Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pained Eyes
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fanworks > Fanfics
maylin
Hi! I took this from my drabbles/short stories, Musicbox on Fanfiction. This short story is only 3 chapters and Royai. I hope you like it! biggrin.gif They're a bit short...

Pained eyes

Her eyes were the only thing of her that showed emotions. Her eyes were the best way to see her pain or happiness. Sometimes they were blank and lifeless like her cold face but sometimes they were different. It was night and Roy and Riza were sitting staring at the sunset. Roy couldn’t think of a better way to spend time with someone you secretly love than watching a pretty sunset.
“Roy….”
“Yes?”
“I-i l-lo-ve y-yo-u.” Riza stuttered and Roy looked in great amazement. ‘She loves me too?’
“Riza, you kno-w we can’t be together.” Roy stopped and Riza turned and got up. She couldn’t stand for this anymore.
“Good night, sir.” Her coldness frostier than ever, her voice was blank but you could see her pained eyes. She left and left him to the darkness.

A month after the confession

It was like her confession never happen, things were normal again expect when Riza would fire bullets at him for no reason. She never strayed from her paperwork but buried herself in more. The feeling of loving someone who you swore to follow for your whole life and knowing that he didn’t feel the same stabbed at Riza everyday.
“Flowers?”
“Someone send her flowers?” Voices of Roy’s office whispered.
“What is going on? Why are you all at Hawkeye’s desk?” Roy demanded and got up from his seat. When he saw the flowers on her desk his heart leaped to his throat and he was speechless.
“Wonderful, aren’t they? I love roses.” Riza’s empty voice stated, she was standing behind Roy and was holding a vase. Roy turned around and their eyes met, her eyes were different. Her eyes were dull and blank like a clean sheet of paper unlike her usual safe guarded eyes that hinted amusement every now and then. His eyes filled surprise, rage, and sadness. He headed back to his desk and left the other female officers to question Hawkeye.
“Who sent them to you?” A voice asked and Riza slightly or rather pretended to smile.
“His name is Rob.”
“Are you guys dating?”
“We were but now we’re engaged.”
“Oh my god, when did this happen?”
“3 weeks ago.”
“That stone is huge.”
‘Riza, I thought you loved me. I been wondering what happened to them, your feelings. What happened to those feelings? Now I know it’s in a side of you, you don’t ever want to touch again.’ Roy thought bitterly and Riza was flashing her ring. She too had some thoughts of her own.
‘I understand, sir why you never told me how you feel. You would lose your job and your chance to become fuhrer. But still it hurts, I’ll never find out if you love me or loved me.’
Meo
Aww. Poor Roy! sad.gif Very nice story though, I like the descriptions of Riza's emotions in her eyes. biggrin.gif (Plus, you siggie is cool. X3)
MizukoMidori
Cute! I like the whole concept and what not, although it seemed a little rushed. Also a little verb and tense confusion I think.

'I been wonder what happened to them, your feelings' This makes no literal sense. Technically it should be.
'I've been wondering what happened to them, your feelings."

I think there are a few more, but this one jumped out at me the most. Don't take it personally, I mean no offense by it, but I like concrit, and I try to helpful in my reviews and give it where I see fit. I think if you have a beta go over it, it could be even better than it is.
maylin
QUOTE(MizukoMidori @ Jul 9 2005, 02:05 PM)
Don't take it personally, I mean no offense by it, but I like concrit, and I try to helpful in my reviews and give it where I see fit. I think if you have a beta go over it, it could be even better than it is.
[snapback]208898[/snapback]

I fixed it. I dont like to edit things only if I am forced to. Sorry, I am kinda lazy.Thanks for reviewing anyway! biggrin.gif Thanks, the sigg was made by Rizababe!

Pained eyes part 2

Sometimes a man has to choose
And do something he doesn't wanna do
Do I live my life with you as my wife
Or do I go on and pursue my lifetime dream….

‘I love her but I can’t have her. It’s could ruin my chances of being fuhrer or it could ruin my chances of being with her.’ He thought to himself as he stared into his paperwork. ‘I don’t want to live like this.’

I gotta do this for me
Cuz if I don't I'll probably regret it
But if I do I'll probably regret it
How do I cope

Roy Mustang knew he had to make a choice. It was love or his job. If he picked one, he would just lose the other. How do you make a choice like that? To pick the one you love or to pick the job that would change lives for the better. ‘Nothing is easy in the world.’ She handed him a cup of coffee and smiled.
“You’re making progress today with your paperwork.” This was partly true due to the fact he was reviewing his life decisions, when he was suppose to be signing crappy paperwork.

How do you cope when
The one you love is with somebody else
And there's nothing you could do about it
How do I deal with

‘Give up. She’s engaged she doesn’t love you. Roy, get a grip on yourself.’ Roy thought as he watched Riza pull her gun out and point it to Havoc’s head. Hawkeye seemed to notice how focused his eyes were on her.
“Is everything all right, sir? You look flushed, sir.”
“I am fine. I have a few problems, that’s all.” Roy tiredly flashed a grin. ‘That is the understatement of the world.’

The fact that you had a chance
But you chose to turn away for your career
I gotta take it though it's heartbreakin'
It's something that I had to do
But nobody said that it would hurt so bad
So how do I live...how do I deal without you

He couldn’t have her. He had a chance but blew it for his career. ‘It hurts so badly. I love her.’ He doodled on some report about a weapon maker. He doodled, a very small heart and inside he put RoyxRiza so small you had to put it right next to your face to read it. Roy loved her. He had to do it. He couldn’t throw away all he worked for.
“Sir, 15 minutes till lunch.” Riza said to only receive a very weak sound resembling okay.
15 minutes later

The door made a slow creaking sound and Riza walked in. Roy now was truly working on his paperwork. He had decided if he threw the love of his life away, to have a chance to become fuhrer then he better become fuhrer. Riza walked over and handed Roy his sandwich. Roy stared at the hand offering him a sandwich and he noticed the huge diamond ring she had on. With muffled thanks, Roy took the sandwich. Hawkeye seemed to notice Roy staring at her ring and she blushed.
“Do you remember that day when we were watching the sunset?”
“Yes.” Roy’s voice regaining strength as the memory filled his mind.

It's killing me to know
That your heart's with me
But you're with him cause I chose
To be in this industry

“I still feel the same.” her voice still icy cold. Roy watched he amazed at what he had heard.
“You do?”
“Yea.”
“Then why are you engaged?”
“It hurt being so close to you but not being able to love. I had to push you away; I had to find something to fill my emptiness where you once were. I got engaged to Rob, not because I love him but that I gotta move on with my own life.” Those words ripped, no killed Roy. It killed him to know these things.
“So you’re only with him because I chose my career over you.” Her pained eyes were staring at him with such longing.
“It’s perfectly understandable, sir. You’re trying to change the world.” Her eyes once again became blank and empty and Roy dare not look at Riza. ‘But you don’t know how much you have already changed mine.’ Riza thought.

Next day

To be in this industry
Money, shows, and hoes come along with luxury and pain
Is all you see when you think about it
But this is the life that I was given
So I have to live it to the fullest
But how do I deal in the meantime without you

‘I picked this for myself. I was given this life to live and I should live it to the fullest. I still chose my career over the love of my life.’ He yawned to himself when he was signing documents. He was going to do his paperwork for his chance. He was going to become fuhrer, what was there to lose now that he lost his one and only love. ‘Now what to do with all this pain?’

She lost him. She knew it. It was her choice to push herself away from him. She couldn’t stand the hurt. He was the only one and she couldn’t love him. It hurt so badly but she was in the military. ‘I am too soft. I knew this was coming. To be in the military was the tough. All because I am in this industry.’ What could she do without him?

How do you cope when
The one you love is with somebody else
And there's nothing you could do about it
How do I deal with

The pain was real, the world was tough and he was stupid. He was stupid with pain. The pain of loving someone you can’t have. ‘I should have known this was coming.’ No, he knew this was going to happen. He knew but he didn’t try to stop it.
“Sir, you look pale. Do you need to be brought to the nurse?”
“No, Hawkeye. I am fine.” He lied. Roy wasn’t fine, he was hurt.

The fact that you had a chance
But you chose to turn away for your career
I gotta take it though it's heartbreakin'

“Sir, do you need anything?” Anything? He needed her right away, right by his side, right in his heart. He needed it but he can’t have it. She’ll always be by his side. She’ll always be there right away. He could hold her in his heart. ‘Riza might fall in love with that guy named-Errr-Rob or something.
“No, I do not need anything!” Roy snapped. His nerves just snapped and now he had a headache from too much thinking.
“Alright, sir. Are you coming to the wedding tonight?” She got up and left. Riza had a feeling the Lt. Colonel wanted time alone. She (of course) was right, Roy needed time alone.
When the wedding starts (Roy is still at the office.)
He walked over to Hawkeye’s desk and captured a photo sitting on her desk. Under a couple smiling was the words Rob, alchemist and Riza, military Lt. ‘That’s wrong! That’s where I am suppose to be. It should say Roy and Riza.’ As he leaned in closer to studied the picture he realized something. Rob was just like him, he had black eyes and black hair with a cocky grin on his face. He too was an alchemist. ‘What the hell? She gets a guy just like me to…..DAMN!’ Roy realized that she needed someone to fill her empty spaces but she loved Roy. She loved Roy so much, that she had to replace Roy with someone just like him!

It's something that I had to do
But nobody said that it would hurt so bad
So how do I live...how do I deal without you

His decisions were what he lived by. He chose this for himself and knew it. He had a broken heart but he was strong. He knew that he had a wedding to stop. Maybe….Maybe she’ll wait for him……Maybe she still wants him…..Maybe life isn’t so bad after all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.