Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tell Us About Your Beliefs/religions
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Yiz
QUOTE(Miriamele @ May 25 2006, 02:53 AM) [snapback]400224[/snapback]

For those who don't know what that means, an agnostic is someone who is skeptical about the existence of God, but does not profess true atheism.

Honestly, I only found out what Agnostics are through this biggrin.gif
Anyway, I'm still an atheist. I was baptised Catholic, I still go to Church, I'm still in a Catholic school, and my mother still thinks I'm religious. But I don't really care about those things anymore. Besides, having a religion just doesn't work for me anymore. I find it easier to live with my own rules, rather than promise to obey someone I do not even know... and then someday break that promise to. I'm better off this way.
Miriamele
QUOTE(Yiz @ May 25 2006, 04:13 AM) [snapback]400623[/snapback]

QUOTE(Miriamele @ May 25 2006, 02:53 AM) [snapback]400224[/snapback]

For those who don't know what that means, an agnostic is someone who is skeptical about the existence of God, but does not profess true atheism.

Honestly, I only found out what Agnostics are through this biggrin.gif
Anyway, I'm still an atheist. I was baptised Catholic, I still go to Church, I'm still in a Catholic school, and my mother still thinks I'm religious. But I don't really care about those things anymore. Besides, having a religion just doesn't work for me anymore. I find it easier to live with my own rules, rather than promise to obey someone I do not even know... and then someday break that promise to. I'm better off this way.

Yiz, I am in a similar situation to you. My parents are very religous Christians and I just can't let them know that I know longer believe in that religion. They would be filled with grief that their eldest daughter is heading for eternal damnation! They don't feel at all that it's possible for each person to chose their own path. So I avoid all discussions of religion with them, and if it does come up, I give the impression that I still believe. It's dishonest, but I don't want to hurt them. I don't go to church anymore though, haven't for years...
Yiz
i actually decided i'll tell them once i'm old enough to live on my own. but when i found out how my mother reacts to homosexuals (whe thinks my sister is..), i thought it would be better to keep it a secret. although i've told a lot of people.. even my catholic classmates and a guidance counselor.
quiddityofquid
It's hard when your parents are more or less religious than you are. I'm actually more religious than my parents, who have almost given up on it entirely (although my Dad's rejoining our temple, so thats good...). My mom was shocked when I said I wanted to continue religious school, and I couldn't celebrate the holidays because I no longer belonged to a temple, my parents wouldn't keep kosher l'Pesach, and my dad didnt want us to have a sukkah, etc. I think I have it better off than you do though, because my parents won't think I'm going to be damned and go to hell in any case, whatever I decide to do, and they won't get angry with me unless I go orthodox and make they're lives miserable, which isn't going to happen anyways.
chemist
im Christian
MonsterEnvy
!
You are?
What an amazing reply that really furthers the discussion.

Anways, Miriamele. you'll quickly find that the agnostic/atheist community on the forums is quite large and outspoken. A considerable percentage of the 'atheist' vote comes from extraordinarily hardcore agnostics such as myself who simply didn't have the poll option.

My parents, incidentally, are considerably more religious than I am (it's hard to be less religious than absolutely areligious, of course) but they pretty much let me do whatever I want. Our church is one for agnostics and various types of godless heathens anyway... unluckily enough.

And, Quid, taking cheap shots at scientology is unsportsmanlike! It's waaay too easy. I mean, a religion that's majorly concerned with aliens living in volcanoes?

Finally: If you're as devout as you say sweetie_pie, learn how to spell the name of your religion, at least. Besides, Mormons are famous for the conflicting values of intense puritanicalism and polygamy. (in other words, thinking sex shouldn't be talked about and having ten wives. yep.)

I think that they're a bit crazy... but whatever floats your boat.
trecia
what is religion btw... does it include traditions that you practice or only beliefs? there are many practices of the Catholic that i dont do because i dont believe in it.
Toby-Chan
About the Polygamy thing...

Okay, this began way back when the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons for the rest of ya) was forming and encountered a lot of severe persecution. They headed west to set up their own peaceful place to live to escape the prejudice, and unfortunately there were many men who were killed or died along the way leaving wives and children. Since there were a few affluent, though already married men within the community, it was allowed that these men could take on the widows as their second wives in order to give them and their children a place to live and be supported without living in sin.

When this was discovered, a lot of people had a fit and told them to cut it out. The leaders of the church complied, saying that they must all abide by the law of the land, and Polygamy was outlawed within the church. However, there were a few individuals who didn't want that and pretty much went 'Forget this! I'm keepin' my polygamy. We're breaking off and we're gonna be the True church.'

Thus the Reformed Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was formed, and the main church has done all it can to disown any relations with it; excommunicating practicers of polygamy and such.

Today, the Reformed Church still exists, primarily in Utah, and there isn't a lot that can be done to interfere, especially when they continue to hide behind their "Religious freedom". It is very difficult to legally prove the practice of polygamy, and yet within their society, there are still a lot of shady things going on, especially mistreatment of women- Abuse, incest, pedophelia, rape, all condoned within their 'religious' rules of marriage.
There are a few nonprofit organizations set up to help women escape polygamous lifestyles, but the practice is ongoing.

If an individual takes part in these, however, they are most certainly not a 'true' Mormon.
Yiz
QUOTE(trecia @ May 28 2006, 11:40 PM) [snapback]402531[/snapback]

what is religion btw... does it include traditions that you practice or only beliefs? there are many practices of the Catholic that i dont do because i dont believe in it.

you really cannot practice something you don't believe in.
anyway, i'm quite confused with catholics too.. in our school for example, we are thought that homosexuality is evil but there are still a lot of lesbians. and then they would say that they are proud catholics. would you be seriously considered a follower of a certain religion even if you don't agree to all its teachings?
quiddityofquid
Of course you can. I myself only know one person who seems like he keeps or tries to keep all the rules of his religion. Most people don't follow all the rules and practices of their religions. It's just impractical. Have you ever read through Leviticus? There are way too many rules in there for most people to even bother remembering, much less following. But still an awful lot of people consider themselves part of a Judeo/Christian religion. I'm assuming it's similar in other faiths.
sweety_pie
QUOTE(asu @ May 13 2006, 11:13 PM) [snapback]394893[/snapback]

QUOTE(sweety_pie @ May 13 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]394803[/snapback]

I'm Morman.
(and anyone who says morman is just a religion who marrys their cousins, and believes in sex in heaven, shut your mouthes Ok.)

I always associate Mormans with two things:

1) Polygamy
2) Utah

Mormons don't believe in polygamy any more. And I've never even been to Utah. But, yeah I alot of Mormons did go to Utah.

and for the last time it was a typo!!
Sharingan Serpent
At this moment I've given up in believing what's the point if everyone around you wouldn't know what or how the others feel or are talking about...

It's completely hopeless in my case...
quiddityofquid
First of all, the last part of that sentence made no sense. Secondly, does it matter what people around you think/know? A belief is something YOU think is true, it shouldn't be affected by whether others believe you.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I've had the "what if a good person lived in some remote area and never heard of god" debate with people before. This is the reason I believe there is no "real" religion. People seem to pratice faith according to their suroundings and upbringing. In this modern age if information people can better choose what system of belief, if any, the would like to persue.

Many religions say basically the same thing. Be a good person, follow these rules for living and you will lead a happy life and be rewarded in the afterlife be it heaven or reincarnation. In fact, there are many similarities in the teachings of Buddha and Jesus.

Is anybody here a Muslim or really familiar with the teachings of Mohammad? I would like to do some comparing. We can compare and contrast other prophets as well.

I wanted to bring this up again because it got derailed last time.

I've always wondered if there was a true religion. Think about it, a lot of prophets popped up around the same time in history. Of course back then there was no interent, phone or mail so how else would god be able to pass his teaching around if not for prophets? While they may have taught basically the same thing how much of it was twisted by humans (ie the church for lack of better words) who wanted people to behave the way they wanted and not the way god intended.

I have a hard time believeing there is one true religion. Myself, I picked Buddhism because it was not so mucha religion as it is a philosophy on life.
asunder
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jun 23 2006, 10:55 PM) [snapback]415516[/snapback]

I have a hard time believeing there is one true religion. Myself, I picked Buddhism because it was not so mucha religion as it is a philosophy on life.

eastern religions for the most part are completely different from their counterparts for this reason. Most aren't as structured or strict....aka more room for interpretation as well as having a bit more personal connection.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Some are strict but, the one I pratice is very orthodox but when it comes to Buddhism you have some le-way due to the fact that questioning Buddhism is also a form of Buddhism in a weird kind of way.

But yes, it is much different which is one reason I was attracted to it after taking a turn being a Christian.
asunder
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jun 23 2006, 11:03 PM) [snapback]415519[/snapback]

Some are strict but, the one I pratice is very orthodox but when it comes to Buddhism you have some le-way due to the fact that questioning Buddhism is also a form of Buddhism in a weird kind of way.

But yes, it is much different which is one reason I was attracted to it after taking a turn being a Christian.

haha i was just talking with paladin two days ago about buddhism....a person he knows was explaining parts of buddhism to him. There was specifically one thing which was fubar-ed. Heirarchy of reincarnation based on race/sex/wealth.....(read as "what the fu*k")

Let's just say it was totally different from what I know about buddhism....
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(asu @ Jun 23 2006, 08:07 PM) [snapback]415522[/snapback]

haha i was just talking with paladin two days ago about buddhism....a person he knows was explaining parts of buddhism to him. There was specifically one thing which was fubar-ed. Heirarchy of reincarnation based on race/sex/wealth.....(read as "what the fu*k")

Let's just say it was totally different from what I know about buddhism....

That's a steaming pile of BS.

None of that holds any water in true buddhsim. It's all about how you live your life and if you're a good person you won't come back as an ant. tongue.gif

Me? I'm still hoping to come back as a dolphin, but I'll be sure to stay the hell away from Japan. laugh.gif
MonsterEnvy
Buddhism is about not coming back at all. It's really just as much a religion as Christianity in that they believe in various afterlives and reincarnation, as well as gods and spirits.

Less religious Eastern 'religions' would be those like Taoism or Confucianism which are philosophies to help one live one's life without all of the relgious crap thrown in on the side.

And to address the 'true faith' question- I would argue that there is no true faith, but the Judochristoislamic 'religion' is probably a great example of how the 'true faith' can be perverted. For example, Jesus was a Jew, and Muhammad was not only a Jew, but a Christian. The difference between them is that each says that the others picked the wrong prophets and they go and kill each other, even when all of their religions tell them that they all worship the same god. The major differences are in semantics.
Frank Archer
What I believe In Cannot Be summed Up in any Poll. I am A methodist, i will always be a methodist, BUT, I will Also Make my own way in life. our morals and integrity are tried these days, but in the end they are all we have to hold on to. death and hate run rampant in our world. i dont know what you believe, and frankly i dont care, Its whats in our hearts That matters at the end of the day. never let anyone take that away from you, and pray for a brighter future.

God Bless.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ Jun 24 2006, 09:08 AM) [snapback]415649[/snapback]

Buddhism is about not coming back at all. It's really just as much a religion as Christianity in that they believe in various afterlives and reincarnation, as well as gods and spirits.

Less religious Eastern 'religions' would be those like Taoism or Confucianism which are philosophies to help one live one's life without all of the relgious crap thrown in on the side.

Buddhism is far less of a religion than Christianity. In fact, most teaching of buddhism discourage the concept of any sort of theism. Buddhism is about practicing good nature, and finding the utmost truth in everything, until you reach an ultimate understanding.

At least that's what I have surmised about it. Using small amounts of Buddhist practice in my thoughts and actions has changed my mind and self in drastic ways. I've learned to accept things rather than cowering in fear of truth or letting myself be dictated by emotions.
Matt Perry
World Civics and history taught us on Buddhism. It is considered a religion, but I have to say it isn't as major as Christianity.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Matt Perry @ Sep 13 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]446021[/snapback]

World Civics and history taught us on Buddhism. It is considered a religion, but I have to say it isn't as major as Christianity.

Hard to say really. It all depends on your definition of religion. Buddhism is a moral code and way of thinking. But Buddhism within itself does not owe its origins in a creator, a supreme supernatural being or somesuch and does not have a practice of worship to supreme beings.

That isn't to say that Buddhists can't believe in God. A Buddhist could be an atheist, or could also be jewish, or christian, in a distant sort of way. The belief is to not attatch pleas and needs to the responsibility of the 'supreme being'. People should take care of themselves.
Roy Jr.
All I know is that buddhism is a way of life.
Siddharta Gautama(Buddha) didn't proclaim himself a God in the first place.
He just taught people to follow his way of life. Which is to seek true understanding of life and the things that accompany it.

Some followers started to have a higher level of praise to Gautama after he died. So he was unofficially a God to some. Thus, impressing on the whole world that Buddhism is a major "religion" that has Buddha as it's supreme being.
Sharingan Serpent
QUOTE(Roy Jr. @ Sep 14 2006, 02:25 AM) [snapback]446255[/snapback]

He just taught people to follow his way of life. Which is to seek true understanding of life and the things that accompany it.

Some followers started to have a higher level of praise to Gautama after he died. So he was unofficially a God to some. Thus, impressing on the whole world that Buddhism is a major "religion" that has Buddha as it's supreme being.

Wow someones been doing their homework laugh.gif
MonsterEnvy
The bit that makes Buddhism a religion is that they believe in unprovable concepts- heaven, hell, reincarnation, and creation. Buddhists might not necessarily worship conventionally, but the belief in unprovable divine concepts takes it out of the realm of philosolhy and into that of religion.

Westernized Buddhism and Zen Buddhism are more like what you said, Toby. There are huge numbers of variations, but basic buddhism is a religion, as I described above.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Greeneyes Alchemist @ Sep 14 2006, 06:12 PM) [snapback]446388[/snapback]

[taps finger on desk]

you're spamming again... dry.gif
Roy Jr.
QUOTE(Greeneyes Alchemist @ Sep 14 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]446388[/snapback]

Thanks! Well, your'eright! laugh.gif
QUOTE(Void @ Sep 14 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]446466[/snapback]

QUOTE(Greeneyes Alchemist @ Sep 14 2006, 06:12 PM) [snapback]446388[/snapback]

[taps finger on desk]

you're spamming again... dry.gif

Oh, Mr.Void, please forgive greeny! sad.gif She did that for me, I feel responsible... please forgive her...

Anyway,
buddhism did become a religion. But the buddhist monks don't treat it as such.
They still follow what was originaly imposed by their founder. That is, to live as simply as possible while finding the ultimate truth in his/her exitence in this world. After they reach that, they go to "heaven".

But, some buddhists today treat it as a religion like christianity or islam. And so, people that don't really know what buddhism is all about see it as a true religion with, as I said earlier, Buddha as their god.
Their beliefs about heaven, hell and incarnation are just what they believe what may happen to them.
They see these things as facts.
MonsterEnvy
*dies*

The bit where you say 'go to heaven' makes it unequivocally a religion. That's treating it as a religion.

Given, traditional buddhists don't have a god, per se, but it's still a religion because of the theological aspects with all of the heavens and hells.

Incidentally, the point is not to just go to heaven, but not came back to life afterwards.
Jato
I'm a Hindu, with Buddhist philosophy, addition Greek, Norse and Egytpien gods. I have no idea what to call that..
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Jato @ Sep 18 2006, 01:37 AM) [snapback]447652[/snapback]

I'm a Hindu, with Buddhist philosophy, addition Greek, Norse and Egytpien gods. I have no idea what to call that..

So you've just taken the elemnts of religions you like and shoved them into one bizarre mess? How does it even work?
Jato
Excuse me? I started as a Hindu, listening to the Ramayana and reading about the gods and their history. Then I relized that the gods of Egypt had been forgoten, to a degree and I began to pary to and worship them. Then I saw the dead Greek religion and began to praise the great gods, Zeus, Posiden, Hades, Apollo, ect. Then I read about the Norse gods. They facinated me. They we fatalists, doomed to die at Rangorok! Odin, Loki, Ur, Thor, Freya, the Valkyries, all were interesting! Then I read of the hardships and trails of Shidderata, soon to be Buddah. I was inspied by his teachings. I guess you could say my religon is Religion itself. I am a religiost.
Popogeejo
So you basicly made up a religion based on wether the religion was cool? You just mixed some incompatable religions because it suited you?
Jato
Did you listen? I didnt say 'cool' it was interesting and I was paying respect to current and forgotten gods. Its more of a study. As I said among other things, I am a religion studier. I do belive in and I do pray and worship and pay hommage to these gods. Surely thats not wrong?
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(MonsterEnvy @ Sep 16 2006, 08:45 AM) [snapback]447072[/snapback]

*dies*

The bit where you say 'go to heaven' makes it unequivocally a religion. That's treating it as a religion.

Given, traditional buddhists don't have a god, per se, but it's still a religion because of the theological aspects with all of the heavens and hells.

Incidentally, the point is not to just go to heaven, but not came back to life afterwards.

Heaven in buddhism is not like it is in western monotheistic beliefs. It's a state of contented existence, without desires or suffering, but like all things, is still a temporary state. At least that's how much I can understand of it; I'd have to find a few references.

My take on it-
Energy from all living things cycles through the universe. Science can tell you that much. I'm not so much into the exact belief of reincarnation, and that along with karma is more of a hindu bit anyhow.

But when you die, your body is returned to the earth physically, and the energy of your life functioning, your memories, in essence, your 'spirit' can be passed on to the rest of the world. It can't just go nowhere, but unlike how some people think of reincarnation, it doesn't need to be carried along intact to another specific being. You live on as a small part of everything.

But, if it were to be more of an intact system of incarnation, then heaven would be a state of existing without a physical body; in absence of attatchments or desires, and is essentially, happiness. Then eventually, you would return to the cycle again.
Popogeejo
Well you can't belive in the Viking religion of finding a Glorious death in battle while also beliving the Buddhist mantra of non-violence without being a hypocrite.
Your "religion" is fundamentaly flawed if you are saying you equally worship all the deities you mentioned.

No offence, Jato, but you seem to be very out of touch with logic. I mean first you declare Homosexualty to be older than Hetrosexuality (still waitnig for a responce to that topic frmo you) and now you have a made up religion that contradicts itself in several places. I mean Roman mythology and Hinduism are probably the least compatible religions ever before throwng Buddhism and Norse mythology in.
Jato
I said 'philosophy' and worship, not 'death wish'. I worship them, and read about the religion, but I dont follow everything to the letter. Also the Roman religion is just re-named Greeks gods.
Popogeejo
Also the Roman religion is just re-named Greeks gods.

I'm aware of that. It doesn't change anything though. It's still condradicting Hinduism and Buddhism.

I worship them, and read about the religion, but I dont follow everything to the letter.

So you just choose the peices of each philosophy to observe while ignoring the bits that cause a problem.

The Viking mythology was about war an heroics in battle. When a Viking died he would accend to Valhalla to fight in a constant battle. The Romans had a God of War FFS. How can these possibly coinside with buddhism?
Jato
Wow you are really quite the argumentative one huh? I belive what I belive and I wont have ANYONE stop me or tell me what to belive.
Popogeejo
I'm not trying to stop you, I am merely pointing out that it is illogical, contradictive and just very stupid.

Wow you are really quite the argumentative one huh?

You've only just realized this!?!
phoenix dying
QUOTE(Jato @ Sep 18 2006, 02:54 PM) [snapback]447933[/snapback]

Wow you are really quite the argumentative one huh? I belive what I belive and I wont have ANYONE stop me or tell me what to belive.

Urg...your just as bad a popo when it come to spelling. And if you place your attitude like that. Your never going to 'play a part' in a proper debate with someone. You have to keep some of your ideas open. Because you are gonig to be wrong; every one is at one time or another. Stop being so overly defensive with your ideas. Not evey one is going to shove ideas down your throat (except void and popo). Take it in stride...

QUOTE(popogeejo @ Sep 18 2006, 03:09 PM) [snapback]447934[/snapback]

I'm not trying to stop you, I am meerly pointing out it is illogical, condraditive and just really stupid.

Two spelling mistakes:
merely
contradictive

And two grammatical errors:

Brilliant!!!
Popogeejo
And they shall now be fixed. (Well one gramatical mistake may remian.)

Urg...your just as bad a popo when it come to spelling.

Impossible![/spamage]
Sharingan Serpent
QUOTE(Jato @ Sep 18 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]447933[/snapback]

Wow no need to be too defensive there you must understand that not everyone will share the same views as you... It's really our own decision what we believe...but just remember that this is a debate and you must be prepared for other arguments against you're own...

(I hope I'm making sense? unsure.gif )

QUOTE(popogeejo @ Sep 18 2006, 12:53 PM) [snapback]447945[/snapback]

And they shall now be fixed. (Well one gramatical mistake may remian.)
Urg...your just as bad a popo when it come to spelling.

Impossible![/spamage]

Actually I think Popo's spelling has improved over the past couple of weeks... blink.gif
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Jato @ Sep 18 2006, 02:54 PM) [snapback]447933[/snapback]

I belive what I belive and I wont have ANYONE stop me or tell me what to belive.

OMG WTF!!!???

I believe that is the dumbest and most unthoughtful statement anyone has made on this forum.

Here - I believe the earth is flat and I won't have ANYONE stop me or tell me what to believe. Those fancy calculations showing the earth is round are all false and the space program is all faked to support the fact that the earth is round.

Once you make a statement like that, any nonesense can be supported without the option for further inquiry. The fact is, you just shut everyone off completely from discussion on this. It's quite childish.
Jato
What I ment was I choose what I belive and I wont be critised. Thanks..
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Jato @ Sep 19 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]448417[/snapback]

Still stupid. Yes, you will be criticised.

Are you related to Stephen Colbert, by any chance?
IPB Image
Popogeejo
Steven Colbert is to awesome, unless Jatos Parents used Colberts special formula sperm.

But thats offtopic. The problem with Jatos "Religionism" is that Viking mythology and Hinduism are like Oil and water. They just won't mix.
Molecular Alchemist
Here is my totally awsome belief...i'm really not sure if it has a formal name, so until it is determined that it does, it shall be called molecism..hehehe

Ok, so since energy cannot be created or destroyed, but converted from one form to another (1st law of thermaldynamics), then if a spirit/life force/whatever is energy, when you die, it must be converted into something...or at least go somewhere. I mean, assuming the energy of the earth is constant (since it cant be created or destroyed)...something HAS to happen to it. So I think that there is an alternate dimension here, and the energy is able to pass...and ghosts are just manifestations of this energy. Yeah...and it can all be proved by physics. I mean, if you can vibrate molecules enough, that could cause a change or rip in the space-time continuium and so they could (in theory) go to another dimension.

And i think that anyone who read this post most likely thinks that im certifiably insane....but...it makes sense!!! wacko.gif

Oh, and the Church of the Flying Spaggetti Monster needs more members...i mean, that one is possible too tongue.gif
Mustang_93
VERY FUNNY but maybe she is undulging in truthiness and that is like crack for the mind it makes you go crazy and think you are stephen colbert.

[font=Times New Roman][size=7]THIS IS THE COLBERT REPORT!!!!!

not really.........

p.s. is void a stephen colbert fan?
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Jato @ Sep 19 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]448417[/snapback]

Again, this is exactly what I was criticizing. I chose to believe the earth is flat and I won't be criticized for my belief.

Belief depends on reasonableness. If a belief is unreasonable, then it should be viewed critically. If you are unwilling to critically assess your beliefs, then you are acting like a 3 year old child does who believes that the world revolves around them.

Believe what you want, but you rational for belief will be criticized harshly as all of us should be when we state our beliefs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.