Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fullmetal Fantasy
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2
Hagaren_Edward
<In my attempt to collect all FMA movie, OVA, and off-spring movie in one sub-forum, I'm moving this from FMA Anime forum front section to FMA anime Movie sub-forum. 02/19/07 ~Tombow>

Advertisement- Have you ever imagined what it would be like to be a real anime
character? Vic Mignogna, Edward Elric of Fullmetal Alchemist, has
created an original live action short film featuring many of your
favorite FMA voice actors. "Fullmetal Fantasy" is a special
presentation you won't want to miss!

Yes it's true. All the small town rumors floating around about Vic making an FMA movie are all correct. He has, and he even got some other voice actors in on the project as well. Originally it was supposed to be kept secret, but those who know Vic, know he can't keep his mouth shut about projects for long XD. Unfortunately, one main character confirmed -not- to make an appearance in the movie is Roy Mustang. Sorry Flame fans.

The movie will fist aire at AnimeCentral (ACEN) Friday, May 13 at 1:00 PM (This weekend)

It will be shown again (confirmed showing) at Project A-kon in June. (In Dallas, TX)

According to FUNimation, this is an outside video project meaning they have no video licenses on it and it will not be availible to the public. The only way to see it will be to attend an anime convention, or hope for a bootleg on the torrents.
Mustang's Apprentice
No offence, but I'm fully against the idea of a FMA live action movie.

No anime should endure that difficult idea.
GaaraFreak
Ahhh
I was just about to post something like this.
I got to attend ACEN and somehoe wound up watching Full Metal Fantasy. It was VERY entertaining, despite what you may think. I loved it, and if it ever came out on DVD, I'd buy it.
It had other VA's from FMA as well in it.. the chick who played Winry showed up in a winry costume. It was awesome
WTF... so we gonna see a 20-30+ tall man running around pretending to be a 15yr old and short?
Kitty Cat
I agree. How are they going to find a short guy pretending to be Ed? dry.gif
Oinchinjey
Are there any picture yet
for Fullmetal Fantasy?
Toby-Chan
o.O...

Ew.
HYDROGEN ALCHEMIST
Regardless though,...
I'd get a kick outa seein' it!cool.gif

Hope someone can nab a few shots of it,... if not more.
POTOPHREAK
Hmm... no Roy, what about Riza?
Life-action seems kinda interesting. Any screen-shots? I wonder how Ed would look like . Short, yeah, short. Not really interested in the American dubbing voice dry.gif I think would be great if it's the original japanese voices.
terroja
I really think that with a decent budget of around 70-80 million dollars, I could make an absolutely kick-ass FMA movie.

But yeah, this will suck.
xrninja
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ May 16 2005, 06:59 PM)
o.O...

Ew.
[snapback]173780[/snapback]

my sentiments exactly...
hagane_no_tokage
i concur. *gags* wtf? it's not enough they screwed up the anime, now they gotta embarrass the show further? gimme a break. i think they all need a time out to sit in the corner and think about what they've done... dry.gif
Toby-Chan
I mean, the English actors already suck in portraying the characters in voice; it's not like they're going to stand a snowball's chance in H E double hockey sticks at looking like them.

It might have been maybe possibly halfway decent if it was produced in Japan. Not to be all culturally biased, but really, they have come out with moderately decent live-action anime; and whatsmore, have you seen an american cosplayer in comparison to a Japanese cosplayer? There's a world of difference.
Slashrose1010
XD lol, omg... Why would they do such a thing >__< I hate cosplayers. They never look anywhere close to the anime/game characters, unless they are extremely good.

*my curiosity is too great for my own good... I will probably search for it, but I doubt i can find it... and if I do I will probably destroy it* Nooo!! They have destroyed Trisha and Lust's beauty!! T.T
Um.....don't you think you people are overreacting a little bit? This isn't supposed to be some big-time, blockbuster movie poised to aim in theaters. It's just a short film Vic felt like doing, because he loves the show so much. That's not embarassing it - he's just having some good ol' fun. And everyone likes to have fun, right? No offense, but you guys should just chill and not observe the fandom so critically.

Also, I'd hardly say that they've ruined the anime.............plus, this film isn't technically a FUNimation project. It's only Vic's responsibility, so any insults you might have should be aimed at him. There's no need to bash FUNimation for this just because you think they "screwed up" FMA, which has nothing to do with the film at all.

I, for one, wouldn't mind being able to see this. Though I probably never will, because I never have enough money for cons. I imagine it would enjoyable, even if Vic acts as Ed and appears way too tall for the role.
My friend has a magazine with something about who would play what character if they made a FMA movie with actors. It wasn't pretty dry.gif
Lucky Charm
QUOTE(Guest @ May 22 2005, 02:27 PM)
Um.....don't you think you people are overreacting a little bit?  This isn't supposed to be some big-time, blockbuster movie poised to aim in theaters.  It's just a short film Vic felt like doing, because he loves the show so much.  That's not embarassing it - he's just having some good ol' fun.  And everyone likes to have fun, right?  No offense, but you guys should just chill and not observe the fandom so critically.

Also, I'd hardly say that they've ruined the anime.............plus, this film isn't technically a FUNimation project.  It's only Vic's responsibility, so any insults you might have should be aimed at him.  There's no need to bash FUNimation for this just because you think they "screwed up" FMA, which has nothing to do with the film at all.

I, for one, wouldn't mind being able to see this.  Though I probably never will, because I never have enough money for cons.  I imagine it would enjoyable, even if Vic acts as Ed and appears way too tall for the role.
[snapback]177561[/snapback]

Way to say it man/girl.

I heard that this action movie was actually good. Someone over the FMA LJ community posted some pics of it.
FMAlover^
anyone gonna post some screen shots?? I'm wondering how to characters will look like...thanks
telepika
OMG!!! What the hell!!!

I do admit that I'm a little curious to see this thing, but I think that the moment I lay eyes on the opening scene, I'll be screaming for my life!

I'm glad Mr. Vic Mignogna is excited about FMA, but that doesn't mean that I support him making an FMA short film. But whatever, let him have fun, but I'm not watching it.
Azura Elric
*is crying that Roy Mustang won't be in it* Travis!!! GRRR!!! lol or is it because Vic hates Roy or something?! lol

Oh well whatever. lol Anything done by Vic, I'll gladly watch....but I don't live in Texas ._. guess I'll have to wait for screenshots or when I ask Vic to transfer the movie over the net. =_=
TheVileOne
People who are pissed about this are being stupid. Its like being upset over the kids who made their own version of Raiders Of The Lost Ark, and redid it shot for shot.
Radical Alchemist
Yeah.. i'm curious too... if anyone has screenshots, do share.
tinlunlau
did Vic ever show it in Toronto when he came over to Toronto for Anime North?
It was shown at Anime North, yes.

I went to it, only because my friend dragged me along-- I'd only ever seen 2 eps of FMA and didn't like what I saw.

However, Vic's Full Metal Fantasy was absolutely BRILLIANT! I laughed so hard, as did everyone else in the audience. I spoke to many die-hard FMA fans after the screening and they had nothing but good things to say about the film.

Get this straight: it's not the reproduction of FMA, it's a bit of a parody. It details how Vic (playing himself) receives a package, a detailed pocketwatch (I assume it has some significance in the anime series) and falls asleep with it in his hand. When he wakes up he's horrified to discover that he's actually TURNING INTO Elric. All of it was really well done and I'd love to see it again. It actually makes me want to give the series a second chance-- the dubbed version, of course!

So to all of you idiot purists who are constantly harping on about "oh NOES they'll RUIN it! Not ENGLISH! Aiiiii!" get a life. Seriously. It's narrow minded people like yourselves who give anime fans such a horrible reputation and ruin the fandom of everyone else. LIGHTEN UP! Try to enjoy something that's not Japanese, for once!
Omakase Shimasu
QUOTE(Hagaren_Edward @ May 13 2005, 11:26 AM)
According to FUNimation, this is an outside video project meaning they have no video licenses on it and it will not be availible to the public. The only way to see it will be to attend an anime convention, or hope for a bootleg on the torrents.
[snapback]171743[/snapback]

You Americans have all the luck. Guess I've got no choice but to stalk torrent (sites) now. biggrin.gif
I watched Fullmetal Fantasy at Anime North, and I have to say it was very well done. I had no idea Vic was such a fanboy of his own series. (The man had already watched the entire series fansubbed before he was actually cast as Edward.) During the Q&A, he told us that the whole project began when he ordered the pocketwatch off ebay. He said that he thought it would be interesting if voice actors actually cosplayed their own characters, and before he knew it, Fullmetal Fantasy was born. He also mentioned that it won't be on the internet for about a year. He wants to show it at conventions first and see the fans' reactions.

Also, depending on how the Japanese producers of the show react, it may become a special feature in the DVDs. Until then, he can't sell it or anything, since Funimation doesn't own the property.
What I would suggest is that you find out which con he'll be appearing at next and go, that's the only way you can see it for now.

You really have to respect the guy for putting so much time and effort, not to mention his own money, into the project. I personally don't care much for the "generic hero voice" he uses for Ed, but he isn't a bad voice actor. And Vic himself is a pretty cool guy. During the autograph session, he freaked out over the number of Edwards that showed up and took pictures of them. It was like he was their fan, not the other way around. In fact, I distinctly remember him stealing an Ed plushie from one girl, because he thought it was so cool. Just give him a chance.
FMAlover^
Aww..So no screenshots... T.T
Guest_Charis_*
I agree witht he guest above. We can bash it all we want but remember this is all in good fun. You know they would never really have this live action take over the real anime.

It's just like a comedy AMV or a fansub that has all the wrong titles, it's there to make you laugh. Don't worry guys, no one is gonna prefer this over FMA.... hopefully.

I'd see it just for a good laugh....
Chibi Reina
[Edit] O.O I didn't realize there was a second page!! Skip my question. I wish they had a convention like that in Wyoming XD But they don't. So it stinks. lol
Wow.... interesting to know that Vic is such fan. It would be interesting to see (too bad I don't live in the US).

For all those people who said something like:

... *gags* wtf? it's not enough they screwed up the anime, now they gotta embarrass the show further? gimme a break. i think they all need a time out to sit in the corner and think about what they've done... 

I would like to know exactly how they screwed the anime up? To my knowledge (I get DVDs), the actors were generally all fantastic - especially Vic and even if they did do some lines differently, I was happy they had the original text with the Jap dub. Granted there are some voices which may be cringe-worthy, the show was generally well-cast. Even if you did think the voices were badly case, you could hardly say that the show was ruined (especially comparing it to some others..... eg. Yugioh, Cardcaptors).
Akir
My friends viewed FMA Fantasy this past weekend at AnimeNEXt and could not stop talking about how freaking amazing it was.
They said that all the characters were portrayed wonderfully in live-action, and creepy as it may sound, all the voice actors looked remarkably like their characters (they seemed fond of the Gluttony, who even had the homunculus tatoo on his tongue).
And its very funny too. At one point, Psiren steals Vic's car XD

I'm gonna see it at Otakon in August, and I can't wait biggrin.gif

And people: leave Vic and FMA Fantasy be.
Lil
QUOTE(Akir @ Jun 20 2005, 01:10 PM)
My friends viewed FMA Fantasy this past weekend at AnimeNEXt and could not stop talking about how freaking amazing it was.
They said that all the characters were portrayed wonderfully in live-action, and creepy as it may sound, all the voice actors looked remarkably like their characters (they seemed fond of the Gluttony, who even had the homunculus tatoo on his tongue).
And its very funny too. At one point, Psiren steals Vic's car XD

I'm gonna see it at Otakon in August, and I can't wait biggrin.gif

And people: leave Vic and FMA Fantasy be.
[snapback]196025[/snapback]

Yes I saw it at Anime NEXT! 2 times even! I'm going through withdrawl.... It was mad funny. The whole thing is a joke it's not ment as a serious live action version. And it is fan-made! Vic did have some sweet connections tho so the film is beautiful and has nice effects with quick cut pro I think it is? He made this for the fans according to him, so please don't be angry about it. And honestly I don't think there can be any serious live action for most anime.... just look at sailor moon musicals. I like it funny anyways.

Brief summary of his movie:

Recent Edward Elric voice actor recieves a cool state alchemist watch via ups and (ebay?). He falls asleep with it in his hand..... but is it possesed with some weird force? For as he wakes up stange events begin to occur....
Senefen
Awww I doubt it'll get to Manifest, but I'll see if I can get them to play it. It'd be nice to have something in Australia for once.
the_lightning_alchemist10
All you ppl who complain about, YOU ALL SUCK ASS!!!! Give it a chance ok? It was freakin hilarious!!!! I loved it. Same with all of the other ppl i talked to at Anime Next (NJ). Unfortunatlly though when i went he said, it wouldn't be on DVD or on the net. Ya just gotta see it. Bealeve me it's worth it!!!! Ask anyone with a sense of humor. Am i right peoples?!
DemonicFlare-Alchemist
Like my parents would let me go all the way to Texas for an anime convention. They would have probably have a bitch fit.
Well, cons are everywhere. Ya just gotta search google. That was how I found out about Animenext. There's gotta be one semi-close to you.
FMAlover^
I can never atytend any convention or what you call them...So i never be able to watch it.
Aww, I feel so bad for you. Sorry if I rubbed it in.
Fullmetal Fugazi
QUOTE(Mustang @ May 15 2005, 10:04 AM) [snapback]172802[/snapback]

No offence, but I'm fully against the idea of a FMA live action movie.

No anime should endure that difficult idea.

dito. I dont think a live movie like this FM fantasy would be a wise decision becouse we would see the voice actors out of character and that would just throw every thing off. However I would be interested in an FMA live action movie ONLY if it was a FULL BIG bugeted filme with a little CGI from the makers of Lord of the Rings or someone like that......now that is something I would be interested in. Same characters, same voices, same story, no if ands or buts about it.
Okay first off, if you didn't see it you have no right to say if it's good or bad!!! I saw it and it was hilarious!!!!! So don't say that crap if you didn't see it. If, you saw it and didn't like it okay I understand. But, if ya didn't than tell me reasons WHY other than the fact it's not high budghet or because it's LARP from the voice actors. Give me good one's too!!!!
DustStorm
Was Envy in the movie?
*thinks* yep. Envy was there
who me?Yes you!!!!
Hey if any one is in the Atlanta, Georgia area Vic will be here and he may show his movie FullMetal Fantasy again. I not sure if he will show it or not. But Vic will be a specail guest at Anime Weekend Atlanta 11. It will be September 23-25, 2005 at the cobb galleria. Check it out at www.awa-con.com
awwww, I wanna see it again!!! But, I loive in Nj. DAMMIT!!!!
Fullmetal Fugazi
QUOTE(the_lightning_alchemist10 @ Sep 20 2005, 10:47 PM) [snapback]289667[/snapback]

Okay first off, if you didn't see it you have no right to say if it's good or bad!!! I saw it and it was hilarious!!!!! So don't say that crap if you didn't see it. If, you saw it and didn't like it okay I understand. But, if ya didn't than tell me reasons WHY other than the fact it's not high budghet or because it's LARP from the voice actors. Give me good one's too!!!!

ok buddy, dont burst a vein tongue.gif This is a forum, right? and a forum is where people express their oppinions, right? So if people didnt offer their oppinions (weather you agree with them or not) on topics than this place would only be a measly FMA news page. Do you see where I going with this? Dont become a flame......alchemist tongue.gif
Well, I did say i wanted good reasons. Ididn't say "You're all wrong go die somewhere!!" Besides flames are cool!!!!!
Taichi-K54 the Neo Alchemist
Well, I did enjoy Fullmetal Fantasy....The Brownsville Otaku Anime Society (my anime club) has been the ONLY anime club to see Fullmetal Fantasy twice....now, we did not steal it or something like that. Vic Mignogna himself had the honor of being our club's guest of honor for the weekend of Sept. 30 - Oct. 2. He enjoyed the stay in Brownsville and was nice enough to screen it in our anime club.
Vankala
QUOTE(the_lightning_alchemist10 @ Sep 20 2005, 09:32 PM) [snapback]289667[/snapback]

I agree. Just b/c its not a big-budget movie or anything like that, doesn't mean its not good! I saw it at last year's A-Kon and I LOVE IT!!! It was so funny. Everyone who saw it loved it! So anyone who hasn't seen it yet should at least give it a chance whether they think they'll dislike it or not.
Joe J
Don't know if you have read this yet, but here's a somewhat recent interview with Vic in which he discusses Fullmetal Fantasy a little: Link (Click on his name for the interview.)

Here's the relevant text:

ANN: Lets get this started with one of your most recent projects. Tell me about this Fullmetal Fantasy.

Vic: Well, the story about that little fan film that I did is, I was at a convention in Columbus, Ohio, and some fans asked me if I would put on this red Ed Elric coat so they could take some pictures. I did, and the rest of the weekend, there were all these fans coming up saying, You ought to cosplay as Ed! I was thinking, I could never cosplay as Ed. Hes a little kid, Im not, but on the flight home, I was thinking to myself, Well, if I was ever going to make a little movie, what kind a story could I make up where it would be realistic that a grown guy started kind of becoming Edward Elric? So, I made up this little story and then it just kept growing and growing and I came up with more ideas and more ideas and then I started thinking it would really be fun to shoot this thing... Shoot it film style, and edit it all film style, and put music to it and sound effects, and kind of just kept working on it and working on it. Then I started asking other voice actors who were in the show if they wanted to be in it, and next thing you know, we shot this thing and put it all together. It turned out really neat! Its about a 15 minute fan film and the whole purpose of it was just for the fans at the conventions, to show at the cons, and hope the fans would love it. They seem to really enjoy it, so...

ANN: Have you ever thought about doing that for all your other stuff?

Vic: You know, I have to tell you, Ive never been as inspired by a show as I have been by Fullmetal. Ive done probably 45 or 50 shows by now and there just has never been one that Ive enjoyed as much or gotten into as much as Fullmetal Alchemist. That, coupled with the fact that no ones ever done anything like this that I know of. Ive been to a lot of cons and Ive never seen any kind of a live action take on an anime, plus Ive never seen a bunch of voice actors cosplaying their characters, so it was just kind of a unique idea and kind of a one time thing, I think.

Peace,
Joe J.
Ed-Al-Win Fan
Aw man lol...I wish I could have seen this...From the looks of you guys who enjoyed it, it seemed like it be entertaining...And besides I like the english voice actors for the series, I seen some of the japanese one's, but I can't get really into it because of the subtitles. It kind of throws me off from looking at the words and at the scene, the same time, I can't really get into what's going on...The english VA are not that 'bad' (lol)...I been seeing around, that many people depise them...But hey this is just my opinion...And I also went to that link Joe J that you provided, thanks. It was interesting what Vic was saying, I didn't know he was such a big fan of FMA...Thats really interesting that he loves playing that role as Edward, I can tell he puts a lot effort into it from the many episodes I seen...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.