Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tell Us About Your Beliefs/religions
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
wolfi1412
<Edited to add "Islam" and "Other Christian Religion (please specify)" to the poll choices. And, changed thread title from "your beliefs" to "Tell us about your Beliefs/religions" and corrcted poll title and question from "or what's ur religion" to "or, what is your religion?" And, corrected Atheist poll choice from "dont' believe in any kind of religion" to "don't believe in existence of god/gods" 03/19/07 ~Tombow>

just curious... so, do u believe in any?
Thievesvinegar
Well if you're curious, i do not have a religion nor am i an atheist. I'm the type who goes around and takes what she likes.
Fullmetal Alchemist Pr0
well im the same as Thievesvinegar i don't go to church or anything
Omakase Shimasu
I got home-schooled by 'Jehova's Witnesses' some time ago. I believe in God, Jesus and Paradise. ^__^
chloe
hmm... almost my entire life from kindergarten up to now i have been in catholic school and christen school (or school's belief that base of christen, i've changed from school to school, y'know) so i am still deeply attached to catholic
I am not officially a Christen/Catholic, and i don't believe the entire bible, but i do believe in almost all of their way of ethics
RolfKaese
Atheist, in germany we say "Heide".
i dont believe in anything but myself (if we talk about religion, not social believeness).
WarzoneCommand
QUOTE(RolfKaese @ Aug 27 2004, 01:32 PM)
Atheist, in germany we say "Heide".
i dont believe in anything but myself (if we talk about religion, not social believeness).

Hhehe here in Holland it is too ( only you write it like this "heiden" ) But anyway, on topic then:

My mom and dad are catholic so I sould be too, but I don't realy beleve in anything so I'm a logical atheist
Chibi Viki
question: what's the difference between being a christian and a catholic?

(MJHERMI) Hehehehe... am interrupting Viki's message right now because she's using MY computer... anyway, yeah, what *is* the difference...?
WarzoneCommand
QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ Aug 27 2004, 05:23 PM)

(MJHERMI) Hehehehe... am interrupting Viki's message right now because she's using MY computer...  anyway, yeah, what *is* the difference...?

The religian is "Christianity" it is split in 2 "Cahtolics" and "Protestants" ( don't know if I translated it right ) Catholic is the original christianity, protestantism split off in the 16'th century, the protestants were against the statues in churches etc.
RolfKaese
so its like a protestant believes in god and has sex, a catholic believe in god and does'nt has sex.
Prinz_Zoisit
i am christian... and i hope to be a born-again... some time^^^^^^^^

QUOTE(WarzoneCommand @ Aug 27 2004, 05:11 PM)
QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ Aug 27 2004, 05:23 PM)

(MJHERMI) Hehehehe... am interrupting Viki's message right now because she's using MY computer...  anyway, yeah, what *is* the difference...?

The religian is "Christianity" it is split in 2 "Cahtolics" and "Protestants" ( don't know if I translated it right ) Catholic is the original christianity, protestantism split off in the 16'th century, the protestants were against the statues in churches etc.

the protestants were against mary as a holy one!..... and they were against Paul, and Petrus, and martin, and all the others as holy ones.......

Jesus is the only holy one!!
Thievesvinegar
Satanism doesn't sound too bad, it's a very individulaistic religion. the thing is, most people think it's so bad becasue of the misconceptions, but once you try to find evidence for most of the negative things, there are none.
wolfi1412
well, actually Catholic comes from Rome, and in "Jesus" times, there are no such thing as "protestants" and "catholics", I think until some Roman ruler order the whole nation to believe in God, and so.. there u go.. Catholics are currently more to be called Roman Catholic.. and I don't think Protestants didn't deny Paul, Peter, etc, etc, I think the one who started 'Protestants' was Martin Luther. He PROTESTED the Roman Catholic church because of a problem thing.. so they called it "Protestants"
Mary is to be called the "Holy Mother" (I think) in the Catholics, but protestants only believe that Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit is the Holy One, well obviously because they're not humans! Mary is a human, so there's a BIG difference.. Jesus was human, but he didnt' sin at all, so he's holy.
Roman Catholic have more rules (I knw, coz my school used to be a Catholic school)
and, if I'm not wrong, they deny the statues in the churches, because those statues might be wrong... No one ever knows what does Peter, John, Luke, (and the rest of 12 disciples), Jesus, and Mary looks like. Even the picture "The Last Supper" by Da Vinci was by Da Vinci's own imagination.
phew.. so does that sort of explain?
Prinz_Zoisit
did you all know how the religion of the catholics with Mary as their Mother was created?!?!
in the Bible, Mary is never mentioned as often as Jesus, so it's more sure that Jesus is the really and only God..

The Romans in the early years(around<100) searched a religion which was christian and would persuade most of the Roman people... The Romans thought that the Christians weren't as bad as they thought, cause you could rely on them and they are peaceful.
But the Roman reigners wanted that all the Romans believed in Christianity to be good in their doings.

And because at that time, most of the Roman people were believing in nature Gods or stones or in fertile Gods like Artemis who had 1000 breasts in order to give milk to many children..
That's why the Romans said -> "Mary is the new God" she is Christian and she is a woman(sign of fertility), so that many will be convinced of this religion in future...

That's how it was... the Bible was "reinterpreted" from the Roman rulers, what is not right only in order to "christianize" many people...
On the one hand, it's good that more people got christian, but they believed in the wrong things^^;;;
Hope
Artemis/Diana wasn't the goddess of fertility. She was a virgin, and basically the patron goddess of women who eschewed the company of men. She was also the goddess of the moon and the hunt. She certainly didn't have 1,000 breasts, and as she had never had sexual intercourse, let alone had a child, even if she did, they wouldn't give any milk.

Also, I think that the question wasn't "What's the difference between Protestant and Catholic?" but rather "What's the difference between Christian and Catholic?". It was a mistake in the poll up there - the options are "christian" and "catholic," rather than "protestant" and "catholic."

Personally, I'm atheist. It works out well; I sleep in on Sundays, and can blaspheme to my heart's content. Whee.
rsF
I believe that everyone's "God" is within themselves. Praying to another "God" will not do anything progressive. Only through hard work, determination, self-belief, and the will to survive, will anyone succeed in life. That is the religion I believe in. (Of course, with a little help with your friends and family, whom will support you through those hard times, and celebrate through joyous occasions.)

(I am terribly sorry for anyone I may have offended. I personally find religion very distracting a pointless, but those who believe in it, I respect and understand.)
wolfi1412
we won't be offended... it's an open forum and we won't scold anyone... don't want this thread to become an online debate...
Thievesvinegar
QUOTE(rsF @ Aug 29 2004, 01:45 AM)
I believe that everyone's "God" is within themselves. Praying to another "God" will not do anything progressive. Only through hard work, determination, self-belief, and the will to survive, will anyone succeed in life. That is the religion I believe in.

Agreed.
ScaR
I'm an atheist but if i have to chose one I'd say buddhist... I like the way they treat other people... you know all people are the same worth... And Buddaj ownz biggrin.giftongue.gif
MJHermi
QUOTE(Hope @ Aug 29 2004, 01:44 AM)
Also, I think that the question wasn't "What's the difference between Protestant and Catholic?" but rather "What's the difference between Christian and Catholic?". It was a mistake in the poll up there - the options are "christian" and "catholic," rather than "protestant" and "catholic."

That's how I remember it during one of my Bible study class at work - Roman Catholics and Protestants can be considered different sects under the religion of Christianity, but I just wanted to make sure that I remember correctly, since the poll had listed both Catholic and Christian as choices.

Anyway, I live in a predominantly Roman Catholic nation, so I'm born and baptized as Catholic. However, about the only Catholic thing I do is go to Sunday Mass, although I do voluntary outreaches with my friends at times (I sometimes teach kids how to draw. biggrin.gif ). I'm definitely not as devoted as my maternal grandmother, who's absolutely convinced that all computers are made of the devil and hereby practically disowning me in the process, since I'm a graduate of computer studies and am working in the field. Hmm. Come to think of it, we haven't talked decently since we last fought about that. And frankly, I don't really care.
Prinz_Zoisit
yes, it's really difficult to discuss about things like that cause you have always to tolerate the other view...

also me.... i say i am christian(hope to be a reborn, one day)... but for me, things like honour etc are still important...
but honour etc and "superbity"(dont really know if the word exists) actually is the enemy of Christianity...

^^^;;
*sigh
my life is a mixture of all the beautiful and interesting things in this world although not everything is right after the law of Christianity...

but i hope to be smarter in future.........

maybe if i get old and if anime isn't so important to me anymore, i will focus more on Christianity...

or another example is that i like beautiful guys
RoyxRiza BigFan
i am more of a pragmatic christianity sort
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(RoyxRiza BigFan @ Aug 29 2004, 06:17 PM)

what does "pragmatic" mean for you?!

you only live after the things that are in the bible that are useful to you?
MJHermi
Zoi-kun, maybe the Christian teachings where you live is a little strict...?

My parents had raised me as a Catholic, but I do have my own sense of honor and "superbity". I compensate for this by doing my share of help when it is needed. Doing outreach with my friends - where I can help street kids and have fun with my friends at the same time - is my way of making up for the fact that I'm more fortunate than they are. I also do this voluntarily because I really want to, and not because someone is forcing me to do it. The way I was raised, I had been taught that God gave me free will to do what I want - if someone is just forcing me, then what's the point if I'm not doing it willingly?

I suppose I am fortunate that it had been my parents to have raised me and helped me in my religion instead of my maternal grandmother (shudder). I believe in Jesus and the teachings of Roman Catholicism, but I'm also tolerant of other people's religions and beliefs. In fact, I've had good friends who's either a Protestant, atheist, born-again, even Hindu. I honestly think that people who say "if you don't believe in God/Jesus/Allah/whoever, then you'll perish in hell!" are silly and stupid (and we do run into them openly proclaiming those in buses and such on occasion...).

Oh, and I've never read the bible as a whole. laugh.gif

Sure, I know the main stories, but not the ones in between. I really tried reading once, but I got too bored. Besides. The bible is a collection of books written by man. They may be inspired by God, but they're still made by men. Aside from which, were the translators of these books also inspired? There are just so many versions now, even with all the numbered chapters and verses, it's hard to say if they even carry the same meaning as the original ones.
wolfi1412
well, currently I'm surrounded by ppl that are Atheist or Buddhist in my school, and they're my best friend....

talking about our 'free will' I guess that's very fair... I believe in that too, and Wow.. I'm impressed with you MJ... btw, my Mom volunteered to work in the hospital, her job is to.. *ehem* talk to ppl about their problems, and every week she have an interesting story.. she even met a tree-hugger (a term that's used for a very very very environmental person)

and about reading the bible.. I never finished the whole bible either.. but I'm almost done reading the 4 books (Matthew, Mark, John, Luke).. try reading the revelation and.. it's kinda interesting.. very interesting..
filimonovna
I'm Orthodox. I can't really say whether I believe in God or not. I feel that I love to think that i believe but I can't say that I truly do. Although, when I need God's help I pray and usually he helps me. It might sound stupid, but it's so. Maybe it's the way I calm myself down. I do not deny any other's Gods nad do not feel bad for atheists - it's their choice and it should be done by them, not by me. Although I don't like people who laugh at my religion only because they think its stupid.
RoyxRiza BigFan
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Aug 29 2004, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE(RoyxRiza BigFan @ Aug 29 2004, 06:17 PM)

what does "pragmatic" mean for you?!

you only live after the things that are in the bible that are useful to you?

ha ha thats only one part..the other is experience everyday and applying what i learn be it from wise guys or bible.
Prinz_Zoisit
QUOTE(MJHermi @ Aug 29 2004, 06:50 PM)
I honestly think that people who say "if you don't believe in God/Jesus/Allah/whoever, then you'll perish in hell!" are silly and stupid (and we do run into them openly proclaiming those in buses and such on occasion...).

i havn't read the bible as a whole as well, only the first 16 pages^^;; and some passages in the middle...

yea, i too, know ppl who say, if you don't believe in Chirst, you will go to hell..

I've got a friend. He is sooo intelligent and a sooo good friend(our friendship in the case of music is almost like love, but he got a girl-friend)... but he doesn't believe!.....

and i can't imagine that these ppl shall die in hell.......that can't be true!!
filimonovna
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Aug 30 2004, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE(MJHermi @ Aug 29 2004, 06:50 PM)
I honestly think that people who say "if you don't believe in God/Jesus/Allah/whoever, then you'll perish in hell!" are silly and stupid (and we do run into them openly proclaiming those in buses and such on occasion...).

i havn't read the bible as a whole as well, only the first 16 pages^^;; and some passages in the middle...

yea, i too, know ppl who say, if you don't believe in Chirst, you will go to hell..

I've got a friend. He is sooo intelligent and a sooo good friend(our friendship in the case of music is almost like love, but he got a girl-friend)... but he doesn't believe!.....

and i can't imagine that these ppl shall die in hell.......that can't be true!!

I believe in God, but I don't believe in any heaven/hell stuff. This is most likely to be a tale to me. And I don't think that even if they existed people would go there only because they wouldn't believe.
Thievesvinegar
converning everything ^ there.

See, i think it's great that you're all devout but just don't try to shove your beliefs down my throat.

Thats there all the problems start.
MJHermi
I don't think anybody here is trying to "shove" our beliefs "down your throat". We're just stating our opinions. This is an open forum, after all. smile.gif

I agree with what you said - forcing other people to join one's religion causes a lot of problems. And stuff such as the Crusades and the Jihad are, for me, total nonsense. Why can't we all just get along, regardless of what belief we have?
Thievesvinegar
QUOTE(MJHermi @ Aug 31 2004, 03:50 AM)
I don't think anybody here is trying to "shove" our beliefs "down your throat".  We're just stating our opinions.  This is an open forum, after all.  smile.gif

I apologize for the misconception. It's not you guys thats doing the shoving, in fact this thread is pretty civil, but i was just stating the problem.

It's always been a sad fact that more people have died in the name of god than anything else.
filimonovna
I agree with what you said - forcing other people to join one's religion causes a lot of problems.  And stuff such as the Crusades and the Jihad are, for me, total nonsense.  Why can't we all just get along, regardless of what belief we have?

I totally agree with you! I wouldn't change my religion anyway, but why can't I be friends with a person of other beliefs? See, even another orthodox has different beliefs than I - and in that case we're the same different as if we believed in different Gods.
Thievesvinegar
I agree with what you said - forcing other people to join one's religion causes a lot of problems.  And stuff such as the Crusades and the Jihad are, for me, total nonsense.

The problem then becomes when the Crusades and the Jihad are ways of life for some individuals. Who are we to deny thier life?
MJHermi
QUOTE(Thievesvinegar @ Aug 31 2004, 08:16 PM)
The problem then becomes when the Crusades and the Jihad are ways of life for some individuals. Who are we to deny thier life?

We can't deny them their way of life. But we can show them the importance of other people's lives... lives of whom they cut short in the name of their god. Then hopefully they can move on from there.

I'm going to be honest, though. I don't think I'm going to be brave enough to do that. (sweatdrop)

It's actually a little difficult to talk about this, because human morality is also involved. For the most part of the world, killing is immoral, and therefore should be avoided. But for these few who had been taught differently, killing is justifiable. Since it goes against the way the rest of the world thinks, then these few are completely wrong.

Ever wonder how different the world would be if it's the other way around...?
Thievesvinegar
That's true, but there is such an intense diversity of people it is impossible to satify even most of them.

What do you mean killing is immoral? Sure it is, but that doesn't stop us from doing it. Just sick it under the guise of a "cause" and killers become heroes.
wolfi1412
well, in my opinion, killing shouldn't be necessary if humans are not greedy, full of pride, envious, (u name all the 7 sins) rite? rite?
my teacher said, even ppl use religion to start a war... but their true intention is all about politics and economy... (they want more riches for their country)
filimonovna
Freedom of one person ends there, where freedom of another person begins. We can't force people stop believing in something - but we MUST show them that it is not a reason to kill other people. I live my own, small and happy life. My God is kind and I love him. But I can't imagine him, one day ordering me to kill someone, because he doesn't believe.

One of my classmates was an atheist. Although all the others, including me are not God fanatics, it was quite uncomfortable to discuss religion things in his presence - he always laughed at us, making round eyes 'And you believe in this sillyness?' But if my God would make me kill him, I would stop believe in him. The God, that FORCES people is not a good God to believe in.
MJHermi
My sentiments exactly! biggrin.gif
Thievesvinegar
QUOTE(wolfi1412 @ Sep 1 2004, 07:05 AM)
well, in my opinion, killing shouldn't be necessary if humans are not greedy, full of pride, envious, (u name all the 7 sins) rite? rite?
my teacher said, even ppl use religion to start a war... but their true intention is all about politics and economy... (they want more riches for their country)

Agreed. Religious Wars aren't really religious wars. It's just extreme discrimination and unstable economy.
wolfi1412
and racism.. (Germans and Jews)
MJHermi
I agree that, for the leaders of these "religious wars", usually they have other motives. However, for the most part, the soldiers that they do involve in this war believe in the religious connotations those leaders are conveying, especially if they rely on other people to tell them about their religion.

The people most affected by these are the uneducated. Example - the Filipinos during the Spanish era couldn't understand the Latin prayers the priests made them mutter, much less the long masses held back then. Because of this, they were taken advantage of. They were made to believe many, many things, a lot of which are fake. Sadly, this still happens in the world today.

I guess this something which one could call "blind faith". Belief in something without question or understanding. Huh... blink.gif
filimonovna
Yes, you're right, with stating belief. But how, HOW can a contemporary person become a soldier of Jihad? HOW? I don't understand. Yes, there are some dumb people, living in woods and not knowing about world around, but those, ivolved in religious wars - they know about TV, they use modern arms, they are educated like me or you! How can they???
Thievesvinegar
Faith?
wolfi1412
well faith but blind one... coz they have the wrong teachings from their teachers...
filimonovna
Aw, well... Wrong teachers... I can't understand. I'm probably TOO independent from ANY opinions, because, I do not admit any of anyone before I agree with it.
wolfi1412
aa... can u explain that a little bit more?
Omakase Shimasu
I think I understand. He doesn't admit to the belief until he has agreed to the belief. biggrin.gif Right?
Carnal Malefactor
According to selectsmart.com, I am a Unitarian Universalist.

ohmy.gif
filimonovna
QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Sep 6 2004, 06:28 PM)
I think I understand. He doesn't admit to the belief until he has agreed to the belief.  biggrin.gif Right?

Yep. SOmetimes it happens, that I write (and speak) english too eratically, afterwards not understanding myself what I was writing about. SOrry for this, I'll try to check what I write before posting.

PS. I'm 'she', by the way. happy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.