Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can Homunculi Have Children?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Pages: 1, 2
WhiteMike

This topic was carried over from another topic, so the question is, can humunculous have children? I believe that they can, because the only difference between humunculous and humans is that humunculous do not have souls. Everything about them is the same. Any thoughts?
dragonofchaos
um i read a fanfic wear envy had ed's child and sloth said that they couldn't
Full Blade Alchemist
Hm, I think they can have children. I mean, hey, why not?
dragonofchaos
they are artificail(sp?) humans or in other words created through the use of alchemy and that is why i think they cant*wants to name a humunculous but wont cause it it spoiler*
killerqueen123
Hmm,that's a good question...I really don't know
telepika
I still don't think homunculi can have children. But if they did, what would the child be called, human or homunculous? If homunculi had a biology that was exactly like a human's, that would mean they would produce a human child, logically speaking of course. But how can a real human be produced from a non-human? How can life be made from something dead, something that borrows its life from human lives?

Maybe the child would then be a homuculous child,
CODE
but aren't homunculi only born through a failed human transmutation?
There's no definite answer to this question.
Trip
I think they can and it would be a human child.

A Homunculus is simply a human with no soul (and special powers and whatnot). Therefore they should have the same anatomy as a normal human, and it's not like you need to have a soul yourself in order to 'bind' a soul to your child.
MomoLuv
In order to have children, I think that emotion is needed. The homonculous are soulless, thus emotionless, thus unable to function in that way... maybe Bradley was created after the conception of the son.
WhiteMike
How would Bradleys son be conceived before he(Bradley) was created? That wouldn't make any sense. Bradley is one of the only humunculous that can age, so if the son is about 8 years old, how could the child be there if Bradley can't concieve?
Sonic-Teal
I think they can becuase they have human anatomy. I could be wrong, but I don't think it requires a soul to have a child. Or one of the parents has to have a soul.

And Homunculi have emotions. Hatred, anger, envy (pun intended), and wanting (couldent think of any synonyms) are emotions even if negative. If Lust wants to become a human, if she didn't have emotions then she would not care wether or not she was artificial or real.
Zii
I think yes, but the child would be rather.. depraved? Screwed up mentally? Something like that.
AA battery
I think... homunculi's children would be sth similar to Nina that we see in episode 22 =\

WhiteMike: there is always adoption~ *what I am considering :x*
StateAlchemistElric
Possible Spoiler

One answer, no. They are not human, but creatures made by alchemy. Since we know the Greed is over a hundred years old, we know that they don't die like regular humans so there is no need to reproduce as the need to reproduce comes from the ability for humans to die. If they don't die, they can't have children.
WhiteMike
True, there is no NEED to reproduce, but it doesn't mean that it isn't possible. Lets get the definition of HUMUNCULOUS agreed upon first. I believe that a humunculous is a perfectly man-mad human, so perfectly made that there is no biological difference between man and humunculous. The only difference is the soul, or lack of in a humunculous's case. Since humunculous's do not have a soul, this allows them to be close to the red stones, which humans cannot do because, of course, they have souls. The red stones are what give the humunculous invincibility and their powers.
I believe that the lack of a soul shouldn't harm the ability of reproduction in humunculous (except in woman humunculous because the phetus would be so close to the red stones).

sorry, forgot something. yes, there always is the possibility of adoption Armor-Alchemist smile.gif
MomoLuv
^^a There is a HUGE biological difference between homonculous and man. For one thing, have you ever met someone who JUST WON'T DIE? tongue.gif lol. Anyways... You all know where babies come from, right? There has to be a reason that the act will take place... And I don't see any of the homonculous actually putting any of themselves in that position.

Lol.. Adoption is looking good. Selem isn't his (adoption, previous marriage, or just plain someone else's), which would then explain a lot.
telepika
Btw WhiteMike, where did you learn that homunculous have the same biology as humans? When Ed was fighting Greed, Ed said that homunculous have the same chemical composition as humans but composition is completely different from biological make up. biggrin.gif
WhiteMike
Actually, in the episode which you are refering too, Ed does say that the composition between humunculous and humans is exactly the same. He doesn't say chemical composition, just composition, so I assume that it can be seen in different ways. I saw it as a biological point of view, that the only difference between humunculous and humans is lack of a soul, blah blah blah... You obviously heard it as chemical compostion, meaning that they share the exact same amount of molecules, but there arrangement is totally off.
And btw, they don't once say in any of the Greed episodes that the biological composition between humunculous's is completely diffenent. Where did you get that from? If you can tell me the episode you heard that it would be very helpful.
Scar-San
No they can't
its simple because they don't born they made by alchemists
WhiteMike
so, because they were never born traditionally, they can't have children? They are perfectly created through alchemy, there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to reproduce.
telepika
blink.gif I was asking YOU where you learned that homunculi have the same biological composition as humans because that's what you mean, right? By saying homunculi have the same composition as humans so therefore they can have offspring. You mean biological composition instead of chemical composition or any kind of composition in that context.

What I was asking originally was where did you learn that homunculi have the same biological composition as humans because all I remember hearing was that they have the same chemical composition (In the Greed episode)? If you could prove homunculi have the same biological composition as humans, then it is undeniably true that homunculi can have children, logically speaking of course. You would win the argument. You would be correct.

So where is the evidence, WhiteMike? *A brilliant white light flashes on WhiteMike while everyone holds their breath, anticipating his next move* laugh.gif

(You realize this is just a casual challenge right?)
xyzknight
Homunculi can have kids with humans (i.e Selim- Bradley's child) but the kid will be totaly human because a homunculus is born only through a failed human transmutation.
Scar-San
Maybe selim borned when Bradley still was human blink.gif
WhiteMike
thats not possible because Pride is one of the only humunculous that can age, so selim would have to be much older. And like I said before, telepika, I think when we both saw the same greed episode, we both assumed a different meaning, true? You by the chemical way and me by the biological way. I will look over the series and try to find the answer, though, lol smile.gif (btw, if anyone can give any information is to where this evidence can be found, it would be greatly appreciated. You may even recieve a gift of money $$$. Well, maybe I lied...)
Karo
Maybe humunculous can have children.
But that would be very awkward for unreal humans to have children.
MomoLuv
Just because some one can age doesn't mean he HAS to be old. -.- I agree with Scar-san. ^^
WhiteMike
But since Pride can age, that means if he had had a child in his past life, then the child would have to be like over 50 years old (assuming that Pride is around 50 ish). If Pride aged too fast, then people would notice that something was up, and if he aged too slow, then he wouldn't look like that at all. Selem is not 50 years old.
darkangelslayer
Homonculus can adopt right?
WhiteMike
lmao, yes they can adopt
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(dragonofchaos @ Apr 19 2005, 02:19 PM)
[snapback]156365[/snapback]

*shudders*

That just gave me the most awful visual of Envy in stirrups grabbing Ed by his braid and screaming, "YOU DID THIS TO ME!!!"

(the medical kind of stirrups just to clairify)
alchemistgirl zero
I think I'd be a REALLY BAD IDEA for any of the current homunculi to have kids. ^^;;;;

Chibi-Gluttony: Dad, all the kids are school make fun of my weight.
Gluttony: Shut up and eat your dinner! It's starting to wake up!
Chibi-Gluttony: XP Alchemists taste icky!
WhiteMike
Well, it's no worse then just giving the child to a homicidal necrophiliac blink.gif
MomoLuv
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Apr 26 2005, 09:21 AM)

*shudders*

That just gave me the most awful visual of Envy in stirrups grabbing Ed by his braid and screaming, "YOU DID THIS TO ME!!!"

[snapback]160828[/snapback]

Ano.... Envy is male, right? blink.gif
WhiteMike
We can only hope...
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(MomoLuv @ Apr 28 2005, 08:39 AM)

*shudders*

[snapback]162310[/snapback]

Yes, he is. But he became pregnant in said fanfic because... well, it's hard to explain. It makes a decent amount of sense in the fic, though.

But, ah, Dark Humor. I totally worship that fic. XD Awesome plot.
WhiteMike
How could Envy get pregnant?
«°~Gluttony™~°»
QUOTE(dragonofchaos @ Apr 19 2005, 01:19 PM)

isn't Envy male huh.gif
uhm...hi......i think...uhm...let me thinkX_x
WhiteMike
How could so many people be confused over the sex of a person? lmao tongue.gif
«°~Gluttony™~°»
QUOTE(WhiteMike @ Apr 30 2005, 01:20 PM)
How could so many people be confused over the sex of a person?  lmao   tongue.gif
[snapback]163827[/snapback]

envy was suposed to be the result of Ed's Dad's failed alchemisation when he tried to bring back his first son
WhiteMike
so, if thats true, then Envy can't get pregnant. or can he... ohmy.gif
alchemistgirl zero
QUOTE(MomoLuv @ Apr 28 2005, 08:39 AM)

*shudders*

[snapback]162310[/snapback]

biggrin.gif

*cheesy 50s Leave-it-to-Beaver scene*
Envy: *entering* Honey, I'm home!
Lust: *is doing dishes and pregnant* Envy, do I look fat to you?
Envy: No, Lust, honey. You look just as attractive as we first met!
Lust: Oh, Envy, does this mean you'd marry me all over again!
Envy: Well, sure if you didn't have a beachball for a stomach.
Lust: dry.gif *stabs Envy with fingers*
Envy: @_@

Or...

Sloth: One these days, Lust, one of these days, pow! Straight to the moon!
Lust: Oh, Sloth...

It'd be an interesting scenario... laugh.gif
Toby-Chan
Can't you people just read the fic?

Ah, well, if you must know, the general setup was;

[spoiler]Envy's assignment was to steal Ed's watch so he'd have a harder time getting through military camps and such, thus making things easier for Dante and company to get around. Envy felt like making it into a joke on Edward, so he drugged him, (See; Girl scout selling 'cookies' and 'lemonade'), transformed into a prostitute, and they, uh, copulated. Envy transformed in the midst of it (To freak out Ed), thus opening the gate within him, and causing the initiation of a mysterious conception. And that's just the first chapter. tongue.gif So, yadda yadda yadda, Envy's body starts rejecting the red stones, he loses his power to shapeshift, and the others can't take care of him, so they give him up to Edward and Izumi to heal. Knocked up and in the hands of the enemy. Oh my...[/spoiler]

Yup. And that's barely where the plot begins.

Read it, fools.
telepika
Reminds me of the fanfic in which Hiei was pregnant with twins. "A Gift of Unusual Nature" by Windlily. Oh how I love that fic. biggrin.gif
alchemistgirl zero
This must sound stupid, but where can I find the fic? Is it here or on fanfiction.net? I wanna read it now but I can't find it...T_T
Envy V.1
could somebody show me a picture of all the humunculi?
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(alchemistgirl zero @ May 10 2005, 05:24 PM)
This must sound stupid, but where can I find the fic? Is it here or on fanfiction.net? I wanna read it now but I can't find it...T_T
[snapback]170612[/snapback]

'Course! Glad to be of service. (And to convert more Arty worshippers. Bwahahahaha! ::Is currently stalking/being stalked by her on DevArt)

Dark Humor- By Felis Deityus (Aka 'Arty')
Rated-PG-13 (Could almost be R with all the language. Envy and Ed are frequently forced to be in the same room together, so consequently, they swear like sailors) Also has strong violence and general naughtiness.
Spoilers- Contains spoilers up to the end of the series, however it takes place around episode... late 30 something.
Dark Humor
eliss_music
wait if homunculi are anatamicly correct, then females can birth. if evny is male but changes to female and stays female through the pregos then birth and morph back, is posible, no?
cuz its a few questions i had to a pre-story to a story i wrote which results in the post-story.

i only read this to answer these and found tons of confused fma fans and some cool fan fics.

why does my ninja hate me so? ph34r.gif i guess i'll never know!

(srry, its like 2:30am or sometime round den.night!)

envy in stirups? hm, now that will be in my brian all night! whoot!
eliss_music
wait..wouldn't a homunculus child be a mix of special powers and alchemy useing?

i just remembered i for got to add it last post.

night!
Siobhain_chan
They have no reproductive systems, therefore, no they cant.
Chibi Viki
okay, let me straighten some facts out.

In episode 44

[spoiler] Roy and Hohenheim are talking that night about the Homunculi and King Bradley. Roy still couldn't believe that the president was one. He tells Hohenheim that King Bradley has a son, but Homunculi CANNOT reproduce. Hohenheim tells him that Selim was just adopted. [/spoiler]

In manga chapter 48

[spoiler] Ling finally reveals to Roy, Ed, Al and Dr. Nox that King Bradley is a homunculous because he saw the ensignia on his covered eye. Al says he read on books that Homunculi are classified as lifeforms w/o the ability to reproduce, but King Bradley has a son, Selim. Dr. Nox tells them that Selim was just adopted and that King Bradley didn't have a child who shared his blood

It is also revealed in chapter 31, that Bradley is the latest addition to the "father's" children, the Homunculi. He was their trumph card -- born 60 years ago, he is the only homunculous that can age [/spoiler]

all in all, the answer is no, Homunculous cannot reproduce... besides they might look human, but they don't have the necessary "components" to for human reproduction.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.