Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ghost In The Shell
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Pages: 1, 2
Scar-San
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (攻殻機動隊 STAND ALONE COMPLEX Kōkaku Kidōtai Sutando Arōn Konpurekkusu?, "Mobile Armoured Riot Police: Stand Alone Complex") is an anime television series produced by Production I.G and based on Masamune Shirow's manga Ghost in the Shell. It was written and directed by Kenji Kamiyama, with original character design by Hajime Shimomura, a screenplay written by Hiroshi Satô, and a soundtrack by Yoko Kanno. It aired on Animax from 1 October 2002 to 25 March 2003, and was positively received by critics.
(Source - Wiki)

List of Characters

Plot Summary: In the future, life between the digital and physical world has been blurred. The boundary of technology and humanity has been stretched beyond imagination with lives being led in both the electronic and physical worlds. With the melding of man and machine – a new cybernetic level of existence is being created - An existence that continues to redefine mankind.

Genres: action, drama, mystery, science fiction
Themes: cyberpunk, mecha, military, police
Episodes: 26
Age Rating: Mature
(Source - ANN)

------------------

simply the best !!!!!!!
Kasey
I've watched it but I can't really get into the storyline.
But I absolutely love the opening song.
AlphonseRules
I really do like this show, it is my second or third favorite anime. I think that its only real problem is consistency. There are some amazing episodes of this show but there are also some that seem pointless and boring. Last weeks was the first one that had any emotion in it.
[spoiler] I was pissed when section 9 had to split up.[/spoiler]
Zarpia
yeah, i agree with you Alphose, is just bad anime (for me), the only think i like about it is the bigining song.
hitokiri
the tachikoma specials are by far the best part.... i love the intro for them, its my cell phone ring. i love the looks on random strangers faces when phone goes off.
vazel
though i loved gits 1 and 2 and the manga i just can't get into the series. i just don't like the animation style of mixing 2d and 3d that much. plus, the tachikomas, though i liked them in the manga, are a little annoying in the series.
TheVileOne
QUOTE(vazel @ Apr 29 2005, 10:31 AM)
though i loved gits 1 and 2 and the manga i just can't get into the series. i just don't like the animation style of mixing 2d and 3d that much. plus, the tachikomas, though i liked them in the manga, are a little annoying in the series.
[snapback]162880[/snapback]

Even though pretty much all of GITS 2 is a mix of 2D and 3D animation while Stand Alone Complex just uses it sparingly?
love_me_destroyer
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Apr 29 2005, 09:50 AM)

while Stand Alone Complex just uses it sparingly?
[snapback]162969[/snapback]

You kidding? Not an episode goes by when there's no computer graphics in there.
hitokiri
QUOTE(love_me_destroyer @ Apr 29 2005, 01:28 PM)
[snapback]162995[/snapback]

if you forget about the intro most of them don't have cg....
love_me_destroyer
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Apr 29 2005, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE(love_me_destroyer @ Apr 29 2005, 01:28 PM)

if you forget about the intro most of them don't have cg....
[snapback]163006[/snapback]

Well, not entirely. But there is clearly lot's of touch-ups done via CG.
AlphonseRules
Aren't the cars always cg. If not they sure do look wierd.
TheVileOne
QUOTE(love_me_destroyer @ Apr 29 2005, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Apr 29 2005, 09:50 AM)

while Stand Alone Complex just uses it sparingly?
[snapback]162969[/snapback]

Sure but for the most part it has a 2-D, hand drawn look. As opposed to Innocence with total CG, 3-D sets, backgrounds, and locations with just 2-D characters. So yeah, I'd say they use the CG sparingly especially compared to the second movie.
AlphonseRules
Anyone see this weeks episode? It was one of if not the best episode yet. Kinda sucks that its getting really good two episodes before the break.
[spoiler] I don't think that the Major really died. She couldn't have. DO NOT tell me if she did/didn't. I don't want to know, Im just letting everyone know what I think.[/spoiler]
KevSlider
QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ Apr 30 2005, 11:26 PM)
Anyone see this weeks episode?  It was one of if not the best episode yet.  Kinda sucks that its getting really good two episodes before the break.
[spoiler] I don't think that the Major really died.  She couldn't have.  DO NOT tell me if she did/didn't.  I don't want to know, Im just letting everyone know what I think.[/spoiler]
[snapback]164250[/snapback]

Answer to your question below...But I have a question. Batou and the major always fight about her body choice...did she used to be a man before she got a woman body?

[spoiler]Seeing as there's a series called "Second Gig" I think she makes it out alive. Also they give you a hint by showing her naked wrist at the end. I want to know how Baotu gets out of it.[/spoiler]
AlphonseRules
I don't know the answer to your question, but that is pretty freaky if the answer is yes. I really thought that Ishikawa was going to get away, that was cool how he blew those guys up though.
TheVileOne
I think I got more emotional during the last stand for the Tachikomas than I did during the death of Hughes. I hadn't seen the episode for GITS before and I was just really touched by the loyalty of the Tachikomas to Batou.

Also...you could cut the sexual tension between Batou and The Major with a knife. I'm not sure if The Major feels that way about Batou, but I'm pretty positive from watching the series and the movies that Batou clearly loves her. And by love I don't mean friend/platonic love. I mean boyfriend/girlfriend love.
CursedAnubis
Dang, does Ishikawa have a prosthetic body? That guy stomped on his head ><
AlphonseRules
I think that he is mostly human like Togusa.
TheVileOne
Saitou is also mostly human save for his arm and eye.

I believe the major and batou are the only full cyborgs on the team.
AlphonseRules
My favorite part of the episode was when Batou's head falls off and says to the soldier, "I that's right, I look dead to you don't eye." Then they guy turns around and Batou is standing there and says, "Sorry pal. I had to hack your eyes." BANG! BANG!
What an idiot. He never should have gotten out of that suit.
TheVileOne
I love how Batou pointlessly told the guy what he did right before he blew him away. I dunno, it was just cool to me that Batou did that, like he felt he needed to tell the guy how he fooled him before he sent him to the next world.

"My God...we are weak, my fellow Tachikomas and I."

"Goodbye, Mister Batou."

I was really tearing up at these parts.
CursedAnubis
When they were in the Major's safehouse, I could have sworn that they were going to kiss each other... I mean they were standing so close and >>
TheVileOne
That would've been awesome, but it usually just doesn't happen in anime. Plus I really don't think that Motoko feels about Batou that way. I think its more of an un-requited love on Batou's part.
animejunkie429800
I cant believe i cried during Motoko's death... 2 deaths in one day! 1st Hughes, then Motoko. i mean wtf is wrong w/ me! all the anime i watch are all good, but someone i get attatched to really well always dies for ex [spoiler] ed [/spoiler] *cries really bad*
AlphonseRules
Did any of the members of Section 9 die when they were caught?(excluding Motoko)
Also, I thought that it was a little sad when Togusa was being arrested and he's yelling: "Chief what's going on? Tell me! Tell meee!"
or something like that. And Aramake just walked away.
sailorv
It was hard to tell who's dead and who's captured & being interrogated. There were some shots off-screen when they split up where we couldn't tell who was shooting or if it was successful...and we noticed the sentimental wristwatch wasn't on the major's arm at the end of the episode.

Hurray for the Tachikomas! And the major's re-evaluation of them.

Loved the ammo underneath the bra drawer in the safe house. rolleyes.gif Too cool!

I didn't quite follow the conversation between Batou and the major regarding her choice of a female prosthetic body, even after replaying it. Hasn't she always been a girl? Anyway, you gotta feel bad for Batou apparently not having his feelings returned in the same way after all they've been through.

I also thought it was harsh that Aramake just walked away from Togusa. Guess he didn't rate an encrypted transmission the way the major did. dry.gif Or maybe he just can't get them since he's mostly human?
TheVileOne
QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ May 3 2005, 03:28 AM)
Did any of the members of Section 9 die when they were caught?(excluding Motoko)
Also, I thought that it was a little sad when Togusa was being arrested and he's yelling:  "Chief what's going on?  Tell me!  Tell meee!"
or something like that.  And Aramake just walked away.
[snapback]165452[/snapback]

Just so you guys know, there IS a second season of this series that is going to air on Adult Swim in September. Its also 26 episodes. And I hope you noticed that the Major was NOT wearing her watch at the end of the last episode. *HINT HINT* wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

Spoilers on who is around for next season:

[spoiler]No one's dead actually. Even though it looked like Boma was killed off screen. So everyone is back for season 2, even the...TACHIKOMAS. What season 2 will do actually will flesh out the minor characters from the first season such as Pazu, Boma, and Saitou, and give them more character development. We will find out how Saitou lost his eye and arm and started to work for Section 9, things like that. But yeah, no one's dead and every one will come back even the Major, who to you it should be rather obvious that we haven't seen the last of her after episode 25. [/spoiler]
AlphonseRules
Well I was pretty sure that the major wasn't dead, even before I realized that the watch wasn't on the body. I knew that there is a second season, so I figured that there was no way that the main character would die half way through. Saitou is my favorite of the secondary characters. Does anyone know if 2nd Gig will be half stand alone episodes and half complex episode like the first season was?
sailorv
Wish I'd figured out that there was a 2nd season *before* this week!!!!

wacko.gif wacko.gif

Whew!
TheVileOne
QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ May 4 2005, 04:02 AM)
Well I was pretty sure that the major wasn't dead, even before I realized that the watch wasn't on the body.  I knew that there is a second season, so I figured that there was no way that the main character would die half way through.  Saitou is my favorite of the secondary characters.  Does anyone know if 2nd Gig will be half stand alone episodes and half complex episode like the first season was?
[snapback]165929[/snapback]

Well season 2 is called 2ND Gig. Season 2 is more about revealing the origins and the backgrounds of the section 9 characters.
AlphonseRules
Actually, it is called Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG.
Observe:
infatuation_junkie
I know this is going to sound lame (and off subject), but what does the GIG stand for?
AlphonseRules
A job, like a musician gets a gig.
TheVileOne
I thought it meant like hard drive gig. Like short for gigabyte, gigahurtz, what have you.
AlphonseRules
Hey I don't know. Both are acceptable meanings, we just don't know what the creators mean. But seeing as it is such a technology based show you could easily be right VileOne.
CursedAnubis
Does anybody know what the major was lipping before her head was blown off? I couldn't make it out
AlphonseRules
Spoiler if you didn't see tonights episode:
[spoiler] Apparently that wasn't the major, it was another remote body.[/spoiler] Well first of all there was no sound with the lips moving, and even if she was supposed to be saying something the mouth movements would be in Japananese so how the heck would you know what she was saying.
My favorite part of this episode was when section 9 was making fun of Batou for his reaction to Kusanagi's death, and Ishikawa mimicked him going "Motokooooo!"
laugh.gif
Man I couldn't keep up with everything in the conversation between the Major and the Laughing Man.
TheVileOne
Mouth movements for most anime aren't specifically Japanese. They are just mouth flaps really. And most anime is dubbed after the shows have been fully animated. So they aren't really animating the mouth movements to always fit certain syllables and words. Cause you know to do that...would cost a lot of money smile.gif .

Yeah, Batou was so pissed that he got played like that. It was hilarious.

Another 26 episode season coming later this fall!

Screw Dreamworks for not letting Animaze do the second movie in English!
AlphonseRules
1. Why was Batou so mad at the Major at the beginning?

2. I think that Togusa as the same voice actor as Tsume from Wolf's Rain.
CursedAnubis
I think it was because he likes her, and thought she was dead; also the fact that the other members of section 9 probably made it worse by teasing him -_______-''
GreedEnvyWrath
Ghost in the Shell the second is better than the movie made in the 90s the only good part was the anime boobies
TheVileOne
QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ May 8 2005, 06:42 AM)
2.  I think that Togusa as the same voice actor as Tsume from Wolf's Rain.
[snapback]168569[/snapback]

Yes, Crispin Freeman.
Carnal Malefactor
The original film and the manga are great.

The tv series, however, is lacking.
akari-chan
Ghost in the Shell is so cool!
Tombow
Finally, fresh episode on CN!!!
New episode (for AS viewers) from Second Gig will air Saturday starting this week. happy.gif
DustStorm
Ghost In The Shell is one of my favorite animes. smile.gif
Tombow
The first episode of Second Gig, episode 1, "reembody" was... how do I say... BLOODY(literally)!! blink.gif
But yay, Tachikomas are baaaaack!!! happy.gif

ETA:
Watching the next episode - episode #2, "Night Cruise."

Very wordy episode tonight.

ETA2:
Watching episode 3. "Cash Eye."

This episode looks cool and promisiing.

Major looks hot!! happy.gif
Alphonse Elric101
I love the opening for both GITS, the major is awsome!
please dont hurt me
ghost in the shell is awsome and is my favorite anime ever.
DiamondAlchemist
I really like Batou.....especially his dub actor, Richard Epcar.
He really did a good job of emboiding the character.
Batou is one of my fav characters!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.