Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tell Us About Your Beliefs/religions
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
wolfi1412
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Sep 7 2004, 01:10 AM)
According to selectsmart.com, I am a Unitarian Universalist.

ohmy.gif

what's that?
filimonovna
QUOTE(wolfi1412 @ Sep 7 2004, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Sep 7 2004, 01:10 AM)
According to selectsmart.com, I am a Unitarian Universalist.

ohmy.gif

what's that?

I heard about that... If I'm not mistaken, it's a christian religion, which basic statements are peace and conglomerate (<- not sure if this word's proper for their slogan...). SOmething like this.
Omakase Shimasu
QUOTE(filimonovna @ Sep 7 2004, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Sep 6 2004, 06:28 PM)
I think I understand. He doesn't admit to the belief until he has agreed to the belief.  biggrin.gif Right?

Yep. SOmetimes it happens, that I write (and speak) english too eratically, afterwards not understanding myself what I was writing about. SOrry for this, I'll try to check what I write before posting.

PS. I'm 'she', by the way. happy.gif

biggrin.gif ....OK, now I feel stupid. biggrin.gif
wolfi1412
it's okay.. sometimes I talked too fast and in the end no one understands it..
Queenozelight
I'm atheist....I don't care about what everybody believes,it's a nice thing believing in a god...I just don't.....If anybody understands this,I give them a virtual cookie and maybe a peach ice-tea carambar(yummie!)
EditDeath
Unitarian Universalist? Do you suppose the test is designed faulty? I only ask because it said that about me, and I'm an agnostic. Who knows, maybe its because I'm a strict pacifist.

I get what you're saying, though, Queen.I really don't care what others believe in. If that's what helps them live their lives, I'm happy for them. All that matters to me is whether their reasonably good, tolerant people. None of this "our religion's better than yours" crap.
Omakase Shimasu
I would think anyone who believes would think the same and accept people for who they believe in. If anyone should understand, it would be the believers themselves IMO.
Gashole
It's very ironic that Catholic and Christian should be considered two different religions. They're basically the same, but Christians depend only on the Bible while Catholics depend more on rules that the Church leaders created. This makes some Christians consider whatever is not in the Bible is not true, including the Catholic beliefs about Mary, saints, purgation and such. The Christians also have some misunderstanding about Catholic's use of statues and pictures, which really is not a form of idolatry unless the Catholics you happen to know don't know any better. Which is not unusual, because Catholics usually are Catholics by birth, and so some of them may not even know too much about the doctrines. But in the end we're woshipping the same God. smile.gif
EditDeath
The main difference between all these christian groups, catholic included, is how they interpret the Bible. This is significant, because no religion's version of the Bible is complete. Not everyone knows this, but there are certain books of the Bible that each religion that uses it removes from their version of the Bible, because the founders of that religion didn't believe them to actually be the true word of God.

Add to that that the Bible has been translated so often, in so many languages, frequently badly at that, and you've got any number of christian beliefs spouting an infinite number of beliefs.
wolfi1412
I've just discovered that only ike 1 or 2% ppl in Canada who's really Christian (they commit to it)
Gashole
The question is, how Christian are they? Are they really Christians who also do good or they're only Christians who believe in God? wink.gif

I myself don't consider myself religious (rarely do I go to church or read the Bible), but I'm pretty moral and I pretty much agree with the Church about issues such as gay marriage etc.
wolfi1412
QUOTE(Gashole @ Oct 1 2004, 03:32 AM)
The question is, how Christian are they? Are they really Christians who also do good or they're only Christians who believe in God?  wink.gif

I myself don't consider myself religious (rarely do I go to church or read the Bible), but I'm pretty moral and I pretty much agree with the Church about issues such as gay marriage etc.

I mean the REAL Christians, born again Christians, not only just go to the church every week and doesn't believe that God exists or the one that keeps on going to church and don't know wht they're doing.
Gashole
It's too bad I haven't met too many REAL born-again Christians. I try to stay positive, but sometimes it's really hard to think there's good in every people. I've decided there are people (few of them) who are going straight to Hell and actually deserve them (more than I do, and I'm a sinner).
Gashole
Hey, does that mean you're a born-again Christian? (I didn't really read all the posts in this thread.) Whoa, when I was your age I barely thought about this kind of thing.
wolfi1412
... I guess.. I'm just thinking too much.. advice: never thinks to much or you'll doubt.
Gashole
QUOTE(wolfi1412 @ Oct 1 2004, 03:55 AM)
... I guess.. I'm just thinking too much.. advice: never thinks to much or you'll doubt.

That's true. I've experienced doubting. Sometimes I still do. But exactly for that reason I want to learn everything about Christianity (in general) so that I can think and not end up doubting.

Well, hey, you're still what, 13? Don't worry about thinking too much for now. Graduate from high school, and then in college you'll be thinking a hella your time.
wolfi1412
well, I've been using basically all my spare time thinking these stuff... dunno where it came...
Prinz_Zoisit
i hope to be a new-born christian one time...
EditDeath
Off-topic, but this is just something I had to share. There's a saying out there, no idea who first said it. I heard it from a fanfic writer. "There are two kinds of people in the world. There are the righteous who think they're sinners, and the sinners who think they're righteous." That's just stuck with me since I first read it. Seemed appropriate for a religious discussion.
wolfi1412
hm... it's kinda the same as the one who can see but he's blind and the one that blinds but can see.
Gashole
QUOTE(EditDeath @ Oct 1 2004, 07:42 PM)
Off-topic, but this is just something I had to share. There's a saying out there, no idea who first said it. I heard it from a fanfic writer. "There are two kinds of people in the world. There are the righteous who think they're sinners, and the sinners who think they're righteous." That's just stuck with me since I first read it. Seemed appropriate for a religious discussion.

LOL, some "good" Christians need to remember that. After all, Jesus came to save the sinners, not the righteous.
10 atheists? Wow, that sure isn't a real representation of the popular XD... even though I'm an atheist myself.
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(EditDeath @ Oct 1 2004, 08:42 PM)

you forgot "sinners who think they are sinners" and "righteous who think they are righteous"...
wolfi1412
that's the truth.
althe
Well, my parent's and grandparents are buddist, but when I was young I went to church and got into Christianity, then after I got into Buddaism, back into Christianity, didn't care anymore..

And now I'm back to being Buddist happy.gif

Lol, considered being a Wicca at some point. Anyone Wiccas here?
xrninja
i'm a christian, protestant i think but i'm not too clear on all difference and don't particularly care, but i guess i'm more of a liberal one. i don't go to church on sunday mornings because my church is kind of far and my sister goes to a different church and my parents aren't christian. i do go to bible studies when i don't have chinese school on friday nights. i don't believe that you need to go to church to be christian and that someone needs to interpret the word of the Bible; you take from it whatever you get out of it.

i also don't agree with the people at my church on several things, among which is tolerance of other branches and religions. i don't know the differences but for me in the end we're all worshipping one God. my best friend, who got me into christianity, was sort of horrified when she found out i went to a catholic church when i was down at LA (loyola marymount university) for summer school some years ago, which don't really get.

i also really don't like forcing my religion down other people's throats (like those door-to-door people. they mean well but annoy me); you can give them the opportunity to get into it, but if they don't like it, don't pressure them and intimidate them with stuff like "now you're going to go to hell when you die." if you live a decent, good life, i don't think that God is going to smite you or anything. but in the end, we don't really know anything; our faith is blind. but i do think that it's that faith that makes you a believer in God.

anyhow, my two cents smile.gif
Sycia
The world needs more Christians, no... PEOPLE like you xrninja...
wolfi1412
QUOTE(althe @ Oct 4 2004, 12:18 AM)
Well, my parent's and grandparents are buddist, but when I was young I went to church and got into Christianity, then after I got into Buddaism, back into Christianity, didn't care anymore..

And now I'm back to being Buddist happy.gif

Lol, considered being a Wicca at some point. Anyone Wiccas here?

make up ur mind.. lolz.. ><

and we do need more ppl like xrninja.. tell u the truth, I don't like ppl who sounds so religious in the church.. (like u said a little bit in a normal chat and they go "hallelujah".. it sounds as if they try to make an image)
EditDeath
I actually have a friend who's born again christian, and her mom is pretty big on it. Her mom kinda scares me, but for other reasons. Anyway, one story I'll never forget. A group of four jahova's witnesses came to their door, and the mother invited them in and had a lengthy talk with them concerning points in the Bible. At least a week later, two of them came back and informed her that they had converted to catholicism, because their talk with her had made them take a harder look at all the religions. Catholicism was, apparently, the faith that coincided with their views best.

So, just goes to show; sometimes the converters can be converted, if ya know what you're talking about. cool.gif Shows me there's hope in the world.
Gashole
Atheism = 10
Christians + Catholics = 8
Not bad. smile.gif

Yup. There's a reason I'm not really a church-goer. People in my church are not the kind of Christians I expect them to be. They go because they HAVE to go, not because they want to. Maybe they think by going to church they've done their "duty."

Anyways, these are what typically happen in my church: (1) people coming in late, disrupting other people who are not (2) cell phones ring and some don't mind answering them (3) constant talking between people during the whole ceremony; though I don't intend to listen, my ears can't help it. There were even fights a couple times. A FIGHT. At a CHURCH. Over some stinking little amount of MONEY. And those were people who wrote a check for the church. (I only give a stinking buck or so.) In addition, they gossip, they believe in horoscopes and feng shui, and stuff.

These circumstances have led me to like better people who are not regular church-goers but are not--what's the word--hypocrites.
Thievesvinegar
We should go back to the salem days. You're either with us or against us...now that mentality is awsome.

..i'm too influenced by literary works.
Thievesvinegar
oh and be careful at pointing fingers. remember, when you point one finger at others, three fingers are simultaniously pointed back at yourself.

...as i am doing right now. tongue.gif
Gashole
laugh.gif I would love to live in one of those days, though. It just seems cool, people living in small villages, working their own field, butchering their own meat, knowing everyone else etc. Of course, the life expectancy was also lower and who knows what's there swimming in your water, but putting that aside, I'd love to live like them people. Hey, why don't I move to Pennsylvania and join the Amish one day?
Thievesvinegar
don't forget the creative methods of torture.
EditDeath
QUOTE(Thievesvinegar @ Oct 5 2004, 02:41 AM)
We should go back to the salem days. You're either with us or against us...now that mentality is awsome.

..i'm too influenced by literary works.

Bush's Unilateralism: "You're either with us, or you're against us." Welcome to the 2004 version of the Salem mentality.
Thievesvinegar
and people think human beings advance through time. what bull, thats evidence we don't and never will.
EditDeath
Oh, I don't know. I personally think we do move forward. The problem is we fall back several times in the process. Its a slow journey.
Gashole
You guys amuse me. laugh.gif
wolfi1412
QUOTE(Gashole @ Oct 4 2004, 06:47 PM)
laugh.gif I would love to live in one of those days, though. It just seems cool, people living in small villages, working their own field, butchering their own meat, knowing everyone else etc. Of course, the life expectancy was also lower and who knows what's there swimming in your water, but putting that aside, I'd love to live like them people. Hey, why don't I move to Pennsylvania and join the Amish one day?

then we won't know each other.. no internet..computer.. a shower, a light bulb.. nice.. warm.. soft.. bed..
RoyxRiza BigFan
pragamtic independent christian
wolfi1412
I'm currently on a Medieval chapter for socials.. I think, it would be cool if I'm a Baron's daughter....
Thievesvinegar
i woulden't like to be anyone's daughter, let alone a FEMALE during the medieval times.

"religion is like a beggar telling another beggar where he found food" -greg graffin

makes a good point doesn't he.
wolfi1412
he did.
FMA JPD
I'm lutheran
WhiteMike
Im a Buddhist, but I don't see it as a religion. And in the poll, the definition of atheist is wrong. An atheist is a person who doesn't believe in a God, not religion. Im a Buddhist and an atheist.
Zarpia
I don't belong to any religion, so what am i?
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(zarpia @ May 18 2005, 02:07 AM)
I don't belong to any religion, so what am i?
[snapback]174414[/snapback]

A Unitarian.

I'm gonna have to teach you the secret handshake sometime.
Thievesvinegar
a lost puppy.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(FMA JPD @ May 18 2005, 12:11 AM)
I'm lutheran
[snapback]174302[/snapback]

Why in god's name did you bump this topic?
Le Monkey
Humanist
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.