Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 19 Discussion
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2
TheVileOne
Hey, tonight is episode 19 of Fullmetal Alchemist. To bring you up to speed, last week Edward and Alphone were able to decipher Marcoh's notes and research on the Philosopher's Stone. It revealed the key ingredient and why the stone is able to do what it apparently does, that being "ignoring" the laws of alchemy and transmutation. Its not really ignoring any laws though really because the key ingredient is LIVE HUMAN BEINGS. What does this do to Ed and Al's search for the thing that will supposedly make them whole again? Have to watch this episode to find out wink.gif .

Things are moving toward the eventual end, remember that.

Sorry about the topic title guys, this is EPISODE 19, not 18.
AlphonseRules
First things first, there seem to be a lot of spoilers that could be told to answer things that happened in this episode. PLEASE, if you must post a spoiler be sure to use one of those special spoiler boxes.

Anyways, I thought that this episode was alright. I really like when Ed kept settinhg off all of the traps in the lab, LOL laugh.gif . I thought the episode jumped around a little too much which made it go by a little quick. I definitly look forward to Al battling #66 next week....sweet.
TheVileOne
So...notice anything about #66 AlphonseRules? wink.gif
vazel
hehe, ed was happy to be small. at least for a while.
tempest_Strife
I love how fast Hughes goes from gloating over his daughter to buisiness mode.

"Swimsuit edition! With her mother's straw hat!"
Stained_Wings
hehe. Ed is finally appreciating his shortness, even if just for a little bit tongue.gif. i liked when Ed kept setting off the traps and stuff, and I can't wait for Al's battle with #66. though, i didn't like #66's voice too much; it sounds too young, i thought it would be rougher and deeper. and i felt sort of bad for Al when Ed blew up at him and smashed the cup in his face. i expected Ed to do a little more than a quick "Sorry, Al."

this whole episode went by so fast! one minute Ed and Al are moping in their room and the next Ed's setting off traps, and before you know it the credits are rolling.

can't wait till next week! *goes off to watch episode again*
Spectacal
Let me complain about this for one second:
Envy's voice. *is shot*

w00t! Good episode, but I agree, it went really fast XD!
Poor Ed...he had to admit that he's small...
Steel Alchemist
The thory about the prison seemed reasonable. Using condemned convicts as ingrediants to the philosephors stone.
~FMAgurl~
I'm wondering, how can Scar dodge like 20 bullets??! He was been fired at so many times!!! Even when he jumped out of the window he still didn't get shot! People in the military have horrible aim dry.gif
Well anyways it was hilarious when Hughes kept bragging about his daughter, and then went back to being serious in like 2 seconds laugh.gif
I can't wait to see the fight between Ed and #48(<i think? not sure)
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Mar 20 2005, 12:55 AM)
[snapback]136457[/snapback]

I could swear that sounds like Barry the Chopper xD But that's just me. *wonders if she could possibley be right*
Hilde Knight
This is one of those special episodes that have a nice balance of drama, action, and humor. These episodes generally end up pretty high on my favorites lists.

One of the things that stand out in this episode that stand out for me though (aside from Hughes and every other bit of humor) was the fact that we finally see Ed and Al admit that the bodies they are trying to get rid of do have plenty of advantages.
KawaiiRose
This is one of my favorite episodes so far. Lots of humor and action. And Scar... is he just really fast and good at dodging bullets? I found that rather impressive. xD

One last thing: Envy's voice. O_O I could've sworn Envy was supposed to be a guy. Or is he and he just has a sexy girl voice? xD
i thought this was episode 19 unsure.gif
Spectacal
QUOTE(KawaiiRose @ Mar 20 2005, 01:25 PM)
One last thing: Envy's voice. O_O I could've sworn Envy was supposed to be a guy. Or is he and he just has a sexy girl voice? xD
[snapback]136558[/snapback]

Envy's a guy.
Except now there's gonna be a bunch of people in America thinking he's a very muscular girl with a skirt and lovely palmtree hair.
...Oh well XD
Panzer Dragoon
Heh, yeah. Finally, after many years, Ed appreciates his height. Ok, only for a few seconds. Like everybody else, I liked Ed's adventure though the vent and hallway. I just can't help crying when Al got hit by the cup. It was sad.

Here's your weekly pictures. There's millions of them including a picture of Hugh's little girl. Enjoy! ^w^
KawaiiRose
QUOTE(Spectacal @ Mar 20 2005, 12:30 PM)
Envy's a guy.
Except now there's gonna be a bunch of people in America thinking he's a very muscular girl with a skirt and lovely palmtree hair.
...Oh well XD
[snapback]136560[/snapback]

Thats what I thought. But I like his hair...it's kinda cool. xD
darkangelslayer
I thought the episode was really short for some reason. I was watching it and then all of sudden 'Tobira no Mukou he' comes on, I'm like "What?! It's over already?"
I was mad, not a really good one.
Toby-Chan
Seeing that scene of Envy again reminded me how cute that smile of his is. o.o It's odd. He's a murderous, vicious, vengeful S.O.B, but he... looks... soo... cute?
I want a screencap of that smile.
His english voice is okay, but it's not really... masculine or sexy anymore. He sounds a little too... slinky. That's how Lust sounds in english too. It fits her sin trait and all, but it's a little too quiet and seductive. She does have a seductive voice in the original, but it was also a very commanding, powerful voice. Whatev.

Um... oh yeah. You got to see, like 3 seconds of Greed's face in this episode. (Squeal) GREED SAMAAAAA!
*~Oashisu*~
Awesome episode.
Envy's voice does sound, er, not like I really would have expected it. If I hadn't known better I WOULD have said he was a girl. And when he transforms to an Ed-look-alike.. That was awesome! biggrin.gif
XD Poor Ed, everyone just wants to kill him it seems! And his shortness, he should be very happy! He would have been squished if he was a bit taller!
It seemed really short!
blink.gif When the credits came, I was like "NOOO! WTF?!"
checkmate_alchemist
Here are my 2 complaints for this episode: Envy has a weird voice now, I think it will take alot of getting use to. i also missed Greed due to reading the end of a manga I had gotten that day, oh well, I suppose I'll see him/her again later. Anyway the episode was pretty funny. Ed, for about 5 seconds realized how useful his body is and it is true. He is attempting to get rid of a useful body.
The Thunder Alchemist
Hmmm... I wonder who created the gaurdains, especially since Mustang said Ed was the only one who could bind a soul to metal.

(P.S. could someone tell me how to make spoiler boxes, cause I don't know how. Also, if a post a spoiler plz tell me, because I really don't know what makes info about the show a spoiler or not. Thanks.)
Dreakon
Excellent episode, as usual. I have yet to see a FMA episode I havent liked. Such a great anime...

I noticed too, it feels like the episodes are getting shorter and shorter, while obviously they actually arent. It's probably just because I am enjoying it too much to recognize how long I've been watching it. biggrin.gif
checkmate_alchemist
Oh I forgot to say something. I understand how Hughes got promoted, he really knows how to motivate people laugh.gif Yes, the episodes are seeming to get shorter, I know they are staying the same length but I wish the episode would not fly by like that sad.gif
Envy sounded the same to me, but the fact he's voiced by a girl who sounds much like the lady seiyuu who voiced Envy(As well as Gabumon & Henry-Wong from "Digimon") is pretty good.

But good old #66 is SO cool in his new look, the skull-face.
Falling_Man
Not bad, but I thought it was short.

One thing I gotta point out. When Ed hit that last panel for the boulder, I was wondering: Is he freaked out because it's a giant boulder or because it's 3D? laugh.gif

What's with the Greed cameo?

Envy's voice is... weird. I remember someone saying he doesn't really know what gender he is.

Ed and Al got to appreciate their forms this episode. Ed more so... I thought is was funny how he wiggled in frustration in the duct. Not to mention the arrow pointing him out in that corner.

Did Scar take Marcoh's notes or destroy them? I suppose he could read them using his arm because it's attached, but how the heck does that work? Why didn't he go on another head-popping spree with those soldiers?
TheVileOne
How can it be short? Almost every episode of FMA is the exact same length, 20 minutes, 25 seconds. Only episodes 25 and 51 are longer, but that's because there are no ending animations.
Dreakon
I dont think anyone believes they are shorter, it just feels like it. wink.gif
Kao
Special Affects were awesome, I think the arrow pointing to Ed made me crack up, and when Al was dissapointed about his big body. xD
AlphonseRules
Yes VileOne I noticed. SSSSHHHHH! he he he wink.gif
QUOTE(The Thunder Alchemist @ Mar 20 2005, 07:25 PM)
Hmmm... I wonder who created the gaurdains, especially since Mustang said Ed was the only one who could bind a soul to metal.

(P.S. could someone tell me how to make spoiler boxes, cause I don't know how. Also, if a post a spoiler plz tell me, because I really don't know what makes info about the show a spoiler or not. Thanks.)
[snapback]136737[/snapback]

A spoiler is anything that contains information on something that has not happened yet or has not finished happening in the current episodes on Adult Swim. That would also include anything from the manga that would ruin the story line for first time viewers. If you are unsure if what you are going to type is a spoiler please either don't type it or put it in a spoiler box. First type spoiler= in brackets which these [] . After that put your spoiler text. Then put /spoiler in these [] .
TheToe Alchemist
Good ep. It seemed way to short lol but thats cuz my world stops whin FMA comes on.
Good mix of action and drama.
To add something about the ep. ..did anyone see that the sole attatchment on the ninja looked like it was drawn on with blood just like Al's...dont know if it was but it sure did look like it.
Cant wait to see the rest of the fight..both of them.
Krauser
I can't believe that the military would be allowed to use prisoners to make a philosiphers stone. I also womder how the to guards of lab 5 came to be. Al was the result of Ed transmuting his soul to the armor but how would you do that without losing a part of you body. That also leads me to ask howou would take a soul from the body. Ed was ablr to do it because Al's body was gone but how would you remove the soul from a body. And what was Scar doing when he went after Ed. The guy is insane.
Falling_Man
^Well, what do you expect, they're the military. Almost any organization like that will do crazy stuff.

Soul attachments aren't too hard. This could be a spoiler...

[spoiler]Using Al as an example, Ed sacrificed his right arm to do it. A better example is what Majhal did with those girls and those dolls. He used the girls' body as the exchange material to attach their soul to the doll. Now tell me, what do you think was used to attach the guards souls to the armor?[/spoiler]
Kirara
Well the military runs the country so they can pretty much do what they please.

I was very excited to see two of my favorite villians in this episode. My favorite part was the beginning (I love the angst)

Finally I am not digging Envy or Number 48's voice but it could be worse. Most of the voices are great.
CursedAnubis
QUOTE(Guest @ Mar 20 2005, 08:46 AM)
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Mar 20 2005, 12:55 AM)
[snapback]136457[/snapback]

I could swear that sounds like Barry the Chopper xD But that's just me. *wonders if she could possibley be right*
[snapback]136546[/snapback]

Considering that he wants to peel skin and drain marrow, I think it's a fairly likely chance that they did indeed use Barry for a soul attachment. And also, Falling_Man, I don't think Majahal used the girl's bodies for the attachments, or Klaus wouldn't have been able to find her sister's body on the floor. I wasn't really suprised that the military was doing this kind of stuff; that section was under Gran's supervision.
I enjoyed this episode...it was serious and funny at the same time. I've seen the original Japanese series, and the original version of this episode was much more funny during the time when Ed got caught in all those traps and he was saying he was thankful he was small/not normal-sized. But the English version made it funny as well...the dialogue in the Japanese version was just more funny in my opinion. I really like Number 48's voice...to me it sounded so much like the original Japanese voice. However Envy's voice just scares me...way too high pitch...I thought it was high pitch in the Japanese version but it's even worse in English.
The episode seemed to pass by really fast...I get too into the show that time goes by way too quickly.
Kinbari-chan
Opps...the guest above was me...I didn't notice that I wasn't signed in. Sorry happy.gif
AlphonseRules
Hughes continued to show his evil side in this episode. That poor librarian was working her tail off trying to get those papers done, and Hughes has to make her suffer even more by subjecting her to the horrifying torture that is his obsession with his daughter. biggrin.gif
HYDROGEN ALCHEMIST
Like all good things in life-...
this episode of FMA was just too short!

Good, but short.

Really appreciated Maria Ross's words to Ed(and Al),... though I thought Ed might SNAP!!.. and.. and grab her.. and.. !
He really needed to hear what she had to say to him, right then and there. He was just SO despondent and depressed... he might've given up hope-... if she hadn't reminded him... about a few, certain things..... GO MARIA ! !

[SPOILER]AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OH,NO..NO..NO..NO!..!@#$%!!
I just opened a new window and went to another FMAsite that had episode spoilers and... I think-... I JUST SAW SLOTH SHOOT BOTH MARIA ROSS AND MAES HUGHES!! Can anyone validate this, without giving it away for the new people?!! Man, I am SO pissed-off,... BUT I HOPE I'M WRONG![/SPOILER]

Few other things:

When Al got hit,.. by that cup Ed flung at 'im....MAN that was sad.

Quite a few people seemed to have noticed- What's the deal with SCAR and any incoming ballistics? Nothing TAGS him! I think it's time for a little ONE - ON - ONE with RIZA HAWKEYE! tongue.gif

Question: When Ed had had enough with all the hidden traps in LAB#5, and he transmuted the entire hallway,... just what, exactly, did he do? Alchemically fuse all the infra-structure booby-trap machinery together, behind the walls?
Just curious- of anyone else's take on it.
Stained_Wings
@ Hydrogen Alchemist
[spoiler] i haven't seen the whole series, but i don't think that happens. hughes gets killed by lust in episode 26. as for ross, i've no idea.[/spoiler]
i don't think you'll find much help here, try going to the regular FMA anime forum, since this section is specifically spoiler-free (i gave into temptation and read the spoiler, but i'll more than likely forget about it quickly)
Hagane no Renzy
[spoiler]Actually, Envy was the one who killed Hughes in episode 25. ross doesn't die in the series.[/spoiler]
HYDROGEN ALCHEMIST
Thanks Hagane no Renzy and Stained_Wings- for the heads' up!

I don't mind peeking ahead, of the current episode-
just have to be a bit more carefull.sad.gif
Son Goshin
aw man, i shouldn't have read that spoier, now i'm sad. sad.gif but as for the episode, it was exellent. i'd really like to know who these two guys are and why they're still guarding the place. something's telling me that these guys might be a lot like al...
Kao
Isn't this suppose to be Episode 19? xD I thought Maria Ross acted as a mother to the both of them.

'Nuff Said.
sailorv
There were a couple of things I really liked in this episode:

- Winrey's "OOPS"
- The whole Raiders of the Lost Ark scene - "I'm getting excited" voice work and of course the arrow pointing at Ed
- As I watched Ed and Al sneak out to check out Lab 5, I was actually talking to the TV "no - don't go!", but their timing accidently foiled Scar's attack on them this week. *Whew*

Can ya tell I'm hooked?
What was going on when Scar was in Al and Ed's room and he turned all of the books into a glowing sphere? Did that just solve the code for him or something? Kind of wierd I thought.
Kao
There was another thing i noticed, did anyone see how Scar dodged all those bullets? 0ut of the whole military not one bullet barely scratched him. o_O
TheVileOne
The soldiers obviously went to the school of Cobra on how to randomly shoot and always miss your targets.
I thought they were the ancestors of the Star Wars Stormtroopers? laugh.gif
sailorv
"What was going on when Scar was in Al and Ed's room and he turned all of the books into a glowing sphere? Did that just solve the code for him or something? Kind of wierd I thought. "
-------------------------------

I got the impression that Scar already knew about the secret to the Philosopher's stone. Didn't he say something like, "So now you know, Ed"?

Scar has an interesting power to be able to lift the words right off the page - we ran it back a few times and the papers looked blank after Scar did his magic words-in-the-sphere thing. He's kinda scary powerful, but I get the feeling he's not the enemy. [OK - he's going around killing alchemists, so he's certainly an enemy in that sense...but it seems that there's a lot more to his story.]
QUOTE(sailorv @ Apr 1 2005, 09:34 AM)
"What was going on when Scar was in Al and Ed's room and he turned all of the books into a glowing sphere? Did that just solve the code for him or something? Kind of wierd I thought. "
-------------------------------

I got the impression that Scar already knew about the secret to the Philosopher's stone. Didn't he say something like, "So now you know, Ed"?

Scar has an interesting power to be able to lift the words right off the page - we ran it back a few times and the papers looked blank after Scar did his magic words-in-the-sphere thing. He's kinda scary powerful, but I get the feeling he's not the enemy. [OK - he's going around killing alchemists, so he's certainly an enemy in that sense...but it seems that there's a lot more to his story.]
[snapback]144347[/snapback]

interesting thought Sailorv. Why do you think that? (might want to put it under spoiler just in case people don't want to read it) But I am curious.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.