Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have You Heard Anybody Pronounce Anime Title, Character Names, Etc. Wrong?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime
Pages: 1, 2
animejunkie429800
i've heard the wierdest pronounciations ever 'cus my nickname is animejunkie. there's too much to list! just e-mail me if ur wondering.

sry! i'm new to polls ^0^;
Elderberry
...I think you messed up the poll a little...mellow.gif||

But yes, I hear mispronounciations all the time, and I tend to make a fuss over the proper pronounciations of names and such. sleep.gif It just...hurts my ears to hear them pronounced wrong...
animejunkie429800
yes, i suk! V.Vl l l *sigh* well, one of the most popular pronounciations is aEme... ^^;;; yes it suks.
mongooseboi
heh you probably should've make a no option. and no you dont suck animejunkie! everyone learns. to be honest, i dont make new topics because i dont know how to work the polls either *grin*
xrninja
i guess the "american" way of pronouncing it is "an-ih-may," the "an" rhyming with "fan," the "ih" pronounced like the "i" in "pissed," and "may" like the month. like "animation" with out the "-tion" sound. technically, it's wrong, but it seems to be pretty widely accepted as a pronounciation of the word, since that's what i hear the most.

i tried editing the polls a little, hopefully i got it somewhat like you originally wanted? biggrin.gif;;
Bling_bling_Angel
I've heard this one:

"Aye-nee-may"
Quistis88
I hate it when people make it plural by adding an S.

"animes"

Bah.
Bling_bling_Angel
XD!

Typical... sooo typical...
Toby-Chan
Well, the common convention is to pronounce it as "Anime", like "Animation" without the "Shun", and while that dosen't stick to the japanese katakana-ation of the word, it works well enough, since Anime is a borrow word in the first place.

Here's what bugs me; "Main-Gahs!"

dry.gif
Jen_Elric
Toby-chan, I agree with you on the manga things. I would say it correctly, and people would be like "What's that?". I would say, "They're Japanese comics", and they'll be like, "Oh! 'Main-gahs!'". Kinda makes my skin crawl.
Ronaldo Rodregez
I don't really care if they do, but I hate people who'll spell anime with an accented "e."
Fresh_Coffee
I'm not sure if I'm saying Anime wrong. @_@ I would you say Anime in japanese?
Zarpia
I don't know if the way that i say it is correct coz i have 2 ways, but i have heard another but i just don't remember it now
NightMistress
I call it "anime" (like "animation" minus the "tion") like your typical american. I've heard "ann-may" before which is strange. For manga, I've heard people pronounce the first "a" like mango (the fruit). They've also mixed it up and called it maGNa which is just totally wrong. I pronounce the "man" like the "man" in Jumanji.
Prinz_Zoisit
yes.... i always use the "wrong pronounciation" until now.... since i'm 8 years old!^^

this is how i pronounce it, although i know it's wrong^^;;

it's emphasis sounds very german(on the second sillable)....
mongooseboi
hhaha not to seem mean but i thought you said amino (like amino acids) at first. only quest i have is whether to stress the first a or second a in manga. not really sure which one is right.
NightMistress
I pronounce it like my friend does who studied in Japan a couple years. The stress when we say it is on the first a.
Fresh_Coffee
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Jun 2 2005, 01:16 AM)
yes.... i always use the "wrong pronounciation" until now.... since i'm 8 years old!^^

[snapback]183991[/snapback]

smile.gif we need to hear the proper pronounciation so I can fix myself :3 and hear Prinz voice which is soothing.
AlphonseRules
My mom pronounces anime "Anie May". Like it's someone's name or something.
BellatrixAngelofKyo
LOL I have to correct peoples pronounciation of both anime and Manga very frequently, especially certain friends of mine who seem to delight in creating new and more odd-ball ways to pronounce it. It's rather amusing how people can come up with so many varient ways of pronouncing one word though, if you think about it! But then again, it is pretty easy to mispronounce! laugh.gif
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Jun 2 2005, 12:16 AM)

wow,you must be so little to only be 8,you are too young to be watching fullmetal alchemist and to be seeing blood or violence,someone should teach you a lesson.
you must be such an unproper child and should be watching something more
like toonami rather than seeing anything unapropriate for children.i think you
should not be watching anything tv pg and up.everybody here is probably older than you so go to another forum or something.though it's really your choice
don't take this too seriously little kid,it's just a reccomendation or something dry.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 2 2005, 06:20 PM)
wow,you must be so little to only be 8,you are too young to be watching fullmetal alchemist and to be seeing blood or violence,someone should teach you a lesson.
should not be watching anything tv pg and up.everybody here is probably older than you so go to another forum or something.though it's really your choice
don't take this too seriously little kid,it's just a reccomendation or something dry.gif
[snapback]184354[/snapback]

Dear Guest,

Shut up! You are not funny and from they way you type you are the one who is probably eight years old.

Love,
Me
AlphonseRules
QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 2 2005, 09:20 PM)

What are you the kids mom or something? Who says Prinz even watches any violent anime anyway? Just cause he is on this sight does not mean he watches FMA. You should mind your own business and let the kid do what he wants. It's not like this is some Adult site or anything.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I'm almost positive that Prinz is way over the age of eight. If he's not than he's the smartest 8yo I've ever seen. tongue.gif
Elderberry
*Looks at Prinz-san*

...You are so not eight years old...You've been older than me for as long as I can remember. biggrin.gif
Prinz_Zoisit
*looks at Elderberry*
*sigh* -________________-
BellatrixAngelofKyo

I know I really shouldn't be interjecting here, since I'm hardly ever on this thread, but that was such a rude thing to say! I'm a newb, and even I thought that was rediculous! Don't you have any thing better to do then to give unwanted advice? I really don't think Prinz Zoisit needs a lecture in the first place, plus it's absolutely not your buisness! Please restrain your self from making such unproductive and inappropriate coments that are completely uncalled for.

To Prinz_Zoisit: I totally agree with Envy's lil' miniskirt. You don't seem 8 at all. laugh.gif
QUOTE(BellatrixAngelofKyo @ Jun 3 2005, 02:33 PM)

I know I really shouldn't be interjecting here, since I'm hardly ever on this thread, but that was such a rude thing to say! I'm a newb, and even I thought that was rediculous! Don't you have any thing better to do then to give unwanted advice? I really don't think Prinz Zoisit needs a lecture in the first place, plus it's absolutely not your buisness! Please restrain your self from making such unproductive and inappropriate coments that are completely uncalled for.

To Prinz_Zoisit: I totally agree with Envy's lil' miniskirt. You don't seem 8 at all. laugh.gif
[snapback]184770[/snapback]

chill down,you don't need to fuss so much,i got a bit out of hand but i wasn't trying to be rude or anything,sorry prince zoist,i wasn't trying to act syupid or anything,
i was just shocked to learn you were only eight and i thiught that of a very odd idea that you were only eight, sad.gif look,i am just very immature and have bad judgement,that was off topic,i hope i don't blurt out something stupid again,
you all know i wasn't trying to be mean or anything,i let myself go here, but it looks like my response to prince zoist was a bit rude and stupid. sad.gif don't get too stubborn to my responce,i was never angry at you,i will leave this forum because i do not want to but in into your conversation,sorry laugh.gif
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jun 2 2005, 07:04 PM)

Dear Guest,

Shut up! You are not funny and from they way you type you are the one who is probably eight years old.

Love,
Me
[snapback]184389[/snapback]

you do not need to answer me, i get the point here already,
it's not like i wanted the kid to to it,i got too out of hand,sorry for the troubles
i have caused you all, sad.gif my advise is stupid,as i told you all,i was shocked to
learn that prinz zoist was eight,if he is he must be a genius eight year old
kid and should pass college by the age of like ten or something
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jun 2 2005, 07:04 PM)

Dear Guest,

Love,
Me
[snapback]184389[/snapback]

i am not eight, i am fourteen
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Jun 3 2005, 07:15 AM)
*looks at Elderberry*
*sigh* -________________-
[snapback]184566[/snapback]

sorry about that,let's just forget about what happened,
i am not the boss of you,i look so ridiculous doing that
and you people can just do what you want,no
offense or anything for my stupid reply,you are
a talented writer and i could of sworn you were at least eighteen sad.gif

QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ Jun 2 2005, 10:16 PM)

What are you the kids mom or something? Who says Prinz even watches any violent anime anyway? Just cause he is on this sight does not mean he watches FMA. You should mind your own business and let the kid do what he wants. It's not like this is some Adult site or anything.
[snapback]184478[/snapback]

sorry, i am an insensitive jerk,everybody please stop answering me,i promise you
all i will leave this forum immedeately after this,i feel so ashamed to be so rude to you prinz zoist,i wish there was a way to repay the agony and pain in your heart,
( no, i am not kidding)

i feel the sorrow of what i have done,i am too immature and insensitive,
i have horrible language and bad typing skills,so you guys can
go ahead and butt it in how i was insensitive,i was not trying
to hurt your feelings prinz zoist, sad.gif i interrupted your conversation
Luckyalchemy27
OH MY GOD, my dad does that all the time! The first time he said it I gave him a WTF look and said, "Dad. It's 'an-i-may'." Now he does it constantly. He knows it's wrong...he does it just to annoy me....
Fresh_Coffee
Sorry, this had to be said, SHUT UP stop replying to yourself 4 times. Frick nobody cares anymore. Over done with. BLAH

Prinz: Could you make another file with the correct way to say anime? *is using this as an excuse to hear Prinz' voice*
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Fresh_Coffee @ Jun 4 2005, 06:15 PM)
Sorry, this had to be said, SHUT UP  stop replying to yourself 4 times. Frick nobody cares anymore. Over done with. BLAH
[snapback]185470[/snapback]

I like how he had to reply to me three times. Just wanted to make sure I knew I guess. laugh.gif
Toby-Chan
Mini is so popular with the mens. laugh.gif

He just wanted your attention.
Fresh_Coffee
Mini is grabbing them when they are young. biggrin.gif
animejunkie429800
*looks at previous posts*

OFFFFFFFFFFFFFF TOPIC PPLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! j/k

this isn't sc u know.

here's the latest one: AE ne mee
Askari_0
my mom writes it anemae
the sellout
Yeah, and I might correct them if I know them well enough.

A really random observation but just last week I was watching C-SPAN (more like listening - I had it on the background while I was typing an essay) and George W. Bush was giving a press conference (what a miracle!). I wasn't really paying attention that much attention because, frankly, is the same rubbish all the time. But then, out of nowhere, I heard him say "The anime wants to destroy our nation" or something dramatic like that and, of course, I turned around instantly. Of course, he actually was saying "enemy," but the way he pronounced it make it sound differently.

Random, I know.
akari-chan
Yes, I have heard of it a couple of times. Like when they say "manga." they pronnounce it as "main-ga." Then there was this one time where this boy i my class, when he said "Negima," he pronnounced the g the same way you pronnounce it in the word "gel." so in other words, he pronnounce it as "Nejima."
The RZA
my friends and fam say "Annie mae"
gseed
I've never heard anyone pronunce Anime wrong but it pisses me off sooo much when people pronunce Manga - Monga(wrong) GRRRRR! mad.gif
Sirya
acctually.. I really don't know which is the right pronounciation... I've seen many arguing about it.

I think it also depends on where you live.. I say it in 2 ways; "Animay" and "Anime" (the 'e' is pronounced like in 'dea r') the latter is a refined form in my language tongue.gif

haven't heard many say it (there aren't many fans where I live so) so can't say if it's wrong or right, since those I know pronounce it as "Animay"
The RZA
i use to call manga, magna until i looked as saw how to pronounce it right
ed_2k5_2005
lol yah i have but i forget who said it and why. it's not that hard to pernonce eather lol "ANIME!" and i used to call manga magna too and my griend told me other wise
-Hikari-
Actually, I've only heard it pronounced wrong once. Hehe, it was actually me who pronounced it wrong. It was the first time I'd ever seen the word 'anime' actually spelled out and everything. So I said it as 'ah-nime' with a long 'i'. I never really heard the end of it from my dad. happy.gif ;;
fooly cooly pillows
yeah me and my friend said it worng for a very long time we said how it looked and we said manga wrong to
aprilleon
Yes, I have heard of it a couple of times. I've never heard anyone pronounce Anime wrong, I will really them them on how to pronounce it..

regards,
april

kazare
Uh. . . once I opened a topic to my innocent friends and they pronounce Anime as e-ne-me or A - ni -mei . . . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.