Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ed's Arm In The Movie
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > FMA Conqueror of Shambala Movie
Pages: 1, 2
Syn
Ed seems to have an "ordinary" (not so much) prosthetic arm in the trailer for the movie, and I've heard that this is the case on various forums and whatnot.

But at the end of the series, he seems to have his automail arm.. such as in that final shot where he's stretching his arm out of the window and it shows what's beneath his clothing.

So is it known why he ends up with a prosthetic and loses his automail? Did he just lose his arm and leg entirely again during that final transmutation, and that last shot in the series was just for effect, when he actually had a prosthetic already? Or is all of this just speculation, and will be explained in the movie? :P

Just curious if I overlooked something.
xrninja
when he crosses over to our world, his automail arm becomes a prothestic arm because, well, we don't have automail in our world. in the last shot of the series, when he's stretching his arm towards the sun, his clothes disappears and they show the automail arm, right? i'm 99% sure that's just for effect and the symbolism (which would be not nearly as powerful with the prosthetic arm).

his new arm, the one in the movie trailer, seems to be pretty darn nifty though, with the lawnmower handle and disappearing skin and all. the movie will most likely answer questions about his limbs. smile.gif
utsukushii
As for Syn's questions what xrninja said is true. Ed didn't 're-lose' his limbs but the automail just doesn't work...like alchemy, Ed still knows it, he just can't use it.

QUOTE(xrninja @ Mar 28 2005, 03:52 AM)
his new arm, the one in the movie trailer, seems to be pretty darn nifty though, with the lawnmower handle and disappearing skin and all. the movie will most likely answer questions about his limbs. smile.gif
[snapback]140965[/snapback]

That's got me curious too. After I saw the preview, I said..."did he just start his arm like a lawnmower? blink.gif "
Ballistic Alchemist
maybe starting the engine or whatever in his arm, might give him energy sorce to do alchemy in the real world. I don't know maybe??? unsure.gif
Alchemist_ed
this may be stupid to ask this as i havnt got a chance to see all of FMA but does he ever get a chance to bring his a rm back to nomal or is he sent into our world before then?
Tobu Ishi
Edward /did/ re-lose his limbs.

Think about it. Al restored him. He had his arm and leg back. Therefore, his automail was gone. Vanished. Finito.

Then, Ed sacrificed his arm (and possibly leg) in trade for Al's life. The equation actually balances; I worked it out once. It's somewhere on these forums. It involved the overbalancing of one side with the sacrifice of Al /and/ the Philosopher's Stone allowing for a minimal sacrifice on Ed's part (though he didn't know it at the time, poor kid).

So he was dumped into Europe again minus his arm (and possibly leg). He's got a typical 1910s prosthesis in Ep. 51 (yes, I did research this--I'm trying to be period-accurate in Fullmetal Folly, the RP I'm playing Ed in). The reach-for-the-sky shot at the end was, indeed, just for effect; notice how he clumsily raises the prosthesis which then fades into his old hand. It's his imagination.

And apparently by the time of the movie, he's made some adjustments to it, such as artificial skin. The artificial skin annoys the heck out of me. They did /not/ have that in the post-WWI era. They had better do some good explaining.
utsukushii
That's good research, Tobu Ishi...thanks for that info--I had forgotten about his one minute restoration. Very nicely explained *thumbs up* smile.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Well here's my theory.

Ed fixed his hand after I think Wrath broke it off with some spare metal parts he found lying around which is why his hand looked different. When he reaches for the sky at the end it's the spare parts hand he has. I think he get's fitted with regular prostheses because he outgrew his automail, remember it would of been two years and he would of grow some, that and the fact that there would be no one there to fix his automail.

That's my crackpot theory I hope it made sense, I'm on lots of cold medicine. wacko.gif
Mahou_Alchemist
yea but when ed was with hohenheim before he left for transylvania we could see that whenhe was packing he had automail. personally i think ed removed his own automail and got a prosthetic (however it's spelled)arm. so that way he wouldn't appear suspicious
MasterKris
Edward /did/ re-lose his limbs.

Think about it. Al restored him. He had his arm and leg back. Therefore, his automail was gone. Vanished. Finito.

Then, Ed sacrificed his arm (and possibly leg) in trade for Al's life. The equation actually balances; I worked it out once. It's somewhere on these forums. It involved the overbalancing of one side with the sacrifice of Al /and/ the Philosopher's Stone allowing for a minimal sacrifice on Ed's part (though he didn't know it at the time, poor kid).

So he was dumped into Europe again minus his arm (and possibly leg). He's got a typical 1910s prosthesis in Ep. 51 (yes, I did research this--I'm trying to be period-accurate in Fullmetal Folly, the RP I'm playing Ed in). The reach-for-the-sky shot at the end was, indeed, just for effect; notice how he clumsily raises the prosthesis which then fades into his old hand. It's his imagination.

And apparently by the time of the movie, he's made some adjustments to it, such as artificial skin. The artificial skin annoys the heck out of me. They did /not/ have that in the post-WWI era. They had better do some good explaining.

First of all, Ed sacrificed his arm and leg, the Philosopher's Stone, AND the 4 years of hard work for both Ed and Al. Ed did sacrifice his leg because in the movie magazine scans, it shows Ed's leg with an artificial limb.

Also, this is just all science-fiction. No need for our world to be perfect in the FMA movie. The movie-maker guys tried they're best to make our world like our world. Besides, Ed can't do anything without artificial limbs. Also, if it WAS realistic, Envy can't be in the movie because he's a dragon...and a Homonculus.
WynterMajik
QUOTE(Mahou_Alchemist @ Apr 1 2005, 03:43 PM)
yea but when ed was with hohenheim before he left for transylvania we could see  that when he was packing he had automail. personally i think ed removed his own automail and got a prosthetic (however it's spelled)arm. so that way he wouldn't appear suspicious
[snapback]144479[/snapback]

I agree with that. In the last episode we did see that he had an auto mail arm, if i'm not mistaken. I could be but I watched teh episode yesterday so it's still pretty fresh in my memory and I remember seeing it.
Kamajii
I'm not so sure. The first screen we see Ed eating wearing his automail. But in the second we see him packing. It looks more prostetic then metalic to me.
IPB Image
IPB Image

As far as the human hand you see in the ending it is Alphonse reaching out to his brother from his world. But what gets me is that it shows Edward reaching back w/ his automail and with the time period prostetics weren't as advanced as automail is and he was able to twist his arm and grip his fist.

IPB Image
Electrastar
Yeah, but I don't have my animes in my computer anymore, but I think that if you look at another shot, his arm seems more brown than grey (maybe a shift from metal to wood ) and it doesn't seem to be his automail arm.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Electrastar @ Apr 8 2005, 05:15 PM)
Yeah, but I don't have my animes in my computer anymore, but I think that if you look at another shot, his arm seems more brown than grey (maybe a shift from metal to wood ) and it doesn't seem to be his automail arm.
[snapback]148977[/snapback]

One more time.

He made another hand out of spare metal lying around after Wrath broke his hand off so it looks much different than his regular automail hand.

I actually went back and watched the end of episode 51 to double check and yes it's still his automail. When he's on the train he's wearing his gloves so it looks like the new prostetics that he has in the movie.
where can i see the movie trailer because i saw all the fan subed episodes of FMA and i wanna see the trailer
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 8 2005, 08:00 PM)
where can i see the movie trailer because i saw all the fan subed episodes of FMA and i wanna see the trailer
[snapback]149067[/snapback]

Check out the news section. The newest trailer is on there and the link to the movie site should be there too.
Edo-mame
Now I'm really confused. I thought that when he went to our world, he lost his automail and got some kind of fake arm put in. When he was packing his little suit case he didn't use his right arm at all and it looked particularly limp. Until he moved it on the train I though it was made of wood and wasn't actually functional(didn't know prostheitics exited during that time). The arm couldn't have been automail could it? I always thought that the automail hand he raised was for symbolism... but then I don't really know how prosthetic works. Automail works by connecting the nerve endings to wires in the automail, if the prothetics then worked like that then perhaps the automail would still work since it is not used via some un-invented method and would still exist. If that is the case then Edo might have swtiched it from automail to a prosthetic that existed during the 1920's.

Does it bother anyone else that the hand of the new arm is gone in that scene? Thats how he is pulling that string on it... so what then, will he will need a new arm? Or does the motor do something....
Electrastar
QUOTE(Edo-mame @ Apr 8 2005, 11:51 PM)
Now I'm really confused. I thought that when he went to our world, he lost his automail and got some kind of fake arm put in. When he was packing his little suit case he didn't use his right arm at all and it looked particularly limp. Until he moved it on the train I though it was made of wood and wasn't actually functional(didn't know prostheitics exited during that time). The arm couldn't have been automail could it? I always thought that the automail hand he raised was for symbolism... but then I don't really know how prosthetic works. Automail works by connecting the nerve endings to wires in the automail, if the prothetics then worked like that then perhaps the automail would still work since it is not used via some un-invented method and would still exist. If that is the case then Edo might have swtiched it from automail to a prosthetic that existed during the 1920's.

Does it bother anyone else that the hand of the new arm is gone in that scene? Thats how he is pulling that string on it... so what then, will he will need a new arm? Or does the motor do something....
[snapback]149167[/snapback]

I only saw the trailer once and in pretty smal resolution so I don't remember that part. And no, I don't think it's his automail. I know he retranmuted one because his got pretty damaged in a fight (can't remember wich one) because when Al sacrificed himself to bring Edward back, he restored his brother's body so he had a real arm and a real leg. When Ed brought back his brother and restored his body, he gave up what he had just regained and since automail doesn't exist in our world, he has a different kind of prostectics at the end of the anime series and I think that the automail shot from the train is just symbolism.
Ed's_Girl
Yeah. When he got his arm back, was able to transmute his arm or something??
Syn
Wow. This thread sure grew since I last checked back.. And I'm actually *more* confused after reading all this than I was before! (:

I do specifically recall Ed having both his limbs back when he's performing the transmutation which returns Al, and sends him to the other side. So it does seem that he must have re-lost those limbs (unless he was somehow returned to his pre-regained-limbs state? But that would make no sense) as part of the exchange to return Al. I wonder, then, if he ended up on the other side of the gate without those limbs, the way he was prior to originally getting the automail attachments, or if he already had the alternate world equivalent of automail for some reason.. That wasn't explained in the show, but perhaps will be in the movie. It'd clear things up, in any case.
Jellybean
QUOTE(Tobu Ishi @ Apr 1 2005, 11:35 AM)
And apparently by the time of the movie, he's made some adjustments to it, such as artificial skin.  The artificial skin annoys the heck out of me.  They did /not/ have that in the post-WWI era.  They had better do some good explaining.
[snapback]144349[/snapback]

Stupid question---> Do they have that now?

wacko.gif This thread makes my head hurt. I think I'll just wait for the movie and try not to think about it.
Syn
QUOTE(Jellybean @ Apr 11 2005, 08:57 PM)
QUOTE(Tobu Ishi @ Apr 1 2005, 11:35 AM)
And apparently by the time of the movie, he's made some adjustments to it, such as artificial skin.  The artificial skin annoys the heck out of me.  They did /not/ have that in the post-WWI era.  They had better do some good explaining.
[snapback]144349[/snapback]

Stupid question---> Do they have that now?

:wacko: This thread makes my head hurt. I think I'll just wait for the movie and try not to think about it.
[snapback]150962[/snapback]

Sort of. They have a sort of synthetic skin I believe they can use for people like burn victims. Supposedly it doesn't look too real, but I haven't actually see any pics. I'm sure a google search could be more informative. (:
Edo-mame
I've seen the truth!(and I didn't have to pay a price either tongue.gif *is lame*) The origin and truth about Edo's new arm is[spoiler] Hohenheim made it for him. I assume that the leg was also made by him. The new mag scans translated by Sycia says this so... but I'm worried, it says that Hohenheim's gone missing(Envy... pops into my mind ohmy.gif ) so then who is going to fix Edo's lawn mower of an arm?! (because he sort of broke his arm... again. Thats like the hundredth time???) Haha I don't like Hohenheim much so no love for him tongue.gif[/spoiler]
Syn
Yeah, I saw that in the translation too. Still doesn't answer if he arrived with his old automail limbs or if he was limbless, though. But then, it's not like FMA to leave so many questions unanswered so I'm sure they'll explain.
Qeomash
What I've always assumed was when Ed came over to our world, he got the automail that he'd had just before Al transmuted him. That arm was, of course, the hastily constructed one he made after Wrath stole his hand.

However, once on our side of the gate, his automail eventually stopped working from lack of maintenance and repair. So, he's been forced to rebuild/fix it himself, hence the lawnmower engine. So, what he will have in the movie is a mechanical arm with fake prostetic skin to try and hide it. After all, a metal arm in the 1930s would be a little strange.
AA battery
On the magazine scans it says that Hohemheim made the artificial limbs for him I think... (read that a while ago, not sure if memory serves me right... can someone double check?)
Syn
QUOTE(armor-alchemist @ Apr 14 2005, 01:36 PM)
On the magazine scans it says that Hohemheim made the artificial limbs for him I think... (read that a while ago, not sure if memory serves me right... can someone double check?)
[snapback]152609[/snapback]

Yes, you're right. I've read that as well.

This also leads me to believe that he probably arrived without any limbs at all and Hohenheim created the prosthetics for him.. As opposed to arriving with his original automail and having it just *not function* or something.
AA battery
QUOTE(Syn @ Apr 14 2005, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE(armor-alchemist @ Apr 14 2005, 01:36 PM)
[snapback]152609[/snapback]

Yes, you're right. I've read that as well.

This also leads me to believe that he probably arrived without any limbs at all and Hohenheim created the prosthetics for him.. As opposed to arriving with his original automail and having it just *not function* or something.
[snapback]153053[/snapback]

Yea I agree... I just don't think Ed would have the time... even, concentration or whatever to look for his automails inside the gate after he transmutated Al...
How is this for some fun thinking:

1) What if Al made him a new body (instead of just healing him) when he sacrificed himself? Then Ed's old body would be in the gate (with automail).

2) Ed sacrifices his new body for Al's old body.

3) Ed ends up on the other side with his old body because it was in the gate (which explains why a) he did not die cool.gif why it has automail c) what he sacrificed (his new body)
AA battery
but it's different artificial limbs anyways... and that would make it really complicated... how about this then...

1) Yes, Al made Ed a new body... that punctured old body is still in the gate but Al fixed it too when he made Ed's new body... wow
2) Ed got dragged to the other side after he binded Al's soul back to his old body, using his NEW arm and leg and sacrifice... so he arrived at the other side bleeding in front of hohenheim *aww poor thing...*
3) ... then somehow, he went back to the gate after fighting dragon!envy... and got his old body back! In exchange for his memories, Al had to sacrifice his body and back to his armor self.............

AND THAT WOULD BE WHY WE GET AUTOMAIL!ED and ARMOR!AL IN THE MOVIE! o_O just a random guess that suddenly pops up... ignore me xDDD
Syn
Not only would that make me happy (because yay for automail!Ed returning!), but it also makes sense of one of Hohenheim's remarks when Ed initially passed through the gate, where he said that once a person's body crosses the gate they can't return again.. Or did I misinterpret that? I believe that was his reason for stating why he couldn't return back to the other side with Ed. He then later describes how Ed's body, mind, and soul *all* crossed to the other side, pretty much making it impossible for him to return even if he can access the gate somehow, no? /:

If that *is* the case, then Ed either needs to have a body waiting for him inside the gate to 'leap' into, or would have to find some other external method like an AU equivalent of using the philosopher's stone (though I'm not even sure if the philosopher's stone could pull someone whose body crossed over back, since Ed hadn't crossed yet when Al revived him, but it seems as possible as anything). But he shouldn't just be able to return with conventional equivalent exchange.
Edo-mame
QUOTE(armor-alchemist @ Apr 15 2005, 02:35 AM)
3) ... then somehow, he went back to the gate after fighting dragon!envy... and got his old body back! In exchange for his memories, Al had to sacrifice his body and back to his armor self.............

AND THAT WOULD BE WHY WE GET AUTOMAIL!ED and ARMOR!AL IN THE MOVIE! o_O just a random guess that suddenly pops up... ignore me xDDD
[snapback]153151[/snapback]

Then they would be back at where they started... and would make all of FMA pointles... and that would be so sad if Al had to back in the armor body again(poor Al). But I liked your other idea of how Edo would go back to Al but in his "repaired" body with the automail because he can't cross back over with the body that Al made for him. The automail Edo would be stuck with could be like a reminder of their mistakes and past experiences (like the silver pocketwatch). I just hope that they can find each other, even though it would be better if Al could remember everything.
AA battery
*ish still sticking to her "armor Al" was never real theory so she will stop taking guesses on themovie plot x.x*
digirob89
I have a really crazy theory.

What if....

Ed somehow dies in the real world. And his mind and soul were sent to the gate...(I remember something about alchemy power comes from people at the gate)....Then Al finds out that he could transmutate a soul to a peice of armor... So he offers his arm and leg to put Ed's soul into the armor that Alphonse was in before...Winry makes automail for Al...and BAM! They some how switched roles..This time Ed as the Armor, and Al with the automail! HAHA...that would be so twisted...and most likely impossible...but whatever.
Man, Father must be an automail expert, his armmaking skill is better than anything we got now, just look at the new mag pics.
Red Shadow
Well, in the manga, Hohenheim was drinking buddies with Pinako and I imagine he probably picked up some stuff from her. Coupled with Ed's knowledge of Winry's years or repairs, I think they managed to cobble together a prosthesis, that despite not being as flexible or responsive as auto-mail, is still moveable. My question is the engine, which as someone said earlier was a way to start up the arm. But why go to the trouble of using fake skin when the engine burns it off?
I thought of it as a short or he was attacked, the pulley was somekind of back up weapon. tongue.gif
Edo-mame
Or perhaps Edo has a lawn mowing job... That or perhaps there is a rocket in there (Bunniya?sp), he is studying rocketry...
BellatrixAngelofKyo
QUOTE(digirob89 @ May 9 2005, 10:27 PM)
I have a really crazy theory.

What if....

Ed somehow dies in the real world. And his mind and soul were sent to the gate...(I remember something about alchemy power comes from people at the gate)....Then Al finds out that he could transmutate a soul to a peice of armor... So he offers his arm and leg to put Ed's soul into the armor that Alphonse was in before...Winry makes automail for Al...and BAM! They some how switched roles..This time Ed as the Armor, and Al with the automail! HAHA...that would be so twisted...and most likely impossible...but whatever.
[snapback]169911[/snapback]

Wow... I honestly don't know how much I'd like that. LOL Maybe fora max of 1 Episode... laugh.gif That would actually be good fan fic material! tongue.gif Um, about Ed's arm though... I wondered that as well when I say the movie trailer: What's with Ed's new limbs? I remember hearing some where that Ed's new limbs where created by Hoenhime (can't recall how 2 spell it... I need some coffee *yawn*). I have no clue if that's true or not though ( you know how rumors are), and I'm really not sure how that would be possible in the pre-WW1 era. Hopefully they will dispell our confusion by eventually releasing some info on it offically, If they haven't already. If I find anything, I'll post it. biggrin.gif
Raganrok
Here's my theory:

Ed manages to bring back Al, but it is not perfect. Ed loses his limbs yet again, which could in fact be considered lucky (I mean, he thought he was killing himself to bring Al back). Its already been noted in several posts before that Hoenhiem created prostetic limbs for him, that are somewhat functional.

What is more interesting is that is not the only thing that is lost. Both Ed and Al "give up" 4 years of hard work. More importantly in Al's case, where he literally gives it up, as he's in his 10 year old body and has lost his memory and experience of the past 4 years.

So what happened to his memories? My theory is that they went through the gate and end up in an identical suit of armor, like when Ed went into someone else's body. I bet this is how they are able to reunite, as seen in the magazine pictures.
BellatrixAngelofKyo
QUOTE(Raganrok @ May 16 2005, 03:10 AM)
Here's my theory:

Ed manages to bring back Al, but it is not perfect. Ed loses his limbs yet again, which could in fact be considered lucky (I mean, he thought he was killing himself to bring Al back). Its already been noted in several posts before that Hoenhiem created prostetic limbs for him, that are somewhat functional.

What is more interesting is that is not the only thing that is lost. Both Ed and Al "give up" 4 years of hard work. More importantly in Al's case, where he literally gives it up, as he's in his 10 year old body and has lost his memory and experience of the past 4 years.

So what happened to his memories? My theory is that they went through the gate and end up in an identical suit of armor, like when Ed went into someone else's body. I bet this is how they are able to reunite, as seen in the magazine pictures.
[snapback]173345[/snapback]

Interesting theory! Hopefully we'll find out the answer soon. wink.gif
Koneko_chan
[quote=xrninja,Mar 28 2005, 02:52 AM]
when he crosses over to our world, his automail arm becomes a prothestic arm because, well, we don't have automail in our world. in the last shot of the series, when he's stretching his arm towards the sun, his clothes disappears and they show the automail arm, right? i'm 99% sure that's just for effect and the symbolism (which would be not nearly as powerful with the prosthetic arm).

Actually, I'm pretty sure that is the prosthetic arm in the last ep. I saw a pic and apparantly you can take the skin cover off.
silver bg
i don't know whats with his arm
Geoff
[size=7]if you havent seen the movie what happens is that ed has crossed over to the other side of the gate and there auto mail doesnt exist, they have put more effort into making machines and weapons instead of alchemey. it is prosetics made by his father once he crosses back across the gate winry is there with her new and improved auto mail for ed to wear.
The Great Asparagus
but if ed lost his automail when going to "our world" and got the prosthblahblah arm, how come his automail didn't come back when he returned to his world?
masterAlchemist 52
his arm isnt automail it eas made by his father in the movie and is supposed to function like automail but dosent live up the quallity i supposed.
Jedi28
Well, from having seen the movie, I think [spoiler]Ed relost his arm and leg when he restored Al. Since he wound up in the "real world" there was no way for him to get automail replacements so his father made him a new arm and leg. When he returned for a short time to his home, Winry fixed him up with a brand new automail arm and leg so that when he went BACK to the "real world" again he had automail limbs. All the metal robots had no trouble passing back and forth, and Al was able to pass through with everything he owned so it makes sense Ed would have been able to keep his shiny new automail. When he walks out of the ship he has all his limbs so it looks like he's okay. He would need automail anyway, his father made him an arm and leg that were WAY ahead of anything currently available in that world. When he died, Ed would have had no way of getting another arm and leg that worked so well and would have been trapped with the primarily decorative prosthetic arms and legs of that time. The only way he could get working limbs was through automail. It also makes sense becuase his leg was destroyed when he went through the gate, the leg he has when he walks out of the ship at the end is the automail one Winry made him. [/spoiler]
Winkle
QUOTE(Jedi28 @ Feb 13 2006, 12:56 AM) [snapback]349566[/snapback]

Well, from having seen the movie, I think [spoiler]Ed relost his arm and leg when he restored Al. Since he wound up in the "real world" there was no way for him to get automail replacements so his father made him a new arm and leg. When he returned for a short time to his home, Winry fixed him up with a brand new automail arm and leg so that when he went BACK to the "real world" again he had automail limbs. All the metal robots had no trouble passing back and forth, and Al was able to pass through with everything he owned so it makes sense Ed would have been able to keep his shiny new automail. When he walks out of the ship he has all his limbs so it looks like he's okay. He would need automail anyway, his father made him an arm and leg that were WAY ahead of anything currently available in that world. When he died, Ed would have had no way of getting another arm and leg that worked so well and would have been trapped with the primarily decorative prosthetic arms and legs of that time. The only way he could get working limbs was through automail. It also makes sense becuase his leg was destroyed when he went through the gate, the leg he has when he walks out of the ship at the end is the automail one Winry made him. [/spoiler]

That reminds me of another question I had with the movie.

[spoiler]Okay, so when Ed crosses the Gate for the first time in the film in the smaller rocket ship, Alphonse explains that the red rocket Ed is riding is faster then the big gunships the Thule soldiers are invading in, and as such it is fast enough to "outrun the side-effects of the Gate" which turned out to be the black tentacles that also gave Eckhart the ability do alchemy.

So my question is, when Ed and Al rode the big ship with Eckhart back through the Gate a 2nd time, why didn't get experience the "side-effects?" We KNOW the ship was further hit with more tentacles because Echkart was completely enveloped by them after the 2nd trip, yet Ed and Al emerged unscathed. Al has a possible excuse that he was hiding in the armour, but we all saw the tentacles going after the armoured soldiers before too. But Ed being untouched though also made no sense... why wasn't he covered by the black crap?[/spoiler]
Jedi28
QUOTE(Winkle @ Feb 13 2006, 01:44 AM) [snapback]349592[/snapback]

QUOTE(Jedi28 @ Feb 13 2006, 12:56 AM) [snapback]349566[/snapback]

That reminds me of another question I had with the movie.

[spoiler]Okay, so when Ed crosses the Gate for the first time in the film in the smaller rocket ship, Alphonse explains that the red rocket Ed is riding is faster then the big gunships the Thule soldiers are invading in, and as such it is fast enough to "outrun the side-effects of the Gate" which turned out to be the black tentacles that also gave Eckhart the ability do alchemy.

So my question is, when Ed and Al rode the big ship with Eckhart back through the Gate a 2nd time, why didn't get experience the "side-effects?" We KNOW the ship was further hit with more tentacles because Echkart was completely enveloped by them after the 2nd trip, yet Ed and Al emerged unscathed. Al has a possible excuse that he was hiding in the armour, but we all saw the tentacles going after the armoured soldiers before too. But Ed being untouched though also made no sense... why wasn't he covered by the black crap?[/spoiler]

Oh, the plot holes. smile.gif

I just though of something else.

[spoiler] Another possibility is that Ed had both his arm and leg, relost them when he transmuted, but was somehow returned to his automail state instead of just losing them totally. THEN because he doesn't have access to Winry or any other automail mechanic his automail, over the course of two years, malfunctioned or he outgrew it. It would have then been unusable and he'd have to have his father make him a suitable replacement. THEN when he went back home he was able to get proper automail replacements from Winry.

Also, Ed DID have both his arm and leg in the last episode. So how did Winry know he lost them again and would need automail?[/spoiler]
Jedi28
I'm going to be bad and do a double post... smile.gif

In the Anime series Ed has his automail arm and then he has a large shoulder contraption that the arm fits into. The shoulder thing has never been broken (only the arm) and you can see in several episodes that it's actually screwed into his body. In the movie when he's sitting on the bed you can see he no longer has the shoulder contraption (supports the theory that when he came through the gate it was with no arm or leg as opposed to automail that later broken or whatever). Instead he has a leather harness around his upper and lower torso.
Anyway, when he goes back to see Winry (and don't even think about how it is she knew he needed automail when Rose would have reported he got his arm and leg back) she brings ONLY an arm and leg. Suddenly he's got the shoulder contraption back when she's finished!

A. She didn't have it with her.
B. Even if she did, is she really going to sit there and preform surgery and screw it into his body?
C. Notice how it didn't hurt anymore when she put the arm on?

Explain that one! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.