Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 22 Discussion
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2
TheVileOne
Here's the discussion thread for tonight's episode of Fullmetal Alchemist as we get nearer and nearer to the season finale. Apparently Ed can possibly transmute a genuine Philosopher's Stone according to Tucker using a large amount of red water. But didn't Ed and Al figure out that the key ingredient to the real thing is live human beings? Suspicious... wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif . Plus the homunculus are on the scene.
Blade Alchemist
Tonights ep. was sooooo cool!!! One thing I didn't get though ehy didn't Ed say if they hurt his little brother that he wouldn't make the stone. In that situation Ed has the most power.
Really cool when Ed went berserk. He made the really cool spear that looked really simiar to Musica's in Rave Master. Greed looked really cool can't wait for next weeks ep. *starts twitching with excitement*
Sonic-Teal
I wonder if the water made Ed's alchemy more powerful. It was kick ass, but Envy attacked Ed when he was tired, major blood loss, and with a broken arm that bastard. I would like to see the next episode I wnat to see the milk fight biggrin.gif
Zarpia
I wonder if the water made Ed's alchemy more powerful. It was kick ass, but Envy attacked Ed when he was tired, major blood loss, and with a broken arm that bastard. I would like to see the next episode I wnat to see the milk fight

Yeah, i liked that whater-alchemi scene too, and waiting to see the milk fight to, i hope is as good as the japanese one coz the voices are funnier in japanese.
Well where's what I get...

1. Tucker has offically sold his soul to the devil in the black dress for the knowledge of "Homocunli creation". Plus he he had a alternate plan to getting Nina back: If he can't retrieve Nina's soul...He'll make a soul identical to it with the memories of his daughter as the basis.

Tucker gone "Asimov" logical here, with a genetic version of the "Ghost" theory.
2. Scar has offically gain respect for Edward Elric, too bad the feeling not's mutal.
3. With the exception of Gluttony, Lust's posse made a decent escape.
4. We get to see Martel, Dolcetto, & Roa in a cameo when Kimblee joined the "Devil's Nest" team.
5. Barry will be back!...For one final anime appearence.
6. As for Envy, his reason for hating the Elrics will be revealed in the long run, as he the most major of the main baddies.
TheVileOne
Well you can't *make* a soul.

Gluttony didn't escape? I wonder who that big fat guy in the military uniform walking with the disguised Lust and Envy was then. Unless you mean that Lust and Envy were inconspicuous while Gluttony clearly wasn't smile.gif .
AlphonseRules
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Apr 10 2005, 01:06 AM)
Well you can't *make* a soul. 

Gluttony didn't escape?  I wonder who that big fat guy in the military uniform walking with the disguised Lust and Envy was then.  Unless you mean that Lust and Envy were inconspicuous while Gluttony clearly wasn't smile.gif .
[snapback]149724[/snapback]

That had to be the most retarted thing on this show so far. I started to laugh when I saw Gluttony just walk past the guards like that.
About Shou giving Nina's memories to a homunculi, even though it would have all those memories I doubt that it would ever love Tucker like the real Nina did. The real Nina even seemed to love him after he turned her into a beast.
Oh yeah, I was scared to death for Al right after Ed decided not to cooperate with Lust's plan.
Philosopher's Stone
Bahahaha! I've already seen it all!

Don't worry though, Samurai Champloo is a great series for anyone who loved Cowboy Bebop. Pleasant animation, fluid action, plenty of humor in some eps. but they don't reveal main characters' backplots until very late in the series. Hah, I just saw the baseball episode for that...

Also, the red stuff isn't red water, it's Marco's incomplete stone. It too, is made of people, so one is as good as the other for the final transmutation.

The homunculi aren't risking as much as Ed is, they can get another alchemist if they need to, even if it takes a while.

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS* IF YOU'VE SEEN ALL POSSIBLE EPS UP TO THIS POINT YOU'RE OKAY
I won't spoil anything, but here's a hint about the homunculi to whet the appetite: note how Scar recognizes Lust. There is a reason for that; remember that Scar's brother was an alchemist and of Ed and Al's failed resurrection attempt. I think you can put 2 and 2 together. If your mind screams "four!", you can also figure who might potentially show up later on in the series.
*END*

You'll also get to meet the Alphonse brothers' alchemic mentor next season, another compelling character that adds a lot to the series.

Also the Crimson Alchemist has shown up. He's a delightfully homicidal addition to ruthless military strife, Scar and freakish super-science.
"Hmm...I'm low on sulfur..."

An imitation Nina is just as good as the original, at least with respect to Tucker, if not to anybody else. But quite frankly, he's lost touch with reality and can no longer really create an effective imitation by allowing her to establish normal connections in society. I mean how normal a childhood can you have when your "dad" is a mad alchemist and you're both chimeras?

This is how souls are imitated; look under "Philosophy of Ghost in the Shell" and you'll get what FMA is trying to say:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_shell
CursedAnubis
As for Envy, his reason for hating the Elrics will be revealed in the long run, as he the most major of the main baddies.

Well, obviously Hohenheim did something to really piss off Envy... You can tell by the specific wording that Envy uses while beating on Ed
This is the first time i have posted on here. I dont have a username but i have been reading every post. and i just wanted to say i enjoyed this ep. i have seen every showing on CN and purchased both DVD's. But back on topic, i really did enjoy this ep. and i hope every one else did biggrin.gif
That is the best woman dubbing as a man I've ever heard....Envy sounds great! I love it.
Sonic-Teal
Guest meant that Gluttony wasent conspicous lol. What am I going to do without FMA? I am hooked damn the japanese I will kill them all! ALl my friends go WTF is Full MEtal Alchemist you nerd, so I guess I wont be called nerd while it is off the air. One month later *Huddles in fedal position* I cant make it without FMA.
ymsg
Well, for one thing, if Fullmetal is really getting replaced with Champloo, I may just DIE. When is season two coming out?! And it really ends at ep 26?! *I AM GONNA DIE*

Anyway, in ref. to Episode 22, I have a theory.

You know how Envy got so pissed and beat on Ed so bad? He said, "I'll always hate you; your blood runs through his veins"

I have a theory, but I'm not sure if it's a spoiler (just in case)

[spoiler]Do you figure that Ed's father could have possibly helped or fully created a homunculi? That was the only conclusion I could draw [/spoiler]

I wanted to kick Envy's friggen ass for hurting Ed! That and Tucker (we had to see that disgusting...) comes creeping out with Chimera-Nina, *to my extreme disdain* (also, does someone have screenshots from that episode? I REALLY want to see those) He wants to make a homunculi of NINA?! Ed was completely right, that's still never gonna be the REAL Nina.
QUOTE(ymsg @ Apr 10 2005, 08:04 AM)
Well, for one thing, if Fullmetal is really getting replaced with Champloo, I may just DIE. When is season two coming out?! And it really ends at ep 26?! *I AM GONNA DIE*

Anyway, in ref. to Episode 22, I have a theory.

You know how Envy got so pissed and beat on Ed so bad? He said, "I'll always hate you; your blood runs through his veins"

I have a theory, but I'm not sure if it's a spoiler (just in case)

[spoiler]Do you figure that Ed's father could have possibly helped or fully created a homunculi? That was the only conclusion I could draw [/spoiler]

I wanted to kick Envy's friggen ass for hurting Ed!
[snapback]149847[/snapback]

[spoiler] *giggle* wow! You're good. Overall, that's right, but if you knew the details, you'd freak. laugh.gif If only I could send you this picture. But it can be a major spoiler about his dad and the homunculus he created. I'm sure you don't want that. [/spoiler]
Toby-Chan
I'm not nearly as pleased with Envy's dub as I thought I was. He sounds more like a female 60 year old smoker than a teenage boy.

Plus, he sounded a lot less vicious than normal. More of a "Yeah, whatever, I'm pissed," than a "Shut up or I kill you, you lil' bastard!"
The new Nina does look a bit older than the little girl we know and hate to see die.
But as I said Tucker sold his soul to the Homocunli, only a matter of time before he gets what's coming to him. We'll see him[and maybe "Nina-2"] again, but only for part of the deal Tucker made with Lust.

Tucker knows he may never get HIS Nina back, so it seems he'll rather want to be comfronted by a lie of his own design, than accept the harsh truth.
ymsg
[spoiler]*giggle* wow! You're good. Overall, that's right, but if you knew the details, you'd freak.  If only I could send you this picture. But it can be a major spoiler about his dad and the homunculus he created. I'm sure you don't want that. [/spoiler]

OMG yes please send me this picture!!! I can deal with spoilers. I think. o: well, which episode is it from?

The new Nina does look a bit older than the little girl we know and hate to see die.
But as I said Tucker sold his soul to the Homocunli, only a matter of time before he gets what's coming to him. We'll see him[and maybe "Nina-2"] again, but only for part of the deal Tucker made with Lust.

Tucker knows he may never get HIS Nina back, so it seems he'll rather want to be comfronted by a lie of his own design, than accept the harsh truth.

Heh..deal? define "deal". I certainly hope he gets what's coming to him. Why would any man, even one as weak and spineless as Tucker, want to live a lie? To protect himself from the truth?
BloodRedAlchemist
This was a great episode!!!
It gave you hints of what was yet to come in the series.

It sucks that they r going to take it off but i understand y.
The wait will just make me want to see it more.
Philosopher's Stone
QUOTE(ymsg @ Apr 10 2005, 09:26 AM)
Why would any man, even one as weak and spineless as Tucker, want to live a lie? To protect himself from the truth?
[snapback]149872[/snapback]

Because his life has no value otherwise. Reality is as much defined by perception as it is by physical things. If you think that's BS, look at your memories...
[quote=ymsg,Apr 10 2005, 09:26 AM]
[quote][spoiler]*giggle* wow! You're good. Overall, that's right, but if you knew the details, you'd freak. If only I could send you this picture. But it can be a major spoiler about his dad and the homunculus he created. I'm sure you don't want that. [/spoiler][/quote]

OMG yes please send me this picture!!! I can deal with spoilers. I think. o: well, which episode is it from?

[quote]The new Nina does look a bit older than the little girl we know and hate to see die.

Tucker knows he may never get HIS Nina back, so it seems he'll rather want to be comfronted by a lie of his own design, than accept the harsh truth.[/quote]

Heh..deal? define "deal".

Apparently, as Tucker revealed, he's working for the Homocunli on a mutual partnership...To the Philosopher's stone for their respective goals. It's obivious Tucker wants to protect himself from the truth that he'll never be with Nina again.
Nina-2 would serve that purpose, with Tucker's memories of Nina as the basis for the clone's soul.
Jen_Elric
WOW!!! This episode was soo cool! Lots of things were brought up. And we see Envy and Ed finally meet! It was just not a good meeting. dry.gif
Even though I'm sad that FMA will not be showing on Adult Swim after the 30th of April, I understand why. I'll just get the DVD's and watch them over and over!
One question about this episode:
When Ed had that huge Alchemy reaction after stepping into the unfinished Philosopher's Stone, Lust said something like, "He'll become a god (I'm guessing. I can't remember exactly). I didn't really understand that.
And, why did the reaction stop when Ross embraced Ed?
The Thunder Alchemist
Awesome ep, can't wait for next week's, but one thing that is bugging me:

Who was that lady that said "Good work troops." to escaping "Deadly Sins Posse"?

Also, why would she say that; they failed in getting the philosophers stone. wink.gif dry.gif wink.gif
TheVileOne
QUOTE(ymsg @ Apr 10 2005, 10:05 PM)
My bad, episode 25. Which is in two weeks. I am going to totally die.
[snapback]150131[/snapback]

Try 1 day short of THREE weeks.

QUOTE(The Thunder Alchemist)
Awesome ep, can't wait for next week's, but one thing that is bugging me:

Who was that lady that said "Good work troops." to escaping "Deadly Sins Posse"?

Also, why would she say that; they failed in getting the philosophers stone.   

That is the Fuhrer's secretary. She was introduced a while back. When Ed noticed her he seemed to have a thoughtful look. After episode 16, when Al noticed her he said something to the effect of, "Brother, I think I just saw Mom." So its obvious to us now that she has a striking resemblance to Trisha Elric and Ed and Al have noticed as such.
ymsg
heh. fine. one day short. And I don't like that secretary. >_>
TheVileOne
What's your beef with the secretary?
ymsg
Cause I read an accidental spoiler *that was not in a spoiler box @_@ lol* and I have reason to dislike her.
Sikiu-San
wow you guys really need to chill dry.gif . fma getting taken off the air is not the end of the world.yeahj im going to miss it for but i mean adult swim is going to show samauri champloo for cryign out loud!!!! a show i thought they would never show O_O!!! ok and is anyone else dissapointed the ed did not fight envy =/ that was the one major thing i was looking foward to. that whole battle scene was awsome in the manga and what happened after it ;-; i hope they make up for it later ph34r.gif
CursedAnubis
Here are some episode screenies, so much good stuff in this epi that I didn't know what to take tongue.gif Feel free to ask for more specific ones. That alchemic overload that Ed went through was scary; it looked like his automail melted and he was a zombie.

. That still doesn't look like Nina to me, lol
AlphonseRules
Now the show has 2 crazy nut-bags. First you have Shou Tucker. The kind of quiet, unassuming crazy guy that ends up transmuting his daughter just to see if he could. And then there's the Crimson Alchemist. The kind of crazy guy that you'd run from the moment you saw him because he looks so menacingly evil. I like the Crimson Alchemist better, at least you can tell that he's messed up.
AlphonseRules: There are three now...Barry the Chopper, both he and Zolf love to kill. Shou Tucker, was a victim of weakness[Afraid of Basque] and curiosity[If can pull if a 'perfect' Beastman Chimera].
Jen_Elric
Sikui-san, I agree. I mean, I asked a couple of questions up there, and no one noticed 'cause people are having fits over this break that FMA is having. *crys*
Let's talk about episode 22. That's what the topic is about.

Damn! I did it again. I replied before reading all the posts. Sorry. ph34r.gif
Karo
That was freaky when Ed got that alchemy boost.
he look lifeless. And his automail looked melted but it changed. I was freaked out. blink.gif
Kimbly has teh coolest and most colorful alchemic abilities.

Turning people into bombs? I approve heartily. No better way for the show to sort of reaffirm the Ed and Rose about the "human ingredients" scene. Humans are mostly nitrogen so it makes sense that they would make decent explosives.

In fact, the ingredients for black powder are all there on Ed's list (Potassium Nitrate, Carbon and Sulfur).
Zarpia
he look lifeless. And his automail looked melted but it changed. I was freaked out. 

It was really cool, but he did look lifeless.
Philosopher's Stone
@Cursed Anubis:
Say, can you get me a picture of the philosopher's stone? I want the one where Al is narrating and the stone is dripping blood and being grasped by a hand. I think it might have been in the intro of episode 20.
buddah_grl357
I almost feel bad for homonculus. All that they really want is to become human, kind of sad when you think about it. Oh, and by the way Huges...nice PJs biggrin.gif
Guest_Femalchemist_*
QUOTE(Jen_Elric @ Apr 11 2005, 06:49 AM)
Sikui-san, I agree.  I mean, I asked a couple of questions up there, and no one noticed 'cause people are having fits over this break that FMA is having. *crys*
Let's talk about episode 22.  That's what the topic is about.

Damn!  I did it again.  I replied before reading all the posts.  Sorry. ph34r.gif
[snapback]150561[/snapback]

Guest_Femalchemist_*
QUOTE(zarpia @ Apr 11 2005, 08:37 AM)
he look lifeless. And his automail looked melted but it changed. I was freaked out.

It was really cool, but he did look lifeless.
[snapback]150585[/snapback]

Yes, it was weird to see him like that but the whole episode kept me on the edge of my seat. I love how this show is put together and the writing is super. Next to Inuyasha this is my all time favorite. I can't wait to see the next one. Ed is my hero.
TheVileOne
QUOTE(buddah_grl357 @ Apr 11 2005, 04:26 PM)
I almost feel bad for homonculus. All that they really want is to become human, kind of sad when you think about it. Oh, and by the way Huges...nice PJs biggrin.gif
[snapback]150602[/snapback]

There's a lot more to it than that. And I believe Lust was the only one who said she wanted to become a human.
[quote=Guest,Apr 10 2005, 12:46 PM]
[quote=ymsg,Apr 10 2005, 09:26 AM]
[quote][spoiler]*giggle* wow! You're good. Overall, that's right, but if you knew the details, you'd freak. If only I could send you this picture. But it can be a major spoiler about his dad and the homunculus he created. I'm sure you don't want that. [/spoiler][/quote]

[quote]The new Nina does look a bit older than the little girl we know and hate to see die.

Tucker knows he may never get HIS Nina back, so it seems he'll rather want to be comfronted by a lie of his own design, than accept the harsh truth.[/quote]

Heh..deal? define "deal".

Apparently, as Tucker revealed, he's working for the Homocunli on a mutual partnership...To the Philosopher's stone for their respective goals. It's obivious Tucker wants to protect himself from the truth that he'll never be with Nina again.
Nina-2 would serve that purpose, with Tucker's memories of Nina as the basis for the clone's soul.
[snapback]150015[/snapback]

[/quote]

Ok, give me a hoot
Email: drawdiva@optonline.net
IM: Drawdiva7 (please send me your Im first)
Kinbari-chan
Haha this was an awesome episode so accurate to the Japanese version!! The only thing I hate is Envy's voice, , but I'm glad they kept the same dialogue for him when he was beating on Ed. I just have one question. When Maria Ross hugs Ed at the end did he say anything? In the original he says "Mom", but I could barely hear him say anything in the English version. If it was my imagination I heard "Mom, your back", but it was very faint.
Luckyalchemy27
@Kinbari-chan: No, I don't think it was your imagination. I heard it too.

I loved the end. I actually said, "Awww!" out loud when she hugged Ed. biggrin.gif
AlphonseRules
Why is it that Ed stopped transmuting when Ross hugged him. I thought that she would have had to knock him out of the puddle of red liquid. And yes he did say "Mom....you're back" I just replayed the end to check. Thanks for posting that cause I didn't hear it originaly.
Damn Winry, if it wasn't for her crappy skills and light weight metals Ed would have had a chance against Envy.
Luckyalchemy27
Did anyone notice the black pattern on the wall of the red room? It's the same as the tatoo on Scar's arm.
CursedAnubis
QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ Apr 11 2005, 01:49 PM)
Why is it that Ed stopped transmuting when Ross hugged him.  I thought that she would have had to knock him out of the puddle of red liquid.  And yes he did say "Mom....you're back" I just replayed the end to check.  Thanks for posting that cause I didn't hear it originaly.
Damn Winry, if it wasn't for her crappy skills and light weight metals Ed would have had a chance against Envy.
[snapback]150719[/snapback]

It looked like to me that he absorbed the liquid; Plus, I think the reaction had something to do with Ed's emotions, which were calmed by Ross, IMO. Here's a picture of the Stone, Philsopher's Stone.
Philosopher's Stone
Sexellent! Now that I possess the Stone, I can spruce up my avatar.
Bwahahahaha!

Thank you.
Falling_Man
I was able to watch it Sat. in Tampa. Great stuff, but there are lots of questions that need to be answered. I am, however, dissapointed that I won't get to see Izumi, Ed's next few battles or any other new Homunculi for awhile.
TheVileOne
If you pay attention, you will see Izumi before the season is over.
TheToeAlchemist
Again another fine ep.
And luckyalchemy27 i was going to say that too and did one of the names on the wall and tatoo say nina?
There was two names but i didnt see them very good.
Now i cant wait to see what the red water did to Ed cuz Lust said that it would make him a GOD!!!
Luckyalchemy27
@TheToeAlchemist:
Actually, I just checked and I believe the words read:
Terra
A
Ndan.

There's some other writing, too, but I couldn't make it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.