Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do You Hate Dubbing?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Celestial Shadow
What I mean by anime elitists, is that usually the people who are hate dubbing. I don't really understand why people hate dubbing (unless it's like in Yu-Gi-Oh! or something) I think it's good that they're dubbed, it makes it seem a little more realistic to people who don't speak Japanese, because sometimes the direct translations on the subtitles sound a little funny. I think an example of good dubbing would be Fullmetal Alchemist itself. I've watched it in both Japanese and English and I think the English voices are just as good.
Philosopher's Stone
It's just a little annoying when characters make that one unecessary pause in speech because the lips stopped moving or when a certain part is painfully over-acted. Most times the voice just doesn't seem to fit the personality of the character.

About the best dub job that I've seen is the one for Cowboy Bebop, where every voice seemed perfectly appropriate for the character.

I dare you to watch Evangeliion in anything but the original Japanese. It is really that painful. It doesn't make anyone an elitist when they don't want to suffer through that level of pain.
Shinji sounds like a fat kid. Rei sounds too much like an adult. Misato and that one scientist-chick (can't remember her name) sound like dumb-blondes. And I'm pretty sure I don't wanna hear the Asuka's english voice-acting. *shudder*
Celestial Shadow
Well I had a problem with Chrno Crusade's voice acting at first, but then I wanted to see what they were seeing in English so I managed to bear with it. I understand sometimes it can be horrible but not all the time like most people try to say.
Philosopher's Stone
Nope. I think a lot of anime really does sound terrible when dubbed.
Utena, Inuyasha, Last Exile and so forth. Anytime that the dubbing is actually okay, I'd still prefer the Japanese simply because it still sounds a little funny in English. Voice-acting just isn't a profession that is taken seriously in the United States.

In Inuyasha, Kagome's voice is annoying and high-pitched, making me not care what obvious fact or opinion that she has to contribute. Inuyasha is hard to take seriously when he growls, threatens or bitches. Naraku sounds too much like a generic guy trying to sound menacing and evil.

About the only anime where I would *want* to watch dubbed is Cowboy Bebop.
Toby-Chan
I like a lot of dubbing, but generally, I prefer subs. (Raws too, but my japanese skills suck, so subs are the way I go. The only series I've really watched primarily raw is Ojamajo Doremi, but that's uber simple, and nearly impossible to find fansubs for)
I think the original voice acting is always best, and the scripts are best if left unscrewed with, (Unless it's really necessary, or exceptionally clever).

Initially, I hated the dub for Fruits Basket, but it grew on me, and overall it fit. As for FMA, I don't think I'll ever sit well with that dub. I fell too much in love with the original cast to be able to accept something else.
NightMistress
For the most part, I'm not a fan of dubbing. I've just heard too many crappy ones for my taste. I'll deal with some if I can't get my hand on a sub though. I've watched my brother play some Japanese made games and I've had to walk out of the room because the dialogue was just unbearable. FMA's dub could be worse, but I don't like Ed's voice at all and the voices are just missing some of the soul that the japanese voices put into the characters.
xrninja
a big, fat, screaming YES. i'm an anime elitist. a lot of dubbing is flat-out terrible, but in general, i have other reasons as well.

i've said this in a lot of topics already, but for me, a character's seiyuu brings life to their character and fleshes out parts of that character's personality that animation can't bring out. i was just re-watching bleach 26, so i'll take ganju as an example. he's drawn as sort of a tough guy who has weird eyelashes and is terrified of his sister, and he's always yelling and squabbling with ichigo, but i think his seiyuu does an amazing job of really bringing his character to life, and showing how immature he can be at times and how much he respects his sister, and i can't think of another voice coming out of his mouth, japanese, english, or otherwise.

i think the same way for the other characters in bleach, or yakitate!! japan, or naruto, or hagaren. and i think the same way for american shows, so i'm against shows like looney tunes being dubbed into other languages as well. so for me, when you take away a character's seiyuu and give them another one, that's no longer the character i've watched and become familiar with. when you take away paku romi's voice and suddenly vic mignona's is coming out of ed's mouth, he's not ed anymore to me. to put it in extreme terms, my internal reaction is not too different from if i had heard spongebob's voice coming from ed's mouth.

i've tried watching the fma dub before, but hearing all these different voices coming out of their mouths just felt incredibly wrong to me. i also dislike how they try to liven up things in the english script a little and in the episodes i watched, ed came off as such a smartass punk, and i just felt that there was more to him in his character in the japanese hagaren. i just don't like tampering with a character, and this is admittedly selfish, but i really don't like it when the anime series i watch hit the american TV mainstream, and suddenly everybody and their mother knows about FMA and "al the kool armor dude."

another reason: when anime series with characters with japanese names are dubbed, why don't the VAs bother learning how to properly pronounce the names? "kaGOmay!" "murROkoo!" "ship-o!" "ree-oh!" and one of my favorites: "cow-rue!"

i also really don't like some of their acting and voices. like aaron dismuke's VAing, for example. hearing his whiny, scratchy, tin can "Brother!!" makes me want to run back to my laptop and play kugimiya rie's voice over and over again. and hearing joshua seth VA in half of the dubs out there is driving me crazy. and as hagane_no_tokage once commented to me, "colleen clinkenbeard couldn't act her way out of a paper bag."

ah, yeah, i'll shut up now. :X
Toby-Chan
Everybody seems to want to give Aaron Dimsuke some slack just because he's "Only Twelve". The bottom line is, though, twelve or not, he's simply not a talented actor. I've known plenty of child actors who could do better, and if they're hard to come by, plenty of women who can pull off children's roles well.

Xrninja, I agree about the spongebob in Edward's mouth thing. XD

On that note, has anyone ever heard Spongebob dubbed in Japanese? If you have... well, yeah. (Spongebob has a decent actor, but Patrick? Aaaaaaaaagh!)
luciferownsme
I hate dubbing most of the time, but it's mainly the Saturday morning stuff. I don't get enough channels to see other dubbed animes and the rental place I get all my anime from mainly has Japanese versions.

I like the Rurouni Kenshin dub, Kenshin sounds HORRRRRRIBLE in Japanese....he sounds like a girl...

Though honestly, unless the dubbing is a horrid job, I usually just go with whatever language I heard it in first.

Though Chinese dubbing trumps English dubbing in almighty lousiness... they add in stuff for no apparent reason. In Totoro, the small white thing and the blue thing(never learned the names since I never saw it in English and didn't understand enough Japanese when I saw it in Japanese) were screaming "There's a big pink monster running after us!!!!" and when they walk normally the white one goes "chi-chi-da" and the blue one goes "bum-bum-ba" and in the Japanese version they are completely silent!

The CHinese dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! is completely evil too. Yami Yugi sounds like a woman...I think it was the girl who did Sailor Uranus in the CHinese dub of Sailor Moon...
IronFlame
Cowboy Bebop's dubbing is brilliant they really did find a bunch of great voice actors but I prefer Anime in their original language tongue.gif
Zarpia
I have to said that after i watch FMA in japanese i stop likeing it Englis, except for Ed and Al voices, i like some anime better in spanish and some in english there not that bad.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Anime elitist snob here!

I like very few dub jobs. The ones I do like are Trigun, Cowboy Bebop and FLCL but that's just about it. For one thing they change a lot of dialog in the series because they have to sync up the voices to the characters so a lot of my favorite lines get changed in the dub because of that. Also, in Japan animations is a bigger thing than it is here in America and it seems the voice actors are more serious about their craft and show a wider range of emotion. Most dub actors don't convey the same range and it robs the character of some depth.

Take Ed's voice for example. The orginal voice actress Paku Romi did an excellent job with the emotional range and made Ed sound like a serious character, because that's what he was. Vic whats-his-bucket sounds too damn chipper. I keep expecting to hear Ed say "Oh boy Al! We're going to find the Philosopher's stone! I'll get you fixed up in a jiffy!" I want to slap Ed most of the time.

And don't get me started about Envy's drag queen voice or Gluttony's. I throw things at the TV whenever they speak.

So, in a nutshell that's why I perfer sub to dub.
NightMistress
What you all are saying about emotions and depth is exactly what I meant when I said the Japanese voices just give the characters more soul.

I think that Wolf's Rain was a pretty good dub too but the guy that voices Kiba also voices Vash from Trigun. He's pretty good but I expected no less since he had done power rangers for so many years (and was my fave character tongue.gif ).
I also liked the Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust in English (which was the first language it was dubbed in), but the Japanese voices didn't slouch in the least(though I still prefer the English for several characters).

Furthermore, I think a buddy of mine said that the Japanese voice actors actually go to voice acting college or something. Does anyone know if this is true?
hitokiri
if by elitist you mean i don't like inferior products made by people who wouldn't cut it as real actors, then yes....

like i have state plenty of times before, i am against ALL dubbing (though i do occasionally turn on SAP just for fun). if you don't understand, go to you local ethnic store and rent a dubbed copy of your favorite movie... my favorite is still citizen kane in arabic...

"but they are doing their best.... " you say... so what? if you ordered a burger and i gave you a silly putty sandwich that looked exactly like a burger and said it was my best, would you still enjoy it? no.

the simple fact of the matter is that american VAs are just not up to par for such a task, the translators and producers don't help either with their selective cultural translation. why do you think when the average person thinks of anime it all just tentacles, sailor moon, or big boobs? its cause these ridiculous clowns make everything they touch into a joke.

while there are a handful of good, not great, dubs; i view these as a statistical anomaly. if you play russian roulette with five bullets in a six shooter, you luck out sometimes but most likely you just create a big ugly mess on the ground.
Slashrose1010
I don't hate dubbing... I hate bad dubbing XD AKA:Yu-Gi-Oh, though I still watch it, but I plan to buy the unedited Jap DVDs in eBay. I think BeBop and Trigun were well dubbed and also FMA was well done so far, with the exception of a few recycled VAs. I like the dubbed voices most of the time, though I do like the Japanese voices. I also don't mind reading subtitles and I actually like the wording of funsubs and subtitled anime. It completely depends on what/if is edited and who is voice acting.

Final Thought: Best American Dub Ever=DBZ tongue.gif
Carnal Malefactor
There's good dubbing, and there's bad dubbing. Most of it is bad.

The best dub I've ever watched was Wolf's Rain.
Zarpia
I did like Wolf's rain, it was a pretty dub.
Elderberry
OK, I think my views in general have pretty much been voiced by others already...

QUOTE(Ninja-san)
when anime series with characters with japanese names are dubbed, why don't the VAs bother learning how to properly pronounce the names? "kaGOmay!" "murROkoo!" "ship-o!" "ree-oh!" and one of my favorites: "cow-rue!"
This is one of the main reasons i hate American dubbing, besides the voices themselves.
I suppose it's a small step that most of the anime dubbed nowadays manages to refrain from changing the names, but it's not making things any better if they can't even pronounce things properly. Thanks to CardCaptors (dry.gif), every American youth now pronounces the name of the Japanese cherry blossom "Suh-Kerra." And how about the 'Ama Kakeru Ryuu no Hirameki' technique from Rurouni Kenshin? They couldn't even agree on a consistent mispronounciation! mad.gif

QUOTE(Stone-san)
I dare you to watch Evangeliion in anything but the original Japanese. It is really that painful. It doesn't make anyone an elitist when they don't want to suffer through that level of pain.
Shinji sounds like a fat kid. Rei sounds too much like an adult. Misato and that one scientist-chick (can't remember her name) sound like dumb-blondes. And I'm pretty sure I don't wanna hear the Asuka's english voice-acting. *shudder*
I actually tried that! Misato...ughh...And they went waaay overboard with the "emotion" in Asuka's voice. Hikari definitely did not sound anywhere near 14. And...Ritsuko's assistant (I forgot her name...) sounded like a 40-year old. I thought that Rei's voice wasn't too bad, since it was supposed to be kind of emotionless, but it felt distinctly flat.

QUOTE(Toby-san)
Everybody seems to want to give Aaron Dimsuke some slack just because he's "Only Twelve". The bottom line is, though, twelve or not, he's simply not a talented actor. I've known plenty of child actors who could do better, and if they're hard to come by, plenty of women who can pull off children's roles well.
I'm happy to find someone who agrees with me. I thought that the dubbed voice of Aru was actually kind of cute at the start of episode 1, but his acting skills weren't very good, and it often sounded like he was reading a monologue from a paper (which is true, but it's not supposed to sound like that in an anime!). My baka friend keeps insisting that "He's only 12!" when I complain. dry.gif If he doesn't have the talent or skill to match the work of adults, than he shouldn't be there in the first place!

Another aspect that irks me about the dubs is when they spontaneously decide to give a weird accent to characters, such as the British accents of Botan and Kurama. What the heck!? mad.gif

...Wolf's Rain I have never actually seen, so I can't comment on that.
Sycia
I hate dubbing, and it's not restricted to just 'anime'. Really have nothing against the English language; it's just that dubs, no matter how good, can never translate or surpass the original feel and emotion of the original voices. I like my animes with Japanese, and I like the Matrix with Neo's English montonous tone.

.... I mean, I had to watch Star Wars with Ishida Akira as Luke. Cripes the horror.
Zarpia
I kinda agree and disagre with you Sycia
Agree: somethimes no matter how good the translation is, you just don't feel the same, but that hapens to me most in movies.
Disagree: is do like FMA better in jap althogh i saw it first in eng, but i don't prefer all anime in jap, i saw Dragon Ball in spanish and after i watch it in jap and eng, i didn't like it, same with Escaflowne, and others, but that's just me.
Dreakon
Eliteists are pathetic. You don't have to watch the dub, so you have no right to complain about them. I will admit a lot of dubs are horrible, but some of you just pick at absolutely everything in dubs like its your job...
Ava_Michelle
I really, really, really hate bad dubbing. Good dubs, like in Wolf's Rain or even FMA are fine. But bad dubs... Are they ever -bad-.
Deer-man: Don't accuse others of being elitist for expressing an opinion. In fact, ignore the fact, that anything we say is legitimate to an extent. In fact, pull the thumb outta your elitist ass whilst you're doing it.

Also while I'm at it: Stop drawing anime and clogging every orifice of the internet with your shitty fan-drawings. I'm pretty sure it especially gets to be annoying to the people on Deviant Art. Why bother to develop your own style of drawing (or even do it well) when you can create over-emotionally charged slop?
hitokiri
QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 17 2005, 02:16 AM)
Deer-man: Don't accuse others of being elitist for expressing an opinion.  In fact, ignore the fact, that anything we say is legitimate to an extent.  In fact, pull the thumb outta your elitist ass whilst you're doing it.

Also while I'm at it: Stop drawing anime and clogging every orifice of the internet with your shitty fan-drawings.  I'm pretty sure it especially gets to be annoying to the people on Deviant Art.  Why bother to develop your own style of drawing (or even do it well) when you can create over-emotionally charged slop?
[snapback]154441[/snapback]

deer man? who the hell is deer man? and this doesn't really help anyone's cause...
Eh. I can't be bothered to remember his screen name.
And *sigh* yes I'm referring to everyone who draws a bad anime pic, not just Dear. I felt like ranting pointlessly.
Dreakon
QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 16 2005, 11:16 PM)
Deer-man: Don't accuse others of being elitist for expressing an opinion.  In fact, ignore the fact, that anything we say is legitimate to an extent.  In fact, pull the thumb outta your elitist ass whilst you're doing it.
[snapback]154441[/snapback]

Are you talking to me, as I am the only one on this page with a name even starting with D so far.

An opinion is one thing, but when you go into every thread about the dub (whether its comparing the sub and the dub or not) and complain because Gluttony doesnt sound good or about how Envy sounds too femanine and how subs are superior to all dubs, regardless of quality, then you are an elitist. Something I consider pathetic. If you don't like something, why are you watching it and more importantly, why are you bitching to fans of the dub about it.

It's not your job to report to dub fans every time possible and tell them how much you dislike it, so stop trying to make it. Dubs are going to be made, and watched, whether you elitist sub fans out there like it or not. If you have an opinion, keep it in the Sub vs. Dub threads and NOT everywhere else.

P.S: You really should get more then the first letter of a users name before replying to their post...
hitokiri
QUOTE(Dreakon @ Apr 17 2005, 11:34 AM)
If you don't like something, why are you watching it and more importantly, why are you bitching to fans of the dub about it.

If you have an opinion, keep it in the Sub vs. Dub threads and NOT everywhere else.
[snapback]154533[/snapback]

well the same could be said about you coming here and getting all upset... you knew what was gonna happen here... so why did you come in here? do you see my point? people fight for thier opinions, thats human nature.... to deny this would be ignorant..

you say the same group of people are always the anti-dubbers, the same is true for the people that are pro-dub... thats just how things are... so why don't you just take your own advice and just not give a shit...
NightMistress
QUOTE(Dreakon @ Apr 17 2005, 11:34 AM)
If you don't like something, why are you watching it and more importantly, why are you bitching to fans of the dub about it.

It's not your job to report to dub fans every time possible and tell them how much you dislike it, so stop trying to make it.  Dubs are going to be made, and watched, whether you elitist sub fans out there like it or not.  If you have an opinion, keep it in the Sub vs. Dub threads and NOT everywhere else.

P.S: You really should get more then the first letter of a users name before replying to their post...
[snapback]154533[/snapback]

I think you're overreacting. EVERY thread doesn't moan and complain about the dub. In fact, I've heard a lot of people say that this dub isn't too bad. Furthermore, why make an entire topic about this subject when you KNOW what you're going to get? We are telling you why we DON'T watch the dubs for the most part. You make it sound as if we watch it, then moan and complain the whole way through. What usually happens is that we give it a shot, see that it sucks, and in turn decide to stick to the good stuff. That is of course unless it is a decent piece of work and you'll watch it just because it's on. FMA's dub is bearable but that still doesn't mean we can't appreciate the subs and feel that they are better. It's like a remake of a classic song. You can still listen to the new version and think it's not bad, while at the same time feel that the old one will always be the best. On the other hand, you can hear that it sucks and then turn the station everytime it comes on.

You don't hear people complaining too much about when they do a good job on a dub. I don't have a problem with dubs being around. I just think it needs to be done well and in most instances that sadly isn't the case.
Dreakon
Lol, maybe I am overreacting. I still hate elitists... wink.gif
Philosopher's Stone
Elitists? What elitists?
When was the last time you talked about how an actor will break or make a movie? Is it any different with voice-actors?

In fact, I hate most anime fans because they have the dumb fascination with the Japanese and decidedly lose all sense of taste just because it was made by the Japanese. Get over your dumb-selves and realize that "Samurai 7" sucks balls in every way shape-and-form despite all the money that was spent on it. Just because it's anime doesn't necessarily mean that I consider any better than watching "Dr. Phil" or "the OC".

That still doesn't change the fact that I greatly prefer subs to dubs.
Zarpia
Amen!!, yes i agree with you in some parts, i prefer some anime in jap, but not all, and i don't love anime more that my tv series.
TB Samurai
I don't mind dubbing, unless it's a very horrible dubbing where they use voices that don't match the characters, and they throw is cheesy jokes that weren't there originally. But if the anime takes place in Japan, I always will watch it subtitled because it makes more sense for them to be speaking in Japanese than English.
Kinbari-chan
There's the good sides and bad sides of dubbing in my opinion. The good is if the show's on TV it introduces the anime the the public. If they're hardcore anime fans and seem to think the dubs interesting they'll go out searching for subs of the show or will buy the subbed DVD's of the show. This is the case for me. I saw FMA on Adult Swim. Thought it to be interesting and then decided to watch the subbed version. The bad side is obvious. The voices usually tend to not fit the character...I believe the Japanese voice-actors put in personslity and emotion into their character that no English voice-actor can try to do. And it gets quite annoying when they cut out the tiniest of scenes when sometimes they are important to the plot. All in all, to me dubs are ok. If I buy a DVD with both the English and Japanese track I tend not to listen to it in English though. I just switch it to Japanese with the subbs...the way it is suppose to be watched. happy.gif
Mustang Fangirl
Thank god I'm not the only one. I was only able to sit through two or three dubbed episodes of FMA before I started wanting to scream and throw things at the tv everytime Al spoke. AAARGH!!

It is true though that you do become attached to the original voices, and anything else is just wrong. But they should have done a much better job than they did. I haven't even tried watching the dubs for most other shows. It does also seem to be true that the American voices don't put as much....'soul' maybe?...into the voices as the Japanese ones. I mean, you really believed that that was Ed talking, not an actor.
Quistis88
Even VG Cats made a comic on dubbing . . . well, anime licensing, to be more exact.

Anime Licensing

How I love VG Cats.
Philosopher's Stone
Heh...that one was a good one.
Celestial Shadow
Wow, haven't checked this thread in awhile... blink.gif

QUOTE(zarpia @ Apr 10 2005, 08:12 PM)
I have to said that after i watch FMA in japanese i stop likeing it Englis, except for Ed and Al voices, i like some anime better in spanish and some in english there not that bad.
[snapback]150336[/snapback]

I think Ed and Al's voice are better in Japanese, but at least Al's VA is actually a boy close to the character's age in the dub and I just love Ed's english VA as a VA anyway.

Really? I thought alot of their voices sucked.

QUOTE(Dreakon @ Apr 16 2005, 05:28 PM)
Eliteists are pathetic.  You don't have to watch the dub, so you have no right to complain about them.  I will admit a lot of dubs are horrible, but some of you just pick at absolutely everything in dubs like its your job...
[snapback]154110[/snapback]

Some do, and I hate them too, but I at least will respect their opinion as long as they respect mine.

QUOTE(Dreakon @ Apr 17 2005, 03:13 PM)
Lol, maybe I am overreacting.  I still hate elitists... wink.gif
[snapback]154759[/snapback]

You can hate 'em all you want, but don't let your emotions get in the way of making valid points.

I think it's good sometimes that they make "Americanize" the dialogue on shows, it makes it a little more normal sounding and easier to relate to for American fans. But also, since they are changing the dialogue, you're losing something too. So I recommend American fans especially to watch both dub AND sub.

My final thoughts on dubbing is that some can be just plain crappy and can make you want to cringe, some can be bearable, and some can be really good. It's up to you if you want to disown everything and say it's bad before you've heard it, that's your opinion and your decision if you want to do so.
Instead, channel your anger, control it and use it as a weapon! And then your journey to the dark side will be complettttte *hiss*. Use your aggression! *cackling laughter*
Slashrose1010
QUOTE(Celestial Fangirl @ Apr 19 2005, 03:04 PM)

Really? I thought alot of their voices sucked.

O.O I can't believe someone took that comment seriously laugh.gif

I don't think american anime corporations are as concerned with voice actors as the japanese are because anime is much bigger in japan than it is here. So of course the voice actors won't be as good. And yes, the voice acting in DBZ sucked.
Celestial Shadow
At first I didn't take it seriously but I was a little confused if people were being serious when they started agreeing...
mustangs_grl25
the dubbing of ren/len s voice just pisses me off I mean HE IS CHIENESE FOR RA'S SAKE!and they had a brittish dubbing rather inexputable.dang it now I am useing it WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMMING TO!!!???!?!
TheVileOne
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Apr 19 2005, 06:18 AM)
Even VG Cats made a comic on dubbing . . . well, anime licensing, to be more exact.

Anime Licensing

How I love VG Cats.
[snapback]155945[/snapback]

This an unfair generalization to me.

I don't see the stigma with English dubbing for anime. Companies seem to put a lot more time and effort into them nowadays, quality has certainly improved over the last decade. Plus, American licensing has given us such a wide variety and selection of anime to choose from. And you can find it just about every where now, it didn't used to be that way.

Quistis88, I think you fail to realize that the real people to blame about the butchering of the material the Japanese production companies. Know why? Because they are the ones that sell the licensing rights, as well as approve the edits and the voice actors. They do. So they at least deserve part of the blame shameful cases such as the one depicted in that comic strip.

As for Naruto, at least it will be released uncut and unedited on DVD. And they aren't going to change the names either.
Quistis88
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Apr 20 2005, 02:27 AM)
Quistis88, I think you fail to realize that the real people to blame about the butchering of the material the Japanese production companies.  Know why?  Because they are the ones that sell the licensing rights, as well as approve the edits and the voice actors.  They do.  So they at least deserve part of the blame shameful cases such as the on depicted in that comic strip.

I know they do, but if whatever we the public end up seeing as the finished product is the best America can offer, then the Japanese production companies who sell the rights have no choice but to approve if they still wish to sell.
Fresh_Coffee
QUOTE(mustangs_grl25 @ Apr 19 2005, 07:50 PM)
the dubbing of ren/len s voice just pisses me off I mean HE IS CHIENESE FOR RA'S SAKE!and they had a brittish dubbing rather inexputable.dang it now I am useing it WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMMING TO!!!???!?!
[snapback]156800[/snapback]

Ren not, Len and for sure not LENNY. I have to say he is one of the worst dubbed voice ever.
hitokiri
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Apr 20 2005, 04:27 AM)
I don't see the stigma with English dubbing for anime.  Companies seem to put a lot more time and effort into them nowadays, quality has certainly improved over the last decade.  Plus, American licensing has given us such a wide variety and selection of anime to choose from.  And you can find it just about every where now, it didn't used to be that way. 
[snapback]156871[/snapback]

the same is true of korean cars... but are you gonna out go and buy one? just because its better than the crap it was, doesn't make it good... what the hell ever happened to base standards?!
terroja
I am genuinely not particular. But in FMA's case, I really like Ed's english voice.
TheVileOne
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Apr 20 2005, 08:02 PM)
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Apr 20 2005, 04:27 AM)
I don't see the stigma with English dubbing for anime.  Companies seem to put a lot more time and effort into them nowadays, quality has certainly improved over the last decade.  Plus, American licensing has given us such a wide variety and selection of anime to choose from.  And you can find it just about every where now, it didn't used to be that way. 
[snapback]156871[/snapback]

the same is true of korean cars... but are you gonna out go and buy one? just because its better than the crap it was, doesn't make it good... what the hell ever happened to base standards?!
[snapback]157104[/snapback]

Korean cars...anime...?

I don't see the connection smile.gif . I guess..they are both of Asian origin?

Also, you seem to have this perception that dubs for anime are crap...which I and believe it or not many people...do not.
hitokiri
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Apr 21 2005, 02:30 AM)
Korean cars...anime...?

I don't see the connection smile.gif .  I guess..they are both of Asian origin?
[snapback]157559[/snapback]

ok... i guess you're a bit dense.... i was refering to the fact that both have risen in quality over the last ten years, but neither are on par with their competitors....

you say that dubs aren't inferior quality? ok let's compare the level of va work to that of domestic productions and regular films... do you see how it is lacking now? you try to cut them a break just because "they are doing better".... i'm stating the fact that just because something is doing better doesn't mean it is doing well. if a person went to the hospital after a car accident on the verge of death and became semistable, would you then release him cause he's doing better? no, you wait until he is doing well...
ἀρχή
I'm realizing more and more that the original language is better. I get so much more out of what I watch with a sub than a dub and that's true of almost all foreign films. I watch dubs only when it's what's available and when I'm tired and can't read at the time. But when I'm seriously watching anything, I prefer to watch the subs.

I also like paying attention to who subs the material. Bleach is a good example as Chihiro is different than Lunar. I think that Chihiro is better because I don't always like having "special terms" translated. I prefer to see the romanized japanese as it allows me to form a more fluid interpretation of the word. Shinigami means more to me than just "death god". I also have begun to recognize the word when spoken in japanese so I don't depend on the sub as much.

I remember watching a dubbed anime and after the first episode, the dub voice acting frustrated me so much, I had to get the sub version to watch it. Some dubs are just aweful even if you've never heard the sub version. As has been said, the quality isn't there and is noticeable without comparison to the original japanese voice actors. The dub voice actors are not typically on par with other american voice actors, so they aren't as good at conveying the material as the original.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.