Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paranoia Agent: Talk Back And Discussion Thread
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Pages: 1, 2
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I've been going on about Paranoia Agent (or Mousou dairinin) for a little while here so I though I should just make a thread about it.

This series is by Satoshi Kon who also directed Perfect Blue, Toyko Godfathers and Millennium Actress.

This is a great series that centers around a character named Shonen bat (or lil' slugger for the dub watchers). The first four episodes individually tell the story of four of Shonen bats victums. Especially, one who made a famous character akin to Hello Kitty, and it just keeps getting stranger from there.

I can't go into to too much detail because it would give away some spoilers and this anime must been seen to be believed. .... the quote below is an excerpt from the Wikipedia article about it, originally posted by Rosicrucian here.
Paranoia Agent (妄想代理人, Mōsō Dairinin?) is a Japanese anime television series created by director Satoshi Kon and produced by Madhouse about a social phenomenon in Musashino, Tokyo caused by a juvenile serial assailant named Lil' Slugger (Shōnen Bat, or Bat Boy in the original Japanese version). The plot relays between a large cast of people affected in some way by the phenomenon; usually Lil' Slugger's victims or the detectives assigned to apprehend him. As each character becomes the focus of the story, details are revealed about their secret lives and the truth about Lil' Slugger.

So if you like weird anime and enjoyed any of Satoshi Kons past works then check it out.
Jen_Elric
I've read about this anime before I found out that Adult Swim was going to show it. I thought it sounded interesting and definetely weird! I'm looking forward to seeing it!
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I was kind of suprised that Adult Swim is going to show it. I shouldn't be though, after FLCL I shouldn't be suprised by anything.

Well I shouldn't say that, if they started showing Urosukidouji I would be really suprised. laugh.gif
AlphonseRules
It's going to premiere on Adult Swim this Saturday at midnight. I'm really looking forward to this series. I saw a commercial on AS, it looks really dark and creepy. It's going to be on after Samurai Champloo, so I think that will be a solid hour for AS.
Ronaldo Rodregez
This is one anime I had to watch twice. It's quite interesting. Plus the music is fantastic. I hope they show the intro, at least.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I hope so too. The theme song is one of the best parts. But they are usually pretty good about showing the openings.
Rikku
i have heard quite a lot about this piticular (sp?)
anime but i haven't gotten any solid info on
it (i lke to research anime before i see it tongue.gif )
is it good?

OT:
and AS keeps coming up
what exactally is that? unsure.gif
AlphonseRules
OT:
QUOTE (Rikku @ May 26 2005, 05:36 PM) *
OT:
and AS keeps coming up
what exactally is that? unsure.gif

AS stands for Adult Swim which is a block on Cartoon Network that comes on at 11 pm. There is a lot of anime shown during AS along with comedy shows like Family Guy and Futurama.
Rikku
OT:
oh Adult Swim!
man i feel stupid blink.gif
i watch it all the time and i didn't even know
what they meant
i thought it was Anime Station or somrthin like that
*hits in head* "STUPID, STUPID"
Luckyalchemy27
This anime looks pretty creepy, but I shall watch it anyway!!

*shivers* I'm watching it now and it's freaking me out....
AlphonseRules
I was pretty boring for while and then all of the sudden it was real spooky. That was cool cause I got caught off guard a little. This first episode was ok but the boring parts were extremely boring.
edsgirl
It's one of those shows that gets better and better once you watch it all the way through. Just keep with it, because it gets far more interesting.
JudasPriest1
Man this anime is friggin wierd! If some kid came up behind me and tried to kill me I'd turn around and beat his face into the ground. I'd like to see him try to kill me.Thats just not right. Backhand the child. That's all he needs.
Ronaldo Rodregez
I hate how they didn't Translate things like the episode title, the posts on the message board saying she's faking, etc. How are people suposed to understand somethings?
Jen_Elric
This anime is weird, but I have seen weirder ones (like FLCL, which AS is showing again!! yay!). I liked it though. Was a bit boring, but I'll keep watching.
Luckyalchemy27
Is that pink dog lady okay in the head? Cuz I really hope she was imagining that stuffed toy was talking to her. blink.gif

Lil' Slugger's voice was really weird...the whole thing was freaky...
JudasPriest1
I think she's on pain medication. She's probably in Vikaden land.And let's hope she's not using Narco. She would be running into walls thinking she can walk through them or somthing.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
She was whacked on the head waaay to hard.
Luckyalchemy27
That would explain a lot.
Ronaldo Rodregez
QUOTE (Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jun 1 2005, 06:56 PM)
She was whacked on the head waaay to hard.

She got whacked in the leg.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Well I haven't seen that episode in a couple of months but didn't she hurt her leg when she fell then Shonen Bat beemed her in the head.

EDIT: Ok I just checked my torrent and while it doesn't show him striking her it's his m.o to strike people in the head.

Speaking of Shonen Bat.

My fave cosplay of Fanime
Gato Gurl914
omg that kid did a really good costume! blink.gif i watched it and i felt sorry for tsukio.... i liked maromi though, and i thought the opening was weird how everyone just stood around laughing....
Jen_Elric
Yeah, the opening is really weird! i was like, "what the...? They look crazy just standing there laughing!". The ending was weird too. Were they sleeping or dead?
Maes-Hughes
ya i didnt get that show at all not my type i guess
AlphonseRules
That old lady going through the garbage was kinda creepy. She was staring at that girl and then she was gone. Plus, I thought that she was weird looking.
Falling_Man
She gets whacked too, I think...

This is weird, but interesting. Also, do we know if Lil' Slugger is a kid or a older guy. The half-image we get of his face looks a little matured...
Ronaldo Rodregez
QUOTE (Jen_Elric @ Jun 2 2005, 11:05 AM)
Yeah, the opening is really weird!  i was like, "what the...?  They look crazy just standing there laughing!".  The ending was weird too.  Were they sleeping or dead?

Sleeping.

And how can you not love that opening? The song is godly and the animation concept fantastic.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE (Ronaldo Rodregez)
And how can you not love that opening? The song is godly and the animation concept fantastic.

I missed when they showed it on AS did they have subtitles for the song?
Luckyalchemy27

I really like the song, although the laughing was kinda creepy. And did anyone else but me notice that the characters almost always seemed to be standing somewhere where the background was some kind of disaster? A clue for the rest of the series, perhaps?

Also, I predict that in the end Maromi will come to life and kill everyone. laugh.gif
Rikku
QUOTE (Luckyalchemy27 @ Jun 3 2005, 09:34 PM)

I really like the song, although the laughing was kinda creepy. And did anyone else but me notice that the characters almost always seemed to be standing somewhere where the background was some kind of disaster? A clue for the rest of the series, perhaps?

Also, I predict that in the end Maromi will come to life and kill everyone. laugh.gif

i think that seems very possible at this point
and i was looking for info on the show and i found a pic with lil slugers hat off
he looked... old
Ronaldo Rodregez
QUOTE (Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jun 3 2005, 10:34 PM)
QUOTE (Ronaldo Rodregez)

I missed when they showed it on AS did they have subtitles for the song?

No. Why would they?
Luckyalchemy27
I still think that Maromi is evil. HE WILL CAUSE DEATH AND DESTRUCTION!!! Maybe he and Lil' Slugger will team up and destroy the world....O_o
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Ronaldo Rodregez @ Jun 4 2005, 08:49 AM)
No. Why would they?
[snapback]185133[/snapback]

Some channels do show the subtitles for songs.

The reason I asked was I noticed that a lot of people here are kind of confused by the begining. The song is a cheery little ditty about mushroom clouds which is why there is so much distruction going on in the background.
Luckyalchemy27
.......mushroom clouds? WTF??
Jen_Elric
Oh! Now the opening song makes SOME sense! LOL! Still is weird...
Anyways, last night's episode was just soo good! Who saw it?
That kid just lost his mind. A very psychological episode. But, stiil very good! happy.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
On a side note, in the sub version Mayumi Yamaguchi does the voice for Yuichi. If you don't reconize that name it's the same voice actress who does Envy in the sub of FMA.

I was in the kitchen when that episode of Paranoia Agent came on and could hear Yuichi speaking, I kept thinking 'Why does that voice sound familiar?' blink.gif
Ronaldo Rodregez
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jun 5 2005, 11:12 AM)
On a side note, in the sub version Mayumi Yamaguchi does the voice for Yuichi. If you don't reconize that name it's the same voice actress who does Envy in the sub of FMA.

Hah, how ironic.
And I'm guessing you meant Dub. =P
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE (Ronaldo Rodregez @ Jun 5 2005, 11:34 AM)
QUOTE (Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Jun 5 2005, 11:12 AM)

Hah, how ironic.
And I'm guessing you meant Dub. =P

Nope. tongue.gif

In the orginal Japanese version of PA she does Yuichi's voice. I also just found out she does one of the voices in Samurai Champloo. She's not one of the main voices and I think I might know who she played and if I'm right it's a character who was in the series for one or two episodes.
AlphonseRules
That Ishi kid was messed up. Once he wasn't Mr. Popular he started getting angry at a lot of stuff. Does anyone think that he is Lil' Slugger?
lialiakicks
Hmm... I thought Ishi was the Lil Slugger at first... But when Ishi actually meet the Lil Slugger, uh, no it just didn't add up.

Crap, this show is weird. Can't wait to see how it all adds up.

Did anyone see the fansub...? O_o
AlphonseRules
Yeah but when Lil' Slugger was getting away from him he just disappeared. I was thinking maybe Ishi was the Slugger but didn't know it yet. Just a thought.
Luckyalchemy27
In the end of ep 2, did Lil' Slugger actually attack Yuichi? Or was that just his imagination? Nevertheless, the poor kid's gone psycho. sad.gif
AlphonseRules
Well I think that Ishi is Lil' Slugger. So to me when Lil' Slugger hit Ishi, it was his imagination. But when he was attacking that other kid like Ishi wanted, I think that was Ishi.
lialiakicks
Aw, crap. How about I just don't know anymore... ;_____;
AlphonseRules
I don't know either. That is just what I think is happening out of quite a few possibilities.
With most shows I just wait to see what happens, but with Paranoia Agent I am trying figure out what is going to happen in the next episodes. The only problem is it's hard to figure out what is happening in the current episodes.
Luckyalchemy27
How could Yuichi be Lil' Slugger? He couldn't have gone crazy and done it, because he was of sound mind during the first attack. And he saw Lil' Slugger. He can't be in two places at once. Lil' Slugger taking Yuichi's appearance was probably just a trick to get the kid confused.

I heard that Lil' Slugger attacks people who aren't right in the head. At the end Ichi was going crazy, and it looked like he was attacked. He wouldn't have attacked himself.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Right.

You actually do find out what happens in the next episode.

I watched this one saturday and was really annoyed that they don't translate things like the "you're Shonen Bat" note Icchi recieved in his locker and the graffitti on his desk.
AlphonseRules
QUOTE (Luckyalchemy27 @ Jun 6 2005, 05:39 PM)
How could Yuichi be Lil' Slugger? He couldn't have gone crazy and done it, because he was of sound mind during the first attack. And he saw Lil' Slugger. He can't be in two places at once. Lil' Slugger taking Yuichi's appearance was probably just a trick to get the kid confused.

I heard that Lil' Slugger attacks people who aren't right in the head. At the end Ichi was going crazy, and it looked like he was attacked. He wouldn't have attacked himself.

Maybe he has a second personality and when he thought he saw Lil' Slugger, he was actually seing himself. Weird. blink.gif
Luckyalchemy27
Ugh...don't say things like that, you confuse my brain and I get all crazy....*rubs her temples*
Dreakon
Wow, the first episode didn't thrill me much at all but the second one was so much more interesting. That's some confusing stuff... laugh.gif.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.