Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Perfect Guide Book 2
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2
Murasaki
Um, I was just wondering if I was the only one who had this book... If I am, I could translate some of the interesting stuff out of it and post it somewhere... If anybody's interested of course. happy.gif I've already translated the timeline, and the gaiden chapter (Shishou mono gatari), and I'll post them up if anyone wants... I just haven't seen anything about it here yet, and was wondering if anyone was interested. happy.gif
AA battery
O____O *stalks you for the translation*
Chibi Viki
that would be great! i'm actually hopin you'd translate the info on mustang and hawkeye though happy.gif
-Kr!zY-
sounds cool! please translate it!!~ XD
Sensenic
QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ May 7 2005, 02:37 PM)
that would be great! i'm actually hopin you'd translate the info on mustang and hawkeye though happy.gif
[snapback]167996[/snapback]

This Perfect Guide 2, which is it? The DX one? Or another one I know nothing about?

Because I've been searchin' a little (not much) and I haven't found any Perfect Guide 2.
miss_neko
oh please do translate it!
Murasaki
QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ May 7 2005, 06:37 AM)

I'm planning on doing that too, since I like the two of them so much, I just haven't gotten there yet. That's the next thing I'm translating. happy.gif Well, that and 'Shinri-kun no heya'... Those are really funny. happy.gif

QUOTE(Sensenic @ May 7 2005, 03:03 PM)
This Perfect Guide 2, which is it? The DX one? Or another one I know nothing about?

Because I've been searchin' a little (not much) and I haven't found any Perfect Guide 2.

It's not the DX one, although I have that one too. happy.gif It's actually the sequel to the Perfect Guide, so it has all sorts of info on the characters (it goes more in-depth on the military than the first one did! <3), timelines, other random assorted info, and a gaiden chapter. happy.gif

For now, since I have yet to scan in the gaiden chapter, I'll just post my translation of the timeline (I'll scan it in later, when I scan the gaiden... happy.gif)

Here's the timeline up through 1900... I'll get the rest soon, but I'll need to format it differently, as it has three columns instead of two. happy.gif

Timeline

The impact of the past is very important in 'Hagaren'! We will now show you the connections between all of the events.

Prehistory -> 1860

There are many points in history more than 60 years beforehand that are unknown. However, from a small amount of hints, we are able to figure out the connection between these events.

YEAR----------------------------------EVENT

Prehistory-----------------------------The country of Xing is founded.
-----------------------------------------The country of Amestris is founded.
-----------------------------------------The capital of Xerxes collapses.
-----------------------------------------The Western Sage visits Xing.
-----------------------------------------The Eastern Sage visits Amestris.
-----------------------------------------"The Father" creates Pride.
-----------------------------------------Lust is created.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
More than 200 years before---------Greed is created.
-----------------------------------------Envy is created.
-----------------------------------------Sloth is created.
-----------------------------------------Gluttony is created.
About 100 years before--------------Greed leaves "The Father".
60 years before-----------------------Wrath is created.

1861 -> 1900

The families' records kept through their photographs.

YEAR----------------------------------EVENT

1866----------------------------------Pinako and Hohenheim become good friends.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1872----------------------------------Pinako gets married.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1873----------------------------------Pinako's son Yuri is born.
1885----------------------------------Mustang and Hughes are born.
1889----------------------------------A picture is taken of Pinako at work.
1893----------------------------------The Rockbell house is built. A picture is taken to commemorate.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About 20 years before--------------Wrath (King Bradley) becomes Fuhrer of the Amestris military.
----------------------------------------The country of Amestris fights with all of the surrounding nations one after another, and expands the area it governs.
----------------------------------------Hohenheim and Trisha meet and start living together.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1897----------------------------------Izumi and Sigu get married.
1898----------------------------------Izumi fails at human transmutation.
----------------------------------------Pinako's son marries Sara.
1899----------------------------------Edward and Winry are born.
About 15 years before--------------Ling is born.
1900----------------------------------Alphonse is born.

I'm not quite sure about 'Xerxes'... Is that how you're supposed to romanize it? I can't find it written anywhere... I'm also not sure about how to do Winry's father's name... Or her mother's... Oh well. happy.gif
miss_neko
oo Mustang and Hughes are born on the same year!! XD they must be childhood friends
Murasaki
Here's the rest of the timeline, up through just before the series really starts...

IPB Image

A couple things people might comment on, I'll just explain them now...

1. Rezembool. I know that there's a whole bunch of translations going around of this, and I don't know if it's ever actually written anywhere or not... So I'm going with how it's written on the map in this book. happy.gif

2. Reole. Same thing as Rezembool. happy.gif

3. I referred to Den as 'she'. This is because, in the character encyclopedia in the book, it says that she is female. happy.gif

That's all the things I can find that people might comment on, so there's my explanations of why I used those. happy.gif

...They were so young when Trisha died... I thought they were a little older than that...
Fullmetal Fangirl
That means Roys...um...25 in the Movie? Correct me if Im wrong, wich i probably am...anyways...I didnt know that there even were such thing as these books...i must get them...where DO you get them...eBay?!

Wow! GO DEN!!
Murasaki
QUOTE(Fullmetal Fangirl @ May 7 2005, 11:04 PM)
That means Roys...um...25 in the Movie? Correct me if Im wrong, wich i probably am...anyways...I didnt know that there even were such thing as these books...i must get them...where DO you get them...eBay?!
[snapback]168556[/snapback]

Um... They messed around with everything else for the anime, so I'm not sure how old he'd be in the movie... I don't know if they ever said. happy.gif

I personally bought all three books (Perfect Guide, Perfect Guide 2, Hagaren DX) and all the manga at Kinokuniya, a really big Japanese book store that's really close to me... I don't know if you can buy 'em on ebay... I haven't checked... happy.gif
Fullmetal Fangirl
OT

Well you're in CALIFORNIA!!

Why do half of us have to be on the other side of the PLANET...

no wait....its not...well i dunno where it is but STILL
Murasaki
OT

...Well, yeah, California is pretty cool like that... I have two huge book stores I can go to both less than 15 minutes away from me, and more if I decide to go up to LA and go to Little Tokyo... happy.gif
xrninja
OT

QUOTE (Murasaki @ May 7 2005, 11:27 PM)
...Well, yeah, California is pretty cool like that... I have two huge book stores I can go to both less than 15 minutes away from me, and more if I decide to go up to LA and go to Little Tokyo... happy.gif

dang, my side of california isn't that cool. XD

(by the way, i edited the thread title for you. smile.gif)
alchemist349
OT

What city do you live in and how much were the books?Don't worry, I won't go after you. I live in California too.
Murasaki
The books were about $10 each... Perfect Guide 2 was... $10.65 (according to the price sticker that I forgot to take off... happy.gif;; ), and the other two were around there as well. happy.gif

And, more on-topic, I'll try and translate some more info stuff tonight (probably the character encyclopedia, and the in-depth character descriptions of the military) and post it up tomorrow... Although, since I still have to finish my Mother's Day present... I might not be able to do it. happy.gif;;

OT:
QUOTE (xrninja @ May 7 2005, 11:57 PM)
(by the way, i edited the thread title for you. smile.gif)

Thank you! happy.gif

QUOTE (alchemist349 @ May 7 2005, 12:08 AM)
What city do you live in and how much were the books?Don't worry, I won't go after you. I live in California too.

Well, I don't like giving out my city to people I don't know really, really well, but I'll tell you that I live in Orange County (in southern California), and that all the Japanese stores I go to are in Costa Mesa and Fountain Valley... That's as much info as I'll give away, though. happy.gif

alchemist349
About the scans.I would like that.

OT:
It doesn't matter if you give me your city.Hell, I live in Visalia.
Murasaki
And I'll have scans up as soon as possible (I'll scan it tonight if I finish my present fast enough... happy.gif)

OT:
QUOTE (alchemist349 @ May 8 2005, 12:33 AM)
It doesn't matter if you give me your city.Hell, I live in Visalia.And about the scans.I would like that.

I just don't like giving out where I live, my last name, or my address to people I don't know really, really, really well (like, out of all the people I've ever talked to online, there are only 2 people that I'd put into that category), and I don't give out my first name except to my friends... I'm sorry if that upsets you or anything, but that's just how I am. happy.gif Plus, it doesn't matter where I live, if you're just wanting to go to the stores, right? happy.gif I can just tell you where the stores are...
xrninja
OT:

ahh, i live in the SF Bay Area and all we have is kinokuniya, and mine never seems to restock. are any of the stores you go to (other than kinokuniya) chains, murasaki?
Murasaki
OT:

QUOTE (xrninja @ May 8 2005, 12:43 AM)
ahh, i live in the SF Bay Area and all we have is kinokuniya, and mine never seems to restock. are any of the stores you go to (other than kinokuniya) chains, murasaki?

Hm... the other book store I go to a lot is called 'Sanseido'... I don't know if it's a chain or not, you'd have to look it up...
AA battery
o_O so Ed was only 5 and Al was only 4 when Trisha died...? o_O wow... so... their human translatation plan... took them 5 years of planning and they still failed... it makes me feel sooo bad for them ;____;

and wow, it becomes so much more clear with things now with that timeline there, thanks!!
Chibi Viki
Den is a SHE?!?! @.@

anyway, i'm pretty sure hiromu arakawa mentioned that Roy IS 29 (yonkoma in manga vol.2) so it can't be accurate w/ the anime.

ehehehe, can't wait for those roy and riza info! happy.gif and the gaiden...
miss_neko
QUOTE(Fullmetal Fangirl @ May 7 2005, 11:04 PM)

Wow! GO DEN!!
[snapback]168556[/snapback]

actually if you did the math right he should be 29 by the end of the serious. (well if the age for the manga is the same for the anime)
TheOneBlueGecko
OT:

QUOTE (Murasaki @ May 8 2005, 07:17 AM)
Well, I don't like giving out my city to people I don't know really, really well, but I'll tell you that I live in Orange County (in southern California), and that all the Japanese stores I go to are in Costa Mesa and Fountain Valley... That's as much info as I'll give away, though. happy.gif

Hey I am from Orange County also, Mission Veijo if you have heard of it (South County). I will have to try to check out the stores at some point.
NeoKakashi
If you zoom into Hughes' grave, it looks like it says he was born in 1884...

http://img114.echo.cx/img114/149/hughesage3pv.jpg
whoa... that's really hard to read... *makes a note to go home and check her manga*

(armor-alchemist @ school tongue.gif)
Wolfwoodspromise
OT:

hey i goto school out in the OC where are these bookstores you speak of? i would like to visit them myself.
Ninie
OT:

Sorry, wrong topic...

*exits quickly*
Murasaki
OT:

QUOTE (Wolfwoodspromise @ May 9 2005, 11:22 AM)
hey i goto school out in the OC where are these bookstores you speak of? i would like to visit them myself.

Kinokuniya is in Costa Mesa. That's the store I go to all the time, they're really, really good... They have a huge manga section, and they also have a fairly large children's section and a large magazine section. They also have some CD's, and some curious merchandise from various series (I bought a few Hagaren things there... They're kinda expensive, but they're worth it. happy.gif)

Here's the map:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searc...p;zipcode=92626

And... um... let me see... The other book store I go to is called 'Sanseido'. It's also in Costa Mesa (it's just a little ways down the street. happy.gif) It's inside of a grocery store, but it's still a very big book store... They don't have as much manga, though, and I don't know if they have the Perfect Guides or the DX book... They do have the manga, though.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searc...p;zipcode=92626

That's the map of where Mitsuwa is, Sanseido is inside.
NightMistress
QUOTE(NeoKakashi @ May 9 2005, 05:38 AM)
If you zoom into Hughes' grave, it looks like it says he was born in 1884...

http://img114.echo.cx/img114/149/hughesage3pv.jpg
[snapback]169302[/snapback]

Isn't the manga a year later than the anime though?
Murasaki
Okay, I'm really, really sorry for not posting in this long, but it's finals week, so I've been busy with that (and other stuff...). I was working on fixing up my scans of the gaiden, but then I went and saw that Umeko already posted it... So, I guess I don't have to post that. happy.gif However, I can post the rest of the stuff I scanned in. But, since I was working on the gaiden instead of translating the other information, all of these are still in Japanese. Sorry... I'll get around to translating 'em soon, unless somebody else cares to try. happy.gif

Here's what I have scanned so far:

IPB Image
The front cover. happy.gif

Character info stuff! happy.gif

Here's the character encyclopedia:
Page One
Page Two
Page Three
Page Four

And the character pages themselves (I only scanned in the military and the Xing group, 'cuz they're my favorites. happy.gif)

Roy and Hawkeye
Armstrong and Hughes
Havoc, Fuery and Falman
Breda and Ross

Ling, Mei, Fuu, and Ranfan (although it spells their names as 'Lin', 'May', 'Who', and 'Ranfun'... I'm a little unsure about those last two myself... o_O)

If there's any other characters anyone wants me to scan in, or if you just want me to get to work and translate these (I'm currently working on Hawkeye's, I already finished Roy's (mostly)), please just tell me! happy.gif
OMG, May Chang is a Xing Princess (Chang tribe)! Does that mean she will have to fight Lin? sad.gif
Sensenic
QUOTE(Murasaki @ May 17 2005, 09:03 AM)
I was working on fixing up my scans of the gaiden, but then I went and saw that Umeko already posted it... So, I guess I don't have to post that. happy.gif
[snapback]173885[/snapback]

Thanks a bunch!

Where's that gaiden, tho'? Me's silly and no can find (alth'o I'm searching for it right now). Tell me, please!

EDIT: Found it a little later, impatient me. happy.gif; Thx!
Murasaki
She posted it in this topic. happy.gif
miss_neko
oo thanks the sharing the pix Murasaki! n.n
NeoKakashi
Wait, so the encyclopedia shows every character who has their own character page? If so, I'd like to see Hohenheim, Scar, and Envy (doesn't the encyclopedia spell Envy's name wrong? The "bi" looks like a "u" with the little " mark instead of a "hi").
QUOTE(NeoKakashi @ May 17 2005, 08:25 PM)
Envy (doesn't the encyclopedia spell Envy's name wrong?  The "bi" looks like a "u" with the little " mark instead of a "hi").
[snapback]174488[/snapback]

Go practice your katakana again and ask your teacher about romanization. Envy is katakanized correctly in the perfect guide 2. dry.gif
Murasaki
The encyclopedia shows all characters, whether or not they have their own character page. The characters with pages are:

Ed
Al
Hohenheim
Izumi
Tucker
Marcoh
Winry
Pinako
Garfiel
Dominic
(I think) Paninya
Roy
Hawkeye
Armstrong
Hughes
Havoc
Breda
Ross
Falman
Fuery
Scar
Ling
May
Fuu
Ranfan
Lust
Envy
Gluttony
Greed
Wrath/King Bradley
Sloth
'Father'

So, I'll scan in Hohenheim, Envy, and Scar soon. happy.gif

And, actually, Envy's name is spelled E-n-vi (which is 'u' with the little diacritical mark, with a small 'i' next to it'). I think that they pronounce it as a 'bi' in the show sometimes, though... But it's still written with a 'vi'. happy.gif

...Of course, I can also scan in the weird assorted facts pages... There's all sorts of info on most topics, such as human alchemy (as they call it...), the Ishval war, becoming a state alchemist, and all sorts of other weird information... I'll try and scan in everything at some point. happy.gif
NeoKakashi
QUOTE(Guest @ May 17 2005, 10:30 PM)
QUOTE(NeoKakashi @ May 17 2005, 08:25 PM)
Envy (doesn't the encyclopedia spell Envy's name wrong?  The "bi" looks like a "u" with the little " mark instead of a "hi").
[snapback]174488[/snapback]

Go practice your katakana again and ask your teacher about romanization. Envy is katakanized correctly in the perfect guide 2. dry.gif
[snapback]174527[/snapback]

Oh yes, I remember, that's actually how you write "Vi," as Murasaki said. I was confused because in the anime they write it as "Enbii."

EDIT-Actually, looking over the credits, the anime does indeed have him listed as "Envi" as well. Oh well!
-Kr!zY-
cool~! thank you for posting those Murasaki!^.^
Zidan_chan
Wow, I really have to get my hands on this book. I enjoy translating, and I was just curious where you happened to run upon this Japanese guide to Hagaren.

I also have a question as well regarding Hagaren guide books and character books. I was looking through the forum for the Japanese Hagaren fan-sub and happened to stumble across the thread for Hagaren merchandis. One of the elder members posted picture of this interesting Japanese Hagaren book that he bought online. The book is entitled Hagaren no Rekinjutsushi Koudai (The Unvieling of Fullmetal Alchemist.) I did some searching online and managed to come across the book on Amazon Japan. I tried to read some of the reviews and it sounds as though the book dicusses the primary themes of the series as well as the characters. Has anybody come across this book before or has any idea what it is about. (I saw a sample page posted by a forum member and it said Roi Masutangu in katakana at the right hand corner. Sooo, I was guessing that it might be a character guide.) blink.gif
Hagaren Koudai

PS- I just discovered that there are Hagaren Japanese game novels. Has anybody seen these. It also looks as though Square Nix has a whole volume of books entitled: The Making of Hagaren.
Murasaki
QUOTE(Zidan_chan @ May 26 2005, 09:28 AM)
Wow, I really have to get my hands on this book. I enjoy translating, and I was just curious where you happened to run upon this Japanese guide to Hagaren.

I got all my books at my local Japanese bookstore, actually. happy.gif You could probably get them online somewhere too, but I don't know... happy.gif;;
Zidan_chan
QUOTE(Murasaki @ May 26 2005, 02:04 PM)
QUOTE(Zidan_chan @ May 26 2005, 09:28 AM)

I got all my books at my local Japanese bookstore, actually. happy.gif You could probably get them online somewhere too, but I don't know... happy.gif;;
[snapback]179960[/snapback]

Oooh, lucky. I would love to have a Japanese book-store near me. Luckily, I just found the second guide book on Amazon Japan as well as the first one. Hmm, I hope they take the euro. huh.gif
tinlunlau
i saw the japanese edition on sale in Toronto.
it's at Metro Square if you go up the escalators. there's a whole bunch of manga tankouban's in english and japanese. Perfect Guidebook #2 is there as well, selling for about $14 canadian.

there's also a "eigo no renkenjutsushi" book. don't know what that book is all about.
Umeko
QUOTE(tinlunlau @ May 31 2005, 04:46 PM)
i saw the japanese edition on sale in Toronto.
it's at Metro Square if you go up the escalators.  there's a whole bunch of manga tankouban's in english and japanese.  Perfect Guidebook #2 is there as well, selling for about $14 canadian.

there's also a "eigo no renkenjutsushi" book.  don't know what that book is all about.
[snapback]182996[/snapback]

It's an English drill book, I believe. :D Or something like that. It's for learning English, in any case.
Murasaki
It's very funny to get Eigo no Renkinjutsushi just to see all of the interesting things they've come up with in it...

Talking about Armstrong: 'We could actually consider him a normal man if he didn't take his clothes off all the time.'

About Winry: 'Her unintentional sex appeal is a sin.' and 'She gets excited when she sees a new automail, not Ed in his underwear.'

I've found it to be really funny to have as well... Even though I don't actually need it. happy.gif If anything, it helps me with my Japanese... happy.gif;;

The Hughes and Armstrong sections are funny... XD
Fullmetal Fangirl
Can we hear about Riza and Roy?

PLeassssssssssseeeeee~~~?
Maes-Hughes
QUOTE(Fullmetal Fangirl @ Jun 2 2005, 12:01 AM)
Can we hear about Riza and Roy?

PLeassssssssssseeeeee~~~?
[snapback]183987[/snapback]

when your done with all the needed translations when you have time can you translate Maes Hughes page ? thanks
Aoko-chan
It would be really nice if you did ^^

@Murasaki: LoL..Winry doesn't get excited when she sees Ed in his underwear XD!!! at least, I would.
SweetJanie
You and me both rolleyes.gif ... and a bunch of other fangirls. :squeees:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.