Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Raiden-18, Arakawa's Other Work
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2
adamclark
Did you read what she wrote in the front of volume one? first i was surprised to find out that the creator of the show was a woman.

personally i guess i never really thought about the creator's gender, but i guess it took a woman to come up with such a intricate and creative storyline.

but anyway, she wrote that she loves b-movies, and that they were in part inspiration for her story.

now that's shocking! i'd never thought those things could produce anything good, since nothing good was put in producing them!
Envious...
Yes I was also surprised when I found out the creator was a woman (nothing sexist mind you).

Her B-movie comment was amusing.

"What the hell kind of alchemy is that?!"
MasterKris
At first, I thought Arakawa-sensei WAS a woman. (Her comments sounds so woman-ish) But then I heard around that she was a guy, so I'm like, REALLY??? blink.gif
But then I knew they were misunderstood after I read the Hiromu Arakawa-sensei's biography at Encyclopedia.com.
Mostly, I'm suprised at guys who draws mangas, not women.
Chibi Viki
actually, what makes arakawa-sensei stand out is the fact that her series is a shonen (boys) title which are usually done by male artists. she's like rumiko takahashi, creator of the ranma 1/2 and inu yasha series.

but what makes her different is the way she tells her story. she doesn't need the addition of nudity, exagerated violence and other types of fan service to capture her audience ... just her story.

since FMA was under a shonen manga magazine, Shonen Gangan Monthly, most people thought she was a guy.

Have you guys seen her first project? the leading characters look like Havoc and Lust, someone posted the pic in this forum a few months ago.
adamclark
yeah, chibi, i was impressed that she was able to tell a great and captivating story without unneccessary nudity and volence. which, of course, male writers (and readers) usually tend to add/want.

and i'm not going by stereotypes, i'm a guy, and i know that is common in American pop-culture at least, far too common.

it shows that Arakawa is a very talented writer and artist, that she didn't have to pander to create an execptional manga. I would love to read other things she's created.
Sensenic
QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ Jul 20 2005, 05:10 PM)
Have you guys seen her first project? the leading characters look like Havoc and Lust, someone posted the pic in this forum a few months ago.
[snapback]220042[/snapback]

Where be it? Me wants... ohmy.gif
MasterKris
What's more suprising is that this is her very first manga!! Such a sucess at her first story. Arakawa-sensei has the definite talent for mangas.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I wasn't all that suprised when I learned the author was a woman. It makes perfect sense since, like a couple of people pointed out, there's not a lot of fanservice nudity or violence. Also there are several strong female characters in this series which is rare in anime.
QUOTE(MasterKris @ Jul 20 2005, 03:16 PM)
What's more suprising is that this is her very first manga!! Such a sucess at her first story. Arakawa-sensei has the definite talent for mangas.
[snapback]220474[/snapback]

It's not her very first manga. She has drawn up a few short one-chapter mangas (less than 10) before this. FMA is her very first serialised manga however.
foolmetal alchemist
FMA was actually the first manga I had ever read, so I wasn't surprised by Arakawa being a female. I had no idea that most shounen authors were male at the time.
Chibi Viki
QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 21 2005, 12:56 AM)
QUOTE(MasterKris @ Jul 20 2005, 03:16 PM)
[snapback]220474[/snapback]

It's not her very first manga. She has drawn up a few short one-chapter mangas (less than 10) before this. FMA is her very first serialised manga however.
[snapback]220591[/snapback]

oh, i see. sorry about that. but does anyone know where we could at least see her past works? (hehe, me wonders if she has other characters that look like roy and riza)
adamclark
yeah, i like the fact that she included many strong and significant female characters.

in that sense it is very well-balanced. there are strong male and female characters that help move the story along.

i mean, in reality, it was the influence of a woman that started the story in the first place, i.e: Trisha Elrich.
Saturn Stars
I also became another fan of hers. The way she tells the story and keeps the readers captivated without anything BUT the story (as was said) is truly amazing.

People go crazy for FMA, I being one. And when I found out that the author was a female, I was certainly suprised. But now that I look at the manga and start to realise more, I would be shocked if a male was writing something as FMA.

You can tell a female writes it and the input of strong female characters makes it all that more intresting
GS4Life
Yeah I'm suprised that a lot of women write Mangas. My favorites are Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragonball, Inuyasha, DBZ, and Yu Yu Hakusho. IY was also written by a women IIRC.
adamclark
but in terms of her b-movie comment , i'm beginning to see its influence. not in the story, but all those corny little jokes at the end of each manga is very b-movieish. good thing they didn't bring any of that over to the anime!
Electrastar
I knew she was a woman, and I'm darn proud of it (being a woman myself)

Why?

Because, rare are the women who make shonen mangas that are actually popular. I don't want to generalize, but women tend to make mangas aimed for a female audience and more often than naught, it only appeals to that audience. And to be honest, shoujo mangas tend to repeat themselves quite ofen.

So yes, I'm very happy that a woman's work and art and story appeal to both the male and female genre, it's wonderful. I would have loved FMA even if the author was a man, but I like it even more because the author is a woman biggrin.gif
Hikusa Rockgirl X
For the ones that want to see more Hiromu-sensei works ^o.o
i dont know if this has been posted yet... o_o
but i'm sharing it anywayz a friend of mine named Kayter shared it ^^;

IPB Image

http://tennisnooujisama.free.fr/Raiden-18.zip

I would love to see this translated XD
the girl just looks like Ranfaaaan!! x3
and the guy *i think his name is Raiden-18? xD* looks a bit like Scar o:
QUOTE(Hikusa Rockgirl X @ Jul 30 2005, 03:51 AM)

IPB Image

[snapback]232579[/snapback]

Yeah, it's her latest one-chapter work. Looks like she needed a break from FMA tongue.gif It's quite funny as well.
adamclark
that's a cool looking comic!

so when will it come to america??

heh, i won't hold my breathe!

i'm still waiting for her FMA Art book to come over.
hakai-kun
Heh. I love that Tachibana lady ^^; she's so funny (and scary. l0l)

thanks for sharing! I loved it laugh.gif
Scars of love
QUOTE(adamclark @ Jul 30 2005, 02:42 PM)
that's a cool looking comic!

so when will it come to america??

heh, i won't hold my breathe!

i'm still waiting for her FMA Art book to come over.
[snapback]232904[/snapback]

Do you have her FMA Complete Book Material Side? I found it at an anime shop. it's just all the line act and stuff from the anime. none of her artwork. nice colored pages and some posters.
adamclark
no, i never saw that book. i want to get the artbook, but it will come out in november.
fireball87
I can't say that im all that surprised that it was writen by a girl, actually, come to think about it, i didn't really think about who the author was at all _ _. I just started reading it like i do most mangas or whatever. I normally won't look into who the author is tell I've read/enjoyed it, and im somewhat new to actually reading the series.
adamclark
QUOTE(fireball87 @ Aug 1 2005, 06:12 AM)
I can't say that im all that surprised that it was writen by a girl, actually, come to I normally won't look into who the author is tell I've read/enjoyed it, and im somewhat new to actually reading the series.
[snapback]236435[/snapback]

I am generally like that, but in terms of other media, as I was not into manga until FMA. I first got into the show and had no idea who the author was or that it was based on a manga until i buy the first DVD.

I didn't realise Hiromu was woman until i read her bio in the volume one manga (sorry i am unfamiliar with japanese names).
I wasn't suprised that Arakawa Sensei is a woman.. why?? Because of the IY series ^^;; But FMA is the second shounen series that got me seriously hooked (first was Detective Conan).
Senefen
I just found out death note was done by a woman, now that suprised me heaps more than FMA O.o. I've known for ages about Rumiko Takahashi (sp? InuYasha and ranma 1/2), Arakawa-sensei being a girl wasnt that massive a surprise.
QUOTE(Senefen @ Aug 7 2005, 12:02 AM)
I just found out death note was done by a woman, now that suprised me heaps more than FMA O.o. I've known for ages about Rumiko Takahashi (sp? InuYasha and ranma 1/2), Arakawa-sensei being a girl wasnt that massive a surprise.
[snapback]244665[/snapback]

Death Note is done by a guy... his photo even appeared on the Death Note bonus pages... dry.gif
Senefen
Really tongue.gif, one of the editor/translators was bitching about the Authors crappy english (spelling Zack, Zakk) and the editor keep refering to the author as "she". My bad.
QUOTE(Hikusa Rockgirl X @ Jul 30 2005, 03:51 AM)

IPB Image

[snapback]232579[/snapback]

Looks like your wish got answered tongue.gif
http://manga.anime-source.com/manga/index.php
QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 7 2005, 02:26 AM)
QUOTE(Senefen @ Aug 7 2005, 12:02 AM)
[snapback]244665[/snapback]

Death Note is done by a guy... his photo even appeared on the Death Note bonus pages... dry.gif
[snapback]244749[/snapback]

i think death note is drawn by a guy... but the author of the story is a woman.
Zyric
QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 7 2005, 07:21 PM)
[snapback]245635[/snapback]

Thank you!
Sensenic
QUOTE (Zyric @ Aug 8 2005, 07:09 PM)
QUOTE (Guest @ Aug 7 2005, 07:21 PM)

Thank you!

Same here!

Yay for good ol' Yebyosh!
Hikusa Rockgirl X
QUOTE (Guest @ Aug 7 2005, 09:21 PM)
QUOTE (Hikusa Rockgirl X @ Jul 30 2005, 03:51 AM)

YAY! now i'm teh happy! SANKYUUU
*gives you Edo-cookies* x3333
Aoko-chan
That girl on the cover DOES look like Ran Fan ^^;;Except, RanFan doesn't wear a skirt tongue.gif
Zyric
QUOTE(Aoko-chan @ Aug 11 2005, 09:36 PM)
That girl on the cover DOES look like Ran Fan ^^;;Except, RanFan doesn't wear a skirt tongue.gif
[snapback]249075[/snapback]

Unfortunately. Maybe Ling will get ideas from Mustang though biggrin.gif
Senefen
LOL @ the thought of Ling becoming Roy's protege.
Keos
When I first saw the manga and read it, I had a picture of a woman in my mind (just the way she handles the omake humour probably.... and her reference to herself as a cow in such a comic way like some female artists tend to do). So when everyone else, out of the blue, were speaking of the Japanese fans' amazement at the discovery of the gender of the author, I was surprised everyone made such a big deal out of it. Even if she wrote a shounen series, I see that as no reason to assume that she was more likely a man.... kind of like Rumiko Takahashi and her works.

Arakawa-sensei's idea for this manga was brilliant of course, very original and some friends were amazed that she could do such a good job given she was doing a shounen series and was a woman. I thought there was nothing extraordinary about that at all.... seriously, if there's anything more to consider on it, we'll be going back to the old sexism arguments. blink.gif
Sensenic
Chapter 2!!

QUOTE (ElvishVamp @ Feb 26 2006, 12:11 AM) *
Raiden 18 chapter 2 came out?! How could I miss that... *goes to search for it*

Just go here. wink.gif

Hope they scanlate it soon... This one, while still comic (I LLLOVE Stalin's scene) seems quite darker...

- Piroshki!
- I Don't Speak Russian! *hits*
- Tokarev!

XD
ElvishVamp
Arigato, Sensenic! happy.gif
FullmetalMagician
O.o???
AA battery
Raiden 18 has chapter 2? I Thought it was only a one-shot... oh, so much love. I shall download it now and read it after my beauty sleep <3

*gets poked by Microbiology textbook*
MasterKris
^I was surprised too. I never thought Raiden 18 would have a chapter 2 cause the first chap kinda seem to be cut-off....

DUDE! The cover looks awsome!! tongue.gif
AA battery
Raiden chap 2 was awesome XD It's funny XDDD

Is it just me or did the first andriod resembles King Bradley?
[spoiler]
(lmao, those photos are all edited XD except for the last one)[/spoiler]
Sensenic
QUOTE (armor-alchemist @ Mar 23 2006, 11:59 AM) *
Raiden chap 2 was awesome XD It's funny XDDD

Is it just me or did the first andriod resembles King Bradley?

(lmao, those photos are all edited XD except for the last one)

It's Stalin... happy.gifU

And, now that you've read it (you lucky, you...) can you confirm this for me?
I got the feeling, from the little few parts I could understand in Jap, that, while still funny, this chapter was quite darker, and more serious, when introducing Tachibana's misterious longevity (or was it? I dunno, cuz I didn't understand. Don't tell me, tho', thx happy.gif )...
*reads the post again*
Add on: Oh, so you spoiled it.... thanks... sleep.gifU
Well, anyway the question remains... Don't you have the feeling that this chapter is somewhat "darker"?

Oh, and BTW, I loved the short dialogue...
Stalin: Piroshki!
Raiden: I don't speak Russia-go! *hits* (Russia-go = Russian, I put it in "Japanese" cuz the rest of the frase is in English in the original happy.gif)
Stalin (while being hit): Tokarev!

XDDDD

Note: Piroshki is some kind of Russian food/meal, and tokarev is a kind of gun. Also Russian, fcourse! ( n_n)-b
Tombow
^^He, @Sensenic - my Russian friend used to make that. smile.gif
Piroshki
[attachmentid=4602]

And... about Tokarev guns
Fedor Tokarev was the famous Russian weapon engineer who developed a series of pistols called TT (Tula-Tokarev, or Tulskiy Tokarev, i.e. Tokarev from Tula, a Russian town which is famous for its weapon manufacturing plants, known in the US as "Soviet Tula"), rifles and carbines, called Tokarev rifles. Tokarev's pistols and rifles were the basic weapon for the Soviet Army during World War II.
(My friend's brother served in Russian army. smile.gif )

And, I'm still waiting for the scanscanscanscan.... !! Someone post it pueeze!!! happy.gif
AA battery
QUOTE (Tombow @ Mar 23 2006, 04:08 AM) *
And, I'm still waiting for the scanscanscanscan.... !! Someone post it pueeze!!! happy.gif

ZOMGFTA eventually will, wee!

Sensenic: ... since ZOMGFTA eventually will scanlate it, I actually didn't bother with using dictionary and just read it as much as I can by raw... but yea as you said, I spoiled it for you already, muwahahaha *goes edit the old post with a spoiler tag*
Sensenic
@AA battery - Oh, spoiltagged it myself too. Damn ye...

And, BTW, I thought you had read the Chinese scanlated version? It came out quite a long ago, by those guys... Jojohot,yeah, that's it...
The link is in the first post of the bos_taurus livejournal community, IIRC. smile.gif
AA battery
ohhhh... *reads*

page 1 - 4 doesn't work though TT^TT It's a little confusing... the plot itself is actually not THAT serious XD

and... of course, I can do a very very rough translation of page 5 - 14 for now (plz refer to CSakuraS and Umeko's for reference when they finish... cuz well, I dunno how accurate these Chinese trans really are as they are unoffical)

Edit with MS Paint, w00t (to show its rough-ness XD)

(Please bear in mind that these translations are only to give you a GENERAL idea of what's going on... I rushed them so for some I twisted the wording a bit for my own convinence... and I didn't check with the Japanese version except for names.)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/edoxa...yofJOJO_005.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/edoxa...yofJOJO_006.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/edoxa...yofJOJO_007.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/edoxa...yofJOJO_008.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/edoxa...yofJOJO_009.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/edoxa...yofJOJO_010.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/edoxa...yofJOJO_011.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/edoxa...yofJOJO_012.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/edoxa...yofJOJO_013.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a91/edoxa...yofJOJO_014.jpg

*sigh* that took 1.5 hour...

*drops dead asleep... no wait, only 15 minutes left before I am supposed to wake up for school... TTATT I better not fall asleep in class again... no point for sleeping for 15 minutes now... sigh*

Sensenic, I shall blame you for telling me that the first post in bos_tuaras had the chinese scans. *kicks you* I was planning to study after I drew my Hinata pic here! *cries*
Sensenic
OT:

blink.gif

Thanks for the scans, but, milady, with all due respect, you're nutz!

Really, you shouldn't have been awake all night long... Now I'm worried about you sad.gif and even feel guilty, for telling you. Darnit!

oh my gosh...

PS: kiwi Hinata ya got there... BTW, If ya follow Naruto, hope you read chapter 300... Look who's back wink.gif
AA battery
OT:

Not to mention that I had a fever 4 days ago (not anymore now) and I fall asleep during Microbiology class @___@ I hope the prof didn't notice... (even tho, in a class with size over 200 students, the profw usually don't care...) I should review her notes later about whatever she said about Polio virus..... (gah, Influenza next week @@)

and sadly, you weren't the first one to tell me about chapter 300... I told myself that I should finish Chemistry homework first but I guess you can probably see me poking narutofan.com in like, half an hour later XD

Computer as well as all anime and manga is the source of all evil. *sigh* and I recommand that you should check out THIS that I drew just to show how twisted my brain is. ^_____^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.