Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tell Us About Your Beliefs/religions
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Thievesvinegar
Oooo look. How deep we thinkers are in an anime forum.
A Dude that says stuff
Hehe... yes... the masterminds of life and it's philosophy laugh.gif

Why dont we just go ahead and make another thread that is absolutely, 190% un-related to FMA in any possible manner... just to be able to honestly say that we have gone off the track?
Astralsailor
QUOTE(A Dude that says stuff @ Jun 4 2005, 04:29 PM)
Hehe... yes... the masterminds of life and it's philosophy  laugh.gif

Why dont we just go ahead and make another thread that is absolutely, 190% un-related to FMA in any possible manner... just to be able to honestly say that we have gone off the track?
[snapback]185102[/snapback]

hehe
~FMAgurl~
Well um...I'm Catholic. Not really a "deep thinker". I'm still learning about my religion in school.
the sellout
I am very devout Christian. My faith truly means everything to me, and I believe that I wouldn't be where I am right now without it. It obviously has a big effect on my life because it helps determine almost every single choice that I make and molds my views on numerous issues.
Tamago
I don't beleive in anything like god and such.Wheres the proof? blink.gif
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Tamago @ Jun 17 2005, 02:59 PM)
I don't beleive in anything like god and such.Wheres the proof? blink.gif
[snapback]193972[/snapback]

Where's the proof that your hand exists? If you point to it and say, "here it is" as proof, then what allows you to say that you are actually seeing a hand? What keeps you from thinking that it may just be a supercomputer impressing upon your mind the sensations required to convince you that you have a hand?

I don't think proof is what your concerned with. I imagine that you're only concerned with pragmatics. You have what appears to be a hand, it functions like a hand, and therefore, it doesn't matter whether it's real or not. I imagine that's what you mean about God - regardless of whether God exists, it doesn't matter. Otherwise, I'd love to hear your proof for the existence of your hand laugh.gif
A Dude that says stuff
You are on the verge of being too deep arche, you know that don't u?
biggrin.gif

I think the proof though, since that's a concern, is that because we do not have enough mechanism to sense our environment (well, we can see, smell, hear and sometimes feel it... but why is our sensation the limit of the universe?), to really say that nothing outside of our experience can exist. that's very narrow.
And so, we are therefor forced, by today's overwhelmingingly intrusive world view to accept that EVERYTHING is a possibility, and that no one opinion rules over the other.
The problem is though, that this leaves many people dying with very uneasy and confused minds.

One certain reality is the actual thing, and we have to be willing to accept that everything except some one reality is wrong (that one thing hypothetically being one of the current world views or maybe even none of the existant world views).

huh.gif What is really real?? blink.gif
ἀρχή
QUOTE(A Dude that says stuff @ Jun 19 2005, 12:39 PM)
huh.gif  What is really real??  blink.gif
[snapback]195196[/snapback]

That's what metaphysics is all about smile.gif. The harder question is whether we can know anything at all in the first place.

People take knowing for granted. It's not as easy as many think.
Slashrose1010
I don't believe in organized church, especially catholic dry.gif I feel that sometimes they have some of the most stupid things instituted, like not having same sex marriage, female priests (is that only Catholic?), and certain religions that try to make big profits off of gullable believers.
The RZA
i need a religion cause it's scary to believe than when u die ur just gonna go in tha grond, but with religion i can believe that there's a paradise after death, after all da suffering heaven is our reward, or hell is our punishment
Foolio
^ odd statement. if you stop to think about were we go when we die, obviously no one knows. does a religion really affirm that there is a heaven, or does it just give you hope? in the end we either rot in the ground or go somewhere, but do we really need a religion to tell us?
The RZA
the point of relegion is to have something to believe in a.k.a Faith
Ed#1Fan2.0
deep,very deep.well for me i dont go to church but i believe in a god or higher power.
Scar-San
İ'm a muslim from Turkey
WhiteMike
Religions are so interesting, don't you guys agree. They shape the world we live in so dramatically, it could mean the difference between life and death in some parts in the world.
10 years ago in Sri Lanka, two groups called the Tamils(Hindu) and Sinhalese(Buddhist) were at war. These people geographically and biologically where of the same culture, but because of their religous differences and a majority population of Sinhalese, the fighting continued. Only a little while ago did the Tamils and the Sinhalese stop fighting, and thanks to the tsunami, they will need each others help (with the millions from the world bank and industrialized countries) to get back on their feet.
As shown, religions are known to produce conflict in various countries, but there is also much good to come out of religions. If there weren't such books as the bible or the koran, people in the world would have lived in much greater fear of looting and murder, even more-so then today.
So, can we agree the religion has a bitter-sweet relationship with todays growing world?
FeriWiccan
im a wiccan are there any other wiccans here?
Aleclom
No, I don't believe in any higher beings or whatnot. I have a more practical way of thinking.
xiaku
I'm a happy Catholic. :] I get confirmed in two years. Wheee!
Carnal Malefactor
There are happy catholics now? blink.gif
Laffe
i dont belive on something
I dont belive in it, before i see it
Scar-San
6/1 of world's population are muslims but there is no selection in poll. Weird
Full Flame Alchemist
I thought that was weird.
I'm muslim too. biggrin.gif
Zereena
I'm babtist...
I can't spell worth crap and my spell-check quit
so I don't know if that is spelled right or not dry.gif

~Zera~
Blitz
Atheist.
Shizuka85
I'm a Lutheran Christian.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Scar-San @ Aug 18 2005, 05:17 PM)
6/1 of world's population  are muslims but there is no  selection in poll. Weird
[snapback]255282[/snapback]

Well, it's not like your religion has been doing itself any favors lately...
Scar-San
please do not talk about my religion without knowing it
animejunkie429800
I don't really have a religion, but I believe in Taoism. biggrin.gif
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(Shizuka85 @ Aug 20 2005, 06:02 PM)
I'm a Lutheran Christian.
[right][snapback]256677[/snapback][/right]

Luther was against the poor pawns that wanted to get rid of the rich "land owners" who were very cruel to them...
that was in the "Pawn War" around 1500 in Germany... he was on the side of the "rich counts"... that's a thing which is not so admirable about Luther....
halomasta
I have no religion smile.gif but I hate it how society just thinks everyone's Christian mad.gif
Maes-Hughes
Aethist all the way my fine friends
alchemydude90
what ever happened to muslims
hitokiri
QUOTE(Scar-San @ Aug 18 2005, 06:17 PM)
6/1 of world's population  are muslims but there is no  selection in poll. Weird
[right][snapback]255282[/snapback][/right]

how can 600% of the world's population be one religion?
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Sep 10 2005, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE(Scar-San @ Aug 18 2005, 06:17 PM)
[right][snapback]255282[/snapback][/right]

how can 600% of the world's population be one religion?
[right][snapback]280500[/snapback][/right]

...if Allah wills it... laugh.gif
Catalyst
I'm Catholic
alchemydude90
i myself am muslim but i hope no one here is racist
A Song of Storm and Fire
To me the translation of "God" is life. I don't really believe in any organized religion but some do have good points like Buddhism, Hinduism, Shintoism, etc. When I think of "God" I do not think of some higher being in control of us all. Remember the quote "One is all, All is one."? Truely one is us and all is the universe. We are the slice of an apple, a part of the bigger picture, a part of Life.
No, no one here is (openly) racist, but there are atheists and agnostics who are excessively proud in their own beliefs and put down others'.
A Song of Storm and Fire
QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 11 2005, 01:30 PM)
No, no one here is (openly) racist, but there are atheists and agnostics who are excessively proud in their own beliefs and put down others'.
[right][snapback]281322[/snapback][/right]

True. If there is something I really believe in, is frowning at those kind of people. Wether it's religion, the constant fight of "Dogs or Cats?", or any other subject people should NOT put down others just because they are not like them. If you disagree with someone you should just respect their beliefs and don't force yours down their throats. x_X It was so immature when someone yelled to me I was "going to hell" just because I didn't believe in their religion. Lets keep up the positive karma please!!
Kazer
I'm rather strange, Buddhist/Taoist. I sometimes get kinda bored when my Christian friends start boasting about God and Jesus etc....
Femalchemist
I believe in God and that Jesus was sent to save our souls. I do talk about God and hopefully inform others about him but I try never to force my beliefs on anyone else. After all in the end you can only do what you feel is best for your life and when it comes time to die, hope you lived your life well.
himan9394
Don't we all believe in someone? Somebody who we have faith in, who we can trust with everything we have. Parents, friends, teachers, mentors, strangers? blink.gif and possibly even GOD? I myself but all faith in GOD yay!! biggrin.gif

Oooo and why would be cool too. I might be crazy but I believe in GOD because I think he's there watching over me all the time no matter if I want him to or not and that I know that he'll always be there!!
asunder
The sooner you believe in yourself...the sooner you'll gain self-confidence and remove self-doubt.
Sharingan Serpent
Well I have faith in my friends who always look out for me, my family for always being there, my Niisan for always trying, my teachers putting up with me and further more I belive in myself cause if we don't have faith then how can we even be able to accomplish all these success that we've obtained? laugh.gif
Popogeejo
I don't belive in any deities or crap like that.I belive in facts myself.
I also belive in Homer Simpson and Douglas Adams.
Sharingan Serpent
QUOTE(popogeejo @ Apr 10 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]377501[/snapback]

I don't belive in any deities or crap like that.I belive in facts myself.
I also belive in Homer Simpson and Douglas Adams.

Homer Simpson I know but who's Douglas Adams?
Popogeejo
He worte one of the best Books ever.
The book is great for arguing with people who say "It's in the bible so it must be true."
DustStorm
1. I believe in myself.
2. I believe in my Brother
3. I believe in my Parents
Ya, that's about it.
himan9394
Why not believe in a higher power? You believe everything happen by chance?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.