Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chapter 38 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others)
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Manga
Pages: 1, 2
WarzoneCommand
First time FMA manga readers, please post your thoughts and discussions on chapter 38 here. smile.gif

For info about the "Reading Reference", go to page 5.

=================

Woot !! Chapter 38 Scanlations are online !

Anime Source is the place to be

So excuse me now, I 'm going to read it right away biggrin.gif

Edit:

woot, chapt. 38 realy rocks, I just read it and the story gets more interesting with the episode.

Lets hope roy will be able to get the philopers stone again and burn it or something to get rid of Lust

<Edited by Michiyo- on Feb. 20, 2011>
Sorry everyone, but I think Havoc is about to die. I didn't belive it when I heard it but now...

I hearby declare Hayate to the Hero of the Day, without him out would have been bad.

But where did Armstrong and Ed go? What did Armstrong say? Something about the the metal-arm was broken? I didn't get that part.

Well now I can't wait for chapter 39!
TrueAlchemist
No, we have Al.
He will save the day.

Thanks WarszoneCommand for informing me and others about new chapter.
RolfKaese
I just uploaded the chapter. check my site for link.
TrueAlchemist
I will.
Cherry
Wow... That was... something.
I just finished reading it. Can't say I'm all that surprised about a lot of it, but the last few pages were kinda unexpected. O.o;; But if Havoc has to die, better him than Roy. (No offense to Havoc fans.) It seems like he really stepped in it this time. Maybe it's Riza's turn to drop by and save him?

And will someone please kill Lust already? Just when I think she's dead, she comes back! -.-

But anyway, Hayate is the hero. happy.gif ...And what DID happen to Ed? ~_~ I don't wanna wait another month to find out.
TrueAlchemist
No, Lust cannot be dead.
She is too hot to get killed.
smile.gif

We need her.
Kasumi
Havoc better not die. Hopefully, Al can use the philosopher's stone and use it to heal Havoc and Roy... Then again, that doesn't seem entirely possible, since Lust is regenerated from the stone. Which means, unless the stone is destroyed, Lust will not die...
TrueAlchemist
Al might be save both Havoc and Roy.
I think he is more power in the field of Alchemy than Ed at this point because he saw more thing than Ed. It is only theory, but I think Al might come up with some kind of Healing alchemy to cure Havoc and stop Lust.
And, hopefully find time to run.
Before Wrath(Bradley) comes with his swords.
laugh.gif
RoyxRiza BigFan
mmm if the manga countinues still...like another 10, 20 more volumes don't think they would kill anymore main chars that fast yet
Chibi Viki
i'm hoping fma won't reach more than 20 volumes though so that if it ever comes out in english, i would be able to collect it (30 volumes is just too much T_T)
and if tokyopop is the one that will license it...

yeah, this chapter is the best chapter yet ^^

so many revealations in one chapter!

it'll be too risky for bradley to come and show them his true identity... but then again, this is arakawa-sensei...
Rinslet
I donīt think FMA would reach more than 15 volumes, actually, i HOPE so, i canīt wait to see a niiice, cute and happy end (no, iīm not a huge shoujo fan, but i NEED something happy PLEASE T.T)

chapter 38: HAVOCīS NOT DEAD AND HE WONīT DIE !!! Roy either ō_ó but i canīt stop thinking "what if...?" Hope Riza donīt die saving Roy T.T is her will, but, hope no one dies T.T
Actually i heard there was a total of 26 Vol...idk how they knew lolz...but idk..
Chapter 38 is like..Vol. 9ish? i hope it doesnt go over 20....if they do...they're prolly dragging it out too much....idk.

Where is Ed....it seems like Al and Roy and all the others are taking care of all the business now..lolz.. hm... Ed's on vacation for now cool.gif
Crimsonblade
QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ Aug 15 2004, 05:53 PM)
i'm hoping fma won't reach more than 20 volumes though so that if it ever comes out in english, i would be able to collect it (30 volumes is just too much T_T)
and if tokyopop is the one that will license it...

yeah, this chapter is the best chapter yet ^^

so many revealations in one chapter!

it'll be too risky for bradley to come and show them his true identity... but then again, this is arakawa-sensei...

Has there been any information released as to who is going to liscense the manga?
Na, they havent said anything yet.

One half of me hopes it's ViZ, the other half not. ViZ is good but their translations are sometimes awful (example: in the first number of Naruto they renamed Kage Bunshin no Jutsu to Art of the Doppelganger, and Byakuugan is going to be called Evil Eyes).
RolfKaese
fma will make up to 20 volumes i think. as many times said, she wants the series to go veeeeeeeeery long...
Kasumi
20 volumes is fine...as long as it doesn't go over. I don't want something like Inuyasha or Ranma with 38 volumes... But I have a feeling FMA wouldn't go that long, because it's released on a monthly basis...
RolfKaese
Ranma is cool :,3
Kasumi
I didn't mean it that way! Ranma is one of my favourite series, but because it has 37 or 38 volumes, it becomes very expensive to buy them all. Same thing with Inuyasha...
TrueAlchemist
But, it will take some time if it reaches more than 30 volumes.
Each volume contains 5 or 6 chapters, It means there are only 2 volume for each year.

Now do the calculation!!
It will take some time.
Kasumi
Actually, for FMA, it's 4 chapters per volume.

I guess it's one thing if I've already started collecting the volumes, but for series such as Ranma, I'll have to start from the very beginning...
TrueAlchemist
Kasumi,
It is my advice, so it is upto you to follow or not.

First, Ranma 1/2 is good manga. It is worth to buy all of them or download them if you want.

Second, you do not have to buy them one by one. You can buy from anywhere as long as you know the begining. Most of stories are separated, so it is fun to read from any where.

Third, you can also download them from irc channel or download from websites.
You do not have to buy them. But for this issue, it is upto you to decide.
BlueRakuen
I read the chapter just before going to work (was late because of it T_T) and couldn't get it out of my mind from 5 to 11 pm blink.gif
I kept making mistakes... meh...

GAH!! NOOOO!! HAVOK CAN'T DIE!! AND ROY EITHER!!! They're like.. the two hottest guys from FMA (after Ed of course X3)!!!
I doubt Roy will die... but not sure about Havok TT__TT
Chibi Viki
i'm still hoping that tokyopop is the one who will license FMA since Viz already massacred Naruto (turning its mature dialogue into childish version)...

Dark horse is okay, but I rarely see their work and their release is slow...
Noriko
Naruto was definately screwed... *shutters from the just looking at the translations*

If Tokyopop or any other company were to license the FMA manga, would they still use the cover jacket (the all great smooth texture, god bless it)?
Kasumi
QUOTE(TrueAlchemist @ Aug 17 2004, 02:27 AM)
Kasumi,
It is my advice, so it is upto you to follow or not.

First, Ranma 1/2 is good manga.  It is worth to buy all of them or download them if you want.

Ranma is actually available at my local library. laugh.gif
Actually, I have rented the chinese version of Ranma at a manga/magazine store a few years back, so I have read all of them. So, if I do get the manga, it's only for collecting and re-reading purposes. Not to mention, I'd rather get the anime version instead, because manga here in Canada are EXTREMELY expensive. (If I lived in HK, getting the whole set wouldn't be too much a problem, 'cause manga is pretty cheap.)

If Tokyopop or any other company were to license the FMA manga, would they still use the cover jacket (the all great smooth texture, god bless it)?

If it was Viz, they'd release it as "limited edition." That's what the did with Naruto.
Noriko
What's the price difference in the limited and regular? (hasn't really bought anything Viz lately)
Kasumi
I don't really know the price difference, I just saw the ad in Shonen Jump. (the February issue, I haven't bought anything Viz afterwards.) It said something about only releasing 5000 copies...
Chibi Viki
tokyopop doesn't release manga w/ jacket (so far). but then again, i wouldn't exchange it for their quality of work. they try to translate the dialogue as close as possible to the original, they also retain original sound fx text (w/ small notes of translation) AND they keep them in original right-to-left format.

Aside from that, they're cheaper to buy than viz.

I used to buy viz and recommend them above all else (that is before tokyopop showed up)... but delayed releases of their products and the high retail price just drove me nuts. their books weren't as sturdy either and would destroy your collection when they suddenly change their mind about some of their details... like Utena, my friend's collection is ruined because her books' sizes weren't the same (halfway, they produced bigger books and discontinued the smaller ones... or was it the other way around?) and she has to buy new copies of the old ones just to perfect it. 5 volumes already took around 2 years or so to collect! it's stupid!

tokyopop releases every two months and if they have delays, it's usually only about a month or so. their books are sturdy and paper quality is good.

ahehehe, yeah, i'm such a manga-freak ^^
TrueAlchemist
I think main problem is with translators more than publishing company.

we are hardcore manga fans, so we read many mangas, and we know what words in English should work best for each dialog in any comic books.
But, I do not see translators in publishing company in U.S know as much as we are.
Sometimes, it feels like they just translate things right from the dictionary.

And, it also apply to anime field, too.
I hope, they hire some manga fans more than just translators.
wolfi1412
sorry for jumping to this, but .. can we stay on topic? this 'manga' thing is off topic..
Havoc... I dunno, something tells me that he might die from bleeding..
Roy....don't think he will die... cuz he's one of the main characters, killing a main character in this early volumes, the manga would be short
Omakase Shimasu
The manga's going whacko. I'm actually having a hard time keeping up. There are way too many things happening all at once!!

....um, what was the purpose of sending Barry's body over to Barry? Lust was saying something weird about soul and body being attracted to each other, but... blink.gif

Hmmm, does this mean "Father" is located at Central? I had this nice image of an underground cave in Rizenbul somewhere, but seeing as Lust didn't have much trouble traveling from point A ("Father") to point B (Roy and Havoc)... Either she's super-quick or she can transport herself like Gokuu.

blink.gif And Roy's got the same speed-boosting powers as Lust, it seems.

I still say Barry's gonna crash the party there. biggrin.gif In my happy happy world none of the guys die next chapter~
The soul and body being mystically attracted to each other means that the Sins can just follow the Barry (body) who will be attracted to Barry (soul) based on instincts. The Sins don't need to go find out where Barry (soul) is, they only need to follow Barry (body) to do so.

The 'Father' is very likely in Central or very nearby as seen in Chp 31 where Wrath brought Greed to meet 'Father' and gang.
Chibi Viki
yeah... like what guest said...

the homonculi are after barry, they need to silence him since he knows some secrets about the 5th lab. if he spills the beans, it might become a problem to them later on. let's just say that barry, right now, is like a witness to a murder and the murderers need to silence him before he tells the police.

anyway, since the homonculi don't know where he is, they sent his body to find him. it's like a magnet pulling to the one metal that it is attracted to.

the 'father' seems to be located in Central since it seems like he's hiding w/in the capitol of central, right under the nose of the military...

here's another question, since lust didn't know, or could not have possibly known what the current situation was since she was with 'father' and gluttony and envy have not yet repoted back, how come she suddenly appeared in the 3rd lab? how come she knew where to find them immediately?

my theory is that their real hiding place is in the 3rd lab and roy and havoc had just come close to finding it/discovering it and they just happened to stumble in lust.
Omakase Shimasu
Thanks for the explanation guys! ^_~ Couldn't have done it better.

ohmy.gif Uh-oh! But if what you say is true about "Father" and Lust, Roy and Havoc are in some deep serious trouble.

Poor Envy though... Getting killed over and over again. Not to mention being squashed by Gluttony in the process... ( dry.gif Tough cookie, isn't he?) ...and than the dog incident.

....you didn't really mean "stumble in lust", did you? tongue.gif While I can see them both (c'mon now: Havoc? Roy??) stumbling in lust, I don't think that's what you meant.
Chibi Viki
oh, sorry, i meant "stumble into", meaning to bump into, or unintentionally meet her there.
TrueAlchemist
Do you guys think there is a limitation for homuculus?
Homuculus seems to have many lives inside of their body by using p.Stone.

I think P.Stone holds certain amount of lives.
Do you think they can be killed after certain time??
wolfi1412
yeah... but a long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long , long time. remember? one philosopher's stone, took a lot of human lives. and yeah, probably Lust was in patrol or she heard someone comes inside
TrueAlchemist
I am asking this becasue Lan Fan said, she felt 20 lives in Envy, so I thought there might be some kind of limitation on him or other homuculi.
Ninie
It makes sense, since Wrath once said to Greed "How many times do I have to kill you before you will die?" and "This would be the 15th time you had died. How many more times after this?"
TrueAlchemist
Nienie, you are right,
But, I didnot use because it was ch 38 thread.

Now, it is mentioned two times so far about numbers of lives that homuculus holds.
Hmm, I think it will lead to many new fun thread.
laugh.gif
Omakase Shimasu
But if "Father" can re-create them than it shouldn't make a difference right? He can keep resurrecting them over and over again. So~o if you kill "Father" you should be able to beat the Homu-club! ...after killing them 20 or so times, I guess. biggrin.gif
Chibi Viki
QUOTE(TrueAlchemist @ Aug 19 2004, 01:56 AM)
I am asking this becasue Lan Fan said, she felt 20 lives in Envy, so I thought there might be some kind of limitation on him or other homuculi.

Lanfan did mention sensing more people when she sensed Envy... she said 20 OR MORE... so I don't think she was talking about Envy's lives. Plus, if that were the case, then she should have also sensed Gluttony since the tower wasn't that far away.
Actually I think Envy was much nearer than Gluttony to Lan Fan. The tower was supposed to be for sniping purpose, indicating quite a far range. Furthermore it is quite easily seen to be 3 or more blocks away.

The location of Envy cannot be proven but I suspect he's nearer because otherwise Lan Fan would have gone to Gluttony instead. I suspect their 'sensing' ability is limited to a certain range. In fact the more I think about it, the more I think Envy was actually up on the roof of the building they're in...
wolfi1412
well, good theory Guest, I also agree, LanFan might have thought that Envy is nearer, and nearer means more danger, or she could've sensed that Riza was near Gluttony and not really worry about it?
~Crystal_Starz~
I've been watching too much of those chinese martial arts shows, but i'm pretty sure that LanFan sensed Gluttony as well, she just seemed that Envy was more of a threat in their current situation, because she really had no idea why she could sense over 20 different beings in one human body. The 'qi' she detects from Envy was probably far more threatening than that of Gluttony, probably because Gluttony only has the mentality of a child and his qi wouldnt exactly compare to Envy's even if he excels him in both speed and strength.
Omakase Shimasu
I'm a fruit. When did LanFan say Envy had so many lives...? blink.gif
Kasumi
I don't remember LanFan saying anything like that either... Except the part when LanFan asked Envy how many people are in him...
When Barry (body) charged in, Lan Fan said "10...... 20... no, more than that"

Then her next statement is "Don't worry. They are bundled in one spot, with no signs of movement"

Talking about more than 20 lives in one spot, then going to Envy and asking Envy how many are inside of him means he has that initial lifecount inside of him.
Kasumi
Oh! I remember now! Thanx! ^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.