Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When To Buy
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > Original Japanese episodes (with sub)
anime_power!
<Moving from FMA Anime American Audience sub-forum to FMA Anime Japanese Audience sub-forum where all DVD related threads are being collected currently. 02/21/07 ~Tombow>

First:
I don't have a lot of money, or inteligence huh.gif , and I was wondering if I should buy the box and Vol. 1 and then buy them until I have the full box set, or If I should just wait for the whole box set to be avalible and then purchase it as a full set.

Second:
What is the best place to find all of the current avalible FMA to buy or pre-order?
adamclark
lemme first say that if you do buy, goto best buy or walmart. do not goto a dvd specialty store, like movie stop, unless you cannot find the dvd anywhere else, because you will pay $10 more.

Considering that there is no set date for a complete box set, and that they only have 12 episodes currently on dvd (in 3 volumes), AND that they don't have the whole series translated into english (at least they have not aired the 2nd season on tv.), it may be a while before the whole deal is out.

and if you wanna buy the "box set" of volume one, just keep in mind the only difference between it and just the regular volume one is the soundtrack is included (which can be downloaded free online), and a higher price.

my advice is to collect the volumes as they are released. like i said before there are three currently available, and the next one should be out at the end of July, the 26 i think. the next one after that comes out in sept.

to follow up, about where to buy:

i bought the first one at best buy, and at that time they only had that one copy. then several weeks later i saw volume three at walmart and bought it there, but they did not have vol two.

SOOOO i had to goto a movie stop and there i found vol two, but at bestbuy and walmart they were $19 and movie stop it was about $30 after taxes (which is full retail price).

Now I went to bestbuy the other day and saw they had all three. So i'd day bestbuy, if there is one in your area...
foolmetal alchemist
Target is also selling them for $20 dollars I believe, but I ordered all of mine off Amazon for $15.
aytchmadd
you do realize that buying them each individually will cost more in the long run? if want to watch them just rent them. buy the box set when it comes out.
adamclark
well aytchmadd, you are right, i think i tried to calculate how much it would cost in the end to buy each volume and it scared me (100's of dollars). but what can someone do when they don't want to wait for the box set to come out. and that's to say if they ever do come out with one (which they prob would, considering FMA's popularity.
The Man Who Laughed
A friend of mine seen the whole boxed set at the fair for $75 but I dunno if it was translated or with subtitles
adamclark
i dont think that was an "official" dvd set, if it was in english. but i'm sure they have the series in japanese, and since it was a dvd, they probably have subtitles as an option.
Volte
Or you could just buy the DVDs with the episodes you like.
Longsword
This also depends if you can speak Japanese or not, and whether you have multi-region dvd player. You can get the entire series pretty cheap on import, but the subbing is atrocious and there is no dubbing. I have the entire series on Japanese release, but Funimation has much higher production values of course.
adamclark
i agree with you, Longsword. I've watched season two online and think the job of the subbing was very poor. I think one episode did a decent job of translating the opening credits and dialogue (and it was the last episode too!).

but in terms of an American "box set," i've read that late 05 they will come out with the next box dvd set (the first being volume one with the soundtrack.) Now I don't know what it will contain, considering by that time only volume 6 will be out, and that does not cover all of season one.

but it will be a box set...of something.
There are no english subtitles on the official Japanese DVD release of FMA. It's either from an HK-DVD, which is usually Region 0, has low quality english(and chinese) subtitles, and costs way less than it should for the complete series. Or it was a fansubbed version, which you shouldn't be paying for.

You cannot get the series cheap on import, www.cdjapan.co.jp sells the real DVDs and they cost about $50 USD per volume. So the series is several hundred dollars for the real thing.
Longsword
QUOTE(Guest @ Jul 27 2005, 08:21 PM)
There are no english subtitles on the official Japanese DVD release of FMA. It's either from an HK-DVD, which is usually Region 0, has low quality english(and chinese) subtitles, and costs way less than it should for the complete series.
[snapback]229578[/snapback]

Yup, I believe it is the HK version I was referring to originally -got the the complete series as a gift, so I presume it was cheap. To answer the original posters question then... Yes, if you are not willing to await for the complete series and the inevitable boxed set, you need to hunt down the lowest prices you can find, which might be Amazon/Ebay/other discount online stores.
Kooy
yea as he said the thats 75 buck is the full dvd box set but it's in japanese if i wer eyou i would just wait for the complete box. Thats what i am doing. Besides it will cost you more money in the long run
AlphonseRules
QUOTE(aytchmadd @ Jul 19 2005, 01:06 PM)
you do realize that buying them each individually will cost more in the long run?  if want to watch them just rent them. buy the box set when it comes out.
[snapback]218459[/snapback]

But then you're blowing your savings on renting each volume anyway.

I'd say an official box set would be at least 150 and probably closer to 200, if they ever come out with one.
Scars of love
Just by the damn dvds as they come out. a box set won't be for a while. i think the they're having another starter set for season 2 near the end of the year not a boxseet. if 4 episodes is 20 bucks just think how much a boxset with 25 episodes would cost.....don't be a moron buy them now. or just tape them. but unless you have broadband and download videos online then you won't see the full endings of FMA that can only be seen on the DVDs.
adamclark
i think scars of love put it the best.

since each volume comes out every two months, it's not as if you can't save up $20. unless you wanna buy the four which are out at the same time, then you'll be spending at least $80. ouch.
Aog
Do what im doing and record the eps. on DVD unitl you get them all.
The chances that FUNimation will actually release a full box set are very slim. I don't think they've even ever released an entire series on one box set before.
Keiko-san
I got most of mine from best buy. It's the same as target. And they have a lot more anime. Of course pre-order isn't too bad either. It probably depends on where everything goes on sale. I'm waiting for the 2nd game.*sigh*
Scottimus Prime
Does anyone know what the Fullmetal Alchemist 2nd Box Set will include?
DemonicFlare-Alchemist
QUOTE(anime_power! @ Jul 19 2005, 09:15 AM)
First:
I don't have a lot of money, or inteligence huh.gif , and I was wondering if I should buy the box and Vol. 1 and then buy them until I have the full box set, or If I should just wait for the whole box set to be avalible and then purchase it as a full set.

Second:

What is the best place to find all of the current avalible FMA to buy or pre-order?
[right][snapback]218400[/snapback][/right]
I think you should wait because it makes it easier to just get all the dvds in one and get it for one price. That's my opinion!
Isuma
QUOTE(Scottimus Prime @ Aug 25 2005, 10:57 PM)
Does anyone know what the Fullmetal Alchemist 2nd Box Set will include?
[right][snapback]262153[/snapback][/right]

I would also like to know what its going to have. I've been concidering buying the first box but if this is a better deal I'm gonna wait till it comes out.
adamclark
People have been talking a lot about the 2nd box set lately and I've done my best to research and, right now, their is no "official" word on what is being included in it.

Considering that the first one merely included Volume 1 (Ep. 1-4) and the soundtrack, my guess it was include Volume 6 (which is the volume being released with it) plus possibly another soundtrack, along with artwork, etc.

It probably won't be a boxed set of the episodes, since by that time they will have not yet even released all episodes from season one onto DVD.

Finally, the thing won't come out until late November, so the producers may not have even decided on what will be in it. The only info we have concerning it's release is in the accompanying booklet in the latest release, Volume 4.
Fullmetal Fugazi
release dates:
disc 5 Sept 20
disc 6 Nov 15
box set #2 Nov 15

from what I've heard box set #2 is going to be similar to box set #1 only it will include the modern soundtrack (updated/additional songs)

I seriously doubt that funmation would release a series box set any time soon. They would lose so much money. If they do make a series box set it would be after FMA is OVER. Right now they are soaking $20-30 a disc depending where you shop, they are raking it in BIG TIME and it will continue that way I feel, till the show has ended. Then shortly after that they will release a whole series box set in several extreamly attractive cases with extra bonus features and maybe even a special figurene or two......and a ton of people will buy them.....even the ones who already bought the regular discs. Why you ask, because that is how the industry works sad.gif

so my advice to any FMA fan who can save $20-30 every few months....just buy'em now and enjoy watching them over and over, any time you want like I do. I dont look at it like I'm losing money in the long run, I look at it like I'm spending $30 once every few months to treat myself to some thing I enjoy a lot smile.gif .

Another thing I noticed is that WalMart, Target, and Best Buy (by me any way) stopped carrying FMA. They all had discs 1 & 2 then none of them had disc 3 untill 3 weeks after the official release date, Target finaly got it in. As far as disc 4....niether of them got it in, still to this day I dont see it in any of those stores sad.gif but I am thankfull that the FYE (like a samgoodie) have them stocked first thing on the release day biggrin.gif I pay $30 dry.gif but at least I get what I love and I dont have to waste time and gas searching all the other places to get it.

anyone else have trouble finding the discs?
adamclark
QUOTE(Fullmetal Fugazi @ Sep 11 2005, 07:31 PM)
Another thing I noticed is that WalMart, Target, and Best Buy (by me any way) stopped carrying FMA.  They all had discs 1 & 2 then none of them had disc 3 untill 3 weeks after the official release date, Target finaly got it in.  As far as disc 4....niether of them got it in, still to this day I dont see it in any of those stores  sad.gif  but I am thankfull that the FYE (like a samgoodie) have them stocked first thing on the release day  biggrin.gif  I pay $30  dry.gif  but at least I get what I love and I dont have to waste time and gas searching all the other places to get it.

anyone else have trouble finding the discs?
[right][snapback]281715[/snapback][/right]

That's strange, the Walmart and Best Buy near me has the latest in stock. I usually go to Walmart, because its guarenteed they'll have the latest release, although maybe not the older ones, but Best Buy is pretty unreliable.

If I'm desparate I go to Movie Stop, which is like FYE and pay the ridiculous $30.
Fullmetal Fugazi
yeah well unfortunatly for me that is what I've been stuck with as my only option
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.