Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gungrave
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Pages: 1, 2
Celestial Shadow
Gungrave (ガングレイヴ Gangureivu?) is a Japanese animated television series based on the video game of the same name, created by Yasuhiro Nightow. The series is directed by Toshiyuki Tsuru, from a screenplay by Yousuke Kuroda, and produced by Madhouse Studios. Gungrave aired on TV Tokyo from October 6, 2003 to March 29, 2004, totaling twenty-six episodes. Like the Gungrave video game, and its sequel Gungrave: Overdose, the series' music is provided by Tsuneo Imahori; this also includes the series' opening theme.
(Source - Wiki)

Plot Summary: Brandon Heat, a silent and passive man, is living a laid back life with his friends. He's got his eyes on Maria, but her uncle forbids their relationship. After the brutal murder of his friends and Maria's father, Brandon is on the run together with the only friend he has left; Harry McDowell. When he finds out custody over Maria has been taken by Millennion, the largest mafia syndicate in town, he and Harry decide to join the syndicate. He goes through many hardships after joining the syndicate but he is willing to risk everything as long as he can be close to Maria.

Genres: action, drama, science fiction, supernatural
Themes: mafia, revenge, tragedy
Episodes: 26
Age Rating: Mature
(Source - ANN)

-----------

I heard it came out on TechTV/G4TV in 2003 or 2004, and then went on hiatus until now. I'm just starting to get into it, but I'm aware there must be some that have already finished the series are have watched the previous dubbed ones.

So, are there any fans of this wonderful anime?
Ryuji1314
eh, I'e wanted to see it for a while now, but never got the chance... is it good at all? oh and love the sig and avvy, they're my fave!
Celestial Shadow
Well I've only seen a little of it...It's from the creators of Trigun and from what I've seen it's really good.
Ryuji1314
sweeet, I'll ask my couzin to download some eps. for me then
edsgirl
This is one of my favorite animes! The entire series is good, but there are a few episodes without any action in it. It's a great story about two best buds that climb the mafia ladder together. And one of them betrays the other. That's the basics of the anime, but lots and lots of action. By the way, I could have sworn that someone created a thread for this before. Anywho, I highly reccommend it!
Celestial Shadow
Yeah I would've thought someone would've already created a topic so I looked back through the pages and also searched, and sure, people talked about it, but there was never any single thread I found for it.

I'm really glad to hear your reccomendation on this one biggrin.gif You've made one before for me and I ended up really liking that show. I'm also really glad to hear there's lots of action, I haven't really seen too many shows lately that had alot.
Ryuji1314
eh, I watch Naruto and that has plenty of action, but I need action like this....
Celestial Shadow
I wish I could watch Naruto. The most action I've had lately has been FMA subs and Samurai Champloo once a week.
heavensangel
it's a really good anime i haven't finished it yet cause I am watching it on tech tv but man oh man I love it
Ryuji1314
I have all the FMA eps. on my computer... they're english subtitles...
Slashrose1010
I have seen the first two eps. It is pretty OK so far. I like the animation as well. I have the next two eps as well. This anime seems promising ^^ I shall watch more. Thanks, Celes-chon, for the reccomendation.
edsgirl
Brandon Heat just gets hotter and hotter as the show goes on! wub.gif And his personality gets better as well. I wasn't fond of the first couple of episodes, but it really starts to pick up once the first tragedy happens.
Celestial Shadow
You know I have to totally agree with that. At first I was just like "Well he's cute" then when he was about 22, I was drooling. Then when he was about 27, he went completely opposite and had the whole business guy look going on, and at first I hated it, then I started to like it even more 'cause he looks so damn hot with glasses wub.gif It was more of a reserved hotness.

But...before I go totally fangirly, I have to say that I notice he gets more talkative as it goes on, and of course less kind in some ways but still really sweet and always remembers his friends. I didn't see much of a change in him though, besides the talkativeness.

I believe I'll finally be able to finish the series when the last few new episodes come on, on the night of July 4th biggrin.gif
Zabimaru
Gungrave is a very good Anime, one of my favorites and I higly recommend it for Action Anime Lovers.
AlphonseRules
I saw about 4 episodes when I was on vacation a few weeks back. It was alright for a change of pace but it didn't seem like something I would like in the long term. You can't necesarilly judge an anime on 4 episodes though.
Zabimaru
It actuallay gets real good around episode 7
Martel
My friend just lent me the first DVD and I'm watching it right now... So far, I think it's fricken awesome! The animation is great even though the dubbing in very first episode kinda sucks but other than that I really like it!
Celestial Shadow
I'm glad people are getting into it biggrin.gif But I warn you all- it's the saddest anime I've ever watched and has to be one of the most depressing around. It's still really, really good, so keep watching if you can take the sadness...
Martel
Uh oh... why am I getting the vibe that everyone dies? sad.gif
ShiroiKazeru
I've only watched the first eight episodes and it was great. But I have to agree that it is rather on the dark, depressing side. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other characters die...I just hope it doesn't turn out to be along the lines of Wolf's Rain. >.<
Celestial Shadow
QUOTE(Martel @ Jul 26 2005, 08:08 PM)
Uh oh... why am I getting the vibe that everyone dies?  sad.gif
[snapback]228029[/snapback]

rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(ShiroiKazeru @ Jul 28 2005, 10:15 PM)
I just hope it doesn't turn out to be along the lines of Wolf's Rain. >.<
[snapback]230879[/snapback]

I personally think it's worse...
Riza Babe
I LOVE THIS ANIME!!!!!!!! Bradon Heat OWNS!!!! But he has to like Maria...
edsgirl
QUOTE(Riza Babe @ Aug 23 2005, 11:10 AM)
I LOVE THIS ANIME!!!!!!!! Bradon Heat OWNS!!!! But he has to like Maria...
[snapback]259143[/snapback]

One of the best! biggrin.gif And yes Brandon Heat does own. It's very sad though. A total trainwreck.
Riza Babe
lol yeah, Always following Harry. He Also has to like Maria >_>
fullmetal_4eva
Is FMA and Inu Yasha considered violent (i think it is)

well they're my fav shows
edsgirl
QUOTE(fullmetal_4eva @ Aug 23 2005, 01:20 PM)
Is FMA and Inu Yasha considered violent (i think it is)

well they're my fav shows
[snapback]259246[/snapback]

What does that have to do with Gungrave?
Anyways, to answer question, I would say no. This is way more violent than those two put together.
Riza Babe
Very!!! Ep 5 oO I felt sorry for bradon he has to watch the robbers die.
Celestial Shadow
Aw, I WANTED Brandon to like Maria...But nothing ever worked out on that damned show *cries*
edsgirl
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Aug 24 2005, 08:36 PM)
Aw, I WANTED Brandon to like Maria...But nothing ever worked out on that damned show *cries*
[snapback]260955[/snapback]

I was hoping for that too, but apparently, she was into geezers tongue.gif
Celestial Shadow
Yeah, that was so retarded dry.gif An old geezer over Brandon? I mean geez, was she on crack or something?
edsgirl
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Aug 24 2005, 08:49 PM)
Yeah, that was so retarded dry.gif An old geezer over Brandon? I mean geez, was she on crack or something?
[snapback]260982[/snapback]

She was seriously doped up! But some of it was Brandon's fault. He should have spoke up, although that would have been out of his character.
Celestial Shadow
Yeah, I know it kind of was. But still. Would YOU have let Brandon go, knowing he was in love with you? I sure as hell wouldn't sleep.gif
edsgirl
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Aug 24 2005, 09:04 PM)
Yeah, I know it kind of was. But still. Would YOU have let Brandon go, knowing he was in love with you? I sure as hell wouldn't sleep.gif
[snapback]261014[/snapback]

Hell no! I'd hold on for dear life laugh.gif
Celestial Shadow
Exactly! So I think we have determined Maria was either on drugs or just plain stupid tongue.gif At least Mika had some sense...
edsgirl
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Aug 24 2005, 09:12 PM)
Exactly! So I think we have determined Maria was either on drugs or just plain stupid tongue.gif At least Mika had some sense...
[snapback]261028[/snapback]

I liked Mika at first, but after a while, I was hoping she would get shot in the head. IPB ImageShe just whined too much for my taste. She cried in like every episode she was in. After awhile, I just couldn't take much more of her.
Riza Babe
lol, you guys hating on Big Daddy, I hate Him too. HE Thinks hes big but I've seen bigger people. Why can't they call him Little D?
Celestial Shadow
QUOTE(edsgirl @ Aug 25 2005, 03:44 AM)
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Aug 24 2005, 09:12 PM)
[snapback]261028[/snapback]

I liked Mika at first, but after a while, I was hoping she would get shot in the head. IPB ImageShe just whined too much for my taste. She cried in like every episode she was in. After awhile, I just couldn't take much more of her.
[snapback]261321[/snapback]

laugh.gif I agree. Though I almost wanted Brandon to be with her just because I felt sad that he never got to love anyone really in his lifetime... sad.gif

QUOTE(Riza Babe @ Aug 25 2005, 10:57 AM)
lol, you guys hating on Big Daddy, I hate Him too. HE Thinks hes big but I've seen bigger people. Why can't they call him Little D?
[snapback]261452[/snapback]

Big Daddy's cool and all, but it's just...He isn't my taste tongue.gif
Riza Babe
Big daddy lol made Maria in to his "Family"
edsgirl
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Aug 25 2005, 07:23 PM)

laugh.gif I agree. Though I almost wanted Brandon to be with her just because I felt sad that he never got to love anyone really in his lifetime... sad.gif

I was hoping they'd get togther so she'd shut the hell up!
Riza Babe
lol, yeah,

Maria: Bradon....Bradon...
Celestial Shadow
@edsgirl- laugh.gif You didn't even care about poor Brandon
Riza Babe
lol, Now I care about Renji biggrin.gif
Celestial Shadow
dry.gif Some fangirl, though I meant edsgirl. And Mika is Maria's daughter...
Riza Babe
lol wasn't reading it properly lol
edsgirl
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Aug 25 2005, 07:32 PM)
@edsgirl- laugh.gif You didn't even care about poor Brandon
[snapback]261982[/snapback]

That's true tongue.gif But damn, Mika made it so hard for me to like her. Poor Brandon, why couldn't he get a chick like Sherry? She would ride and die for her man.
Celestial Shadow
laugh.gif Yeah, Sherry was pretty awesome. She didn't care if she had to die or not, as long as she could be with her guy. But Maria was so flighty, she went to an old pile of bones that was supposed to be like her frickin' uncle dry.gif
hanzo
Who do you like better, Brandon or Harry?
Sharingan Serpent
QUOTE(hanzo @ Apr 3 2006, 04:54 AM) [snapback]373709[/snapback]

Who do you like better, Brandon or Harry?

Diffanatly Braden he can be cute at times when he was alive
hanzo
It's like scarface... Rags to riches... After being top in Millenion.....
Ehr... Just watch it.. It's very good... 26 eps you can finish it in less than a day if you have all the time
beyondredemption
I love Gungrave, especially the character Brandon Heat. I was so sad that G4 hasn't continued showing the series, and there's a few episodes I missed. mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.