Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Miyazaki's Movies
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime > Let's discuss your fav anime series here!
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Chibi-Usa
Miyazaki's Movies

QUOTE (Wikipedia)
Director, screenplay, and storyboards
Lupin III Part I, 1971-1972 anime series (with Isao Takahata)
Yuki's Sun, 1972 (Pilot film for a never-realized anime series)
Future Boy Conan, 1978 anime series
The Castle of Cagliostro, 1979 film
Lupin III Part II, 1980 anime series (2 episodes in season 4 under the pseudonym Tsutomu Teruki)
Sherlock Hound, 1984 anime series

Films in the Studio Ghibli canon
Nausicań of the Valley of the Wind, 1984 film
Castle in the Sky, 1986 film
My Neighbor Totoro, 1988 film
Kiki's Delivery Service, 1989 film
Porco Rosso, 1992 film
Princess Mononoke, 1997 film
Spirited Away, 2001 film (winner, Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, 2002)
Howl's Moving Castle, 2004 film (nominee, Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, 2005)
Ponyo, 2008 film

Shorts
"On Your Mark", 1995 music video for Chage and Aska
"The Whale Hunt", 2001 (Short film exclusive to the Ghibli Museum)
"Koro's Big Day Out", 2001 (Short film exclusive to the Ghibli Museum)
"Mei and the Kittenbus", 2002 (Short film exclusive to the Ghibli Museum)
"Imaginary Flying Machines", 2002 (Short film exclusive to the Ghibli Museum as a part of the exhibited material)
"Ornithopter Story: Fly! Hiyodori Tengu Go!", 2002 (Short film exclusive to the Ghibli Museum as a part of the exhibited material)
"Monmon the Water Spider", 2006 (Short film exclusive to the Ghibli Museum)
"House-hunting", 2006 (Short film exclusive to the Ghibli Museum)
"The Day I Harvested A Planet", 2006 (Short film exclusive to the Ghibli Museum)
"Film Guruguru", ? (Short film exclusive to the Ghibli Museum as a part of the exhibited material)[34]

Other work
Hols: Prince of the Sun, 1968 film: Key animation, storyboards, scene design
Puss 'n Boots, 1969 film: Key animation, storyboards, design
Flying Phantom Ship, 1969 film: Key animation, storyboards, design
Animal Treasure Island (どうぶつ宝島 Dōbutsu Takarajima?), 1971: Story consultant, key animation, storyboards, scene design
Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves (アリババと40匹の盗賊 Aribaba to Yonjūbiki no Tozuku?), 1971 film: Organizer, key animation, storyboards
Panda! Go, Panda!, 1972 short film: Concept, screenplay, storyboards, scene design, key animation
Panda! Go, Panda! and the Rainy-Day Circus (パンダコパンダ 雨降りサーカスの巻 Panda Kopanda: Amefuri Sākasu no Maki?), 1973 short film: Screenplay, storyboards, scene design, art design, key animation
Heidi, Girl of the Alps, 1974 anime series: Scene design, layout
3000 Leagues in Search of Mother, 1976 anime series: Scene design, layout
Anne of Green Gables, Episodes 1-15, 1979 anime series: Scene design, layout
Pom Poko , Executive Producer, Story concept
Whisper of the Heart, 1995 film: Screenwriter, storyboards, executive producer, sequence director
The Cat Returns, 2002 film: Executive Producer, Project Concept Designer
The Borrower Arrietty, 2010 film: Executive Producer, screenwriter, animation planning supervisor [35]
Kokurikozaka Kara, 2011 film: Planning, screenwriter

I watched My neighbor Totoro and Spirited away.I love both of them. I recently watched spirited away and I watched Totoro when I was five. I use to imagine myself in that world too. tongue.gif
hanyou-elf
Miyazaki is an exceptional artist, he always has wonderful stories produced. And such amazing work credited to his name. I'm a huge fan of Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Neko no Ongaeshi (The Cat Returns), and an especially huge fan of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

I love all of his movies and anything that comes out of Studio Ghibli. I realize that not all the movies i listed above were not created by Miyazaki himself, but they did come from his creative minions and from the company that he is most famous from. I love Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki's works.
Kinbari-chan
I've only seen 3 movies made my Miyazaki: Spirited Away, Naussica of the Valley of the Wind, and Princess Monoke. I saw Princess Mononke several years ago...probably when I was like 12. I was still prone to all the violence in the movie then so I didn't like it then...maybe if I rewatch it now I would have a different opinion. I saw Spirited Away last year and I loved it. The entire storyline fancinated me and I thought the plot to be good. Naussica was ok...I got bored during some parts of it. I thought it to be a good story and all but not much plot and character development. This type of anime is not my favorite genre anyway.
Kit
I've seen Spirited Away, Laputa, and Princess Mononoke (I seriously don't think I got the title right, but I do know it's a Miyazaki movie. I haven't seen Nausicaa yet, but I do have the first volume of the manga. I've also seen Totoro. I have Spirited Away and Laputa on DVD and Totoro on video. I really liked the Miyazaki movies. They held a lot of depth and interesting characters. But now I'm just sounding weird, so I'll sum my reaction up in two words. THEY ROCK!!!! biggrin.gif
Quistis88
Just watched a Miyazaki film yesterday, actually. "Kaze no Tani no Nausicań" to be exact. That's my favorite one for reasons unknown. I actually liked the Cantonese script for Nausicań more than the original Japanese. They were somehow able to give the Cantonese script a lot more. As well, Priscilla Chan voiced Nausicań in the Cantonese dub I saw and that may make me a little biased. tongue.gif

My second favorite is probably "Grave of the Fireflies", which was really well done. I've also seen "My Neighbor Totoro" and "Only Yesterday" in Cantonese; "Laputa: Castle in the Sky" and "Kiki's Delivery Service" in Japanese. There's a bunch I want to see but will probably never get around to them (still haven't seen "Mononoke Hime"). For some reason, I really didn't like "Spirited Away". Overall, I think Studio Ghibli makes good films. They're not the best, but they're good.
Hagane no Renzy
I'm Miyazaki's #1 fan!

--What I saw and what I rate 'em:--

Princess Mononoke:*****
Spirited Away:*****
Kiki's Delivery Service:****(and a half)
Castle in the Sky:****
Grave of the Fireflies:*****
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind:**(bleh, didn't like it much)

Miyazaki rox! XD
LoMXD
Was grave of te fireflies really done by Miyazaki?
Lately I have been watching Princess Mononoke thousands of time non-stop. YAY ASHITAKA!!!!!
animejunkie429800
i think i have all of his movies on DVD, i'll list all of them:

Spirited Away
My Neighbor Totoro
the goodbye of the Fireflies-well, i just translated from Chinese (gomen)
castle in the sky
princess mononoke
and others bcus i cant think right now... its fricken cold!
fullmetalalchemist27
i love laputa castle in the sky.
totoro is okay to.
spirited away is kind of creepy because of no face.
i saw a reveiw of grave of fireflys and it is kind of scary. sad.gif
Zidan_chan
I love Miyazaki's movies. His artwork and stories are incredible. Some of my personal favourites have to be Spirited Away, Laputa, Mononoke Hime, and The Grave of the Fireflies. I was just curious: Has any one seen his latest film "Howl's Moving Castle"? I saw a short clip of the film online and it looked great. I wonder when it will make its debute in Europe and America.

Full Metal: Grave of Fireflys is not as scary as it is very moving and depressing. It is a beautiful movie, but is very unsettling. The movie became even more tragic when I learned that it was based on a true story.
Gato Gurl914
i've only seen spirited away, but i cry everytime i watch it.
Elderberry
I like his films. happy.gif

'Tenkuu no Shiro LAPYUTA' is definitely my favorite. It's so...adorable and powerful. ohmy.gif And the ending theme has such a nostalgic feel. ^__^

I've also watched Tonari no Totoro, Hotaru no Haka, Kiki's Delivery Service, and read the color-manga-ish version of Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi. rolleyes.gif
MasterKris
I really like Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, and Kiki's Delivery Service. smile.gif
DameGreyWulf
I've seen Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, and Kiki's Delivery Service.
I wish to see and own all of Miyazaki's creations. Also all of Studio Ghibli's creations
Art of Misconception
For me, I'll say...

Spirited Away was definitely the far more surpassing one since the upcoming of Howl's Moving Castle (although Howl has a hot voice). Second, I'll say either Laputa: Castle in the Sky or Kiki's Delivery Service because I really liked the producing of KDS.
MiyokoChan
Spirited Away- it is just absolutely beautiful. And quite possibly the most magical movie I've ever seen. Love the story and the characters.

I also am really obsessed with Totoro, but I have a feeling that's because it involves a giant, fuzzy creature. biggrin.gif Oh and I like Nausicaa a lot (obviously).

Really, I like all of his stuff.
fullmetal_4eva
Inuyasha the Movie (first one)
NightMistress
I got to see Howl's Moving Castle yesterday at Otakon. It was really good! I also saw Kiki's Delivery Service. I want to see Spirited Away as well. But for now I would say my favorite is Howl's Moving Castle.
The_Fallen_Angel_Demetri
Spirited Away is definetly one of the best movies from Hayao Miyazaki. biggrin.gif It was funny and sad. Castle in the Sky was good too. But it was long... blink.gif
Blitz
I saw Spirited Away in my Japanese class (wasn't dubbed or subbed) and I didn't understand anything of it except a few words. >.<;; This was like two years ago and I still haven't watched it with subs or dubs... I think I'll find a torrent for it or something.
Gato Gurl914
spirited away definatly. i love that one. i have yet to see howl's but i want to badly
mongooseboi
i liked princess mononoke better. there was more fighting in it compared to the others.
NightMistress
Oh I saw Princess Mononoke. Still like "Howl" the best though.
Willow
I can't choose... =/ Miyazaki's works are always so outstanding!
Shizuka85
So far, I've only seen Spirited Away. I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to seeing Howl's Moving Castle.

By the way, fullmetal_4eva, this thread is about movies directed by Hayao Miyazaki. Inuyasha the movie was not directed by Hayao Miyazaki.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Shizuka85 @ Aug 23 2005, 08:16 AM)
By the way, fullmetal_4eva, this thread is about movies directed by Hayao Miyazaki.  Inuyasha the movie was not directed by Hayao Miyazaki.
[snapback]259120[/snapback]

If anything Inu-Yasha related was, it probably wouldn't suck so much.

I liked Princess Mononoke, and it's not for action; I don't value action content all that highly.

It may be sentimental, since Mononoke was one of the earliest anime films I ever saw, but I still adore it for it's artistic nature (But that can be said of all Miyazaki films) for it's complexity, and for simply having such a fascinating premise. I liked the hybrid of traditional Japanese mythology, bred with Miyazaki's whimsical twists to create a new type of legend all it's own.
Art of Misconception
Howl's Moving Castle was good in the way of animations, but it's not really good at plotting so it's kind of confusing to figure out what is going on.

But I like Howl. Christian Bale has a hot voice for him.

I want to watch Princess Monoke though.
NightMistress
I've seen the sub and dub of Howl and I must say, I prefer the dub. And yeah, Christian Bale's voice is hott! I liked the other voices too though in English for their own reasons.

[spoiler]The witch of the waste sounds so much better in the english version. Her voice really reminds me of Ursela from Little Mermaid. In the sub, the witch sounds like a dude and there's nothing appealing to her character. I loved Billy Krystal as the fire. His voice was too cute. And for the main girl, I liked her old lady voice a lot. She sounded much sweeter. And of course, I have mention Howl's voice already. cool.gif [/spoiler]
StrawberryShampoo
I went and saw Howl's Moving Castle in theatres with a bunch of friends..one of which it was his first time seeing anime. (You should've seen his reaction to the witch...priceless)
I absolutly loved Princess Mononoke! I thought it was really well written (all of Miyazaki's movies are really well written.) Plus the Mononoke Hime (sp.?) was really pretty.

Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Totoru were really good too!
ed's numbuh 1 fan
i've only seen kiki's delivery service, castle in the sky and spirted away and i loved them all biggrin.gif
Dai
I love Miyazaki's work, but I have only seen 4 of his movies.

Spirited Away (which was called here, at Spain, "El viaje de Chihiro" (Chihiro's Journey)), Mononoke Hime, Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle... an I love them all
Full Metal Elf
I just saw Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and I LOVED them both! The stories were so deep, and I loved the characters.

I also loved Spirited Away, that was such a sad and wonderful movie! smile.gif
Tombow
I love Princess Monooke and Spirited Away!!

(Mod: I apologize profusely in advance for making the double post!! I wanted to bring up this thread to the first page where people can see it, to make this timely reminder...)

Reminder:
Tonight on TCM (Turner Classic Channel), in U.S., Miyazaki's anime movie, "Nausicań of the Valley of the Wind" (around 8 pm - 10 pm U.S. Eastern time, I think, and repeats later on,) followed by Miyazaki's "Castle in the Sky" (around 10 pm - 12:30 am U.S. Eastern time, I think, and repeats later on,) supposedly, non-cut, and commercial free!!

(Please check your local listings for the airing schedule in your area. Also, they usually have little commentary before airing of the movie, and sometimes maybe some unrelated short films or something after the movie during that time slot.) happy.gif

Note from Quistis: Don't worry about it, this sort of double-posting is absolutely fine, and we can always merge them. smile.gif

ETA: Thank you, Quistis!!
Just finished watching both movies. I'm a happy camper tonight!!
I loved Nausicań of the Valley of the Wind so much that I watched it twice!! laugh.gif
(First in English, and the repeat was in Japanese with English subtitle, it was great to be able to see them both on TV in one night!!)
I liked "Castle in the Sky" also. Interesting story, and I liked the animation also.

Looking forward to see more Miyazaki anime on TCM channel next Thursday!! happy.gif
animefreak_zzz
i've watched his latest work...Howl's Moving Castle..
it was good..a little baffling..
but the animation was good and entertaining nonetheless..

I also watched Spirited Away just last year..
Another fantastic work by him..
looking forward to my chance at totoro..haha laugh.gif
tigerscar
I love Miyazaki's movies. Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away have always been my favorite Miyazaki movies.
ed's numbuh 1 fan
Princess Mononoke is my faorite now Spirted Away and Nausicaa: of the Valley of the Wind ties at 2nd laugh.gif
Tombow
Tonight TCM (Turner Classic Movie channel in U.S.) had My Neighbor Totoro, commercial free and non-cut, wide screen version.

(The first showing was in English, and I'm watching the second showing, in Japanese with English subtitle now. smile.gif )

Also tonight, TCM is showing Miyazaki's 1992 movie Porco Rosso, and Whisper of the Heart which is written by Miyazaki and produced by his studio.
ed's numbuh 1 fan
i just watched those last night! and almost fell asleep in science class because of it XDD

Whisper of the Heart also goes on my fave list and when i was watching Totoro i was literly squeeling from the cutness! laugh.gif
lialiakicks
I dunno if you guys know this, but Miyazaki's films are gonna start to air on Cartoon Network now.... I believe in the month of Feb.?

There should be more info at animenewsnetwork.com. XD
Tombow
Thanks lialiakicks for bringing the news!!

From toonamiinfolink.com
CN picks up the Ghibli library.

Earlier this month, Turner Classic Movies (sister network of Cartoon Network) started a month-long tribute to the legendary anime director, Hayao Miyazaki, and his company, Studio Ghibli. (They've been airing every Thursday night this month.)

Well, TCM has given CN the rights to the Ghibli movies! The first of the films, "Spirited Away", airs on the Fridays block on February 3 at 7PM. There's no scheduled listings yet for the rest of the films, but if Adult Swim (which seems pretty obvious for the darker films like Nausicaa or Princess Mononoke) or Toonami (maybe Laputa) gets any, we'll keep you updated.
(Source: TV Guide Online)

Meantime, tomorrow night will be the last night of Miyazaki movie special on TCM.

They will show "Only Yesterday" (1991) and "Pom Poko" (1995) tomorrow night, both were directed and written by Isao Takahata and produced by Miyazaki's studio Ghibli.

This might be the last chance to see them on commercial free, non-cut, wide screen, and the choice of Engish dub (first showing) or Japanese with English subtitles (second showing of the night.) smile.gif
AlphonseRules
Is anyone gonna watch these movies on Toonami this month? Princess Mononoke is the only one worth watching in my opinion. It is one of my favorite anime movies actually.
Tombow
Thank you for bringing this up!! smile.gif
Yap, starting on March 18, Cartoon Network in U.S. is going to air Miyazaki's anime movies again... The ones aired on TCM in January, but this time, with commercials, and English dubs only, I believe... Still, it's good if haven't seen before!! happy.gif

But, we should discuss this on existing Miyazaki's Anime Movies thread. smile.gif

(You can re-post your post on that thread, and we can discuss it there!!) happy.gif

(ETA: Thank you Mod-sama for merging the threads!! happy.gif)
Black Zero
Kool thanks for telling me. XDDD biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
Lone Wolf
I totally agree that Princess Mononoke is the best Miyazaki movie, but I don't think I'll be watchin' it on Cartoon Network, considering it'll probably be edited to the max and full of lousy commercials... I'd rather rent the movie (or buy it...).
AlphonseRules
True true. I'll probably buy it this summer when I'm rollin' in the jack.
Lone Wolf
I've only seen Princess Mononoke, but it is soooo great! (I'm gonna rent Howl's Moving Castle tomorrow t' watch it!)
Tombow
QUOTE(Lone Wolf @ Mar 15 2006, 08:58 PM) [snapback]363807[/snapback]
I totally agree that Princess Mononoke is the best Miyazaki movie, but I don't think I'll be watchin' it on Cartoon Network, considering it'll probably be edited to the max and full of lousy commercials... I'd rather rent the movie (or buy it...).

True. And, I have seen all the ones that will be aired on CN when they had on TCM, non-cut, commercial-free, and with the choice of in Japanese, or with English dub, because they aired one each on the same night.
BUT, let me put it this way... To those who haven't them, it's a great chance to see if you'd like that particular movie, because it's on TV, and it's free!!
Each anime is similar, yet different, some you may find too cute, or too slow, so, before you spend money on renting or buying, you can check out and see if like any of those movies. smile.gif

Personally, I like Nausica, Princess Monooke, and Spirited Away the best. happy.gif
(Oh, but Totoro is cute, too!! tongue.gif )
inudog
I've only seen Spirited Away. I'm sure all the others are great! I'm going to buy Howls Moving Castle tommorow or Sunday. I'm really sad that I didn't catch the others on TCM. I guess I'll have to rely on Cartoon Network. XD (( Then again, like Lone Wolf said, they might be edited too much... xp ))
Melydragon
I love all of Miyazaki┤s work. I love the way how he can make a kids┤ movie and make an adult like it and enjoy it as well. I┤ve seen Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Kiki┤s Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro. I don┤t know why but I loved Spirited Away. It┤s on my favorite movie list. I recommend any Studio Ghibli work or Miyazaki┤s.
Tombow
The first one to be aired for "Month of Miyazaki on CN" is award winning "Spirited Away", tomorow, Saturday March 18, 7:30 pm - 10:30 pm (U.S. Eastern Time.)
(Check your local listings to be sure.)
It's one of Hayao Miyazaki's best anime movies, and if you haven't seen it before, I can highly recommend watching this one!! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.