Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hall Of Shame! Stealing Is Bad, People!
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Site Support Center > Announcements & Site News
Pages: 1, 2
Chibi Viki
It has come to our attention that there are some sites stealing articles and hotlinking some stuff from this site to theirs and claiming them as their own.

People, this is called "PLAGIARISM"... it is another form of stealing which, in some cases, could end in a law suit against you.

Now, this is a friendly site... but still, we find this act offensive.

So if you find any site that stole anything from Fullmetal-alchemist.com, please post here or report to the mods.

take this site, for example:

Emily's site... read her articles and the articles in the "Factbook" section of this site

This was posted as of March 31, 2005. This post pending to be re-editted if site owner complies with our demands to take down the articles and everthing taken from FM-A.com

Thanks! Your help is very much appreciated.
Le Monkey
YAY!

good idea viki!!
Chibi Viki
it's actually sad to know how ignorant some people are to this kind of thing.
Riza Babe
Hmm I'll keep an eye on some fma forums O_O
Elderberry
Indeed. I will also make an effort to be more observant of such things. mellow.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
What kind of dumbass steal from a site, puts it on their own then pimps said site on the forums of the very site they ripped off?

Some peoples kids I swear.
Fresh_Coffee
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Mar 31 2005, 12:20 PM)
What kind of dumbass steal from a site, puts it on their own then pimps said site on the forums of the very site they ripped off?

Some peoples kids I swear.
[snapback]143577[/snapback]

laugh.gif Took the words out of my mouth.
alchemist x
Well...
I'll try to try, although this is the only website I am ever on.
Ailuro
Viki, I love you. This is brilliant. biggrin.gif
Quistis88
I hope the site owner has done something about this, especially after ninja and I gave a little scolding last night. biggrin.gif

Great example, Viki. biggrin.gif
mongooseboi
scolding to who?
xrninja
to the person who decided to copy and paste our site's info onto hers, and then make a thread here with a link to her site. dry.gif
Quistis88
You can see the sun and fun here, kiddies.
Le Monkey
lol.. silly little kiddie!
Blackwings
That sure is rather very rude stealing articles from sites!
Chibi Viki
i already PM'd the site owner. She said she didn't know that what she did was wrong and apologized.

anyway, I gave her 1 month to undo her mistake. That should be enough time for her to write her own articles and upload pics on her own server. If she does, I'll re-edit my first post and remove her address.

Anyway, thanks for the support, guys.
Alchemist_Angel
I often wonder why people steal. sleep.gif There isn't any point in it...*sigh*
AA battery
Chibi Viki: That site is down already... wow xD *too lazy to rewrite stuff eh*

High schools need to teach more issues regarding plagarism... It happened many times that some people would just find an essay or sth online and hand them in and the teacher give them good grades =\ The importance of NOT plagarizing is not stressed enough to people until they are in university =\ We should actually complain to the ministry of education! xDDD
xrninja
QUOTE(armor-alchemist @ Apr 21 2005, 03:47 PM)
High schools need to teach more issues regarding plagarism... It happened many times that some people would just find an essay or sth online and hand them in and the teacher give them good grades =\ The importance of NOT plagarizing is not stressed enough to people until they are in university =\ We should actually complain to the ministry of education! xDDD
[snapback]158086[/snapback]

at my high school, a single incident of plagiarism can lead to being kicked out of the class, plus a referral to the vice principal's office, i think. ph34r.gif
Quistis88
QUOTE(xrninja @ Apr 22 2005, 01:41 AM)
at my high school, a single incident of plagiarism can lead to being kicked out of the class, plus a referral to the vice principal's office, i think. ph34r.gif

I still say that is not extreme enough. biggrin.gif *is a bit of a sadist when it comes to plagiarizers*

They should treat cases of plagiarism in the following manners:

Plagiarize in university = Expulsion (which they already do)
Plagiarize at work = "You're fired."
Plagiarize in high school = Expulsion
Plagiarize in junior high school = Expulsion
Plagiarize in elementary = Suspension
Plagiarize in kindergarten = Time out
Plagiarize in pre-school = No nap time
Yamato145
I have a question ... i have a lot of you guys pics on my photobucket account and use them as avatars on other sites ... is that ok?
Quistis88
QUOTE(Yamato145 @ Apr 23 2005, 09:42 PM)
I have a question ... i have a lot of you guys pics on my photobucket account and use them as avatars on other sites ... is that ok?

What do you mean, our pics? What pics?

And no, that is not okay. That is also plagiarism, unless you credit the creator.
~FMAgurl~
Okay, umm...is it plagarism if you use a picture from the web but not claim it as your own?
Yamato145
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Apr 23 2005, 09:54 PM)
QUOTE(Yamato145 @ Apr 23 2005, 09:42 PM)

What do you mean, our pics? What pics?

And no, that is not okay. That is also plagiarism, unless you credit the creator.
[snapback]159622[/snapback]

like pictures off of this website ... and are you serious, using a picture off of someone elses website as an avatar is plagiarism?!
Dystopian Rhetoric
Plagiarize at work = "You're fired."

I'd like to draw your attention to the song Lobachevsky by the satirist Tom Lehrer. Highlights the hypocracy of the academia on this subject quite nicely.
theultimatealchemist
Yeah, for the most part.

My teachers say that you should always "cite" your information if it's not your own.

Good ol MLA system.

One of the English teachers at my high school wrote a few books on the stuff. However, he's the meanest guy in the world. (Ha ha, just kidding.) If you were to plagiarize on a paper of any sort, the consequence is, actually he'd probably say the death sentence.

None of the sophmores like him. He likes to talk a lot about himself and his book, too.

But, that's besides the point. The point is that if you cite your picture/information correctly, it's not stealing. That would be completely legal to give the creator the credit where deserved.

O yeah. I feel like I'm finally getting something out of school! XD
Quistis88
QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ Apr 24 2005, 01:55 PM)
Okay, umm...is it plagarism if you use a picture from the web but not claim it as your own?

Well, proper credit must be given to the creator.

QUOTE(Yamato145 @ Apr 24 2005, 03:14 PM)
like pictures off of this website ... and are you serious, using a picture off of someone elses website as an avatar is plagiarism?!

If the site owner says that you can use the avatars to your liking, then that is not plagiarism, as you have the site owner's permission.

QUOTE(Dystopian Rhetoric @ Apr 24 2005, 03:19 PM)
I'd like to draw your attention to the song Lobachevsky by the satirist Tom Lehrer. Highlights the hypocracy of the academia on this subject quite nicely.

I shall check that out some time.

QUOTE(theultimatealchemist @ Apr 24 2005, 03:19 PM)
But, that's besides the point. The point is that if you cite your picture/information correctly, it's not stealing. That would be completely legal to give the creator the credit where deserved.

O yeah. I feel like I'm finally getting something out of school! XD

Good for you. biggrin.gif So, yes, the bottom line is that if you're going to take something that is not yours, credit it or else.
xrninja
QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ Apr 24 2005, 12:55 PM)
[snapback]160030[/snapback]

it's more commonly called "art thievery." it's not exactly like the kind where you claim another artist's picture as your own, but majority of artists don't want their work taken and used anywhere else, so taking it without permission for layouts, avatars, sigs, and anything online is violating their rules and therefore does constitute as thievery. far too many people don't bother abiding by that, though, which pisses me off.

QUOTE(Yamato145 @ Apr 24 2005, 02:14 PM)
[snapback]160090[/snapback]

like i said above, technically, yeah. like quisty said, it does depend on the artist and if they say it's okay to use their art without permission/you ask for permission, then you're fine. many sites have a banner linking here though, which means that it's not okay to take anything from their site.
alchemist x
But we can take pictures and convert them into something els like a signature, right?
xrninja
if it's someone else fanart/doujinshi, it falls under the same rules i stated above, where it IS technically thievery if it's taken and used without the artist's permission. "taken" means used anywhere other than the artist's site and where the artist has posted it, like layouts, sigs, avatars, etc.

as much as i'd like to remove every sig and avatar here made out of someone else's fanart and replace it with links to www3.to/ofp, that'd be a near-impossible task to regularly do and enforce.
alchemist x
Ok, sense my avatar and signature were made from pictures from this site, I am fine?
xrninja
yeah, you're fine. i read somewhere or another that even official art is technically taboo and when it comes down to it, only your own art is okay, but i think that's taking it a little far and no company has ever come down on anyone's head for using official art for layouts, avatars, and etc. so yeah, official art for series is okay.
alchemist x
Goodlike. I am probably going to change my signature anyway. wouldn't ya know.
«°~Gluttony™~°»
You know I tend to do this kind of stuff but I always give credit to the person that put the artical, like for instance

if I seen something that was cool or informative to what I was looking for, and I just copy it and post it somewhere I always give a link to where I got it from, in other words I don't take the credit but I do tend to just copy things to show others lol, hope that isn't offensive
infatuation_junkie
QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ Mar 31 2005, 09:53 AM)
take this site, for example:

Emily's site... read her articles and the articles in the "Factbook" section of this site

This was posted as of March 31, 2005. This post pending to be re-editted if site owner complies with our demands to take down the articles and everthing taken from FM-A.com

Thanks! Your help is very much appreciated.
[snapback]143502[/snapback]

I will keep an eye out for the stuff from here, but I actually wanted you to know that the link that you have posted doesn't work.
So the good news is that they're not using your stuff anymore.
The bad news...? Well, nothing but that link doesn't work.
A Dude that says stuff
Hmm.. interesting topic...

To make it absolutely clear: I did not set off a nuclear device and then photograph it so that i could make my sig. I just found the pic on some random site, the information about the explosion too biggrin.gif Ivy, i love you Ivy, i really do rolleyes.gif

Not to mention the avatar! Not only is it negative criticism on the entire Taco Bell fast food chain, but i just got it from someone through msn messenger! so that's a triple crime right there! Violation against taco bell, against the microsoft network and ofcourse the creator's copyright. Im a criminal! All this sunday school for nothing!

And then of course, there's 80% of all the avatars and sigs by all of this site's members: FMA screenshot images from the episodes, art related to FMA and etc. I can pretty much shoot myself on the fact that no one really bothered to get some kind of a written permission from the creators of FMA, the ppl that drew the animations and everyone else that were involved in the making of FMA. Heh.. yes.. I mean this is a fullmetal alchemist fansite and all... but when u break it down... what is really legal? is it legal to lie to your parents? is it legal to beat someone up because he/she's "deserves" it on some basis that you decide? Who's the criminal?

A good example of 0% respect for copyright laws is the famous blog culture, where 9 out of every 10 letters written are copied from a copyright protected source and presented as own material, and where most pictures that aren't of one's friends, are stolen.

So what's my conclusion on this subject? everyone's a criminal! the human race is tainted with evil intentions and mostly consists of misguided fools, that do stupid stuff because they didn't really know better.
hagane_no_tokage
QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Apr 22 2005, 03:18 AM)
Plagiarize in kindergarten = Time out
Plagiarize in pre-school = No nap time
[snapback]158375[/snapback]

wow, desh. i don't even think those kids can read yet... biggrin.gif
chibi_kitsune
The link in the first post it's working, just in case you didn't know. smile.gif

I try to remember to give creit for things, like for one avatars. I make sure I sure the site lets me use them (they make them for others to use them) or I ask if I can use use. I would feel bad if I didn't.
hagane_no_tokage
please also try to remember to...not double post? happy.gif;; this is what the happy little edit button is for. it's a pre-emptive strike against the wrath of the mods. biggrin.gif
chibi_kitsune
QUOTE(hagane_no_tokage @ May 22 2005, 01:54 AM)
please also try to remember to...not double post?  happy.gif;;  this is what the happy little edit button is for.  it's a pre-emptive strike against the wrath of the mods.  biggrin.gif
[snapback]177190[/snapback]

Oop. o.k. sorry, i'll try to remember that as well. I'm a bit new here so i'm still learning.
welcome
QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ Mar 31 2005, 10:09 AM)
it's actually sad to know how ignorant some people are to this kind of thing.y can't people respect us for who we r.
[snapback]143506[/snapback]

c00per
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=red]
QUOTE(le monkey @ Apr 1 2005, 03:26 AM)
lol.. silly little kiddie!
[snapback]144235[/snapback]

you no speak english good
foolmetal alchemist
Guest spam ticks me off......
fullmetalalchemistchick
that makes since i give all the credit to all the websites on my web site
Kaitou_Raistlin
ugh we should ph34r.gif ninja ppl who plagerise
DarkBlade_Alchemist
Some of these people who steal from other sites need to be slaped really hard in the face with something heavy.

(little Bastards)
DameGreyWulf
I hate those who do not give credit
I've caught an art thief before, but she gave credit afterwards so I've done my duty ne?
Anyway
*salutes* Major Dame here to assist in the insuring of no theft of any of FM-A.com's articles!
As of yet I report no attempts at theft!
Copycat-Heather-Elric
People who steal should be uterly shuned from ....things and stuff.
Toby-Chan
QUOTE(Copycat-Heather-Elric @ Aug 10 2005, 01:32 PM)
People who steal should be uterly shuned from ....things and stuff.
[snapback]247927[/snapback]

This coming from the person who claims others' work as her own on Deviant Art?
My Alchemist Romance
I tend to take pictures form websites for my msn group. BUT I totally give credit and thank the sources.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.