Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F M A Trading Card Came
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Game > FMA Trading Card Game
GamePlayer
Has anyone heard about this game, what it will be like, I heard that it will be demoed next month at Anime Expo in Anaheim but I'm curious to why no one has been talking about it.

www.fma-tcg.com

GamePlayer
Omakase Shimasu
Never heard of this before, but sure looks like fun. smile.gif Wonder what the game'll be like though.

Moving, by the way -->
GamePlayer
I've been following the game, cause I'm a junkie like that, and read up that the game allows you to play with a team of characters in search for the Philospher's Stone. It looks to be out in America sometime during the summer and looks to have a fairly decent diffuculty level. Looks good. I'll post anything else I find out about it, but one question to the fans out there, would anyone else be willing to play this game? I'm all for playing good card games but when no one else plays I just have a card collection...

GamePlayer
Omakase Shimasu
This all sounds very interesting and quite original. Mind you, I don't have that much experience concerning card games. ^^;; Still, I'd like to give it a shot once/if I'm able to get my hands on them.

But I guess I'm not much help considering I come from the Netherlands. tongue.gif
GamePlayer
I'm sure someone will have a downloadable version of some demo decks for the game. It looks like fun from what I've seen and I hope they do a good job. Maybe FMA doesn't seem as much as a fighting game as say Dragonball Z or Naruto could be, but I wouldn't mind seeing Eds Sensi fighting say Envy or Gluttony, you get to recreate battles and play with your favorite characters =)
Kyo_Umerio
QUOTE(GamePlayer @ May 31 2005, 02:01 PM)
Has anyone heard about this game, what it will be like, I heard that it will be demoed next month at Anime Expo in Anaheim but I'm curious to why no one has been talking about it. 

www.fma-tcg.com

GamePlayer
[snapback]182963[/snapback]

i've known about it for a while, i cant wait for it to come out here happy.gif
Fullmetal Fangirl
I cant beleive that jap shop around the corner doesnt SELL THEM! i mean, they're comin' out in USA so why not Australia! Nuuuu! *kick*
GamePlayer
I'm glad to see some people are looking into this. Fullmetal Fangirl, don't worry that the shop around the corner is not selling them, they are not being sold in America yet either, they release in August 2005. Now that there is a somewhat of an interest here I can post anything I find, yay. Previous attempts at trying to get a discussion going have ended in failure. I'll definatley post some card images by latest July as the demo decks should have some of the pictures and what not.

GamePlayer
Omakase Shimasu
Screenshots would be awesome. smile.gif

One question about the concept of the game though... It's actually your average cardgame (like Yu-Gi-Oh!) but instead of a one-on-one you can - say -... do a four-on-four? Or is it something along the lines of one-on-one gameplay, but you're allowed to play [this many] characters? Just trying to clear things up for myself. biggrin.gif I'm dense like that.

I hope Frank Archer will be available as a playable character as well. He's great.
GamePlayer
Oh a question I can answer, after bugging the people at Joyride, they finally got back to me. Okay the game can be played multiplayer but I don't think it can be played formally 4vs4 unless you make your own individual alliances and what not. The game looks to be designed mainly for 1v1 but allows multiple players to play if you wanna have a circle of friends to play the some alchemy... was trying to go for a pun there but I don't think it quite worked... also, tournaments will be allowed world wide so if you can get your hands on the cards you can play them. As of right now I know the game will be printed in English at the very least, obvious conclusion there, but I don't know about other languages. I'll try to get more info out to you guys as it develops and I hope to see some people at AX this year.

GamePlayer
JasonWinter
I guess this is my cue to chime in...

First off, let me introduce myself. I'm Jason Winter, and I'm the new Community Coordinator for the Fullmetal Alchemist TCG. Which basically means that I'll be doing lots of communicating with fans, media, and whoever else wants to know things.

As for the game itself, it is a trading card game, like Yu-Gi-Oh!, Magic: The Gathering, and the like. But that's about all I can tell you at this time tongue.gif We'll put more details up on our web site (www.fma-tcg.com) in advance of the game's release in August. In fact, I've been working on a number of press releases and other info that should hit next week, so stay tuned...

We'll have forums up on our own site before too long, but if the moderators want to start up their own board here -- well, I won't complain wink.gif

Thanks for your interest, and I hope I can be of service!

Jason Winter
Community Coordinator
Fullmetal Alchemist Trading Card Game
jlwinter@rc2corp.com / (704) 942-3078
GamePlayer
OH we got someone who knows stuff... time to bombard him with questions... how many cards will the game have, first set anyways, will all the characters from the show be in the first set? Do you like the Game? and most importantly, do you like the Anime?

GamePlayer
Omakase Shimasu
biggrin.gif Welcome to the boards, Mr. Winter, it's a pleasure meeting you.

Well, I had some questions of my own, but I guess I'll have to await my turn. tongue.gif
JasonWinter
QUOTE(GamePlayer @ Jun 2 2005, 01:36 PM)
OH we got someone who knows stuff... time to bombard him with questions... how many cards will the game have, first set anyways, will all the characters from the show be in the first set?  Do you like the Game?  and most importantly, do you like the Anime?

GamePlayer
[snapback]184100[/snapback]

There will be somewhere between 200-300 cards in the initial set.

The first set won't cover everything, only the first few episodes.

Of course, I like the game. They wouldn't let me work here otherwise!

Haven't seen the entire series yet, but I like what I have seen, and I've been cramming as much as I can. It's nice to be able to watch cartoons at work smile.gif
Fullmetal Fangirl
Lol no...its not like Yugioh...i think...

the only reason i want them is for the kool pictures of the characters on the cards! smexy cards!
JasonWinter
QUOTE(Fullmetal Fangirl @ Jun 4 2005, 04:34 AM)
Lol no...its not like Yugioh...i think...

the only reason i want them is for the kool pictures of the characters on the cards! smexy cards!
[snapback]185036[/snapback]

After seeing nothing but playtest cards for weeks (which are just text and numbers in boxes), I got to see the art and design for real cards last week and said, "Wow, those look great!"

Then they showed me some promo cards this morning. mad.gif I have to wait two more months to get my hands on these for real?

Oh, and Omakase, go ahead with any of those questions you might have had smile.gif

And no, it's not like Yu-Gi-Oh!, except that they're both trading card games. After all, Monopoly is nothing like Candyland, even though both are board games...
Omakase Shimasu
I know it might be a bit too early for this question, but are there any chances of the game being released in Europe, specifically the Netherlands? biggrin.gif

And again about the gameplay... What difficulty rating would it be given? From 1 to 5, 5 being way out of my league? (I tried the Dragonball Z tcg once, but I failed horribly - that's saying something)

And how did you end up working on this game? smile.gif Were you invited to join the ride or...?
JasonWinter
QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Jun 6 2005, 02:30 PM)
I know it might be a bit too early for this question, but are there any chances of the game being released in Europe, specifically the Netherlands? biggrin.gif

And again about the gameplay... What difficulty rating would it be given? From 1 to 5, 5 being way out of my league? (I tried the Dragonball Z tcg once, but I failed horribly - that's saying something)

And how did you end up working on this game? smile.gif Were you invited to join the ride or...?
[snapback]186357[/snapback]

As of now, the only European country we'll be in is the UK. But we're working on getting a more general European license.

I'd say gameplay is a 2 or 3. By comparison, I had to take the DBZ rules very, very slowly when I learned the game. For this game, I had an early draft of the rules and understood most of it (and have since rewritten most of it smile.gif

And as for me...well, you can read the press release here, but the short version is that I've worked in the card game industry for nine years, recently left my job with the CCG magazine Scrye, and met up with the JoyRide guys at GAMA Trade Show in March and the offered me the job a few days later. I'm also 31, unmarried, Aquarius...oh, wait, that's probably too much ohmy.gif

Oh, and do you want to see a card? Looky here!
GamePlayer
Well I finally found something good to post.

http://www.fma-tcg.com/

so what do you think? Still waiting for a picture of Hawkeye or Winry, but this will do. smile.gif

GamePlayer
Maes-Hughes
a tcg would be pretty kool BUT all anime trading card games (except for yu-gi-oh) have all turned out pretty bad from my point of view
GamePlayer
Normally it is pretty hard to create a card game based on an Anime that stays true to the anime. We have grown to love a lot of these characters and each have our own opinion of who would win in a fight, whether it be Al vs Ed or Naruto vs Sauske ( I know shameless Naruto plug but hey ) The only card game that has stayed true to the show is of course Yu-Gi-Oh which is just a 22 minute commerical for the card game anyways.

I'm just looking for a game where I can have fun and play with my favorite characters. It looks like you can only tell once the game is released. FMA has been an older audience Anime with deeper ideas and thoughts. Hopefully the game reflects that and shows some strategy. And if not that, hopefully they cards all just look as cool so its fun to collect.

Gameplayer
Fullmetal Fangirl
There was a translated site from Jap to Eng with ALL the info on cards...but...i cant FIND it!!! NOOOOOO!!! *screams*

It must be somewhere in this Fullmetal Alchemist Game section of the forum somewhere, just gotta flip back the pages!

Normally it is pretty hard to create a card game based on an Anime that stays true to the anime. We have grown to love a lot of these characters and each have our own opinion of who would win in a fight, whether it be Al vs Ed or Naruto vs Sauske ( I know shameless Naruto plug but hey ) The only card game that has stayed true to the show is of course Yu-Gi-Oh which is just a 22 minute commerical for the card game anyways.

I'm just looking for a game where I can have fun and play with my favorite characters. It looks like you can only tell once the game is released. FMA has been an older audience Anime with deeper ideas and thoughts. Hopefully the game reflects that and shows some strategy. And if not that, hopefully they cards all just look as cool so its fun to collect.

Gameplayer

Ok...I was...just about to say that happy.gif"
QUOTE(Fullmetal Fangirl @ Jun 7 2005, 01:12 AM)
There was a translated site from Jap to Eng with ALL the info on cards...but...i cant FIND it!!! NOOOOOO!!! *screams*

Our game isn't the same as the Japanese one, FYI.
JasonWinter
Oops, guess I wasn't logged in for that last post. That is me, up there.
Omakase Shimasu
First of all, thanks for the answering session! smile.gif I'm glad to hear about the European license, but I guess as long as it's in the UK, I'm also fine with it. Since it's easier on the shipping rate and my wallet. tongue.gif

Nine years. Wow. To add to my question, did you have this line of work (TCG) in mind when you graduated?

And the image in that card isn't taken from the original footage nor any official posters, right? I was under the impression this card game wasn't the same as the Japanese one, but I forgot to verify. biggrin.gif;; But if that's the case, kudos for a job very well done. The designs look very authentic. biggrin.gif (And the text isn't very hard to comprehend either tongue.gif)

QUOTE(JasonWinter @ June 8 @ 06:57 PM)
I'm also 31, unmarried, Aquarius...oh, wait, that's probably too much ohmy.gif

laugh.gif To be fair, I'm 19, single and a Pisces. Unemployed to booth. What I wouldn't do to be able to "watch cartoons during work" though.
Fullmetal Fangirl
QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 7 2005, 10:36 PM)

[snapback]186706[/snapback]

Well actually, i think it is, the Yanks just take them and translate them...duh...*stares at j00*
JasonWinter
QUOTE(Fullmetal Fangirl @ Jun 8 2005, 05:23 AM)
QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 7 2005, 10:36 PM)

[snapback]186706[/snapback]

Well actually, i think it is, the Yanks just take them and translate them...duh...*stares at j00*
[snapback]187420[/snapback]

That is how some games, like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, come to America, but that's more a case of the company that makes the CCG in Japan licensing the CCG to an American company.

In our case, we dealt direct with Square/Enix, the makers of the FMA property (though they might make the CCG in Japan -- not sure of that) and created an original game. It's our own design, completely independent from the Japanese version.

Hope that clears up any confusion!

QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Jun 7 2005, 06:39 PM)
First of all, thanks for the answering session! smile.gif I'm glad to hear about the European license, but I guess as long as it's in the UK, I'm also fine with it. Since it's easier on the shipping rate and my wallet. tongue.gif

Nine years. Wow. To add to my question, did you have this line of work (TCG) in mind when you graduated?

And the image in that card isn't taken from the original footage nor any official posters, right? I was under the impression this card game wasn't the same as the Japanese one, but I forgot to verify. biggrin.gif;; But if that's the case, kudos for a job very well done. The designs look very authentic. biggrin.gif (And the text isn't very hard to comprehend either tongue.gif)

QUOTE(JasonWinter @ June 8 @ 06:57 PM)
I'm also 31, unmarried, Aquarius...oh, wait, that's probably too much ohmy.gif

laugh.gif To be fair, I'm 19, single and a Pisces. Unemployed to booth. What I wouldn't do to be able to "watch cartoons during work" though.
[snapback]186987[/snapback]

Yes, every image on the cards comes from the series. I don't know the episodes inside and out, but I think the one on the Ed Elric card is from the first episode (or early in the second?), during his fight with Cornello.

My greatly compressed origin story is that I went to Gen Con (the big gaming convention over here) during my last two years of college, bugged a company there enough that they hired me a few months out of college, and have been riding the wave ever since! So, yeah, I sort of had it on my mind when I graduated.

With good luck, maybe someday you can watch cartoons at work, too smile.gif

Wow, did I answer everyone's questions already? Guess I can take a nap, then...
GamePlayer
Jason, what have you done to make sure this game is worth playing. Although there are a lot of Anime based games that were fun to play, it doesn't seem like many of them pick up as well as they should. .Hack, Inu Yasha, are two games that I've heard of that were decent, well maybe just .hack//Enemy, but didn't pick up. Another thing, what have you done to make sure this just doesn't become the next Yu-Gi-Oh/Pokemon. I love the fact that the games are still around, I just wanna make sure that I don't have to spend $100 on a stupid card just because every kid out there wants <<Insert a card name you already though of here>> because they saw it on TV.

GamePlayer
JasonWinter
QUOTE(GamePlayer @ Jun 14 2005, 01:20 PM)
Jason, what have you done to make sure this game is worth playing.  Although there are a lot of Anime based games that were fun to play, it doesn't seem like many of them pick up as well as they should.  .Hack, Inu Yasha, are two games that I've heard of that were decent, well maybe just .hack//Enemy, but didn't pick up.  Another thing, what have you done to make sure this just doesn't become the next Yu-Gi-Oh/Pokemon.  I love the fact that the games are still around, I just wanna make sure that I don't have to spend $100 on a stupid card just because every kid out there wants <<Insert a card name you already though of here>> because they saw it on TV.

GamePlayer
[snapback]191965[/snapback]

"What have you done to make sure this game is worth playing?"

Wow, that's a loaded question smile.gif Of course, we think we've made a fun and engaging game for both fans of FMA and card games. But that's marketingspeak that I'm sure you've heard before. Personally, I'm excited because I haven't found a CCG in some time that I could really get into. We just got demo decks in the office the other day, and I'm dying to put my own deck together (and see some of the nifty alternate-art cards that I've seen files of).

As for your second comment, about "the next Yu-Gi-Oh/Pokemon," I'm not sure what you mean. Our translucent plastic cards will go for quite a bit, but they'll have versions in the regular card mix that are identical, gameplay-wise. As for cards being popular because they're on the show -- well, that's kind of the point. We print cards people want to see tongue.gif
JasonWinter
Looks like we've got our own board now!

http://www.fullmetal-alchemist.com:81/foru...hp?showforum=29
GamePlayer
For those of you who were not fortunate to go to AX or Origins over the weekend, you may now by your con exclusive cards on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

And no I am not the seller... I got my card signed by Vic, the voice actor for the American versioni of FMA.

Gameplayer
JasonWinter
QUOTE(GamePlayer @ Jul 5 2005, 04:18 PM)
For those of you who were not fortunate to go to AX or Origins over the weekend, you may now by your con exclusive cards on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

And no I am not the seller... I got my card signed by Vic, the voice actor for the American versioni of FMA.

Gameplayer
[snapback]206349[/snapback]

It couldn't have been you, anyway, that's one of the ones from Origins smile.gif
YamiJoey
Really loving this game. Seriously amazing.

Just downloaded all the rules/checklists so I can have a proper look. Some of the cards are really awesome (Greed, Carefree Sin in Chase is amazing)

YJ
Jato
I just got a deck, its so awsome. Fortunately in the town where I live ther are FMA lovers. Here I come. Bradly and Mustang are good cards.
Le Monkey
I had 2 decks and a variety of other cards I liked the look of on ebay.. but I cant remember where I left them. Oo
I think I left them at someones house.. Meh.. I never EVER got to play a game, laugh.gif
RobOrus_DemonAlchemist
thers hardly any FMA fans where i live, so the only person i hav to play aginst is my sis(and she sucks) and i hav to go like almost an hour awy to buy them, because they dont sell them here and my dang parents wont let me buy them online.
czamora
<Merged "Fullmetal Alchemist Tcg Available Now At Trade Cards Online, Trade, buy and sell Fullmetal Alchemist cards, and play online!" thread with 2 posts. /4/22/07 ~Tombow>

Hi there,

Fullmetal Alchemist TCG has finally been added to Trade Cards Online (link in my sig) the premier trading site for Trading Card Games.
All you need to trade the cards, maintain your collection, get help from the community, and even play the game online, is available at this site.
Just check it out. It's free.

Click to view attachment
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u198/cz...ne-Game-big.jpg

<Edited to switch posting of the oversize pic from Image posting to Attachment, since the automatic resizing of the pic makes it hard to see fine details. Also, moved the site link to inside the signature space. ^^ 04/22/07 ~Tomvow>
Tombow
@czamora - Welcome to the board!!

I'll be moving this to FMA Trading Card Game sub-forum later. biggrin.gif

ETA: Moved the "Fullmetal Alchemist Tcg Available Now At Trade Cards Online, Trade, buy and sell Fullmetal Alchemist cards, and play online!" thread with 2 posts from General Game forum to FMA Game forum, and merged to "FMA Trading Card Game thread. Also notified the thread author of the change.
czamora
QUOTE(RobOrus_DemonAlchemist @ Dec 30 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]489532[/snapback]
thers hardly any FMA fans where i live, so the only person i hav to play aginst is my sis(and she sucks) and i hav to go like almost an hour awy to buy them, because they dont sell them here and my dang parents wont let me buy them online.

Well, now you have the chance to play it online at Trade Cards Online and not having to move from your home!
Then I'm sure you'll get hooked and we'll be seeing you at the tournaments... smile.gif
Soctar
The game has offically ended production. dry.gif mad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
Disco Shrew
Why has it ended production??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.