Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vol. 1 (English, North America Version, Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4) From Viz
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2
guitar53
dose any one know when they will begin selling translated biggrin.gif fullmetal alchemist manga in the U.S.
Otoki Tomoe
QUOTE(guitar53 @ Apr 21 2005, 06:09 PM)
dose any one know when they will begin selling translated  biggrin.gif fullmetal alchemist manga in the U.S.
[snapback]158108[/snapback]

I think Viz picked it up and the first book will be on sale in May sometime. Just in time for my birthday. tongue.gif
itsokihadsubway
Volume 1 just came out ^____^ and of course, I snagged a copy.

Primo stuff.
miss_neko
we already have a topic about this.
full_metal_05
did u get it at Viz, because if u did im gettin 1!

itsokihadsubway

i want 1
yeah i got one too! i like the cover of it, it's all holographic and nice. =)
muse_of_mirth
QUOTE(itsokihadsubway @ Apr 22 2005, 05:06 PM)

Primo stuff.
[snapback]158772[/snapback]

Where did you get your copy?!!! I must know!
I grabbed it off the stock cart at the Walden Books, heh. It wasn't even out on the shelf yet happy.gif
AlphonseRules
QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 23 2005, 02:41 PM)
[snapback]159259[/snapback]

How do you get one with this fancy cover. Is it special edition or something.
Also, what is the difference between the manga and the novel(s)?
Kyo_Umerio
QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ Apr 24 2005, 10:03 PM)

[snapback]160383[/snapback]

o.o my waldens doesn't have then yet..

AlphonseRules - the Manga is the Same thing as a novel o.O;;; havn't you ever read Manga before? Manga are basically comicbooks and then they are put together in Volumes and called chapters which is really what they are in the first place. but they are called "graphic novels" here but i just call them Manga
Hawkeyes counterpart
YES!!! I saw it at my local bookstore and had to have it biggrin.gif , so now I own it

and I'm letting my friends in school and my friend in Denmark borrow it smile.gif
Ronaldo Rodregez
I walked into Borders to pick up Hellsing 4/5 and right when I walked in, I practically was pulled to a stand with FMA in the middle. It's now lent to a friend. :o
AlphonseRules
QUOTE(Kyo_Umerio @ Apr 25 2005, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ Apr 24 2005, 10:03 PM)

[snapback]160383[/snapback]

o.o my waldens doesn't have then yet..

AlphonseRules - the Manga is the Same thing as a novel o.O;;; havn't you ever read Manga before? Manga are basically comicbooks and then they are put together in Volumes and called chapters which is really what they are in the first place. but they are called "graphic novels" here but i just call them Manga
[snapback]160600[/snapback]

Actually no I haven't read manga before until today. I just bought FMA volume 1 at Walden Books. Anyway, I saw separate release dates for the manga and some kind of novel, so I didn't really know what that was about.
Jen_Elric
I got my copy yesterday!!!! I was sooo surprised to see it early! I love my Waldenbooks! I didn't expect to see it there so soon! I even got a Viz 'Sneak Peek' Manga for free! (It shows some samples od Viz manga to come and some already out)
Umeko
QUOTE(Kyo_Umerio @ Apr 25 2005, 02:50 PM)
the Manga is the Same thing as a novel o.O;;; havn't you ever read Manga before? Manga are basically comicbooks and then they are put together in Volumes and called chapters which is really what they are in the first place. but they are called  "graphic novels" here but i just call them Manga
[snapback]160600[/snapback]

Actually, there IS a difference between the tankoubon and the novels. Tankoubon are the manga, and novels are stories that are... well, novels. With words. And a few illustrations.
miss_neko
what the hell!! i thought the manga wasn't going to be release until may 3. *gets piss*
AlphonseRules
I think that May 3 is when it is supposed to be released cause that is what all the websites say. But since I could only find it at Walden Books and that seems to be where everone else got it, I think that Walden is bending the rules and putting it on the shelf before they are supposed to. I definitly don't have a problem with it though.
Jellybean
I'm loving the sound effects. laugh.gif Apparently, alchemy goes "BASHOOM" and "SHABAM" and "Floop!". Ah sorry, I guess I'm just easily amused.
miss_neko
QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ Apr 27 2005, 05:09 PM)
I think that May 3 is when it is supposed to be released cause that is what all the websites say.  But since I could only find it at Walden Books and that seems to be where everone else got it, I think that Walden is bending the rules and putting it on the shelf before they are supposed to.  I definitly don't have a problem with it though.
[snapback]161948[/snapback]

i already know that. i'm piss because i wanted to get it when it first comes out.
Varuna
FMA manga getting released in the US in may?

Perfect!!
That means that it might be in Australia in a couple of months.
Umeko
QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ Apr 27 2005, 08:09 PM)
I think that May 3 is when it is supposed to be released cause that is what all the websites say.  But since I could only find it at Walden Books and that seems to be where everone else got it, I think that Walden is bending the rules and putting it on the shelf before they are supposed to.  I definitly don't have a problem with it though.

Well, I got mine at Borders... I think it just depends on when the people at the individual locations depend to put it out. I don't think it has anything to do with the bookselling companies (though Borders and Waldenbooks ARE owned by the same people...). Some bookstores often put out books about a week or so before the street date. I've seen manga out as much as an entire month before the official release date.
anime_manga_fan
I'm thinking of buying the US version, not sure.

Because I already got # 1, and 3 - 9.

Stupid Tsutaya didn't have #2, nor 10... *cries*
sharpieaddicted
it hasn't come out in borders yet. *waits*
but i did get a preview from a magazine.
Kyo_Umerio
QUOTE(sharpieaddicted @ Apr 28 2005, 12:27 PM)
it hasn't come out in borders yet. *waits*
but i did get a preview from a magazine.
[snapback]162367[/snapback]

Waldens doesn't have it yet either *cries*
MizukoMidori
QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ Apr 27 2005, 04:09 PM)

The Walden's Books that used to be in my area (They put a boarders in the mall, and took out Walden's) always got Manga early. I remember my friend would tell me that such and such Manga comes out on this day. And I would be like "Really, I saw that in Walden's a week ago"

I don't know about Boarders yet. Boarders owns Walden's, but they seem to not have the same service from my experience. I'm gonna go tonight to Boarders though and see if they have it.
Bunny Hooded Bombchu
My brother saw it at Waldens a couple of days ago. I guess it's out already.
Hagane No Renkinjutsushi {ED}
I just baught my copy !!! at walden books and before it was saposed to be released too date april 29
The date it was going to be realesed may 3
It just got there well i bought it i just still have to go and pick it up though but no rush ive already read it about three months back , and again last week
here you can read the first 46 chapters

http://groups.msn.com/FullMetalAlchemist/f...emistmanga.msnw

there are about 4 - 5 chapters per book so that amounts to a bit at the moment im waiting for chapter 47 rolleyes.gif
alchemist349
First of all, the nearest Borders will have it in about 3 days and 18 minutes where I live.Second of all, I have no idea why I'm saying second of all, because there's really nothing to add.
kkitty24
hi..i'm new here and i just wanted to say hi.....happy.gif and uhm...i just bought book one over the last weekend.....
angieness
Yeah my Waldens got it but sold out X_X we got them in at work but we can't sell them until May 3rd because they're apparently going in some sort of display I have yet to see
Kyo_Umerio
QUOTE(angieness @ Apr 30 2005, 01:14 PM)
Yeah my Waldens got it but sold out X_X we got them in at work but we can't sell them until May 3rd because they're apparently going in some sort of display I have yet to see
[snapback]163752[/snapback]

i've already seen the display, and i just bought the first volume today. its not THAT kewl, its basically just a cardboard set up to hold the manga in i think you can fit like 4 and there are i think 6 places to hold themand then theres just a thing of ed and All on top and thats it happy.gif its supposed to also hold a 24 page preview that you can also get in Animerica

Edit: i found an error on page 117, the say the state alchemist watch is gold o.O;;;
ok KKitty24 hi, the more people who like FMA the beter biggrin.gif
Jen_Elric
Yeah, Kyo, I saw that too! I was like, 'no. It's silver.' O_o But it was still good! Now to count down the weeks until vol2 comes out.
miss_neko
does the vol 1 have another format for the cover?? o.0

IPB Image

i saw the image on http://www.animecastle.com
angieness
It actually looks a lot better than that picture, while I still would have liked it to be black like it was originally it's not a nasty gray, it's a shiny silver metallic thing
miss_neko
so is that cover a special edition? or just normal
Kyo_Umerio
QUOTE(miss_neko @ May 8 2005, 11:17 AM)
so is that cover a special edition? or just normal
[snapback]168788[/snapback]

not sure yet because the earlier pics showed it being white... but all the ones i have seen thus far have been silver
thats the only one ive seen i think it is just the normal cover and i cant wait for the second book to come out it is beter than the first in my opinion
Tsukiko
yeah i think that's the only edition of it since i've been looking for the manga all over pennsylvannia and new jersey before thinkin' 'bout internet =_="
and i think the second volume is coming out in june, like at least in the big stores like barnes and noble or borders
angieness
They're really setting themselves up releasing the manga so fast, according to Viz's most recent sneak peak thing it's going to be bimonthly. But the 10th volume just came out heh at the very least we might get on the same schedule as Japan
Tsukiko
yeah well it could definitely be kool if we could get the release almost at the same time as japan, though i guess it's not gonna be so soon...
Actually, I got mine at Barnes and Noble. Picked up the last copy of FMA in the FMA floor display (it somehow had about every other manga on it, but only one slot with the actual thing on a FMA display...). But I bet they have more because I bought it cause it was relatively untouched (no fingerprints or creases so it wasn't pawed over first).

And it looks like Viz didn't screw up this time. (Unlike Naruto and Hikaru no Go... mad.gif )

Anyone know when chapter 47'll be out?

-AECK
Kyo_Umerio
QUOTE(angieness @ May 10 2005, 12:07 PM)
They're really setting themselves up releasing the manga so fast, according to Viz's most recent sneak peak thing it's going to be bimonthly. But the 10th volume just came out heh at the very least we might get on the same schedule as Japan
[snapback]170365[/snapback]

that would be very interesting, Japanese and American fans on the same page for like the first time ever? o.o interesting...
Tsukiko
lol yeah it would actually be interesting (let's not dream too much though *sigh*)
i have no idea when chapter 47'll come out soon i guess
Actually, if FMA did catch up to the current volumes coming out, Viz'll have an even better market because people will be less likely to get chapters off the internet if it's readily available in the US market. Especially if they don't mess up the translation.

But since the chapters come out monthly, and Viz is going bi-monthly with the volumes, which are about four chapters each... We'll eventually catch up. But it'll still be a LONG while.

But in speculation, ... if there ever was a current release of manga in the US...

-AECK

PS: Thanks Tsukiko. I guess the new thread answers my question though.
interesting point i always bthought i would catch up but that is just me i was concentrateing too much on it being full metal alchemist to see when or how ofter it came out
Preypacer
Yay! Just got mine! *grin*

For the comment on the "gold" watch instead of "silver" watch, one of the scanlations I have (maybe Toriyama World? I don't have it marked, but the surrounding chapters I have were from there) translated it as gold as well.

Personally I think silver, like the anime version, looks better than a gold watch, but isn't gold more traditional for pocket watches?

So how do people feel about the overall translation? I have only read fan translated versions, so I don't know how true Viz came to the Japanese version.
It's impossible for Viz to be printing the latest volumes/chapters at the same time as Japan because:

1. Volumes are made of chapters which comes out one chapter per month in Gangan. So no latest chapter in English every month. Viz doesn't print out a chapter at a time.

2. Volumes take time to compile and clean up and edit. Why do you think the books come out some months after the chapters?

3. It takes time for Viz to translate, set up the printing presses, do quality checks, then print the books. That will take some time, so it is not likely they will be at the same time as the Japanese releases.

The best anyone can hope for is a 1 month interval between the Japanese release with the English one, provided Viz can come up to Vol 10 before Japanese Vol 11 comes out.
Tsukiko
yeah i guess and this would indeed be really good ^^" *always happy anyway cuz the french are so late for fma so sleep.gif" lol ^^*
Steel Alchemist
no
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.