Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Doesn't Ed Wear The Military Uniform?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Pages: 1, 2
sp_am_mer
You would think that he would be required to like the others....
hagane_no_tokage
he's never been sent to war, and he doesn't report into the office often like the others do, he's frequently off doing his own thing anyway... and i have to think he doesn't wear it just to spite roy a lot of the time...

and i think this was already asked somewhere...
Ailuro
This is why.

And yes, I do believe this was asked somewhere else. Yet, I couldn't find it.
I'm debating with myself on whether this should go to Character Discussion or stay where it is. huh.gif
Hikusa Rockgirl X
o.o but but but it looks cute and funny on him~ xDDD
ahem ah yesh <.<;;
*wants to ask something* o.o
i have seen images of Ed with the military uniform
are them only pics, CG's or of a game does anyone know o_o;?
*cuz they look like scene's of teh anime but.. i dont think so <.<*
anywayz thanks~ *-*U
CursedAnubis
QUOTE(Ailuro @ Apr 26 2005, 08:01 PM)
This is why.

And yes, I do believe this was asked somewhere else. Yet, I couldn't find it.
I'm debating with myself on whether this should go to Character Discussion or stay where it is.  huh.gif
[snapback]161496[/snapback]

LOL what a hilarious picture... I think this should stay so people who don't explore other boards for fear of spoilers (like me), can know too.
Martel
YEAH! I had that pic as my background for the longest time cause it was hilarious. I agree with hagane_no_tokage I think he does it just to annoy Roy. But it would be funny to see Ed in a uniform that fits him just once
Edo-mame
Hikusa Rockgirl X: Those "anime looking" pics you saw were from the FMA fangame. The graphics are very good being fan made but I don't really like the story.

But why doesn't Edo wear the military uniform?! He looks really handsome in it with a ponytail(I've seen some very nice fanarts). Probably because:

1) Hes too small... Fury is the smallest size I've seen but even he is a good couple inches taller.

2)He doesn't like it being military wear and all. And he doesn't need it to gain privileges unlike the state alchemist liscense.

3)Sensei might beat him up harder (or kill him o_O) if she saw him in one.

4)Doesn't really go on missions that would require him in one/ isn't at HQ much.
~.:Anime_Gal:.~
lolz, cute pic of Ed, but i can understand, all the uniforms r to big on him ^^ *and why is Armstrong there???*
hagane_no_tokage
sparkly terror effect?
telepika
That pic and this topic was discussed in "Hottest FMA Character, let's see if someone beats Winry and Ed," or at least I think that's what the title was... (Surprised I remembered that much...) Anyway, it's the thread where Kase proposed those bets and Kasumi always lost... At some point we just randomly posted pics and that pic was posted.

Ah the memories... I miss Kase very much. sad.gif
Hawkeyes counterpart
[B]Its not his style to wear a unifrom
ymsg
Yup, Ed's a rebel. It's bad enough that he's a military dog, so he's not promoting it, lol.
QUOTE(Hikusa Rockgirl X @ Apr 26 2005, 09:20 PM)
o.o but but but it looks cute and funny on him~ xDDD
ahem ah yesh <.<;;
*wants to ask something* o.o
i have seen images of Ed with the military uniform
are them only pics, CG's or of a game does anyone know o_o;?
*cuz they look like scene's of teh anime but.. i dont think so <.<*
anywayz thanks~ *-*U

[snapback]161501[/snapback]

Yes, most, if not all of them are from video games....most are made by Chinese girls and whatnot. Among them is this
http://www.ocean-x.com/oceanx/index.htm
But there is one video game I love...it's called 'Dream Carnival" Very funny....I have pictures...but i don't know if I can post them here.

As for why he doesn't wear a military suit is:
He doesn't want to be a Dog of the military, especially later on...and they're too big on him.
AlphonseRules
I think that the military just noticed how badass his red coat is and decided to let him wear it. laugh.gif
eliss_music
As much of a target as red is, I think it keeps military killers from seeing him so soon.
Ok that I just thought of but I realy think it's just because he wouldnt have joined if he and Al hadn't had a mishapp so they just let him be.
I like the red coat. Ed's like me, uniforms are ment to be burned. it's like asking Riza to put on a mini skirt and heels...just wont happen without a fight. ok, i'm done here.

ps-and why would al rip someone in half? they'd have t attack and be no other way to get rid of them.
Steel Alchemist
True, he hasw never been in a war.
Martel
QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ Apr 27 2005, 05:54 PM)
I think that the military just noticed how badass his red coat is and decided to let him wear it. laugh.gif
[snapback]161933[/snapback]

BWAHAHAHA! That would be so awsome if that were the case. ::Loves his red jacket:: Naah I'm pretty sure he's just too small of a shrimp and they didn't have any that fit him. (Went against my own advice... 'Never call Ed small if you want to LIVE')
ymsg
Small is good ;D lol
«°~Gluttony™~°»
QUOTE(ymsg @ Apr 29 2005, 04:32 AM)
Small is good ;D lol
[snapback]162907[/snapback]

IPB Image
Even Ed says here that small isn't good

lol

on the other part if they wanted too, you do know they have the abilty to sew up a brand new uniform to fit him huh.gif just cause the normal size wouldn't fit him, don't mean they can't just make a custom fit size for him.
eliss_music
on the other part if they wanted too, you do know they have the abilty to sew up a brand new uniform to fit him huh.gif just cause the normal size wouldn't fit him, don't mean they can't just make a custom fit size for him.
[snapback]166664[/snapback]

i found a pic of ed in a fitting uniform. he looked very nice but it didnt have the energy of his red coat. i honestly think i figured out the color thing. see it's like this:

ed's red coat symbolizes his energy and the blood of his past, his black clothing underneath represents his dark past and his void of emotions. where as the blue of the military gives athority with out fear (when neatly presented) and gives a feeling of trust and responsablity, which your soppost to feel for proper athority figures. not having a jacket over ed's top shows that he is willing to break away from his hiddin self to revile his true self in order to win. in english : he'll drop everything to save it all, it also shows signs of full power or last resort. the dull colors of cloth on al shows he is dpressed, feeling empty (no pun), and neutural in emotion. this doesnt mean he doesnt have deep emotions but over all he feels no connection to reality. similar to ed, who's emotions are of being lost and failer.

ok, my psycology (again) got the better of me. i'll stop now. open to all opinions! biggrin.gif
ymsg
That's a great dissertation!! *impressed!*
«°~Gluttony™~°»
But Al had no choice of what he wore lol
MasterKris
i found a pic of ed in a fitting uniform. he looked very nice but it didnt have the energy of his red coat. i honestly think i figured out the color thing. see it's like this:

WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS PIC?? blink.gif
alchemist922
QUOTE(Ailuro @ Apr 26 2005, 09:01 PM)
This is why.
[snapback]161496[/snapback]

oh thats funny but i dont't think thats the reason biggrin.gif
Maes-Hughes
He doesnt wear the uniform because he's ED tongue.gif
eliss_music
QUOTE(Maes-Hughes @ May 30 2005, 03:57 PM)
He doesnt wear the uniform because he's ED tongue.gif
[snapback]182445[/snapback]

couldnt agree more! the red coat adds to his firy side. it also helps to show his imaturity and cockyness but also shows that he can be counted on in a tight spot. the uniform means something programed is exected all the time. his differnt uniform means he can be the wild card and play the sides. also...anyone know the date of eds birthday? he seems to be either aries or scorpio. sorry, one more thing i love to study. hm, now that i think about it i love studying but hate school. wow, talk about irony.

night!
Edo-mame
All I know is (shrimpy, attitude problem Edo with silky golden hair in a pony tail) + (same old military uniform) = HOT and/or handsome! This combination works so well in my head and they make each other look good so why BONES, why?!
Flik
Umm...I hate to spoil the obvious fun, but...well I just couldn't help but actually trying to answer the original question.

Why isn't Ed required to wear the Military uniform like everyone else?

First off, we need to narrow down that term "everyone else." If you look at those in the employ of the military that wear the uniform and then compare them to those that don't (IE Ed, Shou Tucker, Dr. Marcoh, Nash Tringham), you'll notice something that each group has in common.

Those that wear the uniform are all soldiers that have officially entered the Military. They all went through bootcamp, they are all trained in how to use various weapons and, they all have a rank, whether it be Master Sargeant, Lieutenant Colonel, Brigadier General, or Fuhrer.

Those that wear civilian clothing, however (again: Ed, Tucker, Marcoh, and Tringham), were simply Alchemists working for the Military. While they may be called into active duty if a major conflict arises, they haven't had the traditional training that the other soldiers have and are considered more scientists on the Military's payroll than soldiers.
Mistress of Darkness
So... Ed is more like a scientist person than an actual member of the military? That part makes sense.

My two questions are, was Tringham a part of the military (passing the state alchemy exams, I mean)? I honestly don't remember seeing that in those two eps (12 & 13 I believe?). (If we see him again after ep 26, I obviously don't know. I follow CN's airings of FMA. Leave me alone about it. ~_~)

The other question: Marcoh had to have definitely been a part of the military. My memory just decided to go all fuzzy on me, but didn't he go to Ishbal during the rebellion with Roy, etc? However, I don't remember him wearing a military uniform, either (even though in that time of war), which still leaves the question of why he's not wearing his military uniform.

Someone said Ed was probably either an Aries or a Scorpio - it's possible that he could be either, but not likely. He was born in winter (he shares his birthday with Elicia - remember the day Elicia was born? it was snowing outside and Hughes went to get a doctor...), so it would make more sense for him to be a Pisces or something. Pisces are usually weepy and emotional, however, so that might not be his sign. Depending on when winter comes in Amestris (Germany), he could be any of these signs:
Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces, Aries, Taurus.

Scorpio, Aries and Taurus are a long shot, however. Snow doesn't usually fall during that time.

...And I just realized his birthday probably has nothing to do with why he doesn't wear the military uniform. Sorry! X_x

He probably doesn't because he just doesn't want to. When Roy sends him out on all those missions, it's also easier to do reconnaisance work (okay, investigating is his job but we all know he also fixes everyones problems. XD) when you're not wearing a glaring bullseye target on you. He has the pocket watch, though, to prove his affiliation, when needed. ^^
Omakase Shimasu
Do you mean the elder Tringham? If so, yes, I thought he was also a State Alchemist, but I could b mistaken. It's been such a long time since I last saw that episode.

Marcoh, same as Edward, is also a State Alchemist, therefore also a part of the military. When he was drafted (State Alchemists always get drafted when a War breaks out, which was part of the reason Pinako objected to Ed's decision to partake in the State Alchemist exams) he also wore his military uniform.

So basically, if a War broke out and Ed wouldn't have left the military we all would have seen him in his form-fitting, pine-sized uniform, but [unfortunately] it never came to that.
Celestial Shadow
dry.gif Too bad it didn't. He looks hot in uniform.
Omakase Shimasu
biggrin.gif Don't I know it. We still have screenshots from "that" game though. *wink nudge*
Kasumi
Anybody considered maybe it's because the military doesn't have a uniform that could fit Ed? Take a look at this:

Ed in Uniform

XD
Omakase Shimasu
I was wondering when that image would finally pop up. Leave it to Kasumi, of course. tongue.gif

X3 Cutie-pie alert.
MizukoMidori
QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Jun 30 2005, 04:07 PM)
Do you mean the elder Tringham? If so, yes, I thought he was also a State Alchemist, but I could b mistaken. It's been such a long time since I last saw that episode.

Marcoh, same as Edward, is also a State Alchemist, therefore also a part of the military. When he was drafted (State Alchemists always get drafted when a War breaks out, which was part of the reason Pinako objected to Ed's decision to partake in the State Alchemist exams) he also wore his military uniform.

So basically, if a War broke out and Ed wouldn't have left the military we all would have seen him in his form-fitting, pine-sized uniform, but [unfortunately] it never came to that.
[snapback]203038[/snapback]

Um Spoiler warning first of all I think. Because I'm talking about stuff later in the series and I don't want to like, give anything away? Yeah

But technically war does break out later on. In Lior and the military is called in to control it, and Ed is called into battle. Although he is not made to wear the uniform.

This could also be because he isn't there for long. And shortly after he arrives he goes out on a scouting mission, and runs into Scar, and then eventually does leave the military. Or is considered a traitor or what not.

But the idea of Ed in a fitting military uniform is neat. And very hot. I can just imagine him with this pouty look on his face wearing one.
Koneko_chan
QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Jul 1 2005, 03:46 PM)
I was wondering when that image would finally pop up.
[snapback]203695[/snapback]

It already did on the first page. o_O

Jeez, people.

I think Edward looks hot no matter what he wears... except that purple and yellow outfit he wore with the brown wig.
Edo-mame
QUOTE(Koneko_chan @ Jul 1 2005, 06:13 PM)
I think Edward looks hot no matter what he wears... except that purple and yellow outfit he wore with the brown wig.
[snapback]203746[/snapback]

Or when he wore that pink shirt with pruple tie and loafers with no socks O_O(some some trading card)
Kasumi
*is ashamed for not going through the thread in the first place* Oops, sorry about that... Won't happen again.

Oh and going back to Nash Tringham, I just re-watched those two episodes, and they made no mention of him being a state Alchemist. wink.gif

@Edo-mame: Pink shirt with tie... You mean this one?
Mistress of Darkness
Yeah. That's a scary picture. He really does look like a girl in that one, because he's wearing pink. Keep that picture away from me! The colours give me nightmares! *_*
ed_2k5_2005
it's because he wonders to his home town alot and doesn't really stay in the one place at one time. (if that makes sence)
major_ed_pride
They don't have any uniforms in his size! XD
Chizu
I think it's because when he goes searching for the stone all the people won't freak out cause they hate the military
Karen the state alchemist
QUOTE(sp_am_mer @ Apr 26 2005, 07:27 PM) [snapback]161480[/snapback]

You would think that he would be required to like the others....

because he wants to scare little kids so they think he is gothic tongue.gif

QUOTE(Kasumi @ Jul 1 2005, 02:39 PM) [snapback]203689[/snapback]

Anybody considered maybe it's because the military doesn't have a uniform that could fit Ed? Take a look at this:

Ed in Uniform

XD

that could be it too...
sweety_pie
I think I have few reasons he doesn't wear the uniform.

1) In spite of Roy.
2)He doesn't want to be called a military dog.
3)People don't like the military in most places he goes and he gets beat up just for being in the military.
paca
Ed doesn't use . neither does shou tocker.
I think that is because they are alchemist that work in some way "appart". Ed ( like too much have already said ) is searching something powerful. Nobody would help a militar to get that power.
GunnerRiza82
Why doesn't Ed wear the military uniform?!? Well He looks so good in what he usually wears and that uniform is a little big for him I think. LOL! Even though he'd look so good in one. O.o;;; *Blinks and double takes* Yes he'd look so good. Also I've seen pics of him in the uniform sooo he does look good in it.
HalfAsian Alchemist
I think Ed's too small/short, he's allowed to do more than the others, and I think a military uniform would hinder in the search for the Stone.
Azen22
I just think Ed doesn't want to show that he is a dog of the military.
sweety_pie
QUOTE(Azen22 @ Jul 22 2006, 08:33 PM) [snapback]424668[/snapback]

I just think Ed doesn't want to show that he is a dog of the military.

Yeah, that's why I think he doesn't wear it.

The idea of him being to short/small is getting old.Practly every post has said something about it.
LindleyJo
QUOTE(Ailuro @ Apr 26 2005, 11:01 PM) [snapback]161496[/snapback]

This is why.

Haha! That was pretty funny. ^^

QUOTE(Flik @ Jun 29 2005, 06:11 AM) [snapback]201965[/snapback]

Umm...I hate to spoil the obvious fun, but...well I just couldn't help but actually trying to answer the original question.

Why isn't Ed required to wear the Military uniform like everyone else?

First off, we need to narrow down that term "everyone else." If you look at those in the employ of the military that wear the uniform and then compare them to those that don't (IE Ed, Shou Tucker, Dr. Marcoh, Nash Tringham), you'll notice something that each group has in common.

Those that wear the uniform are all soldiers that have officially entered the Military. They all went through bootcamp, they are all trained in how to use various weapons and, they all have a rank, whether it be Master Sargeant, Lieutenant Colonel, Brigadier General, or Fuhrer.

Those that wear civilian clothing, however (again: Ed, Tucker, Marcoh, and Tringham), were simply Alchemists working for the Military. While they may be called into active duty if a major conflict arises, they haven't had the traditional training that the other soldiers have and are considered more scientists on the Military's payroll than soldiers.

Good point. But I also think he wouldn't wear it even if he had to. A form of rebellion, you know? Maybe it's just me, but that seems like something Ed would do. (That's probably already been brought up, but I just wanted to get my opinion in)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.