Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Would You Categorize the Elrics' Race?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > FMA Character Discussions
Pages: 1, 2, 3
cutewitch
this just jumped in my mind 2 minutes ago--cause just remember that throughout the 51 episodes there was only (appear to me) one black gril (whose name i forgot but she was hurt by a train and was equipped with automail as well~~) just wanna know how do the fma fans think:)

anyway, still felt roy mustang more asian-looking ;*)
hitokiri
well the people in the main cities see to be of germanic decent, the ishbarites are supposed to be mideastern, i'm almost certain at least people of dublith are asian, as for the girl... she doesn't look black to me... maybe latino or mulatto or maybe even a variation of the ishbarites.
Merc
They're supposed to be either German or English. I mean, not that those countries exist in the FMA world, but that's what the creator based those character designs off of.

~Merc
Sonic-Teal
QUOTE(Merc @ Mar 27 2005, 02:57 PM)
They're supposed to be either German or English. I mean, not that those countries exist in the FMA world, but that's what the creator based those character designs off of.

~Merc
[snapback]140436[/snapback]

Agreed
Oinchinjey
I would agree on English instead
of German. Well to me they dont look like german.
Well it my opinion..
Elderberry
Witch-san, you're referring to Pannya, right? happy.gif

I agree that they're probably some sort of European race...rolleyes.gif

In the manga, there's a group of characters from "across the desert" who look very decidedly Asian. happy.gif
Kao
Must be some kind of race in their world. o_O We can't really call them German or English can we? Since Ishbalan isn't a race in our world.
Steel Alchemist
Human, Doy!!!
Kyo_Umerio
*nods* well i could kinda go either way... eithe English or German. because in the Manga there is Xing which is across a large dessert and the people of Zing do have a asain style of clothing and Masks. Also they were once in some what of a quarrel with the country above them. (may symbolize germany or anything like that) *doesn't know much history in that area happy.gif;;;;*
Oinchinjey
Yeah, i think FMA World has different race from our world, like Ishbar. In the anime, everything is written in english. I believe they are english ^^
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I vote European.

I guess you could say they are in bizzaro England/Germany. I vote England because........

[spoiler]
When Ed goes across the gate he winds up in London.[/spoiler]
Blade Alchemist
I say the people in Central are like Germans because of the Fuhrer (German for leader I think)
Ishbalans would be like people in the mideast.
cutewitch
[quote=Blade Alchemist,Mar 27 2005, 06:25 PM]
I say the people in Central are like Germans because of the Fuhrer (German for leader I think)

agree--Palestinian or Israelis then?

i am more prone to the former~~
Merc
Xing's supposed to represent China, Central is supposed to represent England, and the areas of Ishbal and Lior are supposed to represent the Middle East. The language of the series is set in English, so we're supposed to imagine that's the main international language.

[spoiler]Supposedly, when Hohenheim created the Philosopher's Stone, he used the bodies of those who had died from the Plague in what was supposed to be "London" (their world, not the other side). Since that's where Central's located, we're led to believe that the area is the AU version of England. [/spoiler]

~Merc
Kyo_Umerio
QUOTE(Blade Alchemist @ Mar 27 2005, 08:25 PM)
[snapback]140699[/snapback]

or if you give it a twist. you could consider the Ishbaran's as the Jews and the military as Nazi Germany. since the war was more of a massacre o.o
By-Tor
Definately Scandinavian. The long, golden locks say it all. Plus, their father is all about the Thule Society.
Kao
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Mar 27 2005, 06:35 PM)
I vote European.

I guess you could say they are in bizzaro England/Germany. I vote England because........

[spoiler]
[snapback]140656[/snapback]

Wasn't it..

[spoiler] Munich, Germany? [/spoiler]

I got to watch the episode again.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
QUOTE(Kao @ Mar 28 2005, 12:58 AM)
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Mar 27 2005, 06:35 PM)
I vote European.

[spoiler]
[snapback]140656[/snapback]

Wasn't it..

[spoiler] Munich, Germany? [/spoiler]

I got to watch the episode again.
[snapback]140961[/snapback]

[spoiler]When he went through the gate he ended up in London then I assume took the train to Germany since he had been there a while when they showed Ed and Hoinheim there. Also, when Envy asked where the gate went Ed told him London.[/spoiler]
Samireyez
I think they are Palestinian. The Ishbal architecture falls pretty close to arabic architecture. Thier method of bowing down is just like how muslims would bow down. Thier belief in one God which could be said for the Jews as well. But Muslims/ Ishbals believe that Black Magic is done with the help of the devil. When the Ishbals mentioned this in the cartoon I was pretty sure these people are meant to parallel palestinians/muslism.
telepika
They're German. Elric means king of elves or fairies in german. How do I know? I'm a freak and I typed in Ed's last name in this "What does your last name mean" site.
cutewitch
agree:) nice observation--i sensed something palestinian but just could not have any evidence--just feel that in the end when all of the ishbals are allocated a new place to live really parallels the news about the sovereignity of palestians~~

QUOTE(Samireyez @ Mar 28 2005, 12:31 PM)
I think they are Palestinian.  The Ishbal architecture falls pretty close to arabic architecture.  Thier method of bowing down is just like how muslims would bow down.  Thier belief in one God which could be said for the Jews as well. But Muslims/ Ishbals believe that Black Magic is done with the help of the devil.  When the Ishbals mentioned this in the cartoon I was pretty sure these people are meant to parallel palestinians/muslism.
[snapback]141163[/snapback]

utsukushii
My vote is for European. I don't know where Ed's extreme shortness would come from though... tongue.gif anyone have any thoughts on that?
cutewitch
my feeling is that this comes from japanese characteristics--they are worried about their height all the time and this will let the audience more idnetified with the characters~~ anyway, seldom see a white character in english animation complaining about the stature that MUCH!

QUOTE(utsukushii @ Mar 28 2005, 05:26 PM)
My vote is for European.  I don't know where Ed's extreme shortness would come from though... tongue.gif anyone have any thoughts on that?
[snapback]141324[/snapback]

Tobu Ishi
Ed's extreme shortness comes from being king of the fairies, obviously! XD

Frankly, I figure their race is Amestrian. The template for Amestris is obviously a mixture of various European cultures; however, FMA is a relatively international show, so there are characters of varied and mixed descents. I'd be willing to believe that Izumi and Mustang have some Xing ancestry back there somewhere, and we've been told that the citizens of Lior (living in a border area as they do) are the result of Amestrian and Ishbalite intermingling.
AA battery
Hohenheim = German =\ (i mean the real guy that studied Homunculus decades ago) so the Elrics should be German too...
Tobu Ishi
QUOTE(armor-alchemist @ Mar 31 2005, 03:57 PM)
Hohenheim = German =\ (i mean the real guy that studied Homunculus decades ago) so the Elrics should be German too...
[snapback]143745[/snapback]

*grins* By that standard, Roy's ancestors were horses. XP
-Kr!zY-
..i'd categorize the Elrics as European/German also.Their names kinda give it away, don't ya think?....
mongooseboi
i think they are Jews, (joke) i mean think about it, they live in Germany. ed is gonna be in so much trouble when hitler comes.
telepika
Hitler already commited suicide and WWII already ended by the time Ed came to Germany.
Chiyo
Yea, I would go with English. Not because I am myself biggrin.gif , but for the reasons other people have stated....mainly everything in their world is written in English.
telepika
That's a good point Chiyo... I guess they don't belong to any particular race in our world. They're Amestrian which has mostly English and German influences and that's all we can say.
n/a
Is Rose a Mexican? laugh.gif
«°~Envy™~°»
what does it matter what race he is lol
POTOPHREAK
Scar and the Ishbal People-- Symbolizes Middle East I think... The temple looks Muslim to me, and the skin colour.
Winry, Riza-- European no doubt
Roy and Izumi-- Black hair, black eyes of Asians... but their skin color is pale white. Maybe Izumi's skin colour is due to her lack of some organs? But Roy...
Xing-- Chinese no doubt. Why? I am Chinese and I can see the similarities of Xing and ancient Chinese, like the search of immortality, a lot of princes, and the panda of Mei Chan (though that panda's size is...) Besides, the word "Xing" sounds really Chinese.
Elrics-- I think they are european, since the paralel of Amestris is London/Germany.
[Shadow Alchemist]
QUOTE(cutewitch @ Mar 27 2005, 05:27 PM)
this just jumped in my mind 2 minutes ago--cause just remember that throughout the 51 episodes there was only (appear to me) one black gril (whose name i forgot but she was hurt by a train and was equipped with automail as well~~) just wanna know how do the fma fans think:)

anyway, still felt roy mustang more asian-looking ;*)
[snapback]140426[/snapback]

biggrin.gif Of course Roy Mustang looks asian, what would he be~ black? laugh.gif
Erm...I guess the Elric brothers would fall under :OMGZ~~!:...white. dry.gif Hah...what else would they be?

(Albino? ph34r.gif )
Orange_Clover
Well since it's not in our world we can't really classify them in any of our races, but I think that the Elric brothers are based off of English/German.

And [Shadow Alchemist], the cat video is really cute and funny biggrin.gif
Keos
They're Caucasian, obviously. I would say they are probably from England if they lived in this world (names are english).
meg08
I think their English
Alchemist Adiktus Alexuna
Not Palestian.... ph34r.gif

Its english ... look at the drawings... smile.gif Nothing else
Lyndsie_Elric
Caucasian...? o.O
the whole show represents humanity's evil and the state represents the nazi regime so i'd say german blond hair blue eyes
~*~Exotic Latina~*~
I'm pretty sure they are German along with all the other characters except the color ones.But I hope Rose Is Mexican,tho I doubt it.
Mikage_Elric
I think Ed and Al are English because some of you are right.
Popogeejo
Elrics seem German,Acroya seems English/Venice.Roy and Marcho definatly has the Asain thing going on.The rest of the military (except for a few I'll metion later) seem Anglo American.

Basque Gran,Scar and Rose all have a simiar skin tone which I've never seen in any real world people.No-one that redy-brown ovaltine colour.Same for the Ishbalan Red eyes/iris'.

Xenotime has an East European vibe.Posibly Latvian or more north and Swedish.
Ankari
QUOTE(Envy's lil' miniskirt @ Mar 27 2005, 06:20 PM) [snapback]140656[/snapback]

I vote European.

[spoiler]

o__o no it wasent.

[spoiler] He was in germany. Hence the zepplins and how in 51 he goes to germany again, for his father is there.[/spoiler]

I think Europea---

AMETRISIAN. >O -shot-
Melydragon
Mmm, well, they seem more German than anything to me. I mean, Germans are mostly white and blue-eyed. Of course, Winry and Armstrong are the only ones with those characteristics but still I can´t help thinking that Al and Ed are also German.

In the other hand, Roy and Izumi seem more like Japanese to me. For the Black hair, dark eyes, and pale skin.

I think they are all Americans since we have of everything here!
The Great Asparagus
well since this is in a different world than ours, they would really have the same races right? so at first i was going to go with caucasian, but you see, ed has pretty gold eyes. so i say not an existing race, in our world, that is.
Colette
QUOTE(Merc @ Mar 27 2005, 03:42 PM) [snapback]140436[/snapback]

~Merc

I agree.
Automne
No existing race.

They took french names for the brothers though but I guess this is not important.
Popogeejo
QUOTE(Summoner Colette @ Mar 3 2006, 02:19 AM) [snapback]357444[/snapback]

QUOTE(Merc @ Mar 27 2005, 03:42 PM) [snapback]140436[/snapback]

~Merc

I agree.

Seconded.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.