Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Walt Disney A Thief?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Movies, TV Shows, & Other Videos
Pages: 1, 2
Toby-Chan
No.

Ideas have been re-used, recirculated and stories retold since the beginning of language and cave paintings.
Chiyo
I think that all that needs to be said now is Disney have almost run out of ideas/folklore to steal. They are failing miserably.
Toby-Chan
And yet they have still managed to make some amazing films.

The Lion King is excellent, unoriginal or not.
Ailuro
I agree with Toby on this matter. You won't believe how many drawings I have created that are seemingly replicas of others that I've never seen before.
Chiyo
Someone educate me here...who made Madagascar and who made this new 'The Wild' (that it?)

And I like Disney's, just not beyond Atlantis (apart from Lilo and Stitch). C'mon, they made Bambi 2, why couldn't they leave it be?

Oh never mind, it tells me all I needed here
Toby-Chan
XD There've often been those pixar-dreamworks accusations.

However, Pixar doubtlessly creates some truly superior films. I don't know what's made by Pixar anymore, though. It all seems to just be 'disney computer animated'. Bastages.

Dreamworks has certainly done some awesome things of their own, Shrek for the obvious example. I also adore their "Prince of Egypt" to no end. It's one of the most artistic mainstream animated films I've seen.

Whether it's stolen in concept or not, The Lion King is still an amazingly produced animated film, with lots of original points going for it. The soundtrack, for one.

I'll go with Ailuro in saying i've often made up a plot point/character and then realize months later that it was identical to some obscure anime I'd never seen or heard of in my life. I guess it goes to show how predictable the medium is.
Chiyo
See from what I can gather Disney wouldn't dare tackle something like The Prince of Egypt as its a religious tale. Even if their stories have hidden meanings, they don't do blatant Biblical stories.

And yes even if Disney does take ideas, most of their stories are, they make them their own one way or another.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Chiyo @ May 6 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]391303[/snapback]

See from what I can gather Disney wouldn't dare tackle something like The Prince of Egypt as its a religious tale. Even if their stories have hidden meanings, they don't do blatant Biblical stories.

And yes even if Disney does take ideas, most of their stories are, they make them their own one way or another.

'Zactly.

I think the biblical thing is more of a matter of exercizing judicious diplomacy in their subject matter than anything else. Disney is a huge company with a very long legacy of being entertainment for just about everyone and they can't afford to estrange their very universal sense of appeal by writing for a religious audience.

And where's the outrage of fans with Miyazaki making Howl's Moving Castle, which was based on a book? Why aren't we peeved that Princess Mononoke is basically a rehash of his classic first film Nausicaa, which is so beloved in its original form by many. In my opinion, Mononoke improved on the theme, and Miyazaki does amazingly at making stories with an original, endearing style.

Disney does such, but in many many different voices. Ghibli is a much smaller studio, and thus while it is creative in storytelling, has a limited range of style. Disney, being a huge company employs many different artists and storytellers, some good, some bad, some amazing.

By the way- Walt Disney is most certainly not a theif for the Lion King. He died long before that film was produced.
Freeman_Alchemist
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ May 6 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]391356[/snapback]

QUOTE(Chiyo @ May 6 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]391303[/snapback]

'Zactly.

I think the biblical thing is more of a matter of exercizing judicious diplomacy in their subject matter than anything else. Disney is a huge company with a very long legacy of being entertainment for just about everyone and they can't afford to estrange their very universal sense of appeal by writing for a religious audience.

And where's the outrage of fans with Miyazaki making Howl's Moving Castle, which was based on a book? Why aren't we peeved that Princess Mononoke is basically a rehash of his classic first film Nausicaa, which is so beloved in its original form by many. In my opinion, Mononoke improved on the theme, and Miyazaki does amazingly at making stories with an original, endearing style.

Disney does such, but in many many different voices. Ghibli is a much smaller studio, and thus while it is creative in storytelling, has a limited range of style. Disney, being a huge company employs many different artists and storytellers, some good, some bad, some amazing.

By the way- Walt Disney is most certainly not a theif for the Lion King. He died long before that film was produced.

Nether The Less, The Disney Company Must Acknowledge That They Copied Osamu's Work.
I Loved The Lion King But, Whether Or Not It Was A Smash Hit, Dosen't Mean That Disney Is Not Responsible For What They Had Done.
Ailuro
QUOTE(Freeman_Alchemist @ May 6 2006, 02:43 PM) [snapback]391377[/snapback]

Nether The Less, The Disney Company Must Acknowledge That They Copied Osamu's Work.
I Loved The Lion King But, Whether Or Not It Was A Smash Hit, Dosen't Mean That Disney Is Not Responsible For What They Had Done.

There's no need to capitalize every single word. huh.gif
Popogeejo
I thought Walt was just a Rasist. Also shouldn't this thread be "Is Disney a Theif" becasue it's the company not the guy who's steaing people toug
asunder
QUOTE(popogeejo @ May 6 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]391389[/snapback]

I thought Walt was just a Rasist. Also shouldn't this thread be "Is Disney a Theif" becasue it's the company not the guy who's steaing people toug

Rasafrascal Ispi al a docious...

interesting now that all Ghibli movies will be shown in the US via Disney now.
Freeman_Alchemist
QUOTE(Ailuro @ May 6 2006, 06:03 PM) [snapback]391384[/snapback]

*imatates Dave Chappel Imatating Samual L. Jackson*
I Cant Help It! Its How I Talk!
Havn't You Seen My Movies?!
Juice? That Was A Good One!
Deep Blue Sea!
I Got Ate By A Shark!
A *bleep*ing Shark Ate Me!
Chiyo
How Very *Bleep*Ing Pointless
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Freeman_Alchemist @ May 7 2006, 08:32 PM) [snapback]391880[/snapback]

Deep Blue Sea!
I Got Ate By A Shark!

It's not how you God damn well mother [hugging] talk! Talking isn't typing!
Stop Doing This! It's Really Dumb.
Freeman_Alchemist
QUOTE(popogeejo @ May 8 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]392359[/snapback]

QUOTE(Freeman_Alchemist @ May 7 2006, 08:32 PM) [snapback]391880[/snapback]

Deep Blue Sea!
I Got Ate By A Shark!

It's not how you God damn well mother [hugging] talk! Talking isn't typing!
Stop Doing This! It's Really Dumb.

Boy Oh Boy
You Sure Know How To Make A Guy Feel Retarded! laugh.gif
asunder
QUOTE(Freeman_Alchemist @ May 8 2006, 04:08 PM) [snapback]392526[/snapback]

Boy Oh Boy
You Sure Know How To Make A Guy Feel Retarded! laugh.gif

It just makes me think you have obsessive compulsive disorder.
FREAK!
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Freeman Alchemist)
Boy Oh Boy
You Sure Know How To Make A Guy Feel Retarded!

Go with that feeling.
Fullmini Alchemist
Technically everything that Disney has done they haven't come up with themselves. All of their movies are based on fairy tales or another persons stories like Tarzan and Peter Pan. So why would the Lion King be any different. The only original movies they made were through Pixar.
Popogeejo
False. Bugs Life was based on the maginficent Seven which in turn was based on the Seven Samurai and Shrek was based on a Childrens book.
Toy Story and The Incredibles aren't exactly the most original ideas either.
Chiyo
Lilo and Stitch was pretty original...to my knowlwedge anyway.

Like I posted their new one looks like Madagascar but I suppose they would have been working on it before Madagascar came out.

Perhaps Disney need to promote themselves as 'story teller's' as they tell a tale that already exists.
Fullmini Alchemist
Shrek wasn't a Disney movie and I just ment that some, not all of their movies. Cars looks like it is a more original idea.
Ailuro
Since when is anything original these days? Every 'new' story is just a combination of many different clichés put together to make it seem original.
Popogeejo
It is true that new ideas are few and far between these days but Disney don't even try. I haven't seen anything vaugly original by them ever and I don't think we ever will.
Ice Blizzard
Walt disney is a thief, They either stole it from the person that actually made it up or took it from someones life and changed it.
For example, pocahontas was a true story, but she didnt fall in love with captain john, he took he on his boat and she died on the way back to spain
Chiyo
I thought she died in England of a cold? Hence why she is buried here somewhere.
Ice Blizzard
QUOTE(Chiyo @ May 11 2006, 07:00 PM) [snapback]393916[/snapback]

I thought she died in England of a cold? Hence why she is buried here somewhere.

Pocahontas died on the ship going to england,Walt disney made up a bunch of BS to cover up the original story
Popogeejo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocahontas
QUOTE(Wikipedia)
March 21, 1617) was a Native American woman who married an Englishman, John Rolfe, and became a celebrity in London toward the end of her short life.

Sorry Ice blizzard but you loose.
Chiyo
In March 1617 they set sail. It was soon apparent, however, that Pocahontas would not survive the voyage home. She was deathly ill from pneumonia or possibly tuberculosis. She was taken ashore, and, as she lay dying, she comforted her husband, saying, "All must die. Tis enough that the child liveth." She was buried in a churchyard in Gravesend, England.

Found that on a rather lovely website called www.findagrave.com
Fullmini Alchemist
They aren't really "stealing" ideas, they are just making movies out of stories and such, it is no different then someone making a movie based off a book.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.