Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Theory On Dante And Gluttony In Episode 51
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2
Full Flame Alchemist
This will only make sense if you have seen episode 51. Dante is not dead.
She is in the lift. Gluttony comes eats the floor and appears.She notices he is hungry as he comes towards her,she claps her hands to do Alchemy.
Then we see the lift open, it's empty.
Normally the screen goes black and we hear munching. This doesn't happen. They must have fallen down the hole where Dante killed Gluttony. If she died, there would have been proof. I bet she's in the movie.

<Because a large part of discussions on this thread are about FMA Anime episode 51, I'm moving this thread from FMA Character Discussion forum to FMA Anime American Audience sub-forum. And, editing the title of the thread from "Theory On Dante And Gluttony, It makes sense... really" to "Theory On Dante And Gluttony In episode 51" to be more specific. ^^ 02/19/07 ~Tombow>
Flame Alchemist 666
There is no proof that Gluttony is even dead. To kill a Homunculus, you need something from thier old body to paralyze them and then you need to kill them repeatedly untill the red stone in their body is gone unless uyou have the right transmutation circle which will begin to seal them and make them throw up the red stone, and since Dante did not have something from Gluttonys body or the transmutation circle, chances are that both Dante and Gluttony are alive. That is my theory.
Full Flame Alchemist
Yes, I bet you're right. But why did Dante try to use Alchemy?(When she clapped her hands)
Fresh_Coffee
To probably protect herself from the attack. I like to believe Dante is dead because I dislike like her. She wasn't even a cool villian. Well to me anyway. If Dante was alive though wouldn't she had another scheme to obtain "immortal life" it seems she hasn't done anything for 2 years.
Full Flame Alchemist
I hate her too but if there's no proof of her death she's probably alive.
Plus,how do you know she hasn't done anything for 2 years?
Fresh_Coffee
When Ed was on the train 2 years had past. If their world our world have the same time spam. That would mean that it has been 2 years passing in their world, judging from the glimpses of how everyone is doing I doubt Dante has done anything. Dante will eventually perish like Ed's dad because she dosen't has the stone and is decaying... chances are she's dead. Her body was decaying quickly she was only in Lyra's body for a short time when we saw her. She may be alive but I think she's dead.
Full Flame Alchemist
Okay.Okay. Maybe she's too weak to do anything or biding her time.
Flame Alchemist 666
QUOTE(Fresh_Coffee @ Jan 9 2005, 12:28 PM)
When Ed was on the train 2 years had past. If their world our world have the same time spam. That would mean that it has been 2 years passing in their world, judging from the glimpses of how everyone is doing I doubt Dante has done anything. Dante will eventually perish like Ed's dad because she dosen't has the stone and is decaying... chances are she's dead. Her body was decaying quickly she was only in Lyra's body for a short time when we saw her. She may be alive but I think she's dead.

Hmmm you could be right there but just because no one has heard anything about her doesnt mean that she is dead. Likethe full Flame Alchemist said maybe she is just biding her time which is probably alot more likely. Chances are she is alive and shes keeping herself unknown but to kill off the person that can control the homunculus that easily without even showing what happened to her is very unlikly. Wrath is deffiently alive and Gluttny maybe alive so Dante probably will be aswell and they will somehow be in the movie possibly.
Full Flame Alchemist
My point exactly.
Growler
ODnt forget that Dante has been controlling all the Homunculi for years

She knows what there weaknesses are and how to control them

I have to admit i was confused when the door opened but i reckon that the potential for a continuation is there BUT where did they go

Dont forget Dante can control Gluttony with alchemy on his tongue

Also she is to all inents and purposes immortal even tho her body is rotting and if she could could she take over Gluttony's body to save herself?

Think people think

What else could happen?
AliCat
QUOTE(Growler @ Jan 9 2005, 03:40 PM)
Dont forget Dante can control Gluttony with alchemy on his tongue

Also she is to all inents and purposes immortal even tho her body is rotting and if she could could she take over Gluttony's body to save herself?

While she can control Gluttony by the symbol on his tongue, she can't transfer her soul to his body without the Philosopher's Stone...can she? I don't think she can anyway blink.gif.

I, personally, think she's alive and biding her time. Of course, she doesn't have much time to bide, but she's probably laying low and trying to find how to make another stone with the remaining Homunculi. After the hell that broke lose before, it'd be stupid of her to allow herself to be seen causing trouble just from the sake that someone might stop her if they knew who she was.

Ok...who would stop her or even know who she really was is the new question. I might be stretching there but I think it'd be kind of dumb of her to be so brass to be seen out and about and making a new stone. My guess is she's working on it but laying low.

Now I've just cooked up another question though and maybe I missed something, but wasn't Dante's soul in that old lady before and sometime between when Ed and Al were there the first time and when they battled Greed Dante's soul was in Lyra's body? Or was that Dante the whole time? I...just confused myself...must go back and watch it again *snort* laugh.gif
I don't think she's alive but she could be alive though maybe the next time we see her , her face will be half rotting since she dosen't have the stone. 0_0 I would like to see that! Just because I hate her.

Now I've just cooked up another question though and maybe I missed something, but wasn't Dante's soul in that old lady before and sometime between when Ed and Al were there the first time and when they battled Greed Dante's soul was in Lyra's body? Or was that Dante the whole time? I...just confused myself...must go back and watch it again *snort* 

She first was in the old lady's body. As seen when Sloth had that flashback she was in that form. Then she used her last fragment of the stone to another body which happened to be Lyra. Did that help?
Fresh_Coffee
Sorry, for the double post but that was me above as guest I thought I was logged in.
AliCat
QUOTE(Guest @ Jan 9 2005, 05:10 PM)
She first was in the old lady's body. As seen when Sloth had that flashback she was in that form. Then she used her last fragment of the stone to another body which happened to be Lyra. Did that help?

Ah, yep, thanks Coffee wink.gif I must have missed that.
Full Flame Alchemist
I've just thought of something. What did Dante do to Gluttony when she grabbed his tounge? And how? I can't remember if that's explained.
Growler
QUOTE(Full Flame Alchemist @ Jan 10 2005, 09:59 AM)
I've just thought of something. What did Dante do to Gluttony when she grabbed his tounge? And how? I can't remember if that's explained.

She removed all feelings apart from Gluttony as Gluttony was upset that Lust was gone.

The only thing he had left was the need to eat ie Gluttony!!!!!!!!!!
Full Flame Alchemist
Oh!!! But was it her downfall or is she alive!!!
Growler
QUOTE(Full Flame Alchemist @ Jan 10 2005, 12:20 PM)
Oh!!! But was it her downfall or is she alive!!!

Now that is the million dollar question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Full Flame Alchemist
but all the info points to her being alive.
Oh, and how did Gluttony eat through the bottom of the lift if it was rising!
Growler
QUOTE(Full Flame Alchemist @ Jan 10 2005, 02:07 PM)

erm what info?

so far all i have seen is supposition

well he is very strong and he can eat anything so i imagine he held on and ate thru the floor
Fresh_Coffee
Well he can eat through anything or the whole could be caused by the attack
QUOTE(Full Flame Alchemist @ Jan 10 2005, 02:07 PM)

He was levitating.
Another 'hidden' power 'unrevealed'.
Full Flame Alchemist
Well, we did see Lust,Gluttony and Envy flying in the first opening so maybe all homonculus can fly(or levitate.)
armagedon46
QUOTE(Flame Alchemist 666 @ Jan 9 2005, 06:51 AM)
There is no proof that Gluttony is even dead. To kill a Homunculus, you need something from thier old body to paralyze them and then you need to kill them repeatedly untill the red stone in their body is gone unless uyou have the right transmutation circle which will begin to seal them and make them throw up the red stone, and since Dante did not have something from Gluttonys body or the transmutation circle, chances are that both Dante and Gluttony are alive. That is my theory.

When sloth was killed she was attached to wrath, but he had her bones inside of him, he was weakened. But Ed didn't use the orobouros seal to do it. He just transmutated her into ethanol. Maybe you don't need something from the failed attempt to weaken. He did transmutate her water arms into ice earlier on.
hitokiri
has anyone thought of the possiblity that neither are dead, but yet are not in the FMA world?

Dante is rather accomplished alchemist and she has do thorough research on the Gate. Now what if she open the Gate and sent them both through.. she never said that the baby was necessary, just that it makes the transmutation easier.
armagedon46
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Jan 20 2005, 01:47 PM)
has anyone thought of the possiblity that neither are dead, but yet are not in the FMA world?

Dante is rather accomplished alchemist and she has do thorough research on the Gate. Now what if she open the Gate and sent them both through.. she never said that the baby was necessary, just that it makes the transmutation easier.

But the thing is she has seen the gate, so she doesn't need a transmutation circle for ordinary alchemy. But there are certain alchemic reactions that you *need* a circle for it. I'm guessing the two types she uses for the baby are one you need. That and pretty much everywhere I look people speculate that you don't need that baby, just any baby for it to work. But you do need a baby.
The most obvious and correct answer is "Bones did it for just pure dramatism" but of course, everyone overlooks this to justify what they have floating in their minds dry.gif
Hikari no Hohenheim
Are you sure she used the last one? Maybe she still have some.
I guess she'll appear on the movie (damn, my winamp is suffle playing "Keiji" from the second OST :S).
brigadier mustang
theres way two many possibilities for us all to sit here guessing we'll just have to wait for the movie wink.gif
Full Flame Alchemist
Yup.
Daveman!
Anyone else notice what looks like a hole in the top of the elevator?

So Basically.. Bones wins.
kitsune911
nope i didnt see one and i just watched it five times to be sure and i now have a strong suspicion that she is alive.
Sin1588
The only thing I saw was a puddle in the lift, the kind of puddle that Homonculus leave after they died. So I assume Gluttony was killed at least.

If Dante does no appear in the movie, then I will think she was killed as well.
Full Flame Alchemist
puddle

blink.gif That was the hole that Gluttony made.
Ackman
i have a theory that seems kinda freaky.... but hey its anime! i think that dante transfered her soul into gluttony as a crazy last act seein as she was going to be devoured and was going to die soon cuz her body was decaying, she had noting to lose but her breasts and some hair laugh.gif
to add to that she had all the philosophers stone she needed....in gluttony seing as he just came from eating a whole bunch from alphonse and had some all on his own also.
Kaskas
QUOTE(Ackman @ Mar 24 2005, 06:23 PM)
i have a theory that seems kinda freaky.... but hey its anime! i think that dante transfered her soul into gluttony as a crazy last act seein as she was going to be devoured and was going to die soon cuz her body was decaying, she had noting to lose but her breasts and some hair  laugh.gif
to add to that she had all the philosophers stone she needed....in gluttony seing as he just came from eating a whole bunch from alphonse and had some all on his own also.
[snapback]138574[/snapback]

It may not be as freaky as you think, it's true that Gluttony has some philosofers stone, so dante could have preformed something with it, but ¿what?
vazel
i believe that the alchemy dante used when she realized gluttony was going to attack her destroyed both her and gluttony.
xyzknight
I, personally, think Dante IS dead, dosen't have to be because of Gluttony though- maybe they both fell from the elevator down,and i'll doubt she could alchemise something in the short time she was in the air (falling)
clothalchemist
I just finished watching the series and now I may have to rewatch that episode. I would like to think that Dante is dead of her own stupidy for taking away everything but Gluttony's gluttony cause I also don't like her. And the look on her face was priceless when she realized her predicament. But their ending was definitely left hanging and up for debate. Guess we can hope that someone will address it in some form.
Fate of Gluttony?

[spoiler]Just watched FMA: Reflections. It implies Gluttony is dead. ohmy.gif Whereas the show leaves it open as to his fate. blink.gif

The line is:
"Lust, Gluttony, and Pride are gone."
while showing a few seconds before their last scene.
[/spoiler]
on a related note, Sloth apparently is alive somewhere according to Reflections.

Gluttony dead ... Sloth alive ... i'm confused.
«°~Gluttony™~°»
QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 28 2005, 02:37 PM)
on a related note, Sloth apparently is alive somewhere according to Reflections.

Gluttony dead ... Sloth alive ... i'm confused.
[snapback]162525[/snapback]

no Gluttony isn't dead from what i seen,

I think Dante is dead, even thou it wasn't much of a fall, i don't think there was a way for her to be able to fix Gluttony's hunger, even thou there may be a slim chance she survived you never know

now as far as Sloth yeah I don't think she's dead either she was just turned into vapor

that can eventully be turned back into water given time

Gluttony - alive but think he's basically stuck down there

Envy - torn apart in the door

Greed - Killed in battle with ed

Sloth - Vaporised but not dead

Wrath/Loath* - Ed's arms taken away now has metal limbs like ed *= some strange reason i could never figure out what his name was cause i seen him being called both huh.gif

Lust - Sealed away by Wrath/Loath

President* - killed by The Flame Alchemist *= never got his Homunculus name for him huh.gif

ofcourse if i'm wrong in any of this do tell, i'm just an american viewer that seen all the japanese episodes
Edo-mame
All those who have not finished the anime series do not read any further, there will be no more warnings.(you shouldn't be in the movie's section if you didn't anyway tongue.gif)

We saw Gluttony lunge at Dante and Dante clap her hands, then we see an empty elavator with a hole that Gluttony made and what appears to be an exit on the roof of the elavator. Some of the possiblilitiess I've read about and considered are:

-Dante escaped by herself
-Gluttony ate Dante
-Dante killed Gluttony
-They both died, somehow
-They both got out of the elavator and disappeared somewhere

This is my own theory that I have come up with upon watching the ending again. Since Gluttony ate part of the Philospher's stone, he technically is/has a smaller fragment of the stone. Before he got turned into a mindless emobiment of gluttony he was ordered to eat Al because inside him the stone would be perfect (I assume that Dante meant that the stone would then be easier to use/better for carrying around?). So, what if Dante used him as part of the stone to transfer her soul into someone else? Now, unless rotten bodies can be fixed using the stone or she managed to "tame" Gluttony (which is higgly unlikely) so she could use him to transfer somewhere else,

Dante could have transfered her soul into Gluttony.

This is serious discussion so don't laugh(at my theory anyway happy.gif )! When alchemists touch Al as the Philospher's stone there is a chance of an unknown reaction, while Dante may not have intentionally transfered into Gluttony, it is a possiblility that she was trying to kill him but triggered an reaction that would cause that. So then Dante, to her horror, realized what had happened and melted the roof (or broke it or just plain opened it) with her newfound Gluttony powers and ran away to plot revenge and hide her new face. (Now you can laugh)

Now, how likely/possible is this or a should I cut back on crack?
The reflections tv special implies Gluttony is dead so, it could mean Dante killed him or the body swap version.
Omakase Shimasu
laugh.gif The mental image sure cracked me up. Seriously, it isn't an unlikely theory... Personally, I went with the "Gluttony ate Dante" one, but considering Guest's reply...

Moving topic to Character Discussion, by the way. smile.gif
Toby-Chan
Or, it is possible she may have sent gluttony to the gate, and traveled through it herself to stalk Edo and Hoho-Papa in munich.
Omakase Shimasu
Scary thought, that... Especially if it'll result in both Lyla versions banding together to stalk the Elric males and eventually make them theirs...

Suddenly EdxRose doesn't seem like a bad alternative, does it? tongue.gif j/k
Slashrose1010
lol, I would like Dante to be in Gluttony's body. That would be the funnest since girls are usually weight conscious and Gluttony is well... you know wink.gif That seems like a show that would air on E! or HBO laugh.gif
Electrastar
I didn't have any theories at all, so to me, it makes a lot of sense that Dante hitched a ride in Glutonny's body. I mean, after switching from human body to human body for hundred of years, maybe she tried out a homonculus body to see if it would decay at the same rate as a human body would...
Slashrose1010
If she took a humonculus' body, she wouldn't decay at all. Humonculi's bodies can regenerate and live forever as long as they have red stones in them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.