Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suggestions For This Board/Forum
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Site Support Center > Member Requests and Suggestions
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Tombow
Merged the thread. smile.gif
Hanae Mai
I highly recommend you to lock topics that are too long, and open new threads for those topics. For instant, Rate the Avatar Above You version 2. Our forum would look better that way.
Tombow
@Hanae Mai - Since no one has responded so far, let me be the first to say.. Welcome to the board!! And, thank you for your suggestion!! happy.gif About closing threads that are long, and opening new ones.. I have seen some other boards do that, and from what I know, I think we did that on this board also at some point for some threads... I think that was during the early stage of this board... like, in 2004? unsure.gif
Although, since then, it seems the long threads have been part of our traditions. ^^
But, I'm sure our Admins will read all the suggestions and give careful considerations. happy.gif
Ailuro
I mostly agree with Tombow, but if it ever becomes an issue and the forums begin looking cluttered, we'll be sure to consider your suggestion. Thank you. smile.gif
gold_alchemist
~ Forums For Galley Requests?, the discussions could have some requests for the galleries. ~

I think there should be a fma gallery request forum. for people who are wanting to like find a certain picture, or a wallpaper, avitar, signature, etc. specially created for them.
Popogeejo
We already have signature/avatar shops. Look in Fan works. I'm sure there are some Wallpaper shops in there as well.
Chuchan
I dont know if anyone has already suggested this but what about a forum for General fan art?
asunder
http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/...hp?showforum=24
this subforum doubles as a place where people share their fanart regardless if it is fma related or not
Toby-Chan
Have we yet discussed the creation of a video/animation subforum for fanworks?
asunder
not yet to my knowledge.

perhaps we should also revisit the idea of a cosplay subforum.

What are y'all's thoughts?
Popogeejo
Please, please get rid of the filter that changes ass to arse. It's really silly.
Shows of FMA's age rating would allow ass to be used to be used so this forum should allow it. If there are mebers here who are to young to hear such fowl language then odds are that they are to young to be watching FMA and shouldn't be here anyway.

perhaps we should also revisit the idea of a cosplay subforum.

What are y'all's thoughts?

I'd say go for it but I fear the "Japanese Pro cosplayer Vs American armature cosplayer" flame fests I will invariably instigate that will happen.

Have we yet discussed the creation of a video/animation subforum for fanworks?

There'd be big problems with AMV's and using copyrighted music, no?

[All hail lord Xenu] [All hail lord Xenu] [All hail lord Xenu] [All hail lord Xenu] [All hail lord Xenu]
DNA
~ RP Profile Thread ~

The title says it all. a secsion to post rp profiles Yay or niegh?
Popogeejo
Just make the thread in the RP section. Most people just post profiles at the start of each game though.
Tombow
QUOTE (DNA @ Dec 18 2007, 01:00 PM) *
The title says it all. a secsion to post rp profiles Yay or niegh?

@DNA - Welcome to our board!! biggrin.gif
By "Profile" thread, you mean, Character thread?? If so, it's already in the RP community forum.
But, as Popo mentioned, here most posters don't use it and instead post the character details on the RP thread as they join the thread, and it seems to be working fine that way as well. smile.gif
DNA
oh okay. and Thx for the welcome
zappo93
~ The Forum Should Have Talk-back Discussion Thread! ~

ok this is what i think we should add to the forum
a courent dicussion on the courent episode on tv!
back soon
asunder
That wouldn't really make sense since all the fma episodes have already been aired in both North America and Japan....several years ago.
There are already threads for particular episodes in the fma anime forum. If you haven't found one ( using the Search function) for the episode you are thinking of, you can create a new thread for that episode.
Tombow
@zappo93 - This might help? biggrin.gif

List of links to the FMA episode talk-back discussion threads.

It's ok to add your discussions for each of these episodes as they air again. smile.gif

Cait the Cat
A noob court forum. Where people can actually say the punishment for someone who broke many rules. (But within reason)

Sorry, but I was talking to Washu about it and decided it may be a good idea.
asunder
http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/...?showtopic=6808 we already have a thread for a 'noob court'

It just needs to be utilized more.
Cait the Cat
Well um, I just embarrassed myself. Thanks.
SaMaster14
Well, I know I'm kinda new, but I think that we should have some sort of chatbox or shoutbox on the forum. A lot of forums I belong to have chatboxes, plus there are A LOT of members here and I think a chatbox would be really fun to have and cool!
Popogeejo
DEAR ADMIN TYPE FOLKS:
Can y'all make it so voting in a poll doesn't bump the thread. It's annoying when poll whores go on rampages.
asunder
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Mar 17 2008, 01:41 PM) *
DEAR ADMIN TYPE FOLKS:
Can y'all make it so voting in a poll doesn't bump the thread. It's annoying when poll whores go on rampages.

agreed and changed.
Popogeejo
The system works!
zombie
Well, I know I'm kinda new, but I think that we should have some sort of chatbox or shoutbox on the forum. A lot of forums I belong to have chatboxes, plus there are A LOT of members here and I think a chatbox would be really fun to have and cool!

Um I think we did have one but it was not used or something like that. I cant remember 2 much about it as it was a long time ago now.
The Frozen Alchemist
~ Discussion Of Fma Novels ~

I just started getting the Fullmetal Alchemist novels and i thought it would be a good idea to talk about them.

I think we should have a section to talk about the FMA novels. There is one for the manga, anime, and movie so why not the novels.
Tombow
QUOTE (The Frozen Alchemist @ Apr 7 2008, 05:54 PM) *
I think we should have a section to talk about the FMA novels. There is one for the manga, anime, and movie so why not the novels.

Oh, but we do have: FMA Novels. Please join our FMA novel discussion there smile.gif

The Frozen Alchemist
Thanks
Mat-Mat
sleep.gif I wish for the site if you wanted to video chat with other members of the site that are logged in to talk to each other. That way we can learn about our friends here on this website just a little bit better. happy.gif
asunder
Not going to happen.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(MSV14 @ Apr 18 2008, 03:33 AM) *
sleep.gif I wish for the site if you wanted to video chat with other members of the site that are logged in to talk to each other. That way we can learn about our friends here on this website just a little bit better. happy.gif

You do realise how suspicious it sounds asking for video chat on a site made of mostly under 16's?
~Kurenai~
QUOTE(Popogeejo @ Apr 18 2008, 02:31 AM) *
QUOTE(MSV14 @ Apr 18 2008, 03:33 AM) *

You do realise how suspicious it sounds asking for video chat on a site made of mostly under 16's?

yeah, that sounds a bit creepy. mellow.gif

very suspicious
Mat-Mat
(MSV14 @ Apr 18 2008, 03:33 AM)
I wish for the site if you wanted to video chat with other members of the site that are logged in to talk to each other. That way we can learn about our friends here on this website just a little bit better.

(Popogeejo @ Apr 18 2008, 02:31 AM)You do realise how suspicious it sounds asking for video chat on a site made of mostly under 16's

dry.gif Yes, I D0 realize that. It would just be a thing for the moderators. I'm not saying it for the other members. sleep.gif Still, again I realize that, and I won't bring it up again. mellow.gif

huh.gif So, just wondering for the site, ever consider if the site members want to read the manga or watch the t.v. show and don't have time to buy the books that they could just go this website and read and watch the show? happy.gif I know there's youtube and there's probably a website that already does that, but that would be pretty cool for the website. cool.gif
asunder
read the manga? http://readmanga.com/
Popogeejo
QUOTE(MSV14 @ Apr 19 2008, 03:59 AM) *
(MSV14 @ Apr 18 2008, 03:33 AM)
I wish for the site if you wanted to video chat with other members of the site that are logged in to talk to each other. That way we can learn about our friends here on this website just a little bit better.

dry.gif Yes, I D0 realize that. It would just be a thing for the moderators. I'm not saying it for the other members. sleep.gif Still, again I realize that, and I won't bring it up again. mellow.gif

lol.

So, just wondering for the site, ever consider if the site members want to read the manga or watch the t.v. show and don't have time to buy the books that they could just go this website and read and watch the show?

Surely that's the members problem and not the sites?
Streaming anime is illegal and the manga is easy to find if you can figure out the complexities of googling "fullmetal alchemist chapter XX" fullmetal alchemist read online"

EDIT
Make me a mod!
DNA
~ Including Rp Posts For Our Post Counts? ~

Hey there

I was wondering if you guys could enable Rp Posts to count as real post (Should be a General by now lol) or if not why it's not in the first place.
asunder
No. The signal to noise ratio of the RP forum is too low.

In English: Too much spam occurs in the RP forum for this to be considered. If they were enabled this would only encourage the spamming.

don't worry about your post count or your "Title". They don't matter.
Xcommunicated
I'm suggesting to have other sub-forums for example forums concerning only technical related things, sports discussion forum, etc... Like moving the topic "Show us your desktop" to a forum like "Tech/PC chat" as an example

In this way, I think that the "open chat" will look neat and will be more like an off topic forum which will not fall under the category of PC-related stuff, sports, and so on... cool.gif
Tombow
@Xcommunicated - Welcome to our board!! ^^

Regarding your suggestion, if I may add, my personal observation is that, surprise as it may to some, Sport has never been much of a big topic on our board as far as I can remember.
I think we had one "catch all" sport thread that has been dead for a long time now, plus a few other threads for specific sport genre/events that had popped up over the past several years on our board, (yes A FEW, not even a DOZEN but I think only a few Sport related threads over the past several years. XDD) and IMO they didn't fair very well neither.

I think, maybe that might be the reason Sport forum/sub-forum has never been created?
And, I think the same reasoning might apply for other "potential" sub-forum categories such as "tech/pc" for not being created into a sub-forum? (not enough interests among members. XD)

So, given the current condition that Open Chat forum is not exactly being brimmed with threads and posts with topics in these categories, maybe Open Chat forum is serving adequately as a "catch all" forum for all these discussion topics for now?
Just my personal opinion. biggrin.gif
Anything
~ Save The Roleplays! Saving an endagered creature. ~

Hello, um... sorry to be a bother (Not much of a protester am I? *sigh*), but the roleplay community is near empty, is there a way to convince people to have a go, you know an advert or something like that. I know this is probably a waste of internet space, but I really am quite fond of it and it would be a shame for the roleplay community to die out.
asunder
The forum is getting a slight revitalization at the moment. Once the new series actually airs, we should get a fresh influx of people. That should help with the core problem.

I guess one thing you could try to do is make a special RP'er signature image. (within forum size rules of course). This'll attract other people (assuming you post in areas outside of the RP forum)

Another idea would be to make something similar to Popo's Day of the Homunculus Game thread ( http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com/forums/...showtopic=10906 ) and adapt it to your liking.
Vagrant
I'd suggest having less sections. From what I can see of the activity here I'm fairly certain that 7 sections just for the manga/animes is far from necessary.

I'd probably suggest having a section for FMA as a whole (merged with the characters and games sections) and then just have maybe one for the manga and one for both anime. (or two anime, but definitely merge the movie with the original series)

I dunno. The place just seems cavernous and needlessly annoying to navigate. Plus I have no idea where to make threads about certain things. >_<
Little Washu
QUOTE (Vagrant @ May 2 2009, 08:49 AM) *
I'd suggest having less sections. From what I can see of the activity here I'm fairly certain that 7 sections just for the manga/animes is far from necessary.

I'd probably suggest having a section for FMA as a whole (merged with the characters and games sections) and then just have maybe one for the manga and one for both anime. (or two anime, but definitely merge the movie with the original series)

I dunno. The place just seems cavernous and needlessly annoying to navigate. Plus I have no idea where to make threads about certain things. >_<

The board is, initially, for FMA, so it makes sense that there will be a lot of different sections. If they were to do what you say, it would be chaotic.

Also, knowing where and where not to make a topic, that's just common sense.
Vagrant
There's seems to be about two active topics in the four or so active sections. If merged I wouldn't call that chaotic.

And if someone wants to talk about both anime or the franchise as a whole or ask a question about, say the novels or the voice actors or something about the fan community (such as the origins of that 'dream on' fan music video >_<), where's that supposed to go?
Tombow
QUOTE (Vagrant @ May 5 2009, 09:13 PM) *
There's seems to be about two active topics in the four or so active sections.....

And if someone wants to talk about both anime or the franchise as a whole or ask a question about, say the novels or the voice actors or something about the fan community (such as the origins of that 'dream on' fan music video >_<), where's that supposed to go?

@Vagrant - FMA novels are discussed in FMA manga section, and VAs are discussed in FMA anime setion. And, fan-made video is discussed in FMA Fanworks section. ^^

Oh, and since fanworks forum is for fanworks done by our members, so if the vids are not made by our members but just some vids found on the Web, then we have different thread made to catch those also. And, BTW, as far as I know, we don't make threads and discuss about other boards or other fan communities on our board. smile.gif

Anyway, to me, this seems similar to other occasional confusions expressed by new posters who are not yet knowing the contents of each of our forums very well, and hence I don't quite get the connection between this to the suggested supposed "solution" of smashing all the FMA forums into one forum. mellow.gif

Could you, kindly explain to us in little more details, how combining all the existing FMA forums into one big forum will make things less confusing for our posters?

Suppose we'll have one giant FMA forum, as you suggested, and then all FMA related threads will go into one forum, and then what will be the next?

The way I see it, if this suggestion gets implemented, then once posters go inside that one forum, all the threads from all different categories are mixed in, and it will be one giant chaos inside that forum, just as Little Washu has posted.

BTW, we don't just have two active threads for each of FMA forum categories. >.<

I think there seems to be some big difference in the definition of "active" threads, but anyway, according to what I consider to be active, as in the threads that are still open and hence the members are welcomed to post on, and many posters do... I think we have roughly 1,200 or so of these threads that are open and "postable" among FMA forums, and among them are 100 ~ 200 of considerably more active threads.

Maybe I am not reading your post correctly, but so far what I fail to understand is how cramming these 1200 plus threads into one giant forum will make our board a less confusing place for posters, and it seems to me that that crucial part of the explanation is completely missing form your suggestion. unsure.gif

Actually, it does not really matter whether I or Little Washu would understand your suggestion, but if you would like to present your suggestion to be a persuasive one, it might be helpful to try to explain in more details how making one giant inclusive forum for all FMA categories will, in your opinion, make our board a less confusing place for our posters. smile.gif
Vagrant
QUOTE (Tombow @ May 6 2009, 02:19 AM) *
QUOTE (Vagrant @ May 5 2009, 09:13 PM) *
And if someone wants to talk about both anime or the franchise as a whole or ask a question about, say the novels or the voice actors

@Vagrant - FMA novels are discussed in FMA manga section, and VAs are discussed in FMA anime setion. And, fan-made video is discussed in FMA Fanworks section. ^^
Ah, I missed the part about the manga section then.
But there's two animes. What if people want to talk about both?
And in the fanworks section you yourself closed a topic about other people's videos saying"this forum is for posting fanworks including FMA videos made by YOURSELF" and that these are supposed to be put in some other thread. :\

The characters section is pretty much fine, it's active enough to merit it's own section. Although I still think it should maybe be broadened to the franchise in general (for anything else that overlaps)...

The Brotherhood section only has about four always active topics and a weekly episode discussion thread.
The manga section has about the same amount of activity.

The old anime - I just don't see the point of its subforums at all. And the tenth thread down of the main section dates back to the 25th February. Not to mention the pinned topics that go back to march.

The film is pretty much a part of the original anime and definitely should be merged. "Those Who Have Seen The Movie, Rate It!" is the only regularly active thread thar.

The game discussion is sort of all over the place. I dunno. I'm probably biased against that because I don't like the FMA games. >_<

Fanworks' activity doesn't really need the two subforums either, does it?

And the tenth topic of the music section goes back to the 18th of December 2008.

I just think it could be improved and it would help streamline the forums more. Considering how tightly discussion is reined in to general threads for everything, all the space seems wasted. Right now it seems to discourage activity to me. :\

ETA: May 6

Little confused about the editing of your original post and I could've sworn you replied to this thread earlier. So I'm replying to your edit, I guess. Which is why I'm technically double posting here.

QUOTE (Tombow @ May 6 2009, 02:19 AM) *
Oh, and since fanworks forum is for fanworks done by our members, so if the vids are not made by our members but just some vids found on the Web, then we have different thread made to catch those also. And, BTW, as far as I know, we don't make threads and discuss about other boards or other fan communities on our board. smile.gif
Could you point me in the direction of these threads?
And I didn't mean discussing other websites, I meant discussing FMA fandom in general. When it isn't specific to characters or one type of media.

I'm also not saying there should be one single forum that everything FMA should be moved into, I'm just saying I think you should cut down on the overabundance of sections and subsections.
For one example; I don't see the point of splitting up the Japanese and American FMA watchers OR having a mother forum for both of these. It would be simpler and more encouraging of activity to have it as just one forum for the original series. And since the movie is part of that, I'd suggest merging that one in there too.

However, I was suggesting is that the characters section should be expanded to FMA as a whole. So that if anyone wishes to talk about things that cross over into the different media, instead of JUST one thing, they can do so.
Any topics pertaining to say just the manga, can still go in the respective section.

I think there seems to be some big difference in the definition of "active" threads, but anyway, according to what I consider to be active, as in the threads that are still open and hence the members are welcomed to post on, and many posters do... I think we have roughly 1,200 or so of these threads that are open and "postable" among FMA forums, and among them are 100 ~ 200 of considerably more active threads.
I class 'active' as regularly posted in.

If you take the manga section, the first pinned topics, the latest chapter discussion topic, and two other topics seem to be the only ones that have been regularly active and posted in just almost every day.

Basically, if the sections were laid out something like this:
  • Fullmetal Alchemist franchise (for anything that overlaps)
  • Original anime (one section for all of it, including Conqueror of Shamballa)
  • Brotherhood
  • Manga
  • Games

And topics about music could go in the section related to what they originate from. (like music from the original series in the original series section) Fanworks could go in respective sections as well, or maybe a subforum in the Franchise section, if that would be better.

Now I'm not saying that's exact or perfect, but just something along those lines.
jubily
Hi there!
Why isn't there any section dedicated to the OAVs?
Tombow
QUOTE (jubily @ Oct 1 2009, 03:17 PM) *
Hi there!
Why isn't there any section dedicated to the OAVs?

Hi jubily, welcome to our board! I'm guessing the reason we don't have a sub-forum dedicated solely for OVA discussions is.... because the total volume of OVA discussions on our board probably does not warrant creating a forum solely for OVA discussions? ^^ Hence, OVA discussions share the forum with FMA movie discussions, and you can see the pinned "FMA OVA" discussion thread here. Please add you OVA discussions there. smile.gif

I see you posted the same question on Website collaboration thread also. It is answered here, so I took out that post. And, I will be moving this one here to Site Question thread later. If you get more questions about posting on our board, please post those on Site Question thread, and we'll try to help you with your questions there. smile.gif
jubily
Thank you very muck Tombow! You were a great help!
I'll check that section right away!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.