Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Detective Conan (名探偵コナン)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Manga > Let's discuss your fav manga series here!
Pages: 1, 2, 3
~Crystal_Starz~
Man I'm in Hong Kong right now and waiting desperately for #46 to come out in Chinese... I've seen it in Japanese stores where it's in Japanese already... In any case, who reads it?

From Animecrazy:
Kudo Shinichi is a seventeen year-old high school detective whom people call the "Modern Sherlock Holmes." However, one night after a date with his childhood sweetheart, Ran, Shinichi witnessed an illegal trade and, caught off his guard, was knocked unconscious and fed a drug that was supposed to kill him... but he woke up and found himself shrunken to a seven year-old. In order to track down the men who did this to him, Shinichi hid his identity and lived with Ran, whose father happened to be a hopeless detective, and with that came a series of murders and mysteries that he must solve.

(Source: MangaFox)

Years of Released: 1994
This Series Is Released Weekly
Author: Aoyama Gosho
Artist: Aoyama Gosho
Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Mystery, Romance, School Life, Sci-fi, Shounen

Summary
Kudou Shinichi is an exceptional high school detective. While investigating one, he was caught by a pair of nefarious men in black that he was watching and forced to take a dangerous experimental drug. Leaving him for dead, the criminals disappear. Instead of being killed, the dangerous drug put him back to a little kid.

To preserve the illusion of his disappearance, Shinichi adopts a new name based on his favorite author (Arthur Conan Doyle) and Edogawa Ranpo and becomes Edogawa Conan. Ran, his childhood friend, takes this little boy under her wing and brings him to her home. Conan now lives at a detective agency run by Ran's father, as he relies on the possibility that he may cross roads with the men in black again. His mind is as keen as ever and continues to solve all the cases that come his way, but always allowing Ran's moronic father to take all the credit.

As far as everyone's concerned, Conan is just a little kid anyway, even to Ran. This is frustrating because nobody will listen to him. In spite of this, he has a mission: to put the criminals who did this to him behind bars and get the antidote to that drug.

wolfi1412
me! me! oh! oh! me!!!!!!! I read it until vol. 30 something.. u can read it online if u want.. omgosh! the story plot and the tricks.. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so... goood!!
to read online:
conan.esmartkid.com
Prinz_Zoisit
Conan is too short for me........
Gashole
I'll confess: I never really pay attention to Conan's superhuman ability in investigating murder cases. I keep reading due to other factors.
wolfi1412
u mean like the tricks and stuff? I kinda like it..

I don't really like conan, I like kaitou!!
Kakashi
I just started watching the anime of Detective Conan and it's really good. ^^

Thank you wolfi1412 for the link to the manga. *starts reading it*
wolfi1412
you're welcome... I read the first 30+ chapters in Indonesia and it's Indonesian also.. but now I moved, so the my only hope is that site.
Gashole
Doh... the manga is out in the U.S. and now I'm reading about the adventure of JIMMY Kudo... rolleyes.gif What are they going to call Kaitou Kid, I wonder?

I thought to finally catch up with the series (I'm too lazy to read online), but the name changes is turning me off already.
xrninja
is conan interesting? my friend moved back to japan and gave me thirtysomething volumes of conan in japanese, and i'm wondering if i should go through the effort of translating them. well, i haven't even flipped through them yet so i don't know how much text is in there, hopefully it'll be as easy to read as slam dunk was smile.gif in any case, they're all in my trunk, so if i ever get trapped in my car for whatever reason, i'll have something to do laugh.gif

eew, they translated conan to jimmy? that's like the shaman king dubs, where hao became ZEKE, ren to lenny, horohoro to trey, manta to morty, tamao to tammy, ryou to rio....*mutters*
Lust
I've completed volume one. Interesting series, though, I'm not buying volume 2.
Gashole
Well, Conan is full of murders, so if you can handle blood and are interested in the MANY VARIOUS CREATIVE ways you can kill a person, the series if for you.

The artwork's kind of unique, which I like. smile.gif

The main character is actually Shinichi Kudo. Then he was drugged and transformed into a kid, whom he himself named Conan Edogawa. Strangely this name isn't changed, though, so what was the point in calling Shinichi "Jimmy" in the first place? And there are so many characters throughout the series I'm almost sure they're going to run out of names if they attempt to Englishize every one of them.
Omakase Shimasu
Reminds me of Matantei Loki Ragnarok. biggrin.gif Same mangaka by any chance?
Gashole
Nah, probably not. Conan has some cute elements, though. Believe me, it wasn't for all the blood tht I read it until vol 30 something.
wolfi1412
I think the plot's kinda get interesting when it evolves around the "Men in Black" guys..

and what's up with Jimmy? it doesn't connects with Conan! Conan's name was taken from Conan Doyle, so why not use that name? and Kaitou Kid.. that'll be funny.. Kaitou Kid was called Kid the Phantom Thief in the link that i gave.
RoyxRiza BigFan
i think the latest series is nearly reaching issue 60....have they expose out the connection with the mafia of that mysterious lady who can speak english?
Cloud28
wee, finally i see some conan fans, lOL, yeah Detective Conan manga rocks, but still like the anime better, Anyone wana guess the ending of the series?? biggrin.gif
wolfi1412
never watch the anime,
and I haven't catch up with the manga, coz there's none in Canada.
Thievesvinegar
well i'm hoping hat the manga is better than the anime. Watched it on adult swim, the enligh verrson might of ruined it but i thought of it as a bit boring
Gashole
QUOTE(Cloud28 @ Oct 14 2004, 10:09 AM)
wee, finally i see some conan fans, lOL, yeah Detective Conan manga rocks, but still like the anime better, Anyone wana guess the ending of the series?? biggrin.gif

Shinichi returns to his original form. Wow, I'm such a fortune teller. biggrin.gif
Then again, with the many murders throughout the series, there's also a possibility that he might be killed. If he did get killed, the samet thing would probably happen to the mangaka.
wolfi1412
hey, what happens if before it ended, the mangaka dies?
Gashole
biggrin.gif I used to wonder the same thing. Maybe his assistants would take over then and continue the plot as "the mangaka would." Or maybe it just stops being published.
wolfi1412
NOO!!! can't be stopped! it's too good!
Cloud28
yeah i agree, it should become the next doramon LOL! biggrin.gif
wolfi1412
lol... btw, when did doraemon's mangaka died?
Fayt
I saw up to episode 40 I was able to solve 5 cases before conan did biggrin.gif
wolfi1412
what cases are those?
Sycia
Matantei Ragnarok Loki and Meitantei Conan aren't by the same artist... and they don't look anything alike, style or storyline wise... o_O

Conan... eh, well... it's.... long... getting too long I lost interest in the anime completely (10 years). The 9th movie's coming out and I don't intend to watch it.

.... ^_^ But the 8th movie was entertaining. Conan and Kid were both in there 'cooperating' with each other.
MasterKris
I am a really big fan of Detective Conan. I have volumes all the way to 45. I read Detective Conan since I was 7. I really like the mysteries, it is so good and whoever thought of the mystery, likely Aoyama Gosho, is very smart. I HATED the way Adult Swim had changed the names, Shinichi to Jimmy, Ran to Rachel, the name is all too weird!!! But I'm still glad they haven't changed the name Conan Edogawa. I not too fond of the anime Detective Conan, but I really like the manga. I REALLY WANT TO KNOW THE SUMMERIZING OF THE MOVIES OF DETECTIVE CONAN!!! I tried all these sites for them but they are all banned or out of linked or whatever. PLEASE SEND ME A SUMMERIZING IF YOU HAVE WATCHED THE MOVIE!!! I would espacially like to know the summerizing of the 7th movie. Here is my e-mail
masterkris0211@yahoo.com
Aoyama Gosho is soooooo good at drawing mangas!!! Even my mom likes them too! Okay, I will stop blabbering about Detective Conan. (Cannot help it, likes Detective Conan WAY too much)
DeVilSoul
Conan's a nice manga too,but im thinking it's getting rather draggy.Anyone else thinks that too???lolz,i cant wait the next vol to come out,me now reads till vol 48(i think...)i have some of conans movies too n they rox!Serious
MasterKris
Kaito Kid is making lots of appearances in DC. I guess Aoyama Gosho sensei just gave up the Kaito series and put it in DC.

Does anybody know the part when Conan pulls that young doctors face thinking it was Vermouth? THAT WAS HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!
Zarpia
I'm waiting for more episodes of Conan
Christallie Kalric
I am a huge fan of detective conan. that's what get me addicted into manga. there's 49 volumes of the manga now... can't wait for the ending...

personally, i think that the manga is much better than the anime. it is more original.
MasterKris
Really??!! I have up to volume 48!!
[SPOILER]Because of new underlings of the Black Organization just appearing in volume 48, I think the series will continue much longer.[/SPOILER]

The manga IS better than the anime, the anime is just rushing through the event, trying to cover the story, murder, investigating, solving, in 30 min. And the anime figures look weirder than the manga.
nikina
Conan... yes, bloodieness... and lots of it... oh yea, on the inside cover of every book, the author draws himself and someway he's gonna get killed.... weird.
MasterKris
HAHA! laugh.gif
Oh yes sooo true!
Did ya hear? Aoyama Gosho married Minami Takayama, the voice actor of Conan in Japanese! cool.gif
Christallie Kalric
Are you sure?
MasterKris
Yes! Here is the site!
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=6760
They married before the day of Conan's birthday! Also the day of Minami Takayama's birthday!
The funny thing is, it's a "reverse-proposed", meaning Minami Takayama-san proposed to Aoyama Gosho-sensei.
Shiho
I've read until book 49. I find the drawings quite detailed compared to other works I've seen, most likely due to Gosho's nealry 20 years of manga-ka experience. BTW, its really strange to know Minami married Gosho.

[spoiler]The BO and Conan seems to have some action here.....Gosho says he already has the ending of the series in his mind[/spoiler]
MasterKris
Who's BO??
The RZA
anybody know a good webstie to find files 518 & 519
MasterKris
Mahou_Alchemist-san!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You sig is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KAWAII!!!!!!!!!! wub.gif
Sorry but posting sites for scans is forbidden in this website. What story is on file 518 & 519 anyways??

I know who BO is now. I WANT VOLUME 49!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHO THE HECT IS DJ??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MetalEncryptions
Wow! People are on Vol. 48 of Case Closed? I'm only on Vol. 5! Looks like I have a lot of reading to do...
nikina
Yes, thew series has been going on for quite some time, i think at least 6 years...
The RZA
yep its a long runnin series
MasterKris
8 years to be exact, it started on 1997. I wonder when it is going to end... sad.gif
Anybody here watched the Conan vs KID vs Yaiba?? I really want to watch it...
MetalEncryptions
Wow! Very long time its been going on! Uggh!
Christallie Kalric
1997 is actually the start of the anime not the manga. Gosho started Detective Conan 1991. 14 years of conan ...

[spoiler]
DJ is actually the politician
[/spoiler]
FullMetal_Stella
I love this series!! I't been my abselute fav anime for over 3 years! Until I saw FMA.....

That was in 1991? Well, the first manga was first released in 1994.
Christallie Kalric
Well, that's what a friend of mine told me... she did say either 1991 or 1994. i better check with her again
MasterKris
SORRY!!!!!!!!!!! I SAID IT WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or typed it wrong, tt's 1994. I've known Detective Conan for 9 years. It's my first manga! smile.gif It can't be 1991, or it should be like volume 60 already.

ARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I carelessly highlighted the spoiler!! man...........why!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.