Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Helpful Links for Fanfiction Writing
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fanworks > Fanfics
Omakase Shimasu
As the title suggests, this is a topic dedicated to help out authors who have experienced trouble with their stories, erase plotholes and sources of agitation before they appear, and hopefully answer questions people might have regarding fanfiction in general. Everybody's welcome to add to the list, of course. biggrin.gif

A SMALL "WARNING" IN ADVANCE:
Some of the links maybe oriented toward slash-writers.

The lists have been ordered in a nice alphabetical order for easy perusal.

... * Fist of all, a helpful set of links you should never do without. All the dictionaries listed below have been selected with a specific part of the anime in mind. Aherm.

Dicitionaries/Generators:
- American - British Dictionary
- Babelfish Translator
- Dictionary.com
- English - German Dictionary
- Name Generator

... * These webpages have been chosen to help the author along in their struggle with pitfalls in both grammar and plot.

References:
- Bad Fanfic! No Biscuit!
- Big List of Fanfic Peeves
- Guide to Grammar and Writing
- Story Structure
- The Ten Mistakes...
- William Strunk Jr.
- Witterisms and other Sins

... * A section that exploits the wonderful world of FMA canon and it's counterpart fanon. Sadly, I haven't been able to find anything to fill the void yet. ::Certain Links May Contain Spoilers::

Canon Reference:
- Fullmetal Alchemist - General Info
- Fullmetal Alchemist - Wikipedia
- Amestrine Rank Insignia and Emblems (Resources -> Research)

... * Essays that explains the why behind Fanfiction (and it's appeal).

Essays:
- Dr. Merlin's Guide to Fanfiction
- Fan Fiction
- Fullmetal Sai Couples Essays (Resources -> Essays)
- Subtext And Slash

... * This thread wouldn't be complete without a glossary of sorts. ::Contains Adult Content::

Glossaries:
- The Fanfiction Glossary

... * For the helpful folk among us, a few comprehensive sites telling you all you need to know about feedback. And then some.

- Wikipedia - Constructive Criticism
- Wikipedia - Flaming

... *And, a list of links dedicated to "Mary Sue" discussion.

The Mary Sue Files:
- Mary Sue, and How to Avoid Her
- Mary Sue Fanfiction - Wikipedia (<- many external links worth checking out)
- The (Original) Mary Sue Litmus Test (<- all raise hands who haven't already done this one)
Katya Martin
~ Any Tropers Around Here? ~

Anyone here frequent TV Tropes? What do you think of it? (Other than the fact that it's utterly addicting. tongue.gif)

For those who don't know TV Tropes, it's a wiki dealing with all those things that commonly occur, intentionally or unintentionally, in fiction. It's also got pages on various works. Enter at your own risk, it'll eat your time. And possibly explode your web browser.

I'm on there a fair bit; handle's Danger. Don't have a contributor page yet though.
Anyone else?
Aribelle
I loove that website! Whenever I complete/catch up to a series going there is of the first things I do lol. I don't contribute at all, but I seriously waste a lot of time reading it haha.
Loreley
I love it, but I try to stay away from it because I end up spending too much time jumping from trope to trope. I think it's usually well done and it's great to understand if a tv serie/manga/comic can interest me or not.
KoolCat
Tv tropes is a website that lists several "Tropes" or common "story" elements that appear in fiction. the site covers essentially everything from culture-related tropes (such as Bishonen, which is a primarily "Japanese" culture aesthetic) to more universal tropes, such as Love, vengeance, etc, etc. the site features pages on upon PAGES of examples of tropes appearing in anime, manga, videogames, tv, music, essentially anything that requires putting pen to paper.

As a website, it is ADDICTING (if a bit swear-heavy. they love the term bad@$$, and use it everywhere they can). as the site says "Tv tropes will ruin your life" because, just as Loreley said, you will jump from trope to trope, trying to find examples in your favorite manga/anime/song/whatever. I'm on it all the time, and I get nothing done, lol

url is www.tvtropes.org Enter at your own risk.

QUOTE (Katya Martin @ Dec 19 2009, 11:40 PM) *
Anyone here frequent TV Tropes? What do you think of it? (Other than the fact that it's utterly addicting. tongue.gif)

For those who don't know TV Tropes, it's a wiki dealing with all those things that commonly occur, intentionally or unintentionally, in fiction. It's also got pages on various works. Enter at your own risk, it'll eat your time. And possibly explode your web browser.

I'm on there a fair bit; handle's Danger. Don't have a contributor page yet though.
Anyone else?

It's an addiction. evil, evil, time eating, Crowning moment of Awesome internet addiction...

I'll never get anything done again.......
Katya Martin
It also affects your speech habits. Hilarity ensues.
Tansy
here FMA-Desueification
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.