Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tell Us About Your Beliefs/religions
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Popogeejo
Yes.Why should there be infulence.
If there is a Higher power and something bad happens to you then the higher power wanted it to so it must not like you.Who the hell wants that?
himan9394
Okay... so lets say that you have a child and that he wants to go biking. You know for a fact that he's going to get hurt once or twice or maybe even more before he even is able to cover a short amount of ground and even so when they do become proficient at biking they will come to hurting themselves some more. So as a parent would you not let your child experiance riding a bike knowing that he will get hurt? Or would you rather them hurt themselves once in a while but be able to live just that little bit more in life?
Sharingan Serpent
Um can we stick to the subject please this isn't really a chat room laugh.gif ;; If you want you could always open up a topic...
Popogeejo
QUOTE(himan9394 @ Apr 10 2006, 10:26 PM) [snapback]377643[/snapback]
Okay... so lets say that you have a child and that he wants to go biking. You know for a fact that he's going to get hurt once or twice or maybe even more before he even is able to cover a short amount of ground and even so when they do become proficient at biking they will come to hurting themselves some more. So as a parent would you not let your child experiance riding a bike knowing that he will get hurt? Or would you rather them hurt themselves once in a while but be able to live just that little bit more in life?

Fair enough but I'm not a God so mistakes are inevitable.If I were a God I could just imbue the little brat with divine biking knowlage so it wouldn't make mistakes.

God's just fail to make sense.
himan9394
LIES!!!
Popogeejo
Popo speaks only the truth.
Neo:There is no spoon.
Me;Well whoop di doo,there is no God! tongue.gif

wink.gif
HybridAlchemist
I beleive in an angel of death....or something like that...I think thats just the devil
Popogeejo
Well the Angel of Death is the Grim Reaper.In the whole Heavan Hell Ethos,th Reaper is Neutral.They just take the souls fromt the dead and take then where they need to go.
They're basicly holy Taxi cabs.
Le Monkey
Lol, I do so love the way popo argues his points sometimes, but sometimes he acts like an ass, but dont we all.. XD

On topic now,
I belive in myself,
I belive in my family,
I belive in my friends and
I belive in human nature
FullMetal Shrimp
I believe in my friends and family. But let me explain...

In truth, there is only one person I believe in, God. But I don't rely on him for everything, and sometimes he can ignore people and make people's lives miserable.

Then there's myself, friends, family and everyone/everything else. I believe in my friends sometimes, but sometimes you just can't. It's ok to depend on someone but they make mistakes too, which is the same for family, which is why I can't believe them fully.

Then there's myself, and I'm ok with myself, but I don't believe in myself either. I know I'm good and everything right now in the present, but in the future I'm not too sure, now I say I won't do drugs, but then there's been many hypocrites saying that, which is why I can't believe in myself. I believe that there's some things that I am capable of doing, and some things I am not, but it's my own future that I can't believe in, and it's the future itself I can't believe in.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(le monkey @ Apr 11 2006, 01:08 AM) [snapback]377743[/snapback]
Lol, I do so love the way popo argues his points sometimes, but sometimes he acts like an ass, but dont we all.. XD

I know I could be nicer but f*!@ it.I'll speak my mind be damned the consequences.
*Flaming hole opens in the ground and swallows Popo*
[Echo from beyond]
Popo:OMG!Theres no sprinkels on my ice cream!
Devil:Thats because you're in Hell!

*Cough*

Carry on.
asunder
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Apr 10 2006, 06:28 PM) [snapback]377852[/snapback]

I know I could be nicer but f*!@ it.I'll speak my mind be damned the consequences.
[Echo from beyond]

*Cough*

Carry on.

man you have 7 times as many posts as I do...and you joined a week later than I did....o_O

oh yeah change your avatar to pantsman from vgcats =p

Le Monkey
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Apr 10 2006, 06:28 PM) [snapback]377852[/snapback]

[Echo from beyond]

*Cough*

Carry on.

laugh.gif that actually made me chuckle, ^^
not on par as some of the other things I see on here, but pretty funny all the same, ^^

QUOTE(asu @ Apr 10 2006, 06:31 PM) [snapback]377859[/snapback]
man you have 7 times as many posts as I do...and you joined a week later than I did....o_O

dose that relly matter? XD
look at me and other people on the top 20 list, I joined before quite a few of the top 20 posters, ^^
Sin Of Envy
I believe in angels, spirits and me.....
Popogeejo

I spam therefore I am.I have no school or Job so I have more time on this and other forums.

I prefer Johny Evil guy but just for you I'll look for a good Pantsman ava.

f*!@ INUYASHA wink.gif
asunder
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Apr 10 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]377885[/snapback]

I spam therefore I am.I have no school or Job so I have more time on this and other forums.

I prefer Johny Evil guy but just for you I'll look for a good Pantsman ava.

f*!@ INUYASHA wink.gif

haha just wanted to make sure that you're aware of your addiction =p
this whole notion of forums is somewhat relatively new to me still..... I wasted my time on irc then went on to downloading anime and playing with fansub groups.

EDIT: niiiiice avatar =D
Popogeejo
One angry shout pantsman..
I need to cut down on my foruming and work on my other hobbies...
To the Geekmobile!
(I'm tired so it makes me kind of like this.Sorry smile.gif )
himan9394
Hmm... how does believing in oneself bring you far? Most of life's opportunities happen by mere coincedence.
asunder

Step 1) Putting faith in oneself to accomplish a task
Step 2) Accomplishing larger and larger tasks through hard work and dedication
Step 3) Gain respect and adulation
Step 4) ....
Step 5) Profit

You can also create opportunities yourself.
ἀρχή
QUOTE(asu @ Apr 10 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]377972[/snapback]

Step 1) Putting faith in oneself to accomplish a task
Step 2) Accomplishing larger and larger tasks through hard work and dedication
Step 3) Gain respect and adulation
Step 4) ....
Step 5) Profit

You can also create opportunities yourself.

Assumption:
No natural disaster kills you in the mean time laugh.gif

Realistically, don't think I believe in anyone. I wish I could be stronger in my belief for God, but it is currently difficult for me to see how I can know God (or any absolute). I am still reading up on how to dig myself out of this horrible skepticism I'm in these days. I will, however, still fight to show that belief in God is not irrational smile.gif.
mei_tenshi
mei believes in her Spanish-speaking, Pooh-wannabe teddy bear, Bannie. He always knows the right thing to say to make mei feel better.

It's probably the goofy voice.
SUPER FAN MAN
1. I believe in God.
2. I believe in fate and that it can be changed,( Final Destination)
3. According to my religion I don't believe in hell but instead a soul prison
4. I do believe that vegetarians theories on saving animals is based on crap.
5. I do believe the protestors that want to allow illegal immagrants into our nation are incompetent idiots that don't know what there talking about.
asunder
QUOTE(SUPER FAN MAN @ Apr 10 2006, 08:18 PM) [snapback]377989[/snapback]

1. I believe in God.
5. I do believe the protestors that want to allow illegal immagrants into our nation are incompetent idiots that don't know what there talking about.

2) For the record, I would not refer to a crappy movie to relate my beliefs =p
4) You realize there is more than one reason to be vegetarian.Which one are you referring to?
5) This is a can of worms...I disagree with your opinion though.
Ailuro
I believe in gravity. It has never failed me once.
Popogeejo
Seems like people are putting what they belive inn aswell...
If so then I belive;
Evolution is pretty damn solid theory,
God is a load of lies,
Gravity is your friend,
The only replacement for good maners is fast reflexes.

And there are my belifes.
DZBrick6
QUOTE(himan9394 @ Apr 10 2006, 12:58 AM) [snapback]377409[/snapback]

Don't we all believe in someone? Somebody who we have faith in, who we can trust with everything we have. Parents, friends, teachers, mentors, strangers? blink.gif and possibly even GOD? I myself but all faith in GOD yay!! biggrin.gif

Believe in no one but yourself...that's the only one who will come through for you in a pinch, trust me...
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Apr 10 2006, 11:58 PM) [snapback]378019[/snapback]

Gravity is your friend,

...unless you forgot to pack a 'chute. tongue.gif
BlackStar
I belive in heaven and hell, and i belive in BOTH gods creation and evolution. but im not sure if i belive in god.

and ..i dont belive in myself at all ._.;;
himan9394
I actually don't see how solid evolution actually is. Its not one that is full of holes but there is some. Its like arguing for a crime case. Sometimes you're so certain of someone being guilty on the evidence pointing towards him. But it could also be that its in relation to a bigger picture somehow. Thus I beilieve in a young earth and in intelligent design.
asunder
QUOTE(himan9394 @ Apr 10 2006, 10:36 PM) [snapback]378071[/snapback]

I actually don't see how solid evolution actually is. Its not one that is full of holes but there is some. Its like arguing for a crime case. Sometimes you're so certain of someone being guilty on the evidence pointing towards him. But it could also be that its in relation to a bigger picture somehow. Thus I beilieve in a young earth and in intelligent design.

enlighten me (or us?) to what the "young earth" theory is.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(himan9394 @ Apr 11 2006, 01:36 AM) [snapback]378071[/snapback]

Thus I beilieve in a young earth and in intelligent design.

...because those are so totally airtight! rolleyes.gif
himan9394
The young earth theory comes from the fact that the majority of all experimentation to determine the age of the earth has revealed that the earth has not been around for billions OR millions but in fact for at most thousands or tens of thousands of years. Some of these include the salt content of the sea and the constant increase in salt concentration, a steady increase of salt concentration from an assumption of 0% salt in the oceans, says that it is about a couple of thousands of years old. If you want more you can ask but its too early in the morning to type so much.

As for intelligent design if you were to look at the experimentation to develop amino acids in a living being in a lab using just the chemical make up, it shows that the statistical probability of such a development is so close to zero that a random act of production of amino acids would take several million if not billions of years. Even after the fact that amino acids could be randomly produced, being able to contstruct fully functional one celled organisms using this acids would add several billion more years. The amino acids that are produced randomly have been experimentally reproduced under the conditions where there is a large electric storm, however there has been no such evidence that the earth has been in such conditions long enough to produce a significant amount of these components. It's actually much like shaking a box full of rolex watch parts and expect to find a rolex watch in perfect condition with no defects in the design or functionality. The human body is so highly tuned that even if we were 0.1 % closer or furthur to the sun we would actually have no chance of survival on the earth.

I am quite tired so if you want I'll add more later...
Sharingan Serpent
mellow.gif

Alright... hmmm...good happy.gif;;

I also believe in Faith and Hope for some strange reason...
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(himan9394 @ Apr 11 2006, 08:12 AM) [snapback]378130[/snapback]
The young earth theory comes from the fact that the majority of all experimentation to determine the age of the earth has revealed that the earth has not been around for billions OR millions but in fact for at most thousands or tens of thousands of years. Some of these include the salt content of the sea and the constant increase in salt concentration, a steady increase of salt concentration from an assumption of 0% salt in the oceans, says that it is about a couple of thousands of years old. If you want more you can ask but its too early in the morning to type so much.
mei's not too familiar about the young earth theory, but from what she's learned in her environmental science class, basing your argument on the salt content of the ocean doesn't quite make sense. Only until the earth cools down can water vapor condense to form liquid, so it stands to reason that the Earth came first. And what about the carbon dating that dates fossils of organisms from millions and billions of years ago? Even iron bands in some rocks (which indicate the presence of oxygen) sets the Earth's age to be at least 2.5 billion years.

mei hasn't done enough research to really debate on this, but saying that the earth is merely tens of thousands of years doesn't make sense to her. Perhaps you can elaborate when you're more awake? huh.gif
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(himan9394 @ Apr 11 2006, 11:12 AM) [snapback]378130[/snapback]

As for intelligent design if you were to look at the experimentation to develop amino acids in a living being in a lab using just the chemical make up, it shows that the statistical probability of such a development is so close to zero that a random act of production of amino acids would take several million if not billions of years. Even after the fact that amino acids could be randomly produced, being able to contstruct fully functional one celled organisms using this acids would add several billion more years. The amino acids that are produced randomly have been experimentally reproduced under the conditions where there is a large electric storm, however there has been no such evidence that the earth has been in such conditions long enough to produce a significant amount of these components. It's actually much like shaking a box full of rolex watch parts and expect to find a rolex watch in perfect condition with no defects in the design or functionality. The human body is so highly tuned that even if we were 0.1 % closer or furthur to the sun we would actually have no chance of survival on the earth.

I am quite tired so if you want I'll add more later...

wow...

Where do you kids pick up this trash? rolleyes.gif
Chibka
QUOTE(Ailuro @ Apr 10 2006, 08:53 PM) [snapback]378014[/snapback]

I believe in gravity. It has never failed me once.

Yes, gravity never fails^^

Along with gravity I believe in my friends, my family... my computer... Oprah's plan for world domination... XD

But my numero uno is God! He's always watching out for me-- even when gravity isn't!
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(mei_tenshi @ Apr 11 2006, 01:08 PM) [snapback]378196[/snapback]
And what about the carbon dating that dates fossils of organisms from millions and billions of years ago? Even iron bands in some rocks (which indicate the presence of oxygen) sets the Earth's age to be at least 2.5 billion years.

God put those there to confuse us and test our faith! OMG! rolleyes.gif
asunder

Your "FACTs"? and majority of experimentation o_o....Sorry I have to call your education and your statements into question.

This is way too funny in the morning. I'd like to really meet the "scientist" of this 0 percent salt theory and questioning whether the education he/she recieved was sufficient only to draw linear relationships on graphs. Maybe they thought of this while playing super mario brothers....you know when mario is in the water worlds...(or in the negative world)

Uhh I still see no proof of intelligent design in your statements. By the way, we're not highly tuned....we're poorly made.
himan9394
how so are we poorly made?
Chibka
Oh, there are many flaws in human beings. We're not perfect - there are a lot of flaws. Especially psychologically. Humans are very unstable and imperfect... like any other organism.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(himan9394 @ Apr 11 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]378257[/snapback]

Well, for one thing, most of our organs are attached by very thin membranes. The acid in our stomachs can easily destroy most of the other organs, if it were to leak. The male genitalia is extremely vulnerable to any kind of trauma. We have a completely useless organ called an appendix for some reason. We've got something called a vestigial tailbone [coccyx], which also serves no purpose, but if we break it, it can sideline us for long periods of time.

Read more here
Chibka
^ Some of many^^
asunder
QUOTE(himan9394 @ Apr 11 2006, 11:53 AM) [snapback]378257[/snapback]

If you want I can start listing all the congenital birth defects, defects when we are a fetus, defects in adults.....Then there's genetic disorders...
Then there's the issue that our replication of DNA is error prone. We are powerless (again w/o medicine) against viruses, prions and cancer. On a cellular level...it's like a modification to Murphy's Law, Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong....and you'll see the physical or mental effects of such mishaps on the person.

Some of our muscle nerves are very superficial....for instance the posterior peroneal nerve (or tibular nerve). If you are slashed in the back of the knee...this will cause your leg to lose parts of its movement (ability to raise your foot up).

I'd actually go in depth a little more and give you even more proof, but i'd first like you to provide of Proof of intelligent design and proof of the salt water theory.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(asu)
Then there's the issue that our replication of DNA is error prone. We are powerless (again w/o medicine) against viruses, prions and cancer

I disagree with that. Human can live just fine without modern meds to keep them healthy. Maybe people for centuries have made their way in the wilderness without all the bells and whistles of modern medicine to get them by. I think our industrialized nation has weakend our systems and we are too relient on drugs. Also, I believe cancer is primarily caused by all the chemicals we are exposed to in our food, water and air.

But I'm getting off-topic.

On Topic:
I believe in myself. The majority of people I have put faith in have failed me further providing proof that you can never count on anyone but yourself. If you let yourself down there's no one else to blame. I don't like to depend on anyone.

As for the god thing. Even though my belief system dosen't support god per se I still feel like there's a higher power out there. Perhaps I haven't completely let go of my christian belifs.

Now, a lot of people in this thread question why god allows bad things to happen. I've always belived that god was kind of like a scientist watching a rat maze. Much like a scientist would put a rat maze together and fill it full of inhabitants god (hypothetocally) created the world and started the population. The scientists does not interfere he watches from a distance, God does the same thing. He made us self relient for a reason.

Only human beings value needy offspring.
Sharingan Serpent
QUOTE(Void @ Apr 11 2006, 12:03 PM) [snapback]378266[/snapback]

QUOTE(himan9394 @ Apr 11 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]378257[/snapback]

Well, for one thing, most of our organs are attached by very thin membranes. The acid in our stomachs can easily destroy most of the other organs, if it were to leak. The male genitalia is extremely vulnerable to any kind of trauma. We have a completely useless organ called an appendix for some reason. We've got something called a vestigial tailbone [coccyx], which also serves no purpose, but if we break it, it can sideline us for long periods of time.

Read more here

Wait but aren't our bodies made up of cells which then make tissues then go into organs or are they the same?
Very amazing that these many people believe in many things...
asunder
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Apr 11 2006, 12:11 PM) [snapback]378273[/snapback]

I disagree with that. Human can live just fine without modern meds to keep them healthy. Maybe people for centuries have made their way in the wilderness without all the bells and whistles of modern medicine to get them by. I think our industrialized nation has weakend our systems and we are too relient on drugs. Also, I believe cancer is primarily caused by all the chemicals we are exposed to in our food, water and air.

Well here's some speculation on my part: Medication/medical procedures prolong life. (Here's a long read on the matter: http://www.worldhealth.net/p/the-future-of...2006-03-21.html ) I say speculation because it's something that actually makes logical sense, but I can't provide any direct evidence for it.

So if you go off into the woods....First make sure that you're not using poison ivy as toilet paper =D.
Chances are if you get injured without proper care you'd get an infection which might lead to your death or a severed limb. What do you do if you're allerigic to bee stings and get stung? As we get older...our bodies start to fall apart, organs fail....bones ache and become brittle...our immune system decreases .etc...

As for your take on drugs, I can at least agree to our over prescription of antibiotics which will one day come back to bite us in the ass.

One of the reasons that brain aneyurisms (sp?) were so uncommon in the older days is because we didn't live long enough to let the brain aneyurism take its full course. The same can be said for certain types of cancer. As for your take on the primary origin's of cancer. I don't think we really know that yet. We have risk factors but we don't have the full blown mechanism involving how all these factors relate to each other...i'd assume it's a multifactorial disorder caused by genetic and environmental factors. Also as a person gets older, their cumulative number of mutations in their DNA increases and eventually leads to Cancer, cell death, or immortality. o_o

FullMetal Shrimp
QUOTE(SUPER FAN MAN @ Apr 10 2006, 08:18 PM) [snapback]377989[/snapback]

1. I believe in God.

Hmmm... About your idea that fate can be changed is full of crap. Fate is said to be a supposed for or principle that "predetermines" events. And fate can also be thought of as a final result or consequence. Now for my explanation...

If fate is a final result, and you change the final result, then that becomes your fate and you never even changed it, because that is your fate and was your fate. And if fate is predetermined, then how are you supposed to even know what your end result would be and if you changed it? There's no way to know. It isn't wise to base your beliefs on a fictional movie, it isn't very smart. Fate is inevitable, and this is reality you are living in.
Carnal Malefactor
How about we agree that there's no such thing as 'fate'. rolleyes.gif
Popogeejo
Isn't fate just an excuse?
Doctor/Surgon:I'm sorry but your son died on the table.
Parents:How?
Doctor:Well it could be that I was drunk and preformed a simple bowel resection instead of putting in the new liver but I think it was just fate.So no lawyers ok?
Sharingan Serpent
QUOTE(Void @ Apr 11 2006, 02:43 PM) [snapback]378464[/snapback]

How about we agree that there's no such thing as 'fate'. rolleyes.gif

Ahem teenager present of course theres such a thing called fate silly... dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.