Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 23 Discussion
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2
TheVileOne
Alright guys, here's our discussion thread for episode 23 of the series airing tonight. Tonight we see the aftermath of the 5th Laboratory incident and Ed and Al's encounter with the Homunculi. Ed is in the hospital nursing his injuries, while Al is severely damaged both physically and mentally since he now believes that his soul and memories are no longer real.

Anyway, these next two episodes are a HUGE blowoff to something that's been noticeably building up in the series.
ymsg
Yeah. Dare we contain our enthusiasm til 11:30 lol
KevLar
scar dies
ymsg
Even if Scar does die, *which somehow I doubt* then put it in a spoiler box.
Dreakon
Wow, if thats true that is quite a spoiler as I and many others havent seen this episode yet.

I saw 1 AMV with clips from this episode (I am almost sure) and I really wanted to see what happens. Now I get to, hurray for me! I love episodes with plot development over action, though both is always good. wink.gif This looks to be my kind of episode. I cant wait!
Kinbari-chan
QUOTE(KevLar @ Apr 16 2005, 04:04 PM)
scar dies
[snapback]154059[/snapback]

Actually he doesn't.
ymsg
Sheesh, that's good. I don't know enough about him yet ;D lol
Toby-Chan
Ah, 23. I love this one. Second sweetest episode ever. (Next to 17) <333
TheVileOne
I hope you guys kept your eyes peeled to see the two new crucial characters that were briefly seen tonight.
Kirara
I hope you guys kept your eyes peeled to see the two new crucial characters that were briefly seen tonight.

I know who you are talking about, I was very excited when I saw them biggrin.gif <3 <3 <3

Anyways I really liked this episode (although I liked the manga chapter more). Everyone's performance was top notch. My only complaint is Elysia sounded way too old. Oh well, she is a minor character anyways.
ymsg
Well, it's one a.m. I am sickened. That's the only word to describe. Al made me sick. Smacking Ed around. Good old Winry, Hughes... Elysia was too cute. But Al. Al had to go off and be an idiot, and not listen to Winry or Ed. No, he had to go off an break Ed's heart, didn't he?

As for two new characters, yup-o ;D.
Philosopher's Stone
Oops, double post.
Philosopher's Stone
Well the two crucial characters are just in the crowd of the train station, so it's hard to know which ones they are. Well, look for distinctive clothes, I guess.

And there really isn't any build-up, just some episodes to take a break from the heavy stuff.

Also... Elysia-chan dies...very violently...
I mean c'mon the, producers are twisted. No little girl EVER lives past puberty in this show. If you think what happens to Elysia-chan is twisted, just WAIT until you see the episodes about the alchemy-cult.

Gave you a heart-attack didn't I? I have fun at your expense.

But here's a little hint of things to come. Highlight to see, it won't ruin that much anyway, but just in case don't read it.

Hughes gets to become semi-important to the story-line.  And we all know what happens when a minor character gets thrown into the razor-sharp and rusty blades of the ceiling-fan of fate.  Imagine a turd if you would, thrown upwards...and it hangs in the air for an eternal moment...and...
Elysia-chan never actually dies, I was just tormenting you needlessly.

I know, I'm a bastard, giving you guys false hope and then yanking it away.
To those who didn't read the box: False Hope? What do you mean? Elysia-chan doesn't die does she? Does she? You can put your mind at rest, IF you read the blank box's hint. The answer lies in the Pandora's Box above. It's dark mystery beckons to you...I do so love elaborate torture.
AlphonseRules
Damn those FMA writers, I should have known that they would leave us hanging until next week. I really liked how Al was really blunt and "mean" whenever he answered a question. I also liked when Hughes explained to Winry that she is the one that the boys will talk to if they ever break down.
It was so sad when Al knocked Ed down and Ed was like, "Alphonse" real emotional like, and then you could tell that Al was sorry.
TheVileOne
Awesome episode where things that have been building up for quite some time finally come to a head.

There was a noticeable change in the English voice acting. Al was a lot more aggressive, venomous, and angry in the hospital when he spoke. "Drink the dumb milk." In the Japanese version he's very thoughtful, and somewhat...internally sad. He doesn't really become scary and angry until the end of the episode where Ed tries to fix him. But I liked this approach in the episode, it was different, and they made it work.
AlphonseRules
I liked how the whole milk scene was getting funnier and funnier and then Al just shut it down and went out on the roof. It made it seem extra sad because I was laughing a second before.
The scene on the roof was great too. Al was so evil sounding when he said "My so called brother". He would even more awesome if he was mad like that more often.
Otacon1
I..cant believe it...this is my first post and I missed the whole episode except the roof scene...right when he says "my so-called brother" and I was already balling! Curse the evil world...and is the anime really done in two more episodes? I believe it not!
Philosopher's Stone
QUOTE(Otacon1 @ Apr 17 2005, 12:40 AM)
I..cant believe it...this is my first post and I missed the whole episode except the roof scene...right when he says "my so-called brother" and I was already balling! Curse the evil world...and is the anime really done in two more episodes? I believe it not!
[snapback]154479[/snapback]

dry.gif
Why...yes...yes it is, they're never gonna air another episode again after those next two.

On to other conversations: Why does this board attract dulllards who never seem to be able to find information on the internet for something they have a fanatic obsession for? I guess I overestimated the unwashed masses.
CursedAnubis
My respect for Alphonse dropped when I viewed this episode. Given that Al has the maturity of a younger child, I found it dissapointing that Al would jump to such huge conclusions after listening to Tucker and Barry of all people. I mean come on, doesn't Al realize that they're both insane? Seriously, Al's lack of trust and patience with Ed was frustrating for me to watch because he acted like a spoiled child and didn't even give Ed a chance to explain... Al obviously didn't think his conclusions through very carefully.

However, I found the parts of the episode that were more focused on Winry more interesting because we get to see more of what she is like and how her relationship with Ed develops. I must say Winry looks much better in her non mechanic outfit lol

>> I saw the back of
[Spoiler] Izumi Curtis' [/Spoiler]
head. rolleyes.gif
Who was the other person? I missed him/her/it because I was focused on the aformentioned person

Why...yes...yes it is, they're never gonna air another episode again after those next two.

Umm... Yes they are, there's just going to be a several month(?) hiatus while the finish dubbing the rest of the episodes.

I can't wait for next week's episode! I hope Al will raise my respect for him by doing something a little more mature than smacking an injured person and running away before even really talking about the issue.
QUOTE(CursedAnubis @ Apr 17 2005, 03:43 AM)
My respect for Alphonse dropped when I viewed this episode. Given that Al has the maturity of a younger child, I found it dissapointing that Al would jump to such huge conclusions after listening to Tucker and Barry of all people. I mean come on, doesn't Al realize that they're both insane? Seriously, Al's lack of trust and patience with Ed was frustrating for me to watch because he acted like a spoiled child and didn't even give Ed a chance to explain... Al obviously didn't think his conclusions through very carefully.

However, I found the parts of the episode that were more focused on Winry more interesting because we get to see more of what she is like and how her relationship with Ed develops. I must say Winry looks much better in her non mechanic outfit lol

>> I saw the back of
head.  rolleyes.gif
Who was the other person? I missed him/her/it because I was focused on the aformentioned person

Umm... Yes they are, there's just going to be a several month(?) hiatus while the finish dubbing the rest of the episodes.

I can't wait for next week's episode! I hope Al will raise my respect for him by doing something a little more mature than smacking an injured person and running away before even really talking about the issue.
[snapback]154497[/snapback]

[spoiler] the other person was right next to her. Her husband, Sig Curtis [/spoiler]
ymsg
CursedAnubis, you are SO right. All the respect I had for Al died right then and there. I couldn't believe him; taking the word of two sick, sadistic and twisted whack jobs over his own brother. His tone was blunt and curt, making it very obvious something was wrong, and I didn't note a 'thank you' for the repairs on his body.

He really is a child, and that said to me that he hadn't matured at all. He can't even trust Ed, or Winry? It broke my heart to hear Ed say that little, "Alphonse.." and Al just spouts off, "KEEP AWAY FROM ME"

I thought I'd go nuts! He's such an idiot. Poor Ed.
KILLjoy
i just couldnt understand why Al would do that.

I mean he has Ed and Winry to tell him that he was a real person before the accident that got him to be a suit of armor. he remembers his mom and everything so its just plain stupid that he would belive in Barry the butcher...
I mean if that guy came up to you on the street and told you that you are not the person who you think you are... Hes like mental.... 0_0
Ymsg: Al's rage was just, he was only afraid....Afraid of what Barry said there may had never been a 'Alphonse' and Tucker's 'gloatting of his plans' confirmed that fear. The two are sick, but they seem to had all the prvodial answers to most of the questions the Elrics need to know. You, myself, and anyone else would do the same thing if we came to believe that our reason to exist was some sort of sick joke that everyone's in on.

But the next episode would settle Alphonse's crisis, with the root of this trouble taken out.
Philosopher's Stone
I assume neither of you guys have watched Ghost in the Shell? Well that's what Al's going through. He's a proverbial Ghost in the Shell, tee-hee...
FullMetal_Edward
QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 17 2005, 08:30 AM)
QUOTE(CursedAnubis @ Apr 17 2005, 03:43 AM)

>> I saw the back of
head.  rolleyes.gif

[spoiler] the other person was right next to her. Her husband, Sig Curtis [/spoiler]
[snapback]154532[/snapback]

I thought I was just sleepy when I saw
[spoiler] Izumi and her husband[/spoiler]
CursedAnubis
Omg, too many good moments in this episode. Here's my episodal screenie post smile.gif
Ed may be able to draw perfect circles, but his picture of Envy looks like crap XD.
Hm... Hughes seems to be losing patience and respect for Roy
Anyone have a picture of Sig from the front? I confess that I am curious as to what he looks like.
ymsg
I think it's because Hughes respects Roy, he's with-holding information from him.
Not sure if this is a spoiler, but Just in Case:

[spoiler] I think Hughes is keeping this from Roy so he can gather more info, and put Roy in the right position to move up in the ranks.[/spoiler]

His Envy doodle sucked, lol.
Ymsg: I agree, as Hughes said it's better that Roy doesn't hear about this as it would worry the Flame Alchemist to hear about the Homocunli & their interests with Ed.

It sound be noted that Elica sounds like she was voiced by a little girl in the US dub.
TheVileOne
The reason Hughes didn't tell Roy is because Ed, Al, and Hughes have obviously learned about and stepped into something really messy. Hughes is keeping Roy out of the loop in order to keep him safe for now.
_alchemist
regardless, i LOVED alphonse in this episode. in the original japanese version, he doesn't have *that* much attitude but in the english dub he totally bitched at Ed. ahh, makes me love his voice actor even more! he's doing such a great job

especially the part when he harshly says to ed, "Shut up," in that eerie tone. Oh man, i can't wait to see how this dub will progress as they get into the deeper episodes later on.
min951
That episode was okay. Hughes was awesome, the way that he takled to Winery!! I almost cryed. On the other hand I could of smacked Al. He was really rude to his family, I couldn't believe it. I guess he is a little kid though. The best part of the episode was really small. The part at the train station with those two charaters. My favorite charater was on, and I thought I was going crazy. I wonder what she sounds like? The episode wasn't action packed but still good with showing the charaters.
AlphonseRules
QUOTE(CursedAnubis @ Apr 17 2005, 06:43 AM)

>> I saw the back of
head.  rolleyes.gif

Al has been attached to that armor for three years now and he's barely complained about it at all. I think that the events in the past few episodes just caused him to break down. You've got to remember that he's just a little kid and he doesn't know why he can't remember things. I blame Ed as much as anyone because he has been holding back something about Alphonse for a long time now.
fmaedfan
My bro says al is weak for running away but he has never seen any eps before and he dosnt kno what happened to the past of elric bros i think it is really stupid how my bro talks about whatr he dosnt kno
Panzer Dragoon
mad.gif Ok, here's a little recap for the bastards who think Al has no reason for being so mean:

Episode 17-Ed attempts to ask Al a question and fails. Al thinks,"I wonder what he wants. Well, he'll tell me later, I guess." He also wonders why he can't remember his other friends and some of his memories. He takes Ed's advice and thinks,"Yeah, maybe I am forgetting stuff because of all of this." He tries to shrug off his other opinion.

Episode 21-A freak by the name of Barry the Chopper (<--S.O.B dry.gif ), also being a suit of armor, tries to scary Al by saying he may have never been human. Al thinks,"I bet this crazy guy is just lying, but that question Ed didn't want to ask me... NO!!! It can't be true." Scar scares off Barry and Al reflects his doubt about his brother creating him only for a short while.

Episode 22-The chimera-creating psycho boasts about his plans about inplanting memories in his Nina clone. Al, still trying not to believe it, gives in to is inner doubt. Al thinks,"Alchemists can inplant memories? Then, it must be true. The question, the proof you can inplant memories... Barry must be right." Al finally forfits to his doubt.

There you go. Your recap on how Al has gone crazy.

All I have to say about the episode is that it was very sad and when Al said,"Drink your stupid milk," or,"Shut up," my friend and I would go,"OOOHHH!!!" Que Jerry Springer.

Off-Topic: Sorry I haven't been posting pics for the last two episodes, I've been busy. I can't even post pics right now because I'm on someone else's computer. Sorry if I was rude on the recap. I'm just really pissed off because of you people not actually thinking about how Al feels. It feels like I'm attached to him somehow, knowing how he feels all the time.
ymsg
I don't disagree with you at all. I mean, Al had valid cause to be worried, and everything you just typed proves that. But did he have to overreact like that? Is that any reason to lose trust in the only family he has?
CursedAnubis
Even if Al has doubts and worries, I still think it was pretty dumb of him to run away from his brother who has the answer to his questions. Getting hysterical and fleeing from your only family member is kind of stupid in my opinion
Haldir of Lorien
Alphonse was wayyyyyy pissed off in that episode.HE IS SAD sad.gif sad.gif
*~Oashisu*~
Yeah, I know, I'm late.

I thought Al's voice actor was really great, just the way he made Alphonse seem so mad. Not to bust on anyone, but I do believe he reacted a bit too agressive. I understand that he was very confused and mad, but when he pushed Ed, that was outta hand.
The milk scene was cute. My friend was sitting there saying "I agree, milk taste horrible", and that made the scene seem more better. >.>
For a second when I saw You-Know-Who I thought I was going insane, like "WTF?!" insane.

Overall this was a great episode, and I can't wait to see the next one.
AlphonseRules
QUOTE(CursedAnubis @ Apr 17 2005, 08:33 PM)
Even if Al has doubts and worries, I still think it was pretty dumb of him to run away from his brother who has the answer to his questions. Getting hysterical and fleeing from your only family member is kind of stupid in my opinion
[snapback]154954[/snapback]

Yeah but at this point Al thinks that Ed has been lying to him his entire life and that all of his memories of being a kid and their mother are just fabrications that Ed made up. He is doubting his own existence. And even with all of that, you can tell that he feels bad when he knocks down.
Thetrippinfire
Ok, so this seems a little off topic... but they are always bring up Ed's birthday in the show it seems... why dont they ever talk about Al's? i mean it would make him feel more alive/ human wouldn't it?
ymsg
Yeah, I agree with thetrippin fire too, but Ed's birthday was used as a seguay (sp?) to use Hughes's advice to Winry, to go to her brothers and be their strong big sister.

Hey, Alphonserules, I didn't see any remorse from Al when he knocked Edward down. Notice that he said, "Stay Away From Me!" in response to that heartwrenching, "..Alphonse."
Jen_Elric
People, remember that Al is still a child. He thinks that he may have never existed (sp?). That's really heavy for anyone!! Put yourself in his place. I feel bad for him, for BOTH of them. I know it seems he may have overreacted, but, still, put yourself in his place. He right now does not trust his own brother, that's why he pushed him. And he ran away 'cause he felt bad for hurting Ed, but didn't want to admit it to himself.
I think Ed should tell Al what he wanted to tell him, but was afraid to. It will help Al out.

The milk scene was hilarious!
Winry: "If you don't drink your milk, you'll turn into a bean!
Ed: "A bean?! "
Winry: "Yes, A BEAN!!"

*or something like that! tongue.gif)
TheToe Alchemist
Im glad to see Al say what he wants and not hold back...its a new side to him and in gald to see it.
Hes had to go throw so much crap and not say anything.
But after he knocked Ed down he did seem to act less pissed and more shocked of what he just did...thats why he ran off he was just confuzed and didnt know who to trust anymore....remember hes just still a kid.

I know Winry is going to play a good part of getting Al and Ed back together...cuz Ed cant talk nice alot of the time and Al would still be a little pissed a Ed of what he thinks he did...but thats just my thought
Again cant wait for next week to see what goes down.
Femalchemist
tongue.gif Yes, this was a very interesting episode. I think you all should remember that Al is only a year younger than Ed and he shouldn't have acted so childish but he is quite naive too. Ed has always been more mature than Al having stepped in as the father figure at a young age. It's natural for him to keep secrets to try and protect Al as much as possible for anything that's going to hurt him.

Also if Ed had given him false memories and love for his brother, what is he going to do all on his own? He'll still love Ed and want to be with his brother. I also find it weird that they never mention Al's birthday.

Winry was great. It's finally time they started to show more of her relationship with the brothers. As always I'll be waiting on pins and needles for the next episode.
Femalchemist
QUOTE(Kinbari-chan @ Apr 16 2005, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE(KevLar @ Apr 16 2005, 04:04 PM)
scar dies
[snapback]154059[/snapback]

Actually he doesn't.
[snapback]154127[/snapback]

You guys! Warn before you print spoilers! Now I'm really going to be on the edge of my seat waiting to see what's going to happen next. sad.gif
heheheheh....Strangly enough this reminds me of Shinji from evangelion. Everyone hated him b/c he was so whiny and such. I nevere could understand why this happens to whiny people (First Shinji (eva), then Albert (Gankutsuou), and now Al). Remember that in a way, he was doubtful of his exsistance. even though he knows Tucker and Barry are insane, they are older and have more experience. And Ed was so hesitant about his question...to add on to that, he is going onto 13 or somewhere in his teens. A typical teen is very moody even to those they care about.
AlphonseRules
QUOTE(ymsg @ Apr 18 2005, 09:02 AM)
Hey, Alphonserules, I didn't see any remorse from Al when he knocked Edward down. Notice that he said, "Stay Away From Me!" in response to that heartwrenching, "..Alphonse."
[snapback]155235[/snapback]

Yeah, but when he says that his voice has a less angry tone to it. I just saw it like he really regreted hitting Ed.
ymsg
Well, okies. I saw it differently than you, is all. ^^;

I feel bad for Al too, don't get me wrong. I mean, I don't like him anymore cause of what he did to Ed, but I don't blame him for being scared. He's really only a child, ten years old and very confused. I do feel bad for Al but I don't appreciate all the agression he felt toward Ed, although the whole thing really is his fault.

Sheesh that was a contradiction within itself lol
Falling_Man
Loved it. The interaction between Ed an Winry was funny at times. Hughes gave Winry a few good points. Al was pissed off and confused. Aren't a lot of us?
Ed_Elric_Fan
O.K., right now I hate Al. I know I'll like him again in a few episodes, but he pissed me off so bad! I do feel sorry for him, but he was actin like such a little kid! I started crying a bit at the end when Ed was yelling for Al to come back... poor Ed!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.