Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Type Of School Do You Attend?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
~FMAgurl~
I'm attending a Catholic private school dry.gif I've been there for 9 years....and I can't wait 'til graduation. Freedom in one more year!!

ETA: Info for non-U.S. members....
QUOTE (kazare @ Jan 11 2010, 07:28 AM) *
...what is a charter school?

Charter school:

An alternative type of American public school that, while paid for by taxes, is independent of the public-school system and relatively free from state and local regulations. A charter school has a greater degree of freedom and autonomy than the traditional public school, and students attend it by choice. Each school is granted a renewable charter, usually by a state or local board for three to five years.

The aim of these schools is to increase learning opportunities and to allow for greater innovation in teaching practices. Some charter schools have a higher percentage of minority or economically disadvantaged students than traditional public schools and some specialize in a particular academic area. Charter schools are usually small, mainly urban, and vary significantly from state to state.

The first charter school law was passed in Minnesota in 1991, and the first school opened there the following year; California initiated similar legislation in 1992. By 2004, some 3,000 such schools were serving more than 600,000 students in 40 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.

While many applaud the charter school movement for promoting greater choice for students and parents, it has also been criticized by those, including many teachers' unions, who are apprehensive about the possible chilling effect on other public schools, the lack of adequate supervision, and, after several years of operation, the apparently unsatisfactory performance of many of the schools.

<so says in Columbia Encyclopedia. ^^ ~ Tombow >
ἀρχή
I am a result of public schools all the way through college. I didn't go to a private school until I went to grad school.
darkangelslayer
I was in public then Catholic then public.
love_me_destroyer
I'm home schooled. But next year I plan on going to a private high school.
Prinz_Zoisit
me, public school is soooooo cool^^^^^^
phoenix dying
My hats off to public schools, it made me the freak i am today. Muahahahah
ἀρχή
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Apr 23 2005, 02:11 PM)
public school is soooooo cool^^^^^^
[snapback]159288[/snapback]

public schools can be very good if you know how to work them. I have no intention of having my daughter go to a private school. I don't even like private residential colleges anymore. I think that they are a relic of ancient education systems. Their appeal is only in the antiquated belief that they truly afford a better education, but public schools can provide as good if not better education with a properly motivated student.

In the end, people going to private residential colleges end up with more debt and not much more prospects for the job market. Yes there still are academic snobs in the business world looking to only hire from some private colleges, but this is dying out and I only hope will die out completely as the labor market continues to produce higher levels of competition. Why pay more for a private residential college grad when you can pay a little less for just as good a public college candidate (I swear some private residential college kids think they deserve more money when they are offered jobs).
~FMAgurl~
QUOTE(arche @ Apr 23 2005, 12:19 PM)
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Apr 23 2005, 02:11 PM)
public school is soooooo cool^^^^^^
[snapback]159288[/snapback]

public schools can be very good if you know how to work them. I have no intention of having my daughter go to a private school. I don't even like private residential colleges anymore. I think that they are a relic of ancient education systems. Their appeal is only in the antiquated belief that they truly afford a better education, but public schools can provide as good if not better education with a properly motivated student.

In the end, people going to private residential colleges end up with more debt and not much more prospects for the job market. Yes there still are academic snobs in the business world looking to only hire from some private colleges, but this is dying out and I only hope will die out completely as the labor market continues to produce higher levels of competition. Why pay more for a private residential college grad when you can pay a little less for just as good a public college candidate (I swear some private residential college kids think they deserve more money when they are offered jobs).
[snapback]159293[/snapback]

Can you be my dad temporarily?! After I finish middle school...my parents are making me go to a catholic private high school dry.gif
Foolio
sadly ive been in a private catholic school all my life, although i must admit im getting a good education
hitokiri
public up to high school, then private all the rest of the way...
Zarpia
Public shool till 3 years ago, coz i don't go to school anymore
Quistis88
I was in private school up until the end of grade 2 (some Catholic school in Hong Kong; supposedly one of the best private schools there) when I moved to Canada and attended public school until grade 12. Here I am now in university.
Ailuro
I attended a private school all the way until high school. It was a drastic change when I went to my public highschool.
mongooseboi
i went to a private school until 4th grade, then moved, and went to a private school system. after attending public schools since, i look back and realize how lame the private school was.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(arche @ Apr 23 2005, 07:05 PM)
I am a result of public schools all the way through college.
[snapback]159277[/snapback]

What he said.
edsgirl
I spent my high school years in the Detroit Public School system . Enough said.
~FMAgurl~
I didn't know so many of you attended private school.
Full Blade Alchemist
Attending a public school, but wants to go to a private school.
xrninja
i've been in public schools all my life, and i'm going to a private art school for college in a few months. my town and school are already known as bubbles, so i don't need even more of a protected school like a private school, and i've enjoyed going to my public schools anyway. college is a little different in that there really aren't any public college art programs that can stand up to a private art school education, and private colleges pamper you more. tongue.gif
Bloodless
I'm going to a public high school, and have never went to a private one - never even thought of going to a private school.
I believe that public schools are good enough - if you study hard you'll get a good diploma, so it doesn't really matter... And I believe that the high school I go to is a very good one. The teachers are wonderful, some of them I truly admire.
~FMAgurl~
QUOTE(Full Blade Alchemist @ Apr 23 2005, 03:57 PM)
[snapback]159460[/snapback]

Why? huh.gif
~.:Anime_Gal:.~
im a a public school... no coment
Chiyo
Ah, well excluding the difference in systems, I went to a 'public' school, but to confuse things our private schools are called public schools. blink.gif

I think we need to bring back the comprehensive and grammer system. It basically means that those who can't cope with the academia get a chance to learn a skill to get them a job and thos who are academic aren't interupted by those who aren't.

Anyway, I'm at University now so it doesn't matter to much anymore. However my sister will hit secondary school in September and I worry for her.
Covah
Puplic for Preschool-6th Grade, but to this day I'm now at a private school.

it makes all the difference.
Dystopian Rhetoric
I attend a Grammar School in one of the last vesiges of the system, Buckinghamshire.
theultimatealchemist
I go to your typical public high school in the boonies. Yes. Way out there in the middle of nowhere. All the hill billies, hicks and what else you might think of live where I live.

Just the other day, my step-dad had to "dispose of" a racoon that was in our garage.

Quite honestly, I like my little, 150-student-graduating-class high school.

The only thing that totally bites (ha - I used slang) is that we're state funded and then also supported by the local population. (Big surprise.)

However, our school is surrounded by a great-big-giant-bunch of stupid, uneducated people! How fair is that?

Nobody values our lives and education.

Don't worry, though. I'm not one of those people who sit there and complain. Friday, I was outside in the uncharacteristicly cold weather and participated in a rally. It was absolutely delightful! ( <.< RIGHT!)

It doesn't make sense to me.

The state tells us that we need to perform better and produce more well-educated students that will better our society.

I'd just like to ask them one thing:

HOW DO YOU EXPECT US TO TURN OUT BETTER STUDENTS WHEN YOU CUT OUR FUNDING? (*Says with exasperation.*)

*Sigh*

I try my hardest. However, when our school system has to cut 12 teachers, I say that that is a load of cow manure!

And there you have it.
The rants and ravings of a teenage girl!
~Go sarcasm!~
Yamato145
I was in home school, but now im in public school
C/05
Carnal Malefactor
I don't understand why any parent would want to home-school their children, unless they WANTED them to be socially maladjusted.
Yamato145
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Apr 24 2005, 05:47 PM)
I don't understand why any parent would want to home-school their children, unless they WANTED them to be socially maladjusted.
[snapback]160214[/snapback]

you are aware that there are children in places besides school right?!
Carnal Malefactor
Of course. But the interaction you get at school is uniquely important. Playing with kids in your neighborhood is one thing, but in a school setting, you learn about things like social hierarchy and the politics of class. Most importantly, it toughens you up.
Ciella
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Apr 24 2005, 09:55 PM)
Of course. But the interaction you get at school is uniquely important. Playing with kids in your neighborhood is one thing, but in a school setting, you learn about things like social hierarchy and the politics of class. Most importantly, it toughens you up.
[snapback]160284[/snapback]

Actually a lot of home schoolers now a days are creating communities. These communities not only help the parents out, but allow the kids to interact with each other and experienience something similar to what they probably would in a small private school, except with their parents there. If you ask me, social issues are nothing, send a kid to camp for the summer and theyll get plenty of that. But with home schooling you get to give your kids a personalized education. You get to play to their strengths and build up their weaknesses education wise. Something that probably wouldn't happen a normal school simply because there are too many students. Of course some people use home schooling to turn their kids into religous zealots, but who am I to judge tongue.gif
Full Blade Alchemist
QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ Apr 23 2005, 07:55 PM)

Why? huh.gif
[snapback]159538[/snapback]

it seems people are more nicer in private schools
Quistis88
QUOTE(Full Blade Alchemist @ Apr 24 2005, 08:18 PM)

You only think that because you haven't attended one yet.
ἀρχή
Private schools are as variable as public schools. 80% of it is just where you're located that tells you whether public or private is better.

My father was telling me that when he taught math in high school way back, the poor neighborhoods were better than the more wealthy neighborhood schools. He said that in the poor neighborhood schools there was less bull shit going around - those who didn't care about school really never showed up tongue.gif But in the wealthy schools there were too many white kids acting cool all the time. I figure that it's all those stupid white kid poseurs trying to act all urban tongue.gif

Disclaimer: of course this was his impression 20-30 years ago and may not be reality, but I think it's interesting to point out tongue.gif
hitokiri
QUOTE(Ciella @ Apr 24 2005, 10:03 PM)
Actually a lot of home schoolers now a days are creating communities. These communities not only help the parents out, but allow the kids to interact with each other and experienience something similar to what they probably would in a small private school, except with their parents there. If you ask me, social issues are nothing, send a kid to camp for the summer and theyll get plenty of that. But with home schooling you get to give your kids a personalized education. You get to play to their strengths and build up their weaknesses education wise. Something that probably wouldn't happen a normal school simply because there are too many students. Of course some people use home schooling to turn their kids into religous zealots, but who am I to judge tongue.gif

with the parents there the children will be raised to be nothing but people that can't take ridicule and social angst... while a small minority of children who are picked on will snap and go all psycho, this is a rite of passage and a character building period. if all you get is positive reinforcement, what happens when you run into your first asshole boss?

also most of the people their children who home school aren't qualified to teach many subjects past the 7th grade level....
Mustang's Apprentice
Imagine the crappiest public school you know.

Now multiply its crappiness by 10.

That is where I reside.
Yamato145
in all honesty i think most home-schoolers have better social skills than public school students
of course there are exceptions like this kid i know named jacob was home schooled and doesnt have any type of f***ing communication skills
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(Yamato145 @ Apr 27 2005, 11:18 PM)
in all honesty i think most home-schoolers have better social skills than public school students
[snapback]161906[/snapback]

and you base this on... what?
~FMAgurl~
QUOTE(Full Blade Alchemist @ Apr 24 2005, 10:18 PM)
QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ Apr 23 2005, 07:55 PM)

Why? huh.gif
[snapback]159538[/snapback]

[snapback]160316[/snapback]

It just depends on what school you go to. Some people at private schools are really nice. Others are just...not (to put it in a nice way) The down side to private school is uniforms dry.gif . I can't stand them. If you don't have a certain shirt, or skirt, or type of socks or whatever, you get in trouble mad.gif
Blade Alchemist
I go to a Public School where everybody of a certain race (not mentioning in case somebody could be offended) think they're better than another race. Assholes running around everywhere where I go.
nekodesu
I have and will always attended public schools and I would kill myself if I had to go to Catholic school. *shivers*
Mustang's Apprentice
Agreed.It would suck to go to catholic school and my catholic friend is right on the verge of going to catholic school.
akari-chan
I have gone to public school my whole life.
xrninja
QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ Apr 27 2005, 05:54 PM)
The down side to private school is uniforms dry.gif . I can't stand them. If you don't have a certain shirt, or skirt, or type of socks or whatever, you get in trouble mad.gif
[snapback]161995[/snapback]

actually, i've always wanted to wear a school uniform. i have a bit of a thing for uniforms and uniformed people. laugh.gif;;
Quistis88
QUOTE(xrninja @ Apr 29 2005, 02:04 AM)
actually, i've always wanted to wear a school uniform. i have a bit of a thing for uniforms and uniformed people. laugh.gif;;

I, too, have a thing for uniforms (especially distinguished-looking men in uniforms, but let's not go there because I actually want to get some sleep tonight; I kid).

I used to wear a school uniform back in my private school days in HK. They weren't bad. We had separate attire for spring/summer and autumn/winter.

Speaking of that old private school in Hong Kong, if they didn't accept me for my good grades, I would have had to be Catholic. laugh.gif Apparently, nearly everyone else who did not have high grades or were not fabulously rich were Catholic.
vazel
i want to catholic school until i dropped out in 10th grade. sad.gif i'm so grateful for a private school education. public schools around here are just like you'd imagine private schools in a urban area being. wink.gif
NightMistress
I was in public school from kindergarten to 12th grade. Now I'm at a university and will be heading to grad school soon (which freaks me out terribly because I feel like I just got into college but now I'm about to leave) sad.gif . I'm thinking about going to Canada for grad school (and suprisingly my parents aren't all that opposed at the moment).
Hakuhebi
public for me~~
FullmetalYuna
My school is other. My school is HELL!!!
Cloud28
public for me as well, how the heck does home school work anyways? can't ur parents just give me 99% average...laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.