Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 25 Discussion, Season Finale!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
TheVileOne
This is it guys, the season finale for Fullmetal Alchemist in its initial Adult Swim run. Don't worry, episode 26 will apparently air next week before the break, but this episode marks the end of the season, that we've been waiting 6 months to see.

Well a lot of things that were building up and climaxed over the course of the series were resolved in the last episode. Despite some tension, the bond of the Elric brothers remains strong and they are determined to continue their quest. Scar has migrated with some other Ishbalans. However, don't forget what happened at the 5th Laboratory. The Elric brothers are caught up in something really nasty, and it seems now that the Fuhrer's secretary is obviously not human and is in on it. Don't think we've seen the last of Scar because he is a wanted criminal and #1 on the military's most wanted list.

I hope you guys have tons of tissue stacked up, if you thought past episodes were brutal and emotional . . . you have not seen anything yet wink.gif .

NOTE: This episode features a special ending-animation-less ending as it marks the end of the season.
Edo-mame
What a "nice" way to end a season dry.gif While I didn't like what was going on in this episode, I loved it because it was so beautifully done, especially at the end where it starts to rain. I can honestly say that I have never cried watching anime before(or anything else for the matter) until this episode. Sure, I have gotten teary eyed watching sad moments in anime but never to the point that tears would flow. It is definitely worth the wait though I'm not sure if I liked the fact that it happened so early into the series(though its alreadyt at the halfway mark). I really miss that character sad.gif
Kirara
I am really glad they are including the entire ending. It is very important for this episode. I can do without the full opening too because its not like we haven't seen it 24 other times. Good choice Adult Swim.
ymsg
This is gonna suck. I'm having two friends come over, getting the mountain box of tissues (Giant size) and we're gonna make a party of it. x_x

[spoiler] From what everyone tells me, it's not Hughes's death itself that gets you going, it's the funeral. I'm gonna sob buckets, I know it! x_x [/spoiler]

This is going to be an awful way to end a season. Hey, TheVileOne, do you know when the next season is starting up again?
Dragons04
I will going to find out when, okay?
TheVileOne
QUOTE(ymsg @ Apr 30 2005, 04:29 PM)
This is gonna suck. I'm having two friends come over, getting the mountain box of tissues (Giant size) and we're gonna make a party of it. x_x

[spoiler] From what everyone tells me, it's not Hughes's death itself that gets you going, it's the funeral. I'm gonna sob buckets, I know it! x_x [/spoiler]

This is going to be an awful way to end a season. Hey, TheVileOne, do you know when the next season is starting up again?
[snapback]163655[/snapback]

Well technically its not the end since episode 26 will probably be shown next weekend. They are going to show reruns over the weekdays though. I heard new episodes would start in September. Sometime in the fall I suppose.
Mustang's Apprentice
TINY SPOILERS AHEAD

Yeah, the funeral is 10X sadder than the death.

Also in this episode, we find out more about Roy's past, sorta.

My kid brother(a rabid FMA fan for some reason) has no idea what's going to happen...

The character who dies is one of his favorites.
JaMalle
Can someone post a spoiler about the secretary? It's very weird and I'm really curious about her. She can't be an homunculous can she? Her powers didn't seem alchemic like so what's the deal with her?
Thanks in advance!
Hawkeyes counterpart
*takes a big sigh of relief* [spoiler]finally, I thought huegh's death would never come^_^, not like I wanted him to die sad.gif . I read it on the manga such a long time ago!! I am actually prepared to cry this time *brings out the econo size box of tissues*[/spoiler]

mod edit: edited for spoilers. please refrain from posting any untagged spoilers before the episode airs tonight.
TheVileOne
Guys. I'd appreciate it if you could block out or be a little more discreet with the content of this episode. I know its great and everything, but some people haven't seen it yet.

to type spoiler text stuff type out the word spoiler in brackets [] . Then the spoiler text. Then /spoiler inside the brackets again [] .
ymsg
Thanks for the information regarding the startup. I'm armed with sugar and tissues; it's gonna be a long night.
Luckyalchemy27
*sets several tissue boxes in different places around the room*
I'm makin' popcorn for this one, guys! Crack out the soda and M&M's! I already know what's gonna happen cuz a long time ago I read a spoiler...I have a feeling that I'm going to break down crying.....this show always just breaks my heart. I'm gonna MIIIISSS HIMMM! *hugs dog, already tearing up*
*dog: Uhh...calm down. The show hasn't even started yet*
Hagane no Renzy
lol, dog

*cough* Umm, yah. I saw this one dubbed. Five star episode it really yanks out your heart strings, throws 'em on the ground and stomps on them. SEVERAL times, people--several.

And what everyone says is true--(written in yellow)
The funeral for --teh dood-- is much more heart wrenching than the death.

God, FMA is just one giant bubbly gooey ball of angst. Good, or bad? More on that at ten-thirty, ONLY on fullmetal-alchemist.com.
Glam
T.T I'm so going to cry tonight...>.> but then my dad will think im crazy or something...O.O i'm so going to tape this... Does anyone know how long the haitis is?
Luckyalchemy27
*paces around the room* Argh! I can't wait three hours! *Sets up more tissues and roots through the pantry for chocolate* Where are the flippin' M&M's????
~FMAgurl~
NOOOO!!!! it happened!!! I knew it was gonna happen, but I cried anyway. It wasn't really the part when he died..[spoiler]it was when Elysia kept telling her dad to wake up..*cries again* it was sooo sad! I got a lil mad when Ed was saying all that stuff about Hughes after he died.[/spoiler] It was so tragic that that episode didn't even play the ending! sad.gif
Full Plastic Alchemist
On another note there was a major error in this episode.

Ed said "we have to go see our master" "he is south of here"

it was something like that

But ed said HE when we know his master is a SHE

Oh boy would she be pissed if she heard ed say that, izumi would beat the crap out of ed

also mustangs voice was terrible today.... i used to love the dub... now im starting to hate it sad.gif
Luckyalchemy27
*starts trembling, tears running down face*
Oh my god....oh my god...
I knew it was going to happen....
But I never imagined...
I'm serious- I actually cried. As soon as he started to fall.
Then, at the funeral, I just broke down. That was the most terrible thing I'd ever seen.
And when Ed saw him, on the train. The music at the end was perfect.

I'm really going to miss him.
~FMAgurl~
Another thing....was Roy really going to perform a human transmutation? Who was he going to try to bring back?
Azura Elric
*crying a lot*

They cut out a lot of stuff, geez -.- .
We'll never forget you Maes Hughes!!
Luckyalchemy27
Another thing....was Roy really going to perform a human transmutation? Who was he going to try to bring back?

I believe that he was going to try and bring back the people that he had killed during the war.

But if I'm wrong, well, all I have to say is:

The plot thickens.
Full Plastic Alchemist
QUOTE(JaMalle @ Apr 30 2005, 02:16 PM)
Can someone post a spoiler about the secretary? It's very weird and I'm really curious about her. She can't be an homunculous can she? Her powers didn't seem alchemic like so what's the deal with her?
Thanks in advance!
[snapback]163824[/snapback]

[spoiler] Juliet Douglas is a homonculus named sloth, she can make her body turn into water like. She is also the homonculus created by ed and al, when they tried to bring their mother back (hence the resemblence to trisha elric) Remember the episode where al was like, "i just heard mom" that was because the secretary was there.*edit*oh yea and jamalle homonculi cant do alchemy except for wrath and he can only because he has eds limbs [/spoiler]

I wished they had the ending music XD
psycho alchemist
that episode of fullmetal just ruined my night. now i'm all sad and depressed and stuff and cant enjoy myself.
"daddy wake up!" so sad sad.gif
Luckyalchemy27
Okay, I know that this is really off-subject, but I saw the commercial for the two FMA DVDs like three times while watching this, and does anyone know where I can get them?? I need to be able to see this again, and cruddy VHS recordings won't cut it.
~FMAgurl~
*continues to cry* *sniffles* *stops crying* ok...there. I'm done crying until i watch it again later at 2:30.
Animeoldtimer
sad.gif Such a sad story. I really liked Hughes too.

Luckyalchemy27, I saw the videos in a store in the mall called FHE. I am sure other places have them as well.
TheVileOne
QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ May 1 2005, 04:11 AM)
[snapback]164169[/snapback]

No. He was too scared to do it. He was afraid of dying.

I love the symbolism at the end where Ed has a vision of Hughes wishing Ed good luck, and farewell.
Luckyalchemy27
I'm really glad that they promoted Hughes to Brigadier General. "Brigadier General Hughes" fits him.
*sigh* I can't wait until 1:30. I am now contenting myself with listening to "Away From the Sun" by Three Doors Down endlessly. I love that song.
jarjar111
Ya this episode was one of the most depressing...... unsure.gif sad.gif I have a question though, did they edit the scene with Scar and the bikers? Does he make their heads explode? Also, you guys keep talking about a break and season finale and what not but when you click here:

http://schedule.adultswim.com/servlet/Sche...emist&filter=as

It says that "Her Reason" is next, sure it might be on for a couple of weeks but still? Can someone fill me in on this? Also does anybody watch Ghost In the Shell:Stand Alone Complex? <Another depressing episode sad.gif

Talk to you guys tom.

Night
Luckyalchemy27
I love the symbolism at the end where Ed has a vision of Hughes wishing Ed good luck, and farewell.

That was my favorite part.
Animeoldtimer
Interesting, They have "Her Reason" on the schedule, but they did not have a preview.
~FMAgurl~
QUOTE(Luckyalchemy27 @ May 1 2005, 12:25 AM)
Okay, I know that this is really off-subject, but I saw the commercial for the two FMA DVDs like three times while watching this, and does anyone know where I can get them?? I need to be able to see this again, and cruddy VHS recordings won't cut it.
[snapback]164180[/snapback]

I think you can get them at Suncoast. I'm not completely sure though.
ymsg
Well, it's happened at last. The moment we've awaited with dread for the past six months... and Hughes is gone. All I can say without getting all worked up again is, rest in peace, Brigideer General Maes.
When they showed Maes waving it was more of him imagining them returning. As they passed and Ed looked out the train to see if he was still there was symbolism of well...you know.
fullmetal_gradstudent
Gotta give props to AS for taking the hit and showing the entire intro + the entire ending (minus next episode's preview, but that's pretty forgivable). I was a little disappointed in Roy's VA on this one, and it seemed like they warped that line about it starting to rain. (Isn't the point that Roy's making excuses for his tears? The dub totally lost that connotation.) Anyway, I think they did a pretty decent job with a very difficult and important episode.
[Thanks Full Plastic. I had an inkiling of what you said.
HimuraKenshin979
Saddest.... episode..... ever. I want to die. I loved Hughes so much... he was such a good person. Oh god... here come the tears again... damn it!!!
«°~Gluttony™~°»
QUOTE(HimuraKenshin979 @ Apr 30 2005, 09:53 PM)
Saddest.... episode..... ever.  I want to die.  I loved Hughes so much...  he was such a good person.  Oh god... here come the tears again...  damn it!!!
[snapback]164240[/snapback]

how can you cry cause a animated person died huh.gif tongue.gif but even thou I don't get that emtional on anime's I didn't expect him to die.
AlphonseRules
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Damn it Hughes shut the hell up! Just shut up!"
That's what I kept saying when Hughes was walking down the hall behind Ms. Douglas. What the hell is the matter with him, he pretty much knew that he was going to die. Then when he got Envy in the throat with his knife I was just like "Please be dead. Please be dead", even though I knew that she wasn't. Man this sucks, Hughes is such a great person too. I don't know what was worse, waiting to see if he would actually die, or the funeral afterwords with all the sadness.
GRRRR! Did I mention that this sucks.
LoMXD
Envy is such a * beep* Hughs was a very cool person.
How could he do such a thing? sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
Obcessed Mechanic
How, how could Major Hughes die? I was sobbing, practically. That man was a Saint. And how cruel of Envy to take the form of his wife and then shoot him! And poor, poor Elysia, not knowing what was going on! How sad, sad! *wears total black* One of the best characters of Full Metal Alchemist, being shot. The insanity of it all! T__T
kungfustickman
QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 30 2005, 10:14 PM)
When they showed Maes waving it was more of him imagining them returning. As they passed and Ed looked out the train to see if he was still there was symbolism of well...you know.
[snapback]164216[/snapback]

No I think they did a horible job. Did anyone else notice those weird cuts? And the weird voices at the end didn't seem right. For some reason I felt a bit cheated. (watched the original) But the original episode itself was a good one. Not to complain or anything... I liked Hughes too.
AlphonseRules
I didn't notice anything with the voices.
Remember in the preview for this episode(last week) when it showed Al and Ed crying on the train with a purple haze around their heads? I don't remember seeing that in the episode. Did I just miss it, or was that a cut, or something from a future episode.
LoMXD
hey I remember that too, I wonder why they didn't show it.
Edo-mame
^I think it was near the beginning of the episode where they talk about why they aren't going to see their sensei (or do they call that person master in the dub?). If I'm not correct, this scene takes place right after they board the train. They talk about how they will be killed if their sensei finds out that they performed human transmutation and Edo became a dog of the military and that they want to live longer and Al wants to fall in love before he dies:lol:

QUOTE(fullmetal_gradstudent @ Apr 30 2005, 11:22 PM)
Gotta give props to AS for taking the hit and showing the entire intro + the entire ending (minus next episode's preview, but that's pretty forgivable).  I was a little disappointed in Roy's VA on this one, and it seemed like they warped that line about it starting to rain. (Isn't the point that Roy's making excuses for his tears?  The dub totally lost that connotation.)  Anyway, I think they did a pretty decent job with a very difficult and important episode.
[snapback]164226[/snapback]

What exactly did Roy say in that scene? I don't get AS and watched the sub so Roy's line was "It's raining" and it shows the "rain" on his face.

QUOTE(«°~Gluttony™~°» @ May 1 2005, 12:03 AM)
Saddest.... episode..... ever.  I want to die.  I loved Hughes so much...  he was such a good person.  Oh god... here come the tears again...  damn it!!!

how can you cry cause a animated person died huh.gif tongue.gif but even thou I don't get that emtional on anime's I didn't expect him to die.
[snapback]164242[/snapback]

Well, if you can cry for a live character from a show/movie, whats the difference if the character is animated? I have never cried watching anything before and I still cried during the funeral scene to the ending. Not bawling or anyhting but still there were tears, Hughes was such a great and loved character.
LoMXD
QUOTE(«°~Gluttony™~°» @ Apr 30 2005, 11:03 PM)

[snapback]164242[/snapback]

Well, at a part as sad as any funeral real or not it still is sad. so many people cared for hughs, and some idiot*cough* envy*cough* took him away from his family. I cry alot when I watch anime characters die, and I'm sure ther is nothing wrong with it 9 besides the fact that crying too much gives a major head ache)
CursedAnubis
Hughes showed some awesome knife throwing and wielding skills... Dammit, if only homunculi could be killed. Yeah, I don't think it was very smart of Hughes to keep going on about Juliet Douglas like that; he probably knew that it was very dangerous and might end up wounded though. Hmm, he probably fired Schizeca in a hurry in order to keep her protected. *grumble grumble* Envy you stupid bastard dry.gif

Brigadier General Hughes...
A great father, husband, and friend up to the very end
TheVileOne
That's why he kept Roy in the dark as well, so he could protect him to make sure he would still be around to fix things and get to the top.
Suyuki
Okay, I'm sure this has been asked billions of times, so sorry if it has o_o;;
Anyway, I'm an American veiwer who has only been able to see the Adult Swim dubbed version of FMA. I see people all over the place complaining about the dubs, and with the show ending for a while and all (while I personally wish it would air more because I desperately want to see the end), I was just wondering: if you live in America, where can you buy the Japanese subtitled versions of FMA? I just don't want to wait until the dubs start again, and I don't want to miss out by watching them if the origionals are that much better.

So there's my question. Once again, sorry if it's been asked too many times already.

Oh, and I do agree that Hughes' funeral was what really got to me ;-; Poor little Alicia. But is it just me, or did they not show the bullet hole when Envy shot Hughes? His arm was sort of covering his heart, so wouldn't a lethal shot have to be to the head, then?
TheVileOne
Holy crap, they actually cut a scene out of the episode for the TV airing?! WTF!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.