Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Final Fantasy 8 Was Godawful
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Game
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Carnal Malefactor
that's that
Quistis88
I didn't vote because none of the choices applied to me.

It wasn't all that bad. laugh.gif I actually liked the Junction system, because I didn't have to spend endless hours training the characters. Though there are disadvantages in the system, they can be overcome if you plan carefully. The soundtrack is one of my favorites and the plot wasn't the pits, per se.

Of course, the female lead is absolutely disgusting, and there was little to no character development whatsoever (except for Squall, who does an unbelievable almost-360 personality change, which made me dislike him more and more as the game went on).

Weaponry wasn't the greatest (with the gunblade being an odd concept in and of itself), and it took forever to get the weapons you wanted.

Some of the abilities and magic spells are nice, especially Degenerator. biggrin.gif

Graphics were all right. I wasn't completely impressed or anything, but they did add to the gameplay slightly.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Hated it!

It was so long and boring. I agree with Quistis that there was no character development. I was so glad when that game was over of course that was back in the day when I had to finish a game.

Not to mention I spent a good chunck of the game wanting to beat Squall with a 2x4. Shut up you angsty bitch!
Quistis88
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Apr 28 2005, 01:55 PM)
It was so long and boring.

Yes, not much really happens all too quickly. I started FFVIII way before I even started FFIX, and to this day, FFIX is the only FF game I've finished completely. I'm still at the last battle in FFVIII last time I checked.

QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Apr 28 2005, 01:55 PM)
Not to mention I spent a good chunck of the game wanting to beat Squall with a 2x4.  Shut up you angsty bitch!

Ahh, yes. I did enjoy those moments where I did not have Squall in my party. biggrin.gif
Carnal Malefactor
I also blame Squall for the phenomenon of male leads in FF games getting progressively gayer looking.
Quistis88
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Apr 28 2005, 02:18 PM)
I also blame Squall for the phenomenon of male leads in FF games getting progressively gayer looking.

Certainly explains where Tidus came from . . . that or Tetsuya Nomura, after the failure of Squall's character design, became so depressed that he was constantly on crack, and thus kept producing crack-induced designs of male leads.

That or the failure of Squall motivated him to keep trying the concept until people accepts it.
hitokiri
well other than the points already mentioned i hate ff9 primarily for the concept of the gunblade... why you would throw gunshots in to a slashing combo? a gunshot is puny damage compared to what a sword could do in close range combat, and if you had a gun at long range you should never had allowed the target to get to close range to begin with.
The Colonel's Girl
i just loved the game!! to me it was pretty good.
Sith lord Revan 64
I hated 8 the graphics were soso they looked wierd compared to 9 and is very boring.
mongooseboi
i thought ff8 had a lot of potential, being that the squall and riona story line was pretty interesting. unlike other FFs, they openly admit their love for each other, which is what i wanted so dearly from 7. also, i liked how the story progressed, and how riona and squall eventually fell for each other. also, FF8 had the best minigame known to the final fantasy series. i used to play final fantasy 8 just to challenge npcs to card matches. enough postivies, the bad things about FF8 include: seed ranking? lame. money? lame. junctioning? confusing, and it caused me to never use magic spells because i didn't want my GFs to lose their special abilities. also i didn't like the part where somehow all the characters forgot their childhood because they used GFs. i mean...please...that is the worst idea ever. for ff8, you either loved it or hated it, no inbetweens :]
vazel
though i didn't like the gameplay that much the story, art, and music were awesome.
Fresh_Coffee
I hated Final Fantasy 8 it was Godawful and unlike Quis I hated the game play and I didn't like Squall or Rinoa the only person I think I liked was Quistis. XD Though the graphics were great compared to FF7.
Quistis88
QUOTE(Fresh_Coffee @ Apr 29 2005, 01:23 PM)
I hated Final Fantasy 8 it was Godawful and unlike Quis I hated the game play and I didn't like Squall or Rinoa the only person I think was Quistis. XD Though the graphics were great compared to FF7.

Once you figure out the Junction system, it's not so bad. biggrin.gif Yes, the only good character in that game was Quistis. Rinoa really ticks me off . . . thus, I hope I never see Rinoa cosplayers in person, else they'll have to call security.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Apr 29 2005, 12:31 PM)
Once you figure out the Junction system, it's not so bad.  biggrin.gif  Yes, the only good character in that game was Quistis.  Rinoa really ticks me off . . . thus, I hope I never see Rinoa cosplayers in person, else they'll have to call security.
[snapback]163059[/snapback]

Never go to an anime convention then. Apparently there was once so many Rinoa cosplayers that it was called the 'Rinoa holocaust'. I also liked Quistis the best but considering who the other characters were that's not saying much.
Quistis88
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Apr 29 2005, 01:36 PM)
Never go to an anime convention then. Apparently there was once so many Rinoa cosplayers that it was called the 'Rinoa holocost'.  I also liked Quistis the best but considering who the other characters were that's not saying much.

"Rinoa Holocaust", eh?

Now I want to go just to kill them all.
Fresh_Coffee
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Apr 29 2005, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Apr 29 2005, 12:31 PM)
Once you figure out the Junction system, it's not so bad.  biggrin.gif  Yes, the only good character in that game was Quistis.  Rinoa really ticks me off . . . thus, I hope I never see Rinoa cosplayers in person, else they'll have to call security.
[snapback]163059[/snapback]

Never go to an anime convention then. Apparently there was once so many Rinoa cosplayers that it was called the 'Rinoa holocost'. I also liked Quistis the best but considering who the other characters were that's not saying much.
[snapback]163060[/snapback]

Why? Are these people crazy.. Rinoa stinks. They should all cosplay of Quistis she has a pretty cool outfit.
Quistis88
QUOTE(Fresh_Coffee @ Apr 29 2005, 01:46 PM)
Why? Are these people crazy.. Rinoa stinks. They should all cosplay of Quistis she has a pretty cool outfit.

The problem is that people are lazy. biggrin.gif I dare say that Quistis' attire is the most complex one from FFVIII other than Edea's (if you include her head decoration). For females, that is. It cannot compare to Squall's six belts.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Fresh_Coffee @ Apr 29 2005, 12:46 PM)
[snapback]163064[/snapback]

Yeah but it's an easy costume and they all want to go out with Squall for some strange reason.
Quistis88
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Apr 29 2005, 01:49 PM)
Yeah but it's an easy costume and they all want to go out with Squall for some strange reason.

Now that I think about it, you'd practically have to be as whiny and insistent as Rinoa to get in Squall's pants. They're such tight pants, too. What does he need all those belts for?
Fresh_Coffee
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Apr 29 2005, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Apr 29 2005, 01:49 PM)

Now that I think about it, you'd practically have to be as whiny and insistent as Rinoa to get in Squall's pants. They're such tight pants, too. What does he need all those belts for?
[snapback]163076[/snapback]

He is just that cool.

A lot of girls think Squall is "hot" although all I see is an anti-social person. huh.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(Fresh_Coffee @ Apr 29 2005, 02:17 PM)
He is just that cool.

A lot of girls think Squall is "hot" although all I see is an anti-social person.  huh.gif

Squall's too girly. biggrin.gif I prefer Seifer.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Apr 29 2005, 01:21 PM)
He is just that cool.

A lot of girls think Squall is "hot" although all I see is an anti-social person.  huh.gif

[snapback]163092[/snapback]

I had a little thing for Irvine.............but I got over it.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Apr 29 2005, 08:46 PM)
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Apr 29 2005, 01:21 PM)
He is just that cool.

[snapback]163092[/snapback]

I had a little thing for Irvine.............but I got over it.
[snapback]163103[/snapback]

Thank god for that... that guy's definitely down with the swirl.
edsgirl
I actually liked Rinoa,Quistis and Irvine's characters. The rest of the game sucked in my opinion and just wasn't up to par for a FF game. Quistis is going to kill me, Rinoa fangirl tongue.gif Squall was such a little bitch through most of the game, that it almost made me want to quit halfway through. Why couldn't they just leave Cloud sad.gif
Carnal Malefactor
How many times did Rinoa get kidnapped over the course of this game? 4? 5?
Ridiculous.
Fresh_Coffee
@_@ I stopped playing halfway I don't even remember how many times Rinoa got kidnapped.
Quistis88
QUOTE(Fresh_Coffee @ Apr 30 2005, 02:01 PM)
@_@ I stopped playing halfway I don't even remember how many times Rinoa got kidnapped.

When she had to be rescued the second time, I gave up on the mere notion of counting. You just know it's going to happen repeatedly, and therefore, it is a waste of time to count if you still want to play the game.
Hagane no Renzy
*says with slight shyness* I'm kinda afraid of getting burned here, especially since I'll be the first in the thread to say this with much emphasis: I LOVED ff8. It, in my opinion, had the best music and ending FF-wise. And I love Selphie and her train obession. w00t

But seriously, I can understand why most people hate it...i guess. I hated it at first but then got hooked.

...mind you, it doesn't even come close to FF7 or FF9's standards. tongue.gif
hitokiri
QUOTE(Hagane no Renzy @ Apr 30 2005, 08:00 PM)
...mind you, it doesn't even come close to FF7 or FF9's standards.  tongue.gif
[snapback]163943[/snapback]

see i still don't see what the big deal with ff7 is.... to me its just popular cause it was the first to be 3d and all the sephiroth fanboys.... when it comes down to it the mechanics and gameplay of ff9 were better, plus there was none of that gay chocobo inbreeding.
Fresh_Coffee
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Apr 30 2005, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE(Hagane no Renzy @ Apr 30 2005, 08:00 PM)
...mind you, it doesn't even come close to FF7 or FF9's standards.  tongue.gif
[snapback]163943[/snapback]

see i still don't see what the big deal with ff7 is.... to me its just popular cause it was the first to be 3d and all the sephiroth fanboys.... when it comes down to it the mechanics and gameplay of ff9 were better, plus there was none of that gay chocobo inbreeding.
[snapback]163948[/snapback]

I actually like the Chocobo breeding it was fun.
Quistis88
QUOTE(Hagane no Renzy @ Apr 30 2005, 06:00 PM)
*says with slight shyness* I'm kinda afraid of getting burned here, especially since I'll be the first in the thread to say this with much emphasis: I LOVED ff8. It, in my opinion, had the best music and ending FF-wise. And I love Selphie and her train obession. w00t

I also like FFVIII more than the average person. biggrin.gif As for the title of "best ending", I cannot decide between FFVIII's or FFIX's.

FFVIII does have one of the best soundtracks, along with FFIX. I see the two scores as the peak of Nobuo Uematsu Sakai's biggrin.gif career. He didn't do anything solo after that and I guess his creative juices stopped flowing, though the opening to FFXI is stunning. Other than that, he hasn't achieved too much since FFIX in terms of game music composing.

QUOTE(hitokiri @ Apr 30 2005, 06:13 PM)
see i still don't see what the big deal with ff7 is.... to me its just popular cause it was the first to be 3d and all the sephiroth fanboys....  when it comes down to it the mechanics and gameplay of ff9 were better, plus there was none of that gay chocobo inbreeding.

I also think that FFVII is largely overrated, and its loyal fanboys are definitely something to fear/laugh at. Of course, I haven't finished the game because I lost interest after a while. At least FFVIII had something that kept me going (though to this day, I still don't know what it is).
CursedAnubis
I loved FF8 and I'm not afraid to say it. I thought it was so much better than FF7; However, there were weird story points in FF8, like how they all came from the same orphanage... wth?
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Apr 30 2005, 05:20 PM)
I also think that FFVII is largely overrated, and its loyal fanboys are definitely something to fear/laugh at.  Of course, I haven't finished the game because I lost interest after a while.  At least FFVIII had something that kept me going (though to this day, I still don't know what it is).
[snapback]163951[/snapback]

See, I loved FF7. I thought it had a great story. It was dark, most of the characters were likeable. But, it was the first RPG I had ever played so that may be the reason it was my favorite of the series. I've found that with most people their first RPG is always their favorite.

Plus, Sephiroth is to die for. tongue.gif But that could be my men-with-long-hair fetish too. laugh.gif
Hagane no Renzy
I really loved FF7. It was just...so classic. Filled with wonderful color, music (although it was a little midi-ish) and unforgettable villians and characters. I just love it, and it definately has the most tragic moment in any FF game created. I think we all know what that is though.
Fresh_Coffee
The only thing I hate about FVII was the ending but then that's why Advent children is coming out. Though I have to agree it's overrated.
Hagane no Renzy
Yah, the ending was kind of...esh.

And this is completely errelevant, (sp?) but Coffee, i MUST know what anime your avatar is from cuz i luvez it! lol
Black Rose
I loved the storyline, I think it's one of my favs because of the storyline, it was a nice change from action,action,action all the time, and I loved the ending espesh the recording of them at the Balamb party
The Colonel's Girl
although i did enjoy FF8, i too hated rinoa. she was just too much of the damsel in distress kind of character, and i was hoping that you could kill her while you're fighting against adel, but no, if you did, game over! quistis was the best character. the only thing that i don't get about final fantasy is, why do they put the most helpless female characters in the games, with the exception of:
Yuffie, Tifa, and Aeris from 7
Quistis and Selphie from 8
Garnet and Freya from 9
Yuna, Rikku, and Lulu from 10
and Yuna, Rikku, and Paine from 10-2

this has bothered me for awhile, so if any could answer this, thank you.
Bacon of your Existence
QUOTE(The Colonel's Girl @ May 3 2005, 10:21 PM)
although i did enjoy FF8, i too hated rinoa. she was just too much of the damsel in distress kind of character, and i was hoping that you could kill her while you're fighting against adel, but no, if you did, game over! quistis was the best character. the only thing that i don't get about final fantasy is, why do they put the most helpless female characters in the games, with the exception of:
Garnet and Freya from 9

[snapback]165963[/snapback]

Uhm... isn't that a list of every FF female character in the past 5 games, other than Rinoa? blink.gif
ZaKai
It's really sad in a way that FF8 didn't live up to all the hype it produced before it was released. I think the best thing about that game was the demo. It made you believe in something better... In any case, the game sucked. The gamer in me tells me I should just finish the game to say I've finished it, but...

As for FF7, I think the game was pretty good. I really liked the materia system, plus the plot seemed to progress pretty well, but the ending really did suck. At least they did better on FF9.
The Colonel's Girl
QUOTE(Bacon of your Existence @ May 4 2005, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE(The Colonel's Girl @ May 3 2005, 10:21 PM)
Garnet and Freya from 9

[snapback]165963[/snapback]

Uhm... isn't that a list of every FF female character in the past 5 games, other than Rinoa? blink.gif
[snapback]166125[/snapback]

there's also the FF-XII characters, but i'm not wanting to name them all. also the first 6, i never got into, and tatics, you were able to hire soldiers, and it was more of a tatics game than anything.

i think the reason that many don't like ff8, is that the plot sucked (which, i, an avid fan, also agrees on), but also if they had kept it at it's original M-rating, it probably would never have sold at all. Plus in the M-rating, you start out different. Rinoa is a student at Balamb and helps you in the Dollet SeeD mission. and they don't wear their SeeD uniforms. You don't even meet Selphie until later.
Quistis88
QUOTE(The Colonel's Girl @ May 13 2005, 10:52 PM)
Plus in the M-rating, you start out different. Rinoa is a student at Balamb and helps you in the Dollet SeeD mission. and they don't wear their SeeD uniforms. You don't even meet Selphie until later.

Where did you get this information? huh.gif Was that what the plot was originally going to be like? I do not think I have heard of anything quite like that. The only difference I have seen in the game is between the PS version and the PC version.

They should have just kept Selphie out altogether.
Jing103
The Colonel's Girl, I have one thing to say about your last post. What are you talking about? M-rating??? Explain please. huh.gif

I liked FF8. It was ok. Squall was kinda cool and Rinoa was cute AT FIRST but, than later got annoying. dry.gif Quistis was the best female character. Zell......was plain retarded. I hated hearing from my stupid classmates that he was what you get when you mix Cloud and Tifa from FFVII......BURN IN HELL ALL OF YOU!!!!! Seifer was.....okay. Irvine was.....girly. Selphie was cute and annoying.

In my opinion, Rinoa.....your a cheap Tifa doppleganger. Squall.....get a haircut and put a paper bag with a smile over your face. Zell.....sit your ass down before I kill you. Seifer.....kick Squalls ass. XD Quistis.....your too good for the party your in. Irvine.....your just a gay version of Vincent from FF7 that can't shoot for ****. Selphie.....=\.......not sure what to say so whatever. I think whats best of this game is the very imperfection of the characters......=\....what?....its what i think, so meh tongue.gif

Jingy
Zidan_chan
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Apr 30 2005, 12:47 PM)
How many times did Rinoa get kidnapped over the course of this game? 4? 5?
Ridiculous.
[snapback]163779[/snapback]

Seriously, she really was the stereo-typical lady is distress. Well, at least she spent a fair portion of the game "asleep." I would not have minded if she simply remained that way. (Sorry, I am releasing all of my pent up Rinoa hate.) I thought that Tifa and Sara were much stronger female leads in the Final Fantasy series. Overall, I just did not really care for the game. The storyline seemed trite and the characters got on my nerves after a while. (However, I did like the character of Laguna)
Edward Elric.
"I disagree. uhm... I liked the graphics!"
Not exactly the graphics but more on sound and music cool.gif

I like the intro one mostly, sounded something like this (People, people say?)

It was like year 2000 since I touch the game the 3rd time dry.gif
The Colonel's Girl
the Mature rating was the original FF8, but Square cut out the language and "excessive" blood shed out before it was put out on shelves. the place where i this info is the following:

FF8~M-rating

it was more so for the demo of it, but there is an actual version of it....

but by far...7 or nine has to be the best FF games out there.
Quistis88
Well, I'm glad the profanity was cut out. The game dialogues are scripted in such a way that any misuse of profanity would have made the lines even worse. Then again, this is an assumption based on the final product. Good move on Square's part, I suppose . . .
Sith lord Revan 64
Profanity wouild have made it more realistic i mean who doesnt cuss?
Quistis88
QUOTE(Sith lord Revan 64 @ May 24 2005, 09:30 PM)
Profanity wouild have made it more realistic i mean who doesnt cuss?

For your information, I don't. And with regards to the storyline, the characters are almost all mercenaries, and they would/should have been trained in political relations of all things, and therefore, would/should restrain themselves from swearing under most circumstances.
Pyro_Alchemist
It wasn't That bad. It was allright. but FF7 was better in my opinion.
Still n all, Seifer is cute. :3
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.