Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anime Characters That Prompted Gender Confusion
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Carnal Malefactor
Many of us have experienced that awkward moment while watching FMA when we realized that Envy is a dude with weird fashion taste, rather than a rare flat-chested woman in the anime realm. So what other characters have done this to you? The one that comes to mind first is Kuja from Final Fantasy IX. But there was also a time when I thought the 'Heavy Metal Queen' from Cowboy Bebop was a dude.
telepika
Jeez, there's got to be one of these in every anime out there:

Kurama from Yuyu Hakusho
Envy
Ed from Cowboy Bebop
Kenshin
Haku and Orochimaru from Naruto ( But then Orochimaru switches bodies so he's both male and female?)
The thread guy in Getbackers!!!
Rukia from Bleach (In the beginning when she was in a Shinigami outfit)
Sai in Hikaru no Go
Kuropica in Hunter X Hunter
Ayame, Momiji, the mouse guy and the tiger girl from Fruits Basket
Freeza in DBZ
Peppo in Gankutsuou
Chrno in Chrno Crusade
Kino in Kino's Travels (I still don't know his/her gender)
Okita in Peacemaker Kurogane

And that's all I remember...
Tamago
What!? If you, like I, have watched alot of anime, or even a little, you KNOW who is male and who is female...........Hmmmmm.....Except Kuja........I wasn't so sure on him........He's hot.......Anyway, male charictors are usually fairly easy to distinguish from female ones....So that's all I have to say. Farewell.
xrninja
ed and the heavy metal queen from bebop, haku from naruto, and fuuchouin kazuki from getbackers. the latter two i had a nagging feeling weren't girls the first time i saw them. mellow.gif kazuki would be a pretty hot girl, though.
Kirara
There are plenty of female looking characters that turn out to be male that this doesn't surprise me too much anymore. It is just part of anime/manga and I think it is sort of fun.

However since it is not as common guys that turn out to be girls does still throw me off. Two examples I can think of are

in Fruits Baskets

[SPOILER]Akito[/SPOILER]

and in Mai Hime

[SPOILER] Akira, now Akira looks like a girl but when they told me the character was a guy I accepted it because as I said above there are a lot of male characters who look female in anime, but then they threw me for a loop when it turned out that Akira looked like a girl since she actually was one.[/SPOILER]

That was actually one of my favorite twists in Mai Hime and it certainly had a lot of them.
telepika
QUOTE(Tamago @ May 14 2005, 06:34 PM)
What!? If you, like I, have watched alot of anime, or even a little, you KNOW who is male and who is female...........Hmmmmm.....Except Kuja........I wasn't so sure on him........He's hot.......Anyway, male charictors are usually fairly easy to distinguish from female ones....So that's all I have to say. Farewell.
[snapback]172565[/snapback]

blink.gif I've watched plenty of anime in my day, but I find there are still some cases when you are never sure. My rule of thumb was, if you are unsure then they are probably male, but Ed and Rukia are exceptions. biggrin.gif I can't believe I was once unsure of Rukia's gender since she is so obviously female now... Poor Rukia...

And is Akito actually female!!! ohmy.gif
xrninja
QUOTE(Kirara @ May 14 2005, 07:45 PM)
in Fruits Baskets

[SPOILER]Akito[/SPOILER]
[snapback]172596[/snapback]

ahh, that's right. that one i didn't really see coming. for the other cross-dressers/ambigious gender ones, ayame was obviously a guy to me, and i had a little trouble with ritsu. but the spoiler-boxed one was...blink.gif
edsgirl
As previously mentioned before
Ed-Bebop
Freeza-DBZ
Envy-FMA
Kurama -YuYu
Haku/Naruto

And a few others
Grim/Bebop
Allen/Hitome- Escaflowne
Shippou-Inuyasha
Kei-Pretear
Ukyo-Ranma 1/2
And K from Gravitation, even though you know he's a man, he could be a pretty lady
Hagane no Renzy
Wow, pretty much everyone that everyone else just mentioned. Mostly Ed (cowboy bebop) and Envy though. Them=the most.

While I'm at it, prepare for major off topic:

Bacon, I FRIGGEN LOVE YOUR BANNER!!! *can't stop laughing my ass off*
Mustang's Apprentice
Hmmmmm....

Envy-FMA
Various Naruto Characters tongue.gif -Naruto
Kurama-YYH
animejunkie429800
Envy.
Shippo
Samus
Kirby
Chorno-sry i suck at gender guessing... i think u can guess by the eyes?
and just about anything that anyone just said.
empty
Heheh, defintiely Ed, even though I know she's a girl, I still can't help but think of her as a spastic little boy.
And Freeza from DBZ, hahaha. It does look like he's wearing lipstick, and his an eerie combiantion of masculine and femenine.
Shippou, ah, I hate him. And my brother is convinced that Sesshomaru is a girl.
These guys aren't anime, but they've still got me confused - Elmo and Tweety Bird. There is some really annoying guy from the new .Hack who is really femenine too, but I don't watch the show much, so I don't know his name.
Carnal Malefactor
Ah yes. Back in 8th grade, I had a spat with a friend that lasted a couple of months that stemmed from an argument regarding the gender of Tweety Bird.

Good times.
Kinbari-chan
lol I got one. Fish Eye from Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon SuperS. The dub made him female, but in the original he acts all girly, looks for guys as his targets, and dresses as a woman when he is pretending to be human. All in all, he is one gender confused fellow.
AlphonseRules
Initially, I thought that Toboe from Wolf's Rain was a girl. He looks like a girls, sounds like a girl, and doesnt' act the same as the other wolves that are obviously guys.
Toby-Chan
Oh so many.

I remember on my birthday... two years ago I believe, we were watching subbed Rurouni Kenshin, and it took me a very long time to convince my friends that Kenshin was a man.
"But she's wearing pink."
"It's FUSHIA!!!"
(Okay, well, that didn't happen, but close.)

My mother thought Momiji from Furuba was a girl. I never had any trouble with him, though.

I thought Boogiepop from Boogiepop Phantom was just an effeminate boy. What with the big figure-hiding cloak, and being the Shinigami, and using "Boku", etc... I didn't realize he was a she until I checked my dvd box.
Maybe it's just the business of shinigami to be confusing genderwise. Like Risky from Risky Safety seemed like a boy, until I read an article arguing her true gender. o.O Darn Japanese. Change it to ShiniMEgami, or somethin'. That's probably improper, but who cares.

Yup, Envy. No need to even expand on that one.
Slashrose1010
lol, Envy is a common one. I also thought Envy was a female when I first saw him.

Kuchiki Rukia, I thought she was a guy the first time I say her, but I think she is real purdy now wink.gif smile.gif
Major Ross. I am sorry, but she is kinda manly, and not just the hair, but she is really nice and kinda pretty when you see her after awhile ^^

How about forumers? I have confused genders with teh following (sorry) Ahem: Aily, Gassy, Tokage, Kase, and LMD.
telepika
So there was someone else who thought Rukia was male. *Sigh of relief* I feel less of an idiot now.

Yeah I was also confused about Gassy's and LMD's gender. (Gomen. Gomen. Gomen.) But Kase and all her smilies! She's obviously a woman.

I was sort of confused about Kihaku's gender too... *Hides from Kihaku*
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ May 16 2005, 03:36 AM)
Initially, I thought that Toboe from Wolf's Rain was a girl.  He looks like a girls, sounds like a girl, and doesnt' act the same as the other wolves that are obviously guys.
[snapback]173265[/snapback]

I was about to mention him. Of course, when he tried to impress that Leara girl, all bets were off.
Celestial Shadow
Toboe (Wolf's Rain) Rosiel (Angel Sanctuary) Athrun (Gundam Seed) and others Celestial can't think of right now >.<
mongooseboi
haku from naruto. hes the prettiest guy, or handsomest girl i've seen. EVER.
xrninja
oh, also terry griffey from the american team in tenipuri. it took me a little while to realize that a girl wouldn't be a player on a guy's tennis team....-__-;; he's just so....girly.
mongooseboi
oo also that baker from yakitate japan that came from havard.i thought he was a girl at first. funky pink hair. o.O
xrninja
QUOTE(mongooseboi @ May 17 2005, 12:45 AM)
oo also that baker from yakitate japan that came from havard.i thought he was a girl at first. funky pink hair. o.O
[snapback]173880[/snapback]

oh yeah, kanmuri. i didn't have any trouble figuring out his gender in the manga, but in the anime he has purple-pink hair and a rather feminine voice, and i would have mistaken him for a girl if i hadn't read the manga first. blink.gif
Thy Belliepoo
I know a few people (Won't mention any names XD.) who thought Yuki Sohma from the Fruits Basket manga was a girl for a few chapters. WHY, I don't know. Then again, Shigure once said that he was quite positive that Yuki was at least 80% male. laugh.gif
Kihaku
heh, 80% male for Yuki sounds good (although lookswise it's more like 50%).Many think he's prettier as a girl anyway.

Interesting.. I always thought Envy was a boy wink.gif. We liked to argue about it with my brother... we also argued about Gaara's uncle or aunt smile.gif. My bro has to comment everytime he says "uncle" now.. because he just can't see him that way. tongue.gif

Gooosh... there are probably a few.
Haku from Naruto of course. Was anyone ever sure that he was a boy? Seems like everyone mistakes him for a girl. Anyway, he's the prettiest person in the series... It took me a looong time even after the saga was over to realise that he was a boy. (I think I read it somewhere)
Kazuki from GetBackers (the English manga called him "she" at first.. not my fault tongue.gif)
Fujisaki from Gravitation
Momiji and Ritsu from Furuba
[spoiler] and of course Akito[/spoiler]
Rukia from Bleach. I was soo disappointed to find out she was a girl.
Erutis from Demon Diary

QUOTE(telepika @ May 14 2005, 03:19 PM)
Peppo in Gankutsuou
[snapback]172483[/snapback]

I'm still confused about this. Which one is it?????

QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ May 15 2005, 08:36 PM)
Initially, I thought that Toboe from Wolf's Rain was a girl.  He looks like a girls, sounds like a girl, and doesnt' act the same as the other wolves that are obviously guys.
[snapback]173265[/snapback]

That's what I thought too smile.gif

QUOTE(telepika @ May 16 2005, 04:17 PM)
[snapback]173645[/snapback]

I found you..... smile.gif "sort of confused" eh? But I also use a lot of smilies smile.gif
Hmm... I also thought Gashole and Thieves to be male...

Others: Okay this is dumb, but I was reading Harry Potter in Finnish and we don't have seperate pronouns for genders, and I sort of missed the part of Lupin being a male teacher, so I thought he was a woman. He's feminine. tongue.gif It took me a long time to get used to the fact that he's actually a man...
«°~Envy™~°»
I'm a guy remember that happy.gif
Zarpia
QUOTE(Kihaku @ May 20 2005, 04:32 AM)
Rukia from Bleach. I was soo disappointed to find out she was a girl.

Funny,I though the same think when i first saw the 1 ep, but i wasn't disappointed, it was weird.
Animeoldtimer
This is a bit "old school" but I know people who thought Pidge on Voltron was a girl. I did not. However, I , at first, wasn't sure whether he was a short adult or a kid. laugh.gif
Toby-Chan
Haku from Naruto of course. Was anyone ever sure that he was a boy? Seems like everyone mistakes him for a girl. Anyway, he's the prettiest person in the series... It took me a looong time even after the saga was over to realise that he was a boy. (I think I read it somewhere)

He says it himself. Maybe not in the manga, but in the anime when he encountered Naruto in the forest (Clad in a lovely pink kimono/dress... can't remember) they were talking, and as he walked away, he turned around, and said "Oh, and by the way. I'm a man."
Then Naruto flips out, happy.gif "WHAT? He's cuter than Sakura-Chan!"

Erutis from Demon Diary

Oh, yeah, I forgot her. Everyone thinks she's a guy at first. They even printed "He" in the first volume. And, of course, Raenef is so dangerously bordelining womanhood, it's not funny.

I loved that little "Bondage Queen" mini-comic. (I can't remember which volume it was)
"You sexist jerks! You think I'm ugly just because I'm flat chested and have short legs! Even the readers think so! They all said "Is that a guy?" at first!" Then she tries to jump out of a window.

Aw, ::heart::!
Tamago
QUOTE(edsgirl @ May 14 2005, 10:05 PM)
Freeza-DBZ
Shippou-Inuyasha
And K from Gravitation, even though you know he's a man, he could be a pretty lady
[snapback]172674[/snapback]

K!? You shmuck man(Or woman). I knew he was a guy before I was born! (WTF??) Anyway, Freeza WAS confusing.....Really confusing...... But jeez... Shippo?? C'mon!
telepika
Momiji and Ritsu from Furuba
[spoiler] and of course Akito[/spoiler]
[snapback]175827[/snapback]

Ritsu!!! I forgot about him too!!!

QUOTE(telepika @ May 14 2005, 03:19 PM)
Peppo in Gankutsuou
[snapback]172483[/snapback]

I'm still confused about this. Which one is it?????

[spoiler]Male, at least that's what the Count says. laugh.gif[/spoiler]

QUOTE(telepika @ May 16 2005, 04:17 PM)

[snapback]173645[/snapback]

I found you..... smile.gif "sort of confused" eh? But I also use a lot of smilies smile.gif

Ahhh!!! *Runs from Kihaku* Yeah, I realize now that it was stupid. Gomen. Gomen. Gomen.
Quistis88
Hmm . . . I can't think of any that people haven't mentioned already.

Except for Haruka from Sailor Moon. Had me fooled the first time around. Kind of. I had my suspicions, but she sure can be a handsome man.
edsgirl
QUOTE(Tamago @ May 20 2005, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE(edsgirl @ May 14 2005, 10:05 PM)
Freeza-DBZ
Shippou-Inuyasha
[snapback]172674[/snapback]

K!? You shmuck man(Or woman). I knew he was a guy before I was born! (WTF??) Anyway, Freeza WAS confusing.....Really confusing...... But jeez... Shippo?? C'mon!
[snapback]176298[/snapback]

Moron, I said in my post you know he's a man. You even quoted it! dry.gif And Shippou has a damn bow in his hair and he sounds like a girl in the dubs. I'm sure i'm not the onlyone who was confused when they first saw him dipshit, watch who you call a shmuck and I think it's not hard to see with a name like edsgirl that i'm a chick!

EDIT: A combo of a bad day at work and PMS. At least I went way easy on him/her
Kihaku
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ May 20 2005, 03:36 PM)

He says it himself. Maybe not in the manga, but in the anime when he encountered Naruto in the forest (Clad in a lovely pink kimono/dress... can't remember) they were talking, and as he walked away, he turned around, and said "Oh, and by the way. I'm a man."
Then Naruto flips out, happy.gif "WHAT? He's cuter than Sakura-Chan!"

Oh, he says that in the manga too wink.gif. I read that much later and remember thinking that he didn't say it in the anime smile.gif. I don't know.. my brain must have blocked out those thoughts. tongue.gif

Erutis from Demon Diary

Oh, yeah, I forgot her. Everyone thinks she's a guy at first. They even printed "He" in the first volume. And, of course, Raenef is so dangerously bordelining womanhood, it's not funny.

I loved that little "Bondage Queen" mini-comic. (I can't remember which volume it was)
"You sexist jerks! You think I'm ugly just because I'm flat chested and have short legs! Even the readers think so! They all said "Is that a guy?" at first!" Then she tries to jump out of a window.

Aw, ::heart::!
[snapback]176082[/snapback]

Ooh.. I really like Erutis smile.gif She reminds me of myself too smile.gif. I can so sympathise with her. smile.gif Funny though.. she isn't really masculine:). Once I realised that she was a girl it was fine. but I suppose when one is used to feminine guys.. and yes, there's also Raenef.. wink.gif

telepika:
Oh, thanks for clarifying the bit about Beppo smile.gif.
[spoiler]
I'm sure that he/she said that he/she was a guy.. in ep 1 (or 2?).. but no matter how I look at him/her... he just looks FEMALE. So I have a hard time accepting it at all... Hasn't he even got a woman's body? tongue.gif [/spoiler]

And I'm not bothered by your mistake wink.gif. So no worries.

Tamago:
Um, just because people mistake someone for a different gender, it doesn't give you the right to insult them.

heh, and K pretended to be a girl in the Gravi manga wink.gif. It was pretty hilarious... with his size too.. biggrin.gif
Hmm... and on Gravi.. my brother refuses to believe that Shuichi is a boy smile.gif. I thought it was pretty clear once I saw him.. but well..

I just watched Yakitate!! Japan ep 18.... When I saw Shigeru I wondered if he was a girl or a boy wink.gif.. but eventually decided female... I wasn't as shcocked as my bro when it was confirmed. smile.gif
QUOTE(telepika @ May 14 2005, 03:19 PM) [snapback]172483[/snapback]

Jeez, there's got to be one of these in every anime out there:

Kurama from Yuyu Hakusho
Envy
Ed from Cowboy Bebop
Kenshin
Haku and Orochimaru from Naruto ( But then Orochimaru switches bodies so he's both male and female?)
The thread guy in Getbackers!!!
Rukia from Bleach (In the beginning when she was in a Shinigami outfit)
Sai in Hikaru no Go
Freeza in DBZ
Peppo in Gankutsuou
Chrno in Chrno Crusade
Kino in Kino's Travels (I still don't know his/her gender)

And that's all I remember...

You forgot Shippo(guy) and Jukotstu(girl. "he" is a result of bad dubbing, maybey) from Inuyash
Jen_Elric
Umm...Jakotsu is NOT a girl. HE's a crossing dressing gay MALE! They even say "HE" in the anime. That's why it's soo disturbing (and funny) when HE hits on Inuyasha.
Luceit Elric
I'm pretty good when it comes to distinguishing male and female characters. The only ones that completely fooled me were Nuriko, Envy, Sai and...ahem, Wrath. (please don't laugh at me!)
QUOTE(Jen_Elric @ Oct 18 2005, 07:35 AM) [snapback]301205[/snapback]

Umm...Jakotsu is NOT a girl. HE's a crossing dressing gay MALE! They even say "HE" in the anime. That's why it's soo disturbing (and funny) when HE hits on Inuyasha.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?

I thought it was just bad dubbing! ph34r.gif
Carnal Malefactor
IPB Image
Smoke Alchemist
QUOTE(Void @ Feb 8 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]347854[/snapback]

IPB Image

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Toby-Chan
laugh.gif

Mello from Death Note.

I'm always open to androgynous characters in anime; heck, I expect them. But I was so convinced that Mello was just the flat out creepiest chick I'd ever seen from the first sight of him/her as an adult, and when I mentioned that, my friend gave me a wierd look and was like "wtf? Mello's a guy."

I refused to believe it.

For a loooong time.
kenderoth
Ed and the heavy metal queen from bebop, haku from naruto, and fuuchouin kazuki from getbackers.
Kurama from Yuyu Hakusho

Envy (wow i was disapointed)
Kenshin
Naruto (Okay what about sexyjitsu)
The thread dude in volts (getbackers)
Rukia from Bleach (when she was in a Shinigami outfit)
Sai in Hikaru no Go
Freeza in DBZ
Peppo in Gankutsuou
Chrono Crusade
Kino in Kino's Travels
MigElite
Al from FMA.......................
Sleeping Forest
QUOTE(MigElite @ Feb 12 2006, 11:50 PM) [snapback]349533[/snapback]

WTF?
anyways, um, i think the weirdest one was haku...
followed by jakotsu...i'm still reeling from that one...
and ritsu and yuki from furuba...
the one that scared me the most was envy, though...i mean come on he wears a MINISKIRT!!
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Violet Alchemist @ Feb 19 2006, 10:42 AM) [snapback]351980[/snapback]

QUOTE(MigElite @ Feb 12 2006, 11:50 PM) [snapback]349533[/snapback]

WTF?

Actually, that's kind of a common one. Most people who are new to the series and see him at a random point (usually those who are also unfamiliar with anime as well) go "So... is that a robot? ... why does it sound like a little girl?"
Nepharski
Envy (Fullmetal Alchemist) and Ed (Cowboy Beebop) are the only two characters who spring to mind. I still say Envy, in the Manga anyway, is predominantly female, and prefer to call Envy her rather than him.
[spoiler]In the Manga, Envy has no definite gender. In fact, Envy's not even what you could consider human, artificially made or otherwise.[/spoiler]
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Smoke Alchemist @ Feb 8 2006, 06:17 PM) [snapback]347857[/snapback]

QUOTE(Void @ Feb 8 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]347854[/snapback]

IPB Image

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

That's what I said. biggrin.gif

If you go to ko-chan.org there's a whole image board devoted only to Bridget. It's a little disturbing.

IPB Image
instantmirage
Kenshin from anime SamuraiX,
first glance i though he was a red-haired-x-marked-on-cheek-chick.
MasterKris
Titi from Sequence. Not a very well known manga, but one of the character's gender there is really confusing. Once u think he's a boy, but the character himself don't know. He sometimes dresses up like a girl, mostly his fansion 19th century British clothes. It's basically if Titi is a guy, the manga is yaoi, if Titi's a girl, that would be creeepy.

[spoiler]Also Akito Sohma from Fruits BAsket. You THINK he's a guy.[/spoiler] And Momiji too. I seriously thought he was a high school girl, (mabye in college) cause I only saw his face. And but after I saw his height, I thought he was a middle school girl, until he hugged Tohru

Chrono from Chrono Crusade. Yes, I thought he was a girl.

Sai from HnG would be the biggest of all. When his gender was revealed, all the fans went into shock. He looks like a girl, acts like one, and I just couldn't believe he was a guy until I heard his voice in the anime. But I still have a feeling that Sai is a girl and I think I refused to accept him as a guy. I WISH HE WAS A GIRL!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.