Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most Useless Characters of All Time
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Anime
Pages: 1, 2, 3
hitokiri
ok so i'm flippin through the channels and inuyasha comes on, and for some unknown reason i actually let that crap stay on.... now my question is what the hell is the point of shippo?! he can't do anything. he can't fight, he's not a diplomat, he doesn't have any useful abilities... so why do these losers even keep him around?

that brings me to my point.... there are so many characters in anime that are there simply as a plot device, and sometimes not even that. so who do you think are the most useless characters of all time?

NOTE: JUST BECAUSE YOU HATE THEM DOESN'T MAKE THEM USELESS, YOU HAVE TO PROVE IT!!!!

my useless character list:

- any human dragonball character after the originai DB...come on there's nobody they can even match in power after DB, hell they got masacred by the sabamen and that punk nappa
- ein from bebop...seriously why do they need a dog?! its not even a bloodhoud!!
- the boyking from final fantasy unlimited...like the white swordsman unlimited couldn't just kill him in a second and hunt down kaze by himself.
- WINRY!!!! oh so you say she's ed mechanic... PINAKO!! ed loves her? PROVE IT!!!
- mihoshi from tenshi muyo... though she is my favorite uselss character of all time, i really don't see the point in her character being in the series
- anyone from sailor moon... any superhero that need five mins to transform is useless.

there are many others... but i don't feel like typing that much right now, so i'll add more later
Envy's lil' miniskirt
As someone who used to watch Inuyasha religiously Shippo does have some skills. He can use demon magic to, basically play tricks and confuse the enemy. Ok, it's not like Maroku's wind tunnel but at least he has some skills.

I don't think Winry is useless, she is a good mechanic and she is also family to Ed and Al. She also lost her parents so they share that bond as well. True, Hoeinheim is still running around but for all the love and support he's given Ed and Al over the years he might as well be dead. She may not be an ace alchemist but she has her place in the story and so she is not a worthless character in my book.

As for useless I would have to go with Wrath for right now. His best skill is whining. Ok, so he did take out one if his allies but could he have done that without opportunity presenting itself? No.

Yeah so he can fuse himself with things, whoopie. The best thing he could do is whine and cry and prance around in his hotpants like some pedophiles dream. I don't recall him kicking anyones ass in FMA.

Right off the top of my head he would be my top most worthless character. If I think of more I'll update this post.

EDIT: Now that I think about it Sloth was pretty worthless herself. She was only there as a plot device she never actually did anything but turn Wrath into a whiny mommas boy.
Ed's_Girl
Not many characters are all that useless. I know you want me to prove it....
Slashrose1010
Tea Gardner - Yugioh
She is comepletely and utterly useless! Besides that Yugi kinda likes her dry.gif She can't duel for a rat's ass and she is so damned whiney

Johny Tightlips XD He doesn't say anything so what is the use of having him as a mobster tongue.gif

Yuffie FF7- She has absolutely no material to add to the story really. They could have easilly have left her out of Advent Children and have a great film.

The Trainmaster (Matrix Revolutions) My god this movie sucked monkey ass holes... but that aside he really didn't serve any good purpose. He was just supposed to provide an optional way for Neo to escape... I don't even think Neo does use the train *forgets*

Mouse (Matrix) He was cool but didn't do a thing really... besides make the woman in the red dress program tongue.gif
hitokiri
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Apr 5 2005, 06:47 PM)
Johny Tightlips
who?

Yuffie FF7- She has absolutely no material to add to the story really. They could have easilly have left her out of Advent Children and have a great film.

The Trainmaster (Matrix Revolutions) My god this movie sucked monkey ass holes... but that aside he really didn't serve any good purpose. He was just supposed to provide an optional way for Neo to escape... I don't even think Neo does use the train *forgets*

Mouse (Matrix) He was cool but didn't do a thing really... besides make the woman in the red dress program tongue.gif

um.... these aren't anime characters
Carnal Malefactor
John Ashcroft.

No, wait... I WISH he was a figment of my imagination.

I gotta go with Wrath.
Fresh_Coffee
Yes Wrath is useless he cannot do anything. Now I must leave because I'm on a forum diet. *runs away*
Toby-Chan
Hmm... maybe I oughta avoid this topic. My favorites are probably all going to get bashed...

Naw.

Anyhow, the useless lame-o losahs aaarrrre:

Sasuke, Naruto- Yeah, he's great to add tension between he and Naruto... for a few episodes. After a while, it's just like, Get the heck over it, you whiny SOB!

Sakura, Naruto- See above, only without any madd skills. (I'm told she gets cooler in recent chapters of the manga, but I don't like the series enough to stick around that long, and she's already taken her sweet time anyhow.)

Kozue, Revolutionary girl Utena- Well, she might not be totally useless... *checks* nope, I was right, she's useless. All she does is make Miki suffer for crap he couldn't control, and making him neurotic, and while it's an important theme for him to bear, I really wouldn't mind if she just sorta... fell off a cliff or something.

Yui, Fushigi Yuugi- dry.gif ....

(I know I'm gonna get killed, but... I LOVE WINRY AND WRATH! HAW!)

That is all.
Slashrose1010
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Apr 5 2005, 07:20 PM)
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Apr 5 2005, 06:47 PM)
Johny Tightlips
who?

um.... these aren't anime characters
[snapback]147391[/snapback]

O.O Hito, I am disappointed in you sleep.gif I thought you and Bacon would know Johny Tightlips from the Simpsons tongue.gif

Yes, Johny and the Matrix ones are technically not anime but Matrix is kinda anime-ic and Simpsons is animated at least. Yuffie is kinda anime, just in video game form.

Fine Full Out Anime Characters dry.gif:
Poo from Yu Yu... It is utterly useless! That ugly fuzz ball has got to go... and if it does have some kind of significance in the show later you better keep it to yourself

Lyn from BeBop (Episodes Jupiter Jazz Pts. 1and2) All he did was take the hit for Vicious... that is basically it besides he is the Red Dragon's biatch.

One of the Funnier ones E.G. Mine tongue.gif He got killed by Raide *can't spell* the Blade. All EG Mine did was kill Dominique who isn't very hard if you can break her Demon Eye spell and Monev the Gaile Who is just a brute. EG Mine was useless but pretty funny tongue.gif
Falling_Man
I can't really think of any at the moment... but...

Random lazy black cat from Trigun. It's there for amusement. It's funny, but useless. *yawn*

Caine the Longshot, from Trigun. In the anime, all he did was shoot giant bullets at Vash, then commit suicide. (No lines either) What a waste of a Gung Ho Gun. You'd think they'd do more with him. Least most of the others got some attention.

@Slash: It's Rai Dei the Blade. Nighttow goes into a bit of detail of the hell he went through in Trigun Maximum. I thought it was funny thought that Vash bested Rai's finisher with something really simple. You should get into it.
Slashrose1010
I don't get mangas because.... They don't sell them anywhere where I live -__- If someone could PM me with a source though... Btw, thanks for correcting my spelling error.

To stay on subject:

That Girl's Dad from Detective Conan XD He couldn't solve a case if Conan flashed the answer in bright neon red lights XD
Fresh_Coffee
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Apr 5 2005, 05:18 PM)
Sasuke, Naruto- Yeah, he's great to add tension between he and Naruto... for a few episodes.  After a while, it's just like, Get the heck over it, you whiny SOB!

Sakura, Naruto- See above, only without any madd skills.  (I'm told she gets cooler in recent chapters of the manga, but I don't like the series enough to stick around that long, and she's already taken her sweet time anyhow.)

That is all.
[snapback]147453[/snapback]

Toby-Chan we must talk. Sakura is the so annoying all she does is talk about how she loves Sasuke, Sasuke this blah,blah. BLAH! Shut up women. She took her sweet time to start training. -______- Still.... she'll have to have an intense battle for me to like her.

Yes , Sasuke is very whiny angst.
hitokiri
QUOTE(Slashrose1010 @ Apr 5 2005, 08:44 PM)
That Girl's Dad from Detective Conan XD He couldn't solve a case if Conan flashed the answer in bright neon red lights XD
[snapback]147468[/snapback]

while do hate both the character and the series, the dad IS necessary he's the only reason people listen to that little punkass kid. though i still don't understand why anyone would drug someone to make them a kid, when they could just kill them.... one of the many various reasons i hate that show.
Blade Alchemist
I think the most useless is Toki from the Samuria X movie (the one that takes place after the Rurouni Kenshin t.v. series). All she did was cry dry.gif
hitokiri
QUOTE(Blade Alchemist @ Apr 5 2005, 09:42 PM)
I think the most useless is Toki from the Samuria X movie (the one that takes place after the Rurouni Kenshin t.v. series). All she did was cry dry.gif
[snapback]147505[/snapback]

toki? who? do you mean tomoe? and aren't the samurai x movies set in the bakumatsu period, thus making it BEFORE the series?
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Apr 5 2005, 07:54 PM)
QUOTE(Blade Alchemist @ Apr 5 2005, 09:42 PM)
[snapback]147505[/snapback]

toki? who? do you mean tomoe? and aren't the samurai x movies set in the bakumatsu period, thus making it BEFORE the series?
[snapback]147514[/snapback]

What? Tomoe wasn't useless? Are you thinking of whats-her-face that came after Tomoe. If so, yeah, she was a bit on the useless side.
hitokiri
oh ok i get it now... theres apparently a samruai x the motion picture or some crap thats takes place during the RK series... toki is just some supporting character apparently.... and yes i agree that tomoe is one of most important characters series/movies, without her there is no RK. though i wouldn't call kaoru completely useless, she's turns kenshin back into shinta... though yes she is kinda generic and a hinderence.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Yes Samurai X, trust and betrayal is one of my favorite animes. Reflections, not so great. The Karou in Reflections is not the same one as in the RK anime. Reflections Karou is quite the milquetoast and, well useless for the most part. She just sort of let everyone step all over her. Not the same strong Karou as in the series.

I still have no idea who Toki is.
The Colonel's Girl
Anzu-YGO, her speeches just annoy me ans she doesn't duel
Winry-She just doesn't like alchemists and the military, but she joins and she likes one, plus she looks like Riza...
Sakura-She's just annoying

There's so many, I can't remember them...But these are the most useless to me.
Zarpia
I don't think that winry is useless.
AlphonseRules
The purpose of most side characters to simply move the plot along.

Nina-her only purpose is to be cute and then die.
Blade Alchemist
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Apr 5 2005, 08:42 PM)
Yes Samurai X, trust and betrayal  is one of my favorite animes. Reflections, not so great. The Karou in Reflections is not the same one as in the RK anime. Reflections Karou is quite the milquetoast and, well useless for the most part. She just sort of let everyone step all over her. Not the same strong Karou as in the series.

[snapback]147536[/snapback]

Here's a pic. of her.
I'm pretty sure her name was Toki.
Kitty Cat
Most useless characters:

Sakura Kinomoto (?) Card Captor Sakura- She really sucks. I was like "... this character SUCKS."

Mayura (Matantei Loki Ragnarok) - It's like the only thing she can say is "Mystery!"

Risa Harada (D.N. Angel)- For heaven sake, she is the WORST character in DN Angel

Ran Mouri (Detective Conan) - Go get another guy... it's useless waiting for Shinichi

Wrath - Whines too much. I hate him anyway.

Envy - Such a... *rambles on with swear words*
Fresh_Coffee
QUOTE(Blade Alchemist @ Apr 5 2005, 08:57 PM)
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Apr 5 2005, 08:42 PM)
Yes Samurai X, trust and betrayal  is one of my favorite animes. Reflections, not so great. The Karou in Reflections is not the same one as in the RK anime. Reflections Karou is quite the milquetoast and, well useless for the most part. She just sort of let everyone step all over her. Not the same strong Karou as in the series.

[snapback]147536[/snapback]

Here's a pic. of her.
I'm pretty sure her name was Toki.
[snapback]147584[/snapback]

I don't remember Toki. ;_; What does she do?

Kitty:

Your saying Sakura Kinomoto is useless? SHE'S THE MAIN CHARACTER without her there is no plot.

Envy is useless?

I say that Leorio from HunterxHunter is useless he can't do anything and has a crappy story.
Kihaku
Kitty cat:
You think Sakura from CCS was useless? um.. she was the main character, had pretty awesome powers (in that series) and pretty much everything revolved around her.... You might think that she sucks, but that doesn't make her a useless character. There wouldn't be much of a serious without her. And... to add my personal opinion.. I thought that she was a mature and likeable character.. not overly great and perfect and not everything went her way....

okay now the useless characters.

Sakuno (Tennis no Oujisama): I think I loath her even more than Pan. She's not only whiny, useless, and annoying... she has absolutely no purpose in the whole series. She isn't even needed as a cheerleader... or a Ryouma fan. There are those already. She's nothing.

Pan (DBGT) : I think the series would have been better without her.. and a great deal of characters were pretty irrelevant in this series anyway

Sakura (Naruto): I like this character... but she really is pretty useless... the poor
third wheel.. *sighs*

Apis (One Piece): yeah.. and well all the filler characters actually... and the fillers too..

Rebecca (Yu-gi-oh! Duel Monsters): She wasn't in the manga, they didn't need her in the anime either

heh, it's funny how people mentioned Anzu, without mentioning Honda. He's pretty much the same... yeah, I guess both chracters are useless in their own way...

It's sad in DBZ how basically all the humans became so irrelevant later...
Also in other anime.. how great characters just.. fade away...

can't think of anything else at the moment.
hitokiri
ok while i understand that people hate characters, lord knows i have quite a long list of hated charcters myself, but i would like to reiterate a point:

JUST BECAUSE YOU HATE A CHARACTER DOESN'T MAKE THEM USELESS!!!! YOU HAVE TO P-R-O-V-E IT!!!!

i couldn't care less about your feelings, and they have no place here... if you want to talk about your feelings go pay a therapist to listen to them or go on oprah.... YOU MUST PROVE YOUR CASE!!!!!!
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(The Colonel's Girl @ Apr 5 2005, 09:14 PM)
Winry-She just doesn't like alchemists and the military, but she joins and she likes one, plus she looks like Riza...
[snapback]147562[/snapback]

How does that make her uesless?

And I don't think she ever declares not to like state alchemists (Pinako does), but a general dislike of state alchemists is a common sentiment in their world anyhow.

Winry has purpose. Purposefulness isn't gauged by how many fights you can win, or making some huge plot revelation. Winry is an important familial figure in the Elrics' life. In my life, I personally can't think of anything more useful than being a good friend to somebody.
Plus, it's not like she just sits there at home and waits for them in her little apron baking pies. She has her own goals and motivations in life. She's a normal teenager, who cares about her friends, optimistically pursues her passion in mechanics, and does an amazing job at making a difference, even without full involvement with the conflicts, or the Elrics' quest for the stone.
hitokiri
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Apr 6 2005, 03:33 PM)
Winry has purpose.  Purposefulness isn't gauged by how many fights you can win, or making some huge plot revelation.  Winry is an important familial figure in the Elrics' life.  In my life, I personally can't think of anything more useful than being a good friend to somebody. 
Plus, it's not like she just sits there at home and waits for them in her little apron baking pies.  She has her own goals and motivations in life.  She's a normal teenager, who cares about her friends, optimistically pursues her passion in mechanics, and does an amazing job at making a difference, even without full involvement with the conflicts, or the Elrics' quest for the stone.
[snapback]147881[/snapback]

yes she would be important in real life, but as far as the series goes she DOES have to do something to be important... she's not ed's motivating force, she doesn't do anything to help them other than what they could pay ANY automail mechanic to do, she doesn't have an insights into anything; in short she's does NOTHING. her character role could be done by just about anyone/anything... hell she's basically, for ed and al, the equivalent of what black hayate is for riza; though black hayate actually plays an ACTIVE role.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Apr 6 2005, 04:00 PM)
she doesn't have an insights into anything; in short she's does NOTHING. her character role could be done by just about anyone/anything...  hell she's basically, for ed and al, the equivalent of what black hayate is for riza; though black hayate actually plays an ACTIVE role.
[snapback]147974[/snapback]

Oh common!

Winry brings more to the series than black Hayate does. Sure he's cute and ads comic relief but if that's all your looking for Winry does the same and so much more.
Slashrose1010
QUOTE(Kihaku @ Apr 6 2005, 12:53 PM)
Rebecca (Yu-gi-oh! Duel Monsters): She wasn't in the manga, they didn't need her in the anime either

I agree she doesn't really have any kind of story value nor does anything but whine about how it is Yami's fault Yugi is sealed, but I don't mind her that much. I pick her over Tea any day.

-Dastun from The Big O: He is not a crucial part of teh story nor does his military police do much to the MegaDueses. Though I did like his character.

-Jin from Samurai Champloo: Just Kidding tongue.gif (never even seen it T.T)
ScarredSweetheart
I agree completley. WINRY IS USELESS! Pinako could be Eds mechanic, but noooo....
Aeris: Usless in battle. I loved her, seriously I did, but she just never helped at all.
Rinoa: Clingy. Stupid. Whiny.
Yumi (chobits): She never does anything bu cry and complain about persocoms.
Carnal Malefactor
Everyone in Excel Saga is utterly useless. But that's what makes it so funny.
Slashrose1010
QUOTE(ScarredSweetheart @ Apr 6 2005, 08:10 PM)
Aeris: Usless in battle. I loved her, seriously I did, but she just never helped at all.

blink.gif You think Aeris was useless in battle? I loved using Aeris laugh.gif She was a great healer. Yuffie on the other hand is pretty much a complete waste of time. I don't know why I even bother to get her dry.gif

Rikku FFX- She isn't that good in battle and she constantly says "You know?" and "Yunie!" *stab stab* She looks good at least biggrin.gif (And yes I know everyone thinks everyone besides Auron is useless in that game -__-)
Kihmari Rhonso (no explanation needed)
Vegnagun- Easiest Final Boss EVER!!
Ellie from Xenogears- Bart was much better tongue.gif Ellie was just the love affair
Emma Emmerich *MGS2* She was utterly useless laugh.gif
Solidus Snake *tsk tsk* Such a dissapointing boss and all around game. Also, his eye patch is on the opposite of Jack's for some reason blink.gif
Fresh_Coffee
Yuffie is useless the only reason I had her was to get that bonus. Now , Vincent on the other is a way cooler secert character. XD
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Fresh_Coffee @ Apr 8 2005, 04:03 PM)
Yuffie is useless the only reason I had her was to get that bonus. Now , Vincent on the other is a way cooler secert character. XD
[snapback]148928[/snapback]

I wanted to kill Yuffie through out the entire game. The only reason to get her is to get the materia that she wins. She's useless in battle pretty much. Not that I used her that often I have to say.

Yes I agree Vincent is worth all the trouble it takes to get him.
Carnal Malefactor
I always considered Cait Sith the most useless FFVII character.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Apr 8 2005, 06:18 PM)
[snapback]149023[/snapback]

By far.
This thread has brough one thing to my attention. I tend to block useless VG and anime characters out of my mind.
Celestial Shadow
Kongol from The Legend of Dragoon

Lucia from Shadow Hearts

I agree with the Cait Sith thing. Otherwise, it's pretty hard to think of main characters who didn't contribute to the plot really.
Carnal Malefactor
Legend of Dragoon is useless as a whole.
Slashrose1010
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Apr 8 2005, 08:18 PM)

Dear Playstation Lords yes! The only, only thing he did the entire game was activate the switch in the Ancient's Pyramid so they could get the Dark Materia... Too bad Sephy ends up taking it anyways... dry.gif
mongooseboi
those 3 friends from green green TV. they piss every view off.
Fresh_Coffee
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Apr 8 2005, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Apr 8 2005, 06:18 PM)
[snapback]149023[/snapback]

By far.
This thread has brough one thing to my attention. I tend to block useless VG and anime characters out of my mind.
[snapback]149025[/snapback]

Caith Sith can't do anything I never fought with him once alone when I had to. He was pretty useless.
Electrastar
In general, ever since I saw FMA' I think Glutonny is a big fat waste of ink and paint. My God, he doesn't do anything at all and has no major role in the story and doesn't make it advance in any way possible....
Toby-Chan
Gluttony's useful. He makes a great device for covering your tracks. Think about it; if you need to kill someone and do away with the evidence, how else than with an ally who can eat anything?

Plus
[spoiler] Dante was going to use his body for forming the philosopher's stone. Too bad he decided she would taste better. X3 [/spoiler]
Obcessed Mechanic
Ugh... stewy. That character is useless. I also really don't like Jaken, that imp creeps me out. ><

QUOTE(ScarredSweetheart @ Apr 6 2005, 06:10 PM)
I agree completley.  WINRY IS USELESS! Pinako could be Eds mechanic, but noooo....
Rinoa: Clingy. Stupid. Whiny.
Yumi (chobits): She never does anything bu cry and complain about persocoms.
[snapback]148063[/snapback]

WINRY IS NOT USELESS!!!! What happens if Pinako dies? She's old anyway, and no one could move as fast as Winry. She's also cool.

But I agree that Yumi is useless. She's just hopeless.
The Colonel's Girl
I still say Winry...And Gluttony...He gains nothing by eating.

But Yumi is quite useless...But she is pretty cool.
ScarredSweetheart
Elly from xenosaga was not useless! I used her magic alot.
Toby-Chan
Houji from Rurouni Kenshin. "The most devoted Juppongatana", my foot. He does absolutely nothing proactive, except fawn ridiculously over how wonderful Shishio-Sama is, and then go insane and bust up the pipes in his headquarters.

At least the other members of the ten swords actually did something. Even Yumi was useful enough. Shishio keeping Houji around makes no sense to me.
Falling_Man
Tetsuo's girlfriend/sister from the Akira movie. Why'd they stick her in the movie? All she was at that one point was fanservice and another bloody doll... (although I don't think she had any fans...) Besides... [spoiler]All that happens is that she hangs out with Tetsuo, gets punched, sexually harassed and squeezed to death by her boyfriend/brother... And what kind of chick doesn't wear a bra in that part of town? Is she a hooker? Flat broke? Just plain stupid?[/spoiler] All Tetsuo was say her name and something along the lines of get the hell away from me or something...
I think most of the characters in the anime had rather short-lived lives. Ryu... That politician... I'd say Akira too, but he's the namesake of the series...
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Falling_Man @ Apr 10 2005, 09:04 PM)
Tetsuo's girlfriend/sister from the Akira movie.

I just finished reading the Akira manga and in it she had a much bigger part as was a little more important to the story (notice I said a little). I don't know why they had her in the movie but they did that with serveral characters that had bigger more inportant parts in the manga but were bit players in the movie. Akira really should of been a series.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.