Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Do You Think?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Game > FMA Trading Card Game
JasonWinter
Just fishing for information here...

If you've taken the demo at a con or printed it out from the web site or looked over the rules or read about it in a magazine or just looked at the cards or whatever, I'd like to know what you think of the game right now. I'd like to get more than a "It's cool" or "I don't like it" response. What do you like (or don't like)? Why do you like (or not like) it?

Remember, the more information you provide, the better we can make the game! Thanks!
Kyo_Umerio
here is some information. Liza Hawkeye????? who is that? i dont know her? shes not in the show? shes not the Manga? hmmm.... i understand the concept of Engrish.... but Riza sounds a hell of a lot better than Liza, that's just my opinion though. anyone else with the same opinion please Speak your mind.

~Kyo
JasonWinter
QUOTE(Kyo_Umerio @ Aug 15 2005, 11:04 PM)
here is some information. Liza Hawkeye????? who is that? i dont know her? shes not in the show? shes not the Manga? hmmm.... i understand the concept of Engrish.... but Riza sounds a hell of a lot better than Liza, that's just my opinion though. anyone else with the same opinion please Speak your mind.

~Kyo
[snapback]252931[/snapback]

That's what FUNimation told us to use. I don't have the episode in front of me, but I'd imagine that's how her name is printed when she's introduced in ep 5.
Kyo_Umerio
QUOTE(JasonWinter @ Aug 17 2005, 12:59 PM)

~Kyo

That's what FUNimation told us to use. I don't have the episode in front of me, but I'd imagine that's how her name is printed when she's introduced in ep 5.
[snapback]254233[/snapback]

When shes introduced in Episode 5 her first name isn't given, only her Rank and Last Name. " Major Hawkeye " i'm not trying to be an asshole by anymeans, forgive me if its coming off like that. i have been waiting for this card game, was going to be the only card game i collected since the Jr. High Days of Pokemon ~_~.... evil.... evil pokemon.... Anyways... back to my point. i have the 4 current DVD's out in the US as well as Both the PS2 games released. in both games her name appears as Riza Hawkeye. and in DVD 3 of the US FMA series is a booklet, including 2 pages of info on Riza Hawkeye (well... a paragraph and pictures. but it spans two pages) so here is the Scan from the OFFICIAL Funimation FullMetal Alchemist DVD Vol. 3 Booklet.
Electrastar
QUOTE(Kyo_Umerio @ Aug 17 2005, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE(JasonWinter @ Aug 17 2005, 12:59 PM)

~Kyo

[snapback]254233[/snapback]

When shes introduced in Episode 5 her first name isn't given, only her Rank and Last Name. " Major Hawkeye " i'm not trying to be an asshole by anymeans, forgive me if its coming off like that. i have been waiting for this card game, was going to be the only card game i collected since the Jr. High Days of Pokemon ~_~.... evil.... evil pokemon.... Anyways... back to my point. i have the 4 current DVD's out in the US as well as Both the PS2 games released. in both games her name appears as Riza Hawkeye. and in DVD 3 of the US FMA series is a booklet, including 2 pages of info on Riza Hawkeye (well... a paragraph and pictures. but it spans two pages) so here is the Scan from the OFFICIAL Funimation FullMetal Alchemist DVD Vol. 3 Booklet.
[snapback]254739[/snapback]

I have to back Kyo up on this one. I haven't seen the games...but I find it a little ridiculous that Funimation told you to use the name Liza when they clearly used Riza in the games, the dvds and the manga dubbs as well...Sure, it's only one letter...but people would have flamed them if they changed Edward's name to I don't know...Eddie or something...same principle.
Kyo_Umerio
perhaps the Mistake WASN'T Made? a friend of mine i spoke to last night told me she had a few of the cards and had a Riza Hawkeye one and it was spelled correctly... then again she might have been talking about the Japanese versions... not sure...
the_hunters_luck
I just double checked my card and it is spelt "Liza" but this is not a mistake, this is the Japanese spelling. All of the cards are written with the Japanese names (ex. Maes Hughes) which is very cool. The reason it's spelt "Liza" but in English is "Riza" is because the Japanese pronounce their L's as English R's. Having played other Japanese card games this happens alot and never fails to upset English consumers who think a translator slipped up bad somewhere but it's simply a matter of having to pronounce the card correctly. Anyway, to back my self up I googled this:
The Japanese "r" is different from the English "r". The sound is sort of between the English "r" and "l". To make "r" sound, start to say "l", but make your tongue stop short of the roof of your mouth, almost in the English "d" position. It is more like the Spanish "r".

The Japanese have trouble to pronounce and tell the difference between the English "r" and "l' because these sounds don't exist in Japanese.

Don't get too frustrated trying to pronounce it right. When you say words, there is no point in focusing on one syllable. Please listen carefully to how a native speaker pronounces it and repeat it the way you hear it.

If you can't manage it, "l" is better option than English "r", because the Japanese don't roll their tongue when speaking.

As for what I think of the game, I only have a starter, which doesn't even give me a legal deck. Still it comes with a lot of valuable cards. So far the game is a mixture of LotR and VS in that there are locations and the starting allies plus a leader... which is very LotR, whereas the battle system is a lot like VS. The art is excellent but it's ripped straight from the show and I don't know if there is any unique art. I ebayed a box that should arrive on Friday, hopefully with that I'll have a better opinion of the game.
Kyo_Umerio
QUOTE(the_hunters_luck @ Aug 18 2005, 11:14 PM)
I just double checked my card and it is spelt "Liza" but this is not a mistake, this is the Japanese spelling. All of the cards are written with the Japanese names (ex. Maes Hughes) which is very cool. The reason it's spelt "Liza" but in English is "Riza" is because the Japanese pronounce their L's as English R's. Having played other Japanese card games this happens alot and never fails to upset English consumers who think a translator slipped up bad somewhere but it's simply a matter of having to pronounce the card correctly. Anyway, to back my self up I googled this:
The Japanese "r" is different from the English "r". The sound is sort of between the English "r" and "l". To make "r" sound, start to say "l", but make your tongue stop short of the roof of your mouth, almost in the English "d" position. It is more like the Spanish "r".

The Japanese have trouble to pronounce and tell the difference between the English "r" and "l' because these sounds don't exist in Japanese.

Don't get too frustrated trying to pronounce it right. When you say words, there is no point in focusing on one syllable. Please listen carefully to how a native speaker pronounces it and repeat it the way you hear it.

If you can't manage it, "l" is better option than English "r", because the Japanese don't roll their tongue when speaking.

As for what I think of the game, I only have a starter, which doesn't even give me a legal deck. Still it comes with a lot of valuable cards. So far the game is a mixture of LotR and VS in that there are locations and the starting allies plus a leader... which is very LotR, whereas the battle system is a lot like VS. The art is excellent but it's ripped straight from the show and I don't know if there is any unique art. I ebayed a box that should arrive on Friday, hopefully with that I'll have a better opinion of the game.
[snapback]255681[/snapback]

Did you read my first post? i said i understood the concept of ENGRISH..... no thats not a typo..... google it..... anyways my point is that in the OFFICIAL! releases of FMA in the US and her name has been Riza Hawkeye. the games (made by square-enix) the anime dvds (FUNimation) and the Manga..... all of it.... her name is RIZA! R-I-Z-A thats my point, i know that the R and L make the same sound in Japanese. thats our a name like Baruma (sp?) becomes Bulma.... so theres my point...
(AL ke mi)
isn't the topic about the trading card game?
anyways i think the company who's makin' em is going over board about fma trading cards
Kyo_Umerio
QUOTE((AL ke mi) @ Aug 28 2005, 11:58 PM)
isn't the topic about the trading card game?
anyways i think the company who's makin' em  is going over board about fma trading cards
[snapback]266780[/snapback]

ever heard of reading? it is about the card game.... maybe you should read the first post?
mrhomiec
i love the card game. it's my new favorite game to play now. (take that VS)
i have a Lust deck, and i just need a couple more cards before it's "perfect". but as of right now, it still owns, just not as good as i want it to. =P
Fullmetal Fugazi
meeehhhh, I'm not a big fan of card games.
YamiJoey
I love the new game. Pretty rubbish at it now, but I hope to get better... Mainly by getting about 17 more cards and 8 more Locations to have a full deck xD

It's by far the best Card Game I've seen, parting only Yu-Gi-Oh! (Always love it xD)

My mate's buying the next sets off e-Bay (I shall too soon) so he kind of has an advantage, being able to test them before us.

The game has a strange way of playing. No card advantage here, pure power. Swarming with wits + wits related loacations = game.

I want Policeman =( lol

Anyway, new game = good.

YJ
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.