Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Type Of School Do You Attend?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Drina
Well, my friend is home schooled. She says that she likes it. The only thing that she misses is her friends (ME!).
---The other day, I asked her when she does school. She says that she only does school work on wednesday. ONE DAY A WEEK! More or less, I was wondering how I could get a piece of that. Especially considering all the nice budget cuts our school is getting.
-----And her mom is a teacher. So, naturally, she's not going to just "give" her all good grades. But, some other friends that I've gathered over the years have "online schooling." For tests, they go to a campus or a nearby school to take their tests. That way, no one is allowing them to "get by."

----But if you think that some parents would just give you good grades know that most parents that allow their kids to be home schooled don't exactly "allow" that. I had a teacher in the 7th grade that if you simply complimented her, she'd raise your grade.
-----------------------------For example:
My friend (Cass) was basically failing the class. The teacher (Mrs. Brown) is a terrible teacher, really. She's old and doesn't really understand science. One day Cass happened to comment on Brown's sweater. Cass noticed that her grade had gone from a 61 on interims, to a 100 on her grade card. Learning from this, I tell all my little 7th grade friends to compliment something of Mrs. Brown's. That way, they'll get better grades.
Cloud28
lol!, i wish my teachers are like that lol laugh.gif
stella_mustang
Uh I go to a grammar school in England
What's that in American terms?
I'm not very familiar with how schools in America work
MasterKris
My school is AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's of the top ten schools in U.S.!!!!!!!!
I LUV MI SCHOOL!!!!!!
but of course hk and wk sucks, but still, it's a great school!!!!!!!
Yamato145
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Apr 27 2005, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE(Yamato145 @ Apr 27 2005, 11:18 PM)
in all honesty i think most home-schoolers have better social skills than public school students
[snapback]161906[/snapback]

and you base this on... what?
[snapback]161908[/snapback]

the way most home-schooled act around there peers against how most public-school kids act around theirs.
I am in a public school right now and there some kids in the hallway arguing about bullshit it will probably end in a fight and all over nothing ...
in case your going to ask how do i know its over something stupid, i listened to the whole argment ... apparently one looked at the other a way the other didn't approve ... by my definition that is retarded.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Yamato145 @ May 3 2005, 08:39 PM)
in all honesty i think most home-schoolers have better social skills than public school students

the way most home-schooled act around there peers against how most public-school kids act around theirs.
I am in a public school right now and there some kids in the hallway arguing about bullshit it will probably end in a fight and all over nothing ...
in case your going to ask how do i know its over something stupid, i listened to the whole argment ... apparently one looked at the other a way the other didn't approve ... by my definition that is retarded.
[snapback]165691[/snapback]

Correction: Your definition is retarded. You seem to have a flawed concept of what 'social skills' are. Whether you think the nature of the argument is stupid is irrelevant. Having social skills means being able to approach people without feeling awkward, being assertive in social situations, and understanding the ins-and-outs of human interaction. If you find yourself sheltered by homeschooling your whole life, it's highly unlikely that you'll experience things like peer pressure, verbal abuse and negative reinforcement in a normal environment, and therefore you'll be much less apt to properly respond to them when you are exposed to them in the outside world.
Yamato145
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,May 3 2005, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE(Yamato145 @ May 3 2005, 08:39 PM)

[snapback]165691[/snapback]

Correction: Your definition is retarded. You seem to have a flawed concept of what 'social skills' are. Whether you think the nature of the argument is stupid is irrelevant. Having social skills means being able to approach people without feeling awkward, being assertive in social situations, and understanding the ins-and-outs of human interaction. If you find yourself sheltered by homeschooling your whole life, it's highly unlikely that you'll experience things like peer pressure, verbal abuse and negative reinforcement in a normal environment, and therefore you'll be much less apt to properly respond to them when you are exposed to them in the outside world.
[snapback]165698[/snapback]

okay if that is what your looking for ... I was home-schooled for years before entering public school and on my very first day i had no problems associating with the rest of the kids ... I had made best friends with 2 of them by the end of the week and by the end of the month everyone in my grade knew me. So I don't know how the rest of these kids did who had been raised in public school but I do know how I did.
By the way, If you can't associate with people without resorting to violence I do think that is an example of not only bad but terrible social skills.
Bling_bling_Angel
Okay, so how does this work for me...? mellow.gif

I belong to a private academy, but since I've had to travel alot, they've put me on their satellite program and have been homeschooled since... *thinks* 3rd grade... yeah... so how where does that put me? 0_0?
~FMAgurl~
I guess that puts you in homeschool. I should have made the question more detailed. I kind of forgot people went to more than one school. The question should have been "What type of school are you currently attending?". Sorry about that.
anime_manga_fan
Public Fine Arts School

For 'yall who don't know what that is. It's a school that learns through Dance, Art, Music, and Drama.

It's actually fun...

'Cept my Art teacher whom dosen't appreciate Manga drawing in class, nor Hagane no Rekinjutsushi... T_T
Azura Elric
Public school and very racist -.-
Other then that the teachers are pretty good here.
silver bg
private for me. it is ok
telepika
O_O What private school do you go to Silver?

Hahaha, I went to a private Catholic all girls high school. It wasn't too bad though. I liked the place and we had very interesting teachers, both very knowledgeable and weird at the same time.
~FMAgurl~
That's always a great combination biggrin.gif
What school do you attend now, telepika?
JudasPriest1
I go to public school and it's not the school with like a gazillion nerds, I go to the cool public school which happens to be the worst the school ever. We did'nt pass state regulation on the TAKS so now we're being taken over by the man.
kxiim
public school for me.
Carnal Malefactor
OUCH.

School Vouchers are a good thing.
davidalchemist101
lets just say they can lock you up in la room with a bed and hard walls if your bad or just a bad school its like heLL
Celestial Shadow
School is Hell in itself. It's like being in jail for 12 or more years for doing nothing more than being born.
davidalchemist101
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Jul 21 2005, 05:14 PM)
School is Hell in itself. It's like being in jail for 12 or more years for doing nothing more than being born.
[snapback]222277[/snapback]

hella
Karo
I go to a public school., Some teachers are good, but not all. And some kids are good, but it still sucks.
zombie
i have been 2 7 schools what fun
the school im in now is public.
romellbrown
first public school until graduation and for the past 10 years specific job course classes.
saffiremoon21
I went to a year-round public school for middle school, and my high school is a regular public school.
DarkBlade_Alchemist
I'm a public high school fish. (great for me huh?)
Berserker Alchemist
Public for me. ^^
anime_manga_fan
Fine Arts (Public) School

Basically you learn though Art, Dance, Music, and Drama

It's really fun!

Cept the art teacher (Who was my home room teacher last year) didn't appreciate Hagane no... ><"
Last_one
QUOTE(arche @ Apr 23 2005, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Apr 23 2005, 02:11 PM)
public school is soooooo cool^^^^^^
[snapback]159288[/snapback]

public schools can be very good if you know how to work them. I have no intention of having my daughter go to a private school. I don't even like private residential colleges anymore. I think that they are a relic of ancient education systems. Their appeal is only in the antiquated belief that they truly afford a better education, but public schools can provide as good if not better education with a properly motivated student.

In the end, people going to private residential colleges end up with more debt and not much more prospects for the job market. Yes there still are academic snobs in the business world looking to only hire from some private colleges, but this is dying out and I only hope will die out completely as the labor market continues to produce higher levels of competition. Why pay more for a private residential college grad when you can pay a little less for just as good a public college candidate (I swear some private residential college kids think they deserve more money when they are offered jobs).
[snapback]159293[/snapback]

I can tell your a democrate, also, what you say is'nt true. Public school is horrible, barely anyone succesful comes from public school, ooh and the reason you hear more about the people from public schools being more sucessful is because they have more kids goto them. But there are plenty of rich and sucessful people come from private and are rich.
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(Last_one @ Jul 26 2005, 09:36 PM)
Public school is horrible, barely anyone succesful comes from public school, ooh and the reason you hear more about the people from public schools being more sucessful is because they have more kids goto them.

I resent that. Does personal merit count for nothing? Coming from a public elementary school, a public high school, and going to a public university, I can't help but be annoyed by your claim that you only hear about successful public school alumni because there are more students in public schools. Do you have anything to back this? On a personal level, I honestly feel that what I have worked for these past 12 years and the effort I put in will determine whether or not I'm successful, not the public/private status of the institutions I've attended.

QUOTE(Last_one)
But there are plenty of rich and sucessful people come from private and are rich.

...Maybe because their families were rich to begin with? huh.gif

Out of curiosity, Last_one, what kind of school did/do you go to?
Last_one
I have been public, home and private and I'am telling you private is the best. My father when to private school his whole life and so did his brother. Also, Im not say your stupid cause you goto public school.
mei_tenshi
QUOTE(Last_one @ Jul 27 2005, 01:54 PM)
Also, Im not say your stupid cause you goto public school.
[snapback]228967[/snapback]

I should hope not. dry.gif For your sake, that is.

There are all kinds of success in life; it's really how you interpret what you've accomplished. A private school background might look good on paper, but it may not be the kind of environment a student needs. I have several friends who attended private schools and hated it. But again, their needs are different from those who loved their private school education.
FMAlchemistChan
Public high school for me since the school is near my house happy.gif
DameGreyWulf
I go to public school 'cause I'm poor
XD kidding
Laffe
Public.. bahh
The RZA
public school is the sh*t aint that right everybody, except for when somebody comes to school with a gun, ready to kill everybody, also does anybody live in Kentucky
Ed#1Fan2.0
public school for me
Connaz
i go to a private jesuit boarding school and i wouldnt trade it for the world. on the other hand i look forward to the end of next year. schoolies all the way!!!
Riza-Hawkeye
Just plain old public school since 1st grade for me, living in the suburbs of New York City a.k.a. the Bronx.
Did go to Day care and didn't have to do Pre-k or Kindergarden in public school! So two years less school for me!
Just napping and sucking on our thumbs... those where the days. rolleyes.gif
Squirrel of Doom
I go to public school. And it's a low scoring school. But it's the cool south Austin school so there are'nt to many nerds there.
Mrs. Edward Elric
I went to public school all my life up to my freshman year, and i love it. Going to private school doesnt suit me b/c you have to wear uniforms (ick) and me haveing a sense of style dont want to wear things that look like everyone else. I like to look different ya know? But then again, my public school has strict dress code too so yea...but at least its better than private school.

QUOTE(Last_one @ Jul 26 2005, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE(arche @ Apr 23 2005, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Apr 23 2005, 02:11 PM)
public school is soooooo cool^^^^^^
[snapback]159288[/snapback]

public schools can be very good if you know how to work them. I have no intention of having my daughter go to a private school. I don't even like private residential colleges anymore. I think that they are a relic of ancient education systems. Their appeal is only in the antiquated belief that they truly afford a better education, but public schools can provide as good if not better education with a properly motivated student.

In the end, people going to private residential colleges end up with more debt and not much more prospects for the job market. Yes there still are academic snobs in the business world looking to only hire from some private colleges, but this is dying out and I only hope will die out completely as the labor market continues to produce higher levels of competition. Why pay more for a private residential college grad when you can pay a little less for just as good a public college candidate (I swear some private residential college kids think they deserve more money when they are offered jobs).
[snapback]159293[/snapback]

I can tell your a democrate, also, what you say is'nt true. Public school is horrible, barely anyone succesful comes from public school, ooh and the reason you hear more about the people from public schools being more sucessful is because they have more kids goto them. But there are plenty of rich and sucessful people come from private and are rich.
[snapback]228290[/snapback]

mad.gif just because some people go to public school doesnt mean that they wont be sucessful in life, the only reason that people go to private school is that their parents are rich. Poor people cant afford the cost so they are force to go to public school. I have a friend who goes to public school and he's like the smartest person i know. He makes grades that top everyone in my school. But then again, i also have another friend who goes to private school, she lacks good grades and ditches her homework and school projects. In conclusion, it doesnt matter what kind of school you go to, its how you use your time and what you do in it that counts. Your future sucess depends on how hard you try in school, and the grades you make, not what kind of school you went to...
mei_tenshi
I absolutely agree with you, Mrs. Edward Elric.

On the other hand, please don't double post. smile.gif
meg08
I go to a public school.
Rave
For me: Kindergaten-2nd=Public;3rd=private;4th-6th=Home-schooled
I'm going to another private school, I think...
xiaku
I've always gone to a public school. And with that, it's always been fundamental. o_x
Mrs. Edward Elric
oh, yea, sry for the double posting, i'll try not to do it again smile.gif
Zereena
Always been Public schooled.
FullMetal_Stella
I think I go to a public school... It's a school for 10th graders ONLY.
Satsuka
I've been going to Public my whole life.
Ed'sfan
I have always been in publics schools, but if you live in Colombia even in public schools you have to pay to get in and you have to buy your oun uniform
Sleeping Forest
...public school...

...most private schools in NY are for religious groups...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.