives being an armour will offer him true imortaility. As a homunculus he still gets tired and can die but as an armour death is almost impossibe especialy if he puts a cover over the blood seal.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I didn't think homonculus get tired. They don't seem to anyway. Plus, considering what one has to go through to seal a homonculus moving into a suit of armor seems to be a moot point.

Also, that wouldn't work because Greed doesn't have a soul. Although I'm not sure he realized how one was moved into a suit of armor at that point.
Popogeejo
Technicly his soul would be that black being from inside the gate right? I mean that just posesses a human body or the components there of so going into a Armour isn't beyond possibility.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I think the soul of who Greed used to be is in the gate but Greed himself would not have a soul. Homonculus are just basically souless carbon copies of who they used to be but without the memory of who they used to be since technically they are no longer that person.
Popogeejo
I know that but you know those black baby like things in the Gate? From what I can tell one of those replaces the soul of the intended target.
So instead of Trishas soul we got Sloth. Instead of Izumi's child we got Wrath.
Homunculi are just soul like things that posess a body so technicly they should be able to go from vesel to vesel like Dante.
The Red stones help the Homuncs maintain the body they inhabit and they can't jump into a living body that already has a soul.
If Greed got a suit of Armour and slapped on a blood seal he could leave his Body and jump into the seal. In theory atleast.
Tombow
@Envy's lil' miniskirt - I had the same qestion about why Greed wanted to became like Al!!
Someone told me that at that point Greed hadn't realized about Al's weakness, about the bloodseal (and, as you know, it gets worse because later on in the story we found out that Al can't even get his bloodseal wet also.)
Why Greed so hastely trying to became like Al, without considering pros and cons of becoming a soul in the chink of armor more carefully??
Maybe Greed got blinded by, you know, his greediness?? biggrin.gif

And, about the second question, I simply chuck it up that so that the FMA story can begin?? laugh.gif
burstangel
QUOTE(Taline @ Jul 20 2005, 04:32 AM) [snapback]219294[/snapback]

Okay, first stupid question, and I am very ashamed at having to ask this as an FMA fan, but what is the exact inscription on the inside of Ed's pocketwatch? Or perhaps, just the ep. number where I can find it? I'm paranoid cause I want to get a watch for an Ed cosplay, but with so many bootlegs out there... I've heard the inscription on the boots is wrong date-wise, so if someone could tell me exactly what it's supposed to be, I'd be eternally grateful. I just don't want to get ripped off by a fake. Thanks!

hey! ive got one, i got it at www.anime-pn-line.com, its where u get loadsa anime stuff dont u no wots in the watch? its says : dont forget october 3rd! (i think its definatly oct but cant rember if its 3rd??)[font=Fixedsys][size=3]
Tombow
QUOTE(burstangel @ May 18 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]397142[/snapback]
QUOTE(Taline @ Jul 20 2005, 04:32 AM) [snapback]219294[/snapback]
Okay, first stupid question, and I am very ashamed at having to ask this as an FMA fan, but what is the exact inscription on the inside of Ed's pocketwatch? Or perhaps, just the ep. number where I can find it? I'm paranoid cause I want to get a watch for an Ed cosplay, but with so many bootlegs out there... I've heard the inscription on the boots is wrong date-wise, so if someone could tell me exactly what it's supposed to be, I'd be eternally grateful. I just don't want to get ripped off by a fake. Thanks!
hey! ive got one, i got it at www.anime-pn-line.com, its where u get loadsa anime stuff dont u no wots in the watch? its says : dont forget october 3rd! (i think its definatly oct but cant rember if its 3rd??)[font=Fixedsys][size=3]
@burstangel - Ummm... thank you for posting the answer, but... that question was posted on July 20 of last year, and the question was answered around that time also. biggrin.gif
(And, the person who posted that question hasn't been here since last September. tongue.gif )
Brig.General Hughes
i hav a question like that, in the last episode gluttony found donte in the elevador and attacked her. after that you never found out what happened to dante or gluttony, i mean dante is an all-powerful alchemist you wouldnt think that she was eaten by gluttony. im stumped i dont no if she is dead or gluttony.
Automne
Watch the movie.
Brig.General Hughes
well where i live it hasnt came out yet but thanks for the advice
Tombow
^^ @Brig.General Hughes - If you really want to know, and don't mind learning part of movie story...In the movie, that continues the storyline from the FMA series,
[spoiler]We see Gluttony, now in monstrously figured eating monstar, but we don't see Dante in the movie. Leading us to conclude that Dante was eaten by Gluttony in the elevator.[/spoiler]
shadowkat
Please bare with me. I'm new to the FMA anime thing. Started watching the series on Cartoon Network a little over a year ago. I have seen almost all eposides up to the point where Al gets hid body back and Ed is in the other world. Is that the end of the series, or the end of the season? Cartoon Network has moved the times on this show so often it's hard to keep track of when it's on anymore. I realize that there has apparently been a movie released recently. Does that continue the story where the series ends? Does anyone know if the series will continue after the movie? Sorry so many questions but it's been a real pleasure watching this show. Wonderful story and extremely well written.Thanks for your time.
Tombow
@shadowkat - Welcome to the board!! smile.gif
No problem having bunch of questions, and thank you for posting on the right thread!! biggrin.gif

The FMA series ended with episode 51, with Al getting his body back, and Ed in the other world, as you saw.
The sotry continues to FMA "Shambara" movie, and the movie sort of acted like episode 52, concluding the seires story-line.

The movie was released in Japan last year, and scheduled to be released in U.S.A. this fall.
If interested, you can read movie summary, and whole bunch of FMA movie discussions in our FMA movie sub-forum. smile.gif

So far, as far as we know, there is no sign of any more FMA episodes, nor another movie.

And, I think current re-run is on CN Monday night, 10:30 Eastern time, and Saturday night, 9:30 Eastern time (tho I could be wrong. Please double check your local listings. biggrin.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.