Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Samurai Champloo
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AlphonseRules
Samurai Champloo (サムライチャンプルー Samurai Chanpurū?) is a Japanese animated television series consisting of twenty-six episodes. It was broadcast in Japan from May 20, 2004, through March 19, 2005, on the television network, Fuji TV. Samurai Champloo was created and directed by Shinichirō Watanabe, whose previous work, Cowboy Bebop, earned him renown in the anime and Japanese television communities. The show was produced by studio Manglobe.
(Source - Wiki)

List of Characters

Plot Summary: Mugen is a fierce animal-like warrior with a unique Bboying (break-dance) inspired fighting style. Jin has a more traditional style but don’t think of this as a weakness because his skills are amazing. The two contrasting samurai warriors are far from friends, yet their separate paths seem to cross anyways. Mugen is wandering aimlessly through the city when he stumbles upon a teahouse where he meets Jin and Fuu (A ditzy waitress, but don‘t think she doesn‘t have anything hidden up her sleeves). Fuu convinces them both to come with her in search of a mysterious samurai that smells like sunflowers and their journey begins. This modernized hip-hop tale breaks the barriers of the common, historical, samurai anime.

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama
Themes: historical, samurai
Episodes: 36
Age Rating: Mature
(Source - ANN)

--------

I just saw the first episode tonight on Adult Swim. It was really different with all the modern music in an old time show. I really liked all the action but I hope that all the episodes are not mostly fighting like this one. The show seems good and I can't wait till the story gets going.
xrninja
has anyone who's seen the sub/raw champloo watched tonight's dub episode? all i know is that spike's VA is playing mugen, which i can't say i didn't expect. dry.gif i'm just curious to see how the voices match up, as i currently can't bring myself to watch the dub. sleep.gif
Zarpia
I miss it *cries*, but i hope i can see it next saturday.
Mustang's Apprentice
This show was awesome!!!!!

Watanabe-sensei did it again!!!

The fighting was awesome, characters had a lot of personality, and the story seems interesting so far.

Oh, and zarpia, the first episode comes on again this Thursday at 12:30.
Jen_Elric
Yeah, I missed it too. but I will watch it Thursday! I like sword fighting, so I think I will like it.
Zarpia
QUOTE(Mustang's Apprentice @ May 15 2005, 05:49 AM)
Oh, and zarpia, the first episode comes on again this Thursday at 12:30.
[snapback]172781[/snapback]

ahah laugh.gif , i knew that already, but i did say anything coz i did know how to spell "thursday". but thanks anyway tongue.gif
silver bg
i don't like it...fullmetal better much better
edsgirl
QUOTE(xrninja @ May 15 2005, 01:55 AM)
has anyone who's seen the sub/raw champloo watched tonight's dub episode? all i know is that spike's VA is playing mugen, which i can't say i didn't expect. dry.gif i'm just curious to see how the voices match up, as i currently can't bring myself to watch the dub. sleep.gif
[snapback]172726[/snapback]

The dubs aren't all that bad. I personally liked Jin's VA the best. Mugen just reminded me of Spike too much, so it was hard for me not to think of Spike every time he said something. Fuu was just as irritating in english as she was in Japanese,(in my opinion) so no real change there. I think they did a good job with it, and I can tell it will get better with time.
Hagane no Renzy
I really like it, it'll probably rack up to one of my fav animes! *not surpassing FMA, naturally tongue.gif ) But anyway, it's chalk full of humor and awesomeness. Can't wait to see more!
foolmetal alchemist
That was an awesome show! I love the steel plates on Mugen's sandals!!
Martel
I really liked it! It doesn't hold a candle to FMA but it'll at least keep me going during finals week. It's got a really intersting style of animation and is kinda a nice change. I liked all the modern rap influences like the break dancing and such but the little annoying record scratch thing that they did when they changed scenes got old really fast. Other than that I thought it was an awesome show! Not to mention that Jin wears glasses and still kicks major ass lol! Yeah for us four eyes!
Luckyalchemy27
Eh, it was alright. I've seen better, but I've seen worse too. They changed scenes a lot. But I agree with Martel- Jin is awesome.
Slashrose1010
I have seen the first 5 eps (original, not dub) and it is pretty good so far. I will continue watching it after I am finished the FMA series. I like Mugen's voice in japanese... I am not sure I would want to hear the same VA for Spike to do Mugen. I don't even want to hear the main girl's dubbed voice >__<;
empty
I'm not sure how to rate it. The animation and fight scenes were excellent, like the style, but the transitions between different scenes got annoying fast. Guess I'll have to wait and see how the story shapes up. Jin does seem to be shaping up to be quite the bad ass, and Mugen does look like Spike, heheh. I still like his character design, though, it's a cool hair style.
Toby-Chan
I thought the dub was pretty good, actually. Mugen does have a very unique voice, and then, Fuu has an uber cute hyper voice, so of course it's difficult to recreate. But I must say, Pioneer/Geneon is getting much better.
CursedAnubis
I found it interesting when somebody used a bad word they scratched out the sound XD. This show was kinda bloody, and I was wincing when I watched that guy's fingers getting snapped. Otherwise, the show wasn't bad all in all, but I prefer FMA
ruruken
it was soo cool,by the ist 5 mins i almost forgot that fma was concelled!

is fma realy cancelled till september?
darkangelslayer
I thought it was really good. Mostly for the music and fighting. I also liked the fact that there's some cursing in this one, most animes I watch is all 'goody-two-shoes' so it's a nice change. I loved the part when Mujen chopped a guy's arm off and blood went squirting everywhere, I was so sure they were going to censor that.

Metropolis sucked.

Hey ruruken you n00b, dont double post!
ruruken
metropolis was terrible...
Celestial Shadow
When I saw the previews, it automatically reminded me of Cowboy Bebop, only with rogue samurai instead of space bounty hunters, and hip-hop instead of jazz. It still does remind me somewhat of it, only with a much rugged Spike (so expected his VA to be him) a more innocent Faye (I believe that is Faye's VA too blink.gif ) and a much hotter Jet tongue.gif

All in all, it has a loose feel to it and it's a little strange at times, but I'm gonna continue watching biggrin.gif
Zarpia
@ruruken-If you whant to say something else just used the "edit" botton please, we know that you are new, but did you even boder to read this:A Beginner's Guide To Forum Decorum
miss_neko
ahh. samurai champloo n.n my 2nd favorite anime. i think they did a really good job dubbing it
AlphonseRules
I liked when Fu called that guard guy bald and he says, "I'm not bald, it's a hairstyle!" laugh.gif
I also liked when Mugen started to break the Governer's spoiled son's fingers. It made me cringe a bit, but I thought that he deserved it.
~FMAgurl~
This was definately different from any other anime I have watched, but it was great. I thought that Jin had a simialr face to Amon in Witch Hunter Robin...but that could be just me blink.gif Did anyone else think that it was kind of odd that Fuu asked Muegn and Jin to find a samorai that smelled of sunflower seeds? huh.gif
silver bg
i don 't know, i watched it one more time. now i think its. ok blink.gif
xrninja
QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ May 15 2005, 05:34 PM)
Did anyone else think that it was kind of odd that Fuu asked Muegn and Jin to find a samorai that smelled of sunflower seeds? huh.gif
[snapback]173129[/snapback]

wait a sec, sunflower seeds or just sunflowers? huh.gif
Karo
I'm sure it was a sunflower instead of a sunflower seed.
Kit
It's really cool. I didn't cringe at the breaking of the fingers. That was awesome. (Violence obsessed fangirl) biggrin.gif And yeah, Metropolis sucked in a big way. I'm a little unhappy that FMA is on weekdays now instead of Saturdays. (Now I have to stay up even later to record it!) But at least they replaced it with a kick-butt show. Go bloody samurai!
It does remind me of Cowboy Bebop. The characters personalities and Mugen/Mujen (however you spell it. I never pay attention to credits) looked a bit like Spike. (Hairstyle wise)
Martel
I loved hearing Spike's voice coming out of a break dancing samurai lol! Durning the whole finger breaking thing I was just kinda like "yeah glad I'm not him." I am gonna miss FMA (a fricken ton!) but at least this show is cool enough to keep me going during finals week lol. The fighting rocked my world! I fricken cracked up when Mugen tossed the coin and Jin was like "He knows nothing of self control." Mugen just says in a very Spike-ish way "Kiss my ass." I was like Yup thats Spike laugh.gif
Falling_Man
Isn't this made/directed by the same man who did Bebop? Couldn't that help help to explain why there are some similarities...? Anyway...

Somethings I'd like to point out for episode one.
-The scratch noise when Jin cursed when talking to those guards. I found that odd. Did they do that because he does not swear so often?
-Although there are lots of similarities between Spike and Myugen (aside from VA), I noticed how Myugen and Jin are complete opposites. Fighting style, choice of vocabulary, weapon of choice, barganing methods and how they handle situations. Plus about a million other things I haven't noticed/seen.
-Character-wise, Myugen seems to be the only one similar to someone in Bebop. Actually, slightly similar. Myugen wears short, scraggy clothing and may need a shave, while Spike has that suit(I think) and is usually made up.

Otherwise, enjoyable and different. Funk-rap music rocks. I'd loved to seen it with the Jap. stuff, like the graffiti style intro/ending text. But, I guess I'll have to wait until the DVD comes out. My friend would love this series.
edsgirl
The DVD are out, I rented them off of Netflix. It's only 2 dics out right now though.
Carnal Malefactor
I haven't seen past the first episode. It intrigued me when I first saw it 6 months ago, but I just never got around to watching it further. I'm definitely gonna watch now that it's on AS, though. No excuse not to.
Quistis88
QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ May 15 2005, 06:34 PM)
Did anyone else think that it was kind of odd that Fuu asked Muegn and Jin to find a samorai that smelled of sunflower seeds? huh.gif

Better "smell" than "taste". biggrin.gif I imagine it would be chaotic if the plot made it so that she had to find someone who tasted of sunflowers. Mugen might take that literally and go around licking random people.

The DVDs are too expensive, though I would like to own legitimate copies (like heck I'll shell out $60 Canadian for a mere 4 episodes). Alas, I'm not a billionaire, and must resort to piracy other means.

I wonder how many people hear like the opening theme (assuming they also used "battlecry" as the song for the dub). I hated it at first, but I don't mind it at all now. It has really grown on me. Some people despise it though.
edsgirl
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ May 15 2005, 11:01 PM)

The DVDs are too expensive, though I would like to own legitimate copies (like heck I'll shell out $60 Canadian for a mere 4 episodes).  Alas, I'm not a billionaire, and must resort to piracy other means.

I wonder how many people hear like the opening theme (assuming they also used "battlecry" as the song for the dub).  I hated it at first, but I don't mind it at all now.  It has really grown on me.  Some people despise it though.
[snapback]173273[/snapback]

They are too damn expensive for just 4 episodes. That's why I rented them, but they only come out like every other month, which is taking too damn long.

I don't know if they used "battlecry", because I came in at the middle, but yeah it's a catchy tune, as well as the ending theme too.
Quistis88
There is apparently a PV of "battlecry" on the DVD. I'd like to rent the DVD just to see it, I suppose. My favorite ending theme is the one from episode 23. biggrin.gif
miss_neko
^ you don't have to wait for the dvd to come out. volume 1 and 2 is already out.

EDIT: opps forget the message i wrote above o.0 cause i was reading page 2.
xrninja
speaking of champloo songs, does anyone know the title and artist of the song used in episode 18, that goes "saaamuraai, <insert hiphoppy stuff>"? i kind of want to download it. biggrin.gif;;
edsgirl
The name of the song is Hiji Suru STYLE by some rapper named S-word pronounced ( Swerd) , but I don't know where you can download it from! I know that it was either Fat Jon, the Nujabes , or Forcesof Nature who did the instrumentals for it, well that's who it sounds like!
xrninja
got it, thanks! biggrin.gif i think it's nujabes.
Carnal Malefactor
Now let's talk about Samurai Shampoo... do you think Jin uses a leave-in conditioner? His hair is impressively silky.

...sorry, that was very, very gay...
Quistis88
Haha, "Shampoo" . . .

Now that you mention it, it does look "impressively silky." Then again, everything about Jin is impressive, so . . . no big surprise there.
xrninja
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ May 15 2005, 10:29 PM)
Haha, "Shampoo" . . .

Now that you mention it, it does look "impressively silky."
[snapback]173316[/snapback]

hmm, you're right. jin's hair looked particularly impressively silky in episode 26. biggrin.gif maybe mugen should try some of jin's shampoo, his hair looks a little frizzy...

so, regarding the last episode:
[spoiler]was anyone else a little disappointed with the fairly happy ending? i mean, i'm glad they survived, but when i was watching the last few episodes i was preparing myself for at least one of them to die. it's a little absurd that they all managed to survive, though, especially mugen. and i knew they were all going to split up eventually, though i didn't really want it to happen. T__T i don't know, i'm not really that dissatisfied with the ending, it was just a little too anticlimactic in my opinion. [/spoiler]
Quistis88
QUOTE(xrninja @ May 16 2005, 12:05 AM)
so, regarding the last episode:
[spoiler]was anyone else a little disappointed with the fairly happy ending? i mean, i'm glad they survived, but when i was watching the last few episodes i was preparing myself for at least one of them to die. it's a little absurd that they all managed to survive, though, especially mugen. and i knew they were all going to split up eventually, though i didn't really want it to happen. T__T i don't know, i'm not really that dissatisfied with the ending, it was just a little too anticlimactic in my opinion. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yes, Jin's hair is at its best in the last episode. I thought it was rather anti-climatic as well, though my mouth actually opened a bit when Jin showed up. I swear I almost whistled. laugh.gif Mmmmm . . . Jin. *goes to watch last episode again*

I'm satisfied with the splitting-up part of things, because that was not entirely "happy", per se. Even though I would not want any of them to die, I also think that I would have liked the ending more if at least one of them did die.[/spoiler]
Chibi-Usa
I just watched it Saturday and I love it! Especially the opening song!
Femalchemist
biggrin.gif Liked it alot. I love that Spike's voice is coming from this rough looking samurai. I'm also a girl who loves the bloody action. Can't wait to see more!
Martel
I'm not a huge fan of hiphop and such but the beginning song wasn't all that bad. I personally like Undo from FMA best ::rocks out:: But it was definately one of the better hiphop songs I've heard. That would crack me up SO BAD if you found out the secrets to Jin's extreamly shiney hair :-P I must say I have a thing for guys with ponytails
Mustang's Apprentice
To me, Samurai Champloo has a weak story.

I mean, that whole "find the sunflower samurai thing" is just an excuse for a long trek through Meiji Era Japan.

I was right when I thought Champloo would have a meh storyline. dry.gif

But it's still an awesome show!!
Toby-Chan
Screw everyone else; I love Fuu-Chan! happy.gif

Okay, that was random. She just rocks.

Why is everybody hating on Metropolis? I thought it was a decent film. Did they totally ruin it with the dub? Or are the standard viewers just upset that the character design is ugly? rolleyes.gif

Of course, as far as Tezuka works go, Phoenix>>> Metropolis.
Martel
Lol! Fuu rocks my world! The whole bomb in the komono yeah that was totally kick ass. laugh.gif
FMA JPD
I havent seen it yet. I don't think it can compete with Rurouni Kenshin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.