Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Musicals
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Music
Pages: 1, 2
Chiyo
Just to start this topic has come out of the fact I am currently listening to the musical version of War of the Worlds.

Does anybody go to watch musicals or do you listen to the music? It's something I have done for many years now. Cats was the first musical I saw as a child and I fell in love with the genre.

Although I don't get to see many shows I do listen to the music when I can and have watched most film versions of musicals (Phantom of the Opera being the most recent). I can guess it may only be a select group who share this passion, but I hope there is at least a few people out there.
Kinbari-chan
I love musicals! When I was in high school I would always go the musical put on every year by our drama club. The ones I got to see were "Damn Yankees", "Les Miserables", and "Big". Les Miz is by far my favorite musical. I want to see a professional version of it. The music is so awesome from it! I also have seen professional onstage productions of "The Sound of Music" and "West Side Story". I must say, musicals are awesome...they are better then regular plays. :-)
Quistis88
I haven't seen very many musicals, but the ones I have seen I quite enjoyed. smile.gif My favorite is "Westside Story." laugh.gif
Elderberry
Ah, I remember having a huge obsession with the musical Cats when I saw the video in 4th grade-ish (I did get a chance to see the actual musical in NYC once, too, although I like the video version better happy.gif), and I still love almost all the songs...

The Sound of Music is lovely too, although I don't think I've ever actually finished watching the entire video...I always get stuck somewhere around the section where Maria decides to go back to the convent...rolleyes.gif

My school (and the middle school I no longer attend) has a musical every year...they had 'Brigadoon' when I was in 7th grade, and 'The Wizard of Oz' in 8th grade...last year they did '42nd Street' and the musical this year is 'Grease'...I'm being pressured by a bus-friend who's in the Drama Club to attend the performance...I'm trying to see what days other people are going so I can decide when...rolleyes.gif
edsgirl
I love musicals! I've seen so many over the years. Like Cats, The Westside Story, Fiddler on the Roof, Chicago, Rent, Oklahoma, The Phantom of the Opera, and many others.
Chiyo
Ah Fiddler on the Roof is a great musical, I want to go see Chicago.
LoMXD
I liked Fiddler on The house top but I really didn't like Cats. West Side Stories was okay. My friends madde a comment about Roy Mustang being in the begining. I really liked it though. al te conflict and such
Black Rose
I love musicals!!!! Phantom of the Opera is my fav!!
Prinz_Zoisit
The Phantom of the Opera caused me to "hate" the "Toccata and Fuag in D-minor" from Bach........
Elderberry
Ah Fiddler on the Roof is a great musical, I want to go see Chicago.
Ah! 'Fiddler on the Roof' was awsome, too! That matchmaker always made me crack up...tongue.gif
Slashrose1010
I have seen the musical, Fiddler on the Roof, on DVD >_< It was good. I thought some of the songs were pretty funny XD I like the song, "If I Were Rich Man." Tevya or however you spell it is hilarious in that song tongue.gif
xrninja
i generally dislike musicals and anything theatre. i've watched les miserables on broadway before, but i was too young to understand what they were talking/singing about. i'd like to see phantom of the opera, though, because i love the music. biggrin.gif
mei_tenshi
Musicals are fun, partly because mei's cousins (theater enthusiasts) have made it into a family thing. She hasn't seen many (just Lion King, Les Miserables, and Phantom of the Opera) but she enjoyed them. (Though Phantom seemed to drag a bit after intermission.)
edsgirl
It always does! happy.gif That was my thought exactly the last time I saw it!
DonnaDelDrago
I like Musicals very much!
Last week I was in Vienna where I saw "Elisabeth". I love it!
Chiyo
Anyone heard that new Gewn Stafani song 'Rich Girl'? Hmm, wonder why it sounds familiar dry.gif
Kitoky
I'm a big fan of musicals! Good musicals, atleast. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly! If you know what I mean.

Phantom of the Opera is by far my favorite, both in film and in play version. Mind you the film was okay due to the phantom's singing.

I've seen play versions of Cats, Jekyll and Hyde (yes this is a musical), Oklahoma, The Music Man (movie is pathetic by the way), The Gospel, etc.
operaghost
I love musicals! My favs are Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables and Little Shop of Horrors. Hehe, my favorite movie of all time is *drumroll*.....Phantom of the Opera.
Chiyo
It has done so well over the years, no wonder so many people are fans.

Jekyll and Hyde? Next you'll be telling me they made Jerry Springer an opera *chortle*.
Alchemy's Lover
I just saw Into the Woods for the first time.
stella_mustang
I love musicals!
They are like my favourite genre of films and I really love the stage as well
I would love to do shows as a career but don't think I'm good enough
I mean people who do musicals are absolutely amazing
Anyway
I think my favourite will have to be 'My Fair Lady' (because of Audrey Hepburn in the film) but I love all the others as well
Felidae
QUOTE(DonnaDelDrago @ Mar 18 2005, 08:01 PM)
I like Musicals very much!
Last week I was in Vienna where I saw "Elisabeth". I love it!
[snapback]135616[/snapback]

You were in Vienna? Might I ask where in Europe you live? =]

The only musical I've seen is Jekyll and Hyde... around two years ago. 't was pretty good. I think I would enjoy seeing musicals more often, but I live in a pretty small town, and I've never heard of any musicals being performed here.
lizzyangel
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Mar 18 2005, 06:50 PM)
Anyone heard that new Gewn Stafani song 'Rich Girl'? Hmm, wonder why it sounds familiar dry.gif
[snapback]135775[/snapback]

well, gwen took it from some reggae version of 'rich man'. its kinda recycled. over. and over. and...
Chiyo
Why couldn't they have just left it in 'Fiddler on the Roof'.
DonnaDelDrago
QUOTE(Felidae @ Apr 22 2005, 12:05 PM)
You were in Vienna? Might I ask where in Europe you live? =]

The only musical I've seen is Jekyll and Hyde... around two years ago.  't was pretty good. I think I would enjoy seeing musicals more often, but I live in a pretty small town, and I've never heard of any musicals being performed here.
[snapback]158401[/snapback]

I live in Austria. But I live in the west and I hardly ever get the chance to see musicals here (except for West Side Story - performed two years ago in Bregenz).
You are Austrian too, am I right?
WhiteMike
I love musicals. My favs are Les Mis, Miss Saigon (hope i spelled that right), Phantom (musical, not movie), and others
empty
(Heh, I seem to be unintentionally following ya, WhiteMike. Weird blink.gif )

I love musicals, but I haven't had much of a chance to see a lot of them. I've seen Les Mis twice, though, and Jesus Christ Super Star, the Music Man, Kiss Me Kate, Fiddler on the Roof, I think thats it. I'd love to see RENT, but all I've ever seen have been school productions, and I doubt my school would ever do RENT sad.gif
WhiteMike
how could I forget rent? rents awsome, gotta love lesbians
empty
Yes, and gay guys biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, and the music is great too! heheh. Seriously though, I love it. Used to have a lot of it downloaded. Plan on buying the CD soon, and would kill to see it on stage.
CreamSoda
Out of the few I've seen, Into The Woods is my favorite. I loved it!
Slashrose1010
I have seen Moulin Rouge a few times =D and some of West Side Story and about half of Fiddler on the Roof. I think they are OK, of course depending entirely on the music and plot of the story. I am a firm believer in ChristianxSatine ^^
Elderberry
I heard a few mp3s from the Tenipuri Musical the other day...now I really want to see it...The song lyrics seem a little cheesy sometimes, but it's an anime converted into a live-action musical...what can I say...tongue.gif (Ryuuko-san is planning on buying the DVD when she goes to Japan over the summer...maybe I can watch it at her house...biggrin.gif)
jenn
I really like Fiddler on the Roof and Westside Story. The Music Man is my personel favorite because that was my 7th grade play ... good times ... biggrin.gif
DustStorm
My favorite musicals are: West Side Story, Les Miserables, Chicago, and Cats. :3
Hugh the Hit Man
The greatest musical of all time is Les Miserables hands down. There are other good ones like Phantom of the Opera, Into the Woods, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, Wicked, and various others.
Chiyo
Because it cane be classed as a musical easily, I'm going to go with the Nightmare Before Christmas being my number one, Phantom two, Cats three and The Happiness of the Katakuri's fourth.

Although Starlight Express is good as a show, wouldn't be a good film.
Le Monkey
QUOTE(Hugh the Hit Man @ Nov 6 2006, 05:48 PM) [snapback]470586[/snapback]
The greatest musical of all time is Les Miserables hands down. There are other good ones like Phantom of the Opera, Into the Woods, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, Wicked, and various others.

Thank you for reviving a long dead toppic, then listing musicals..
wow such a contribution!
The New Fullmetal Alchemist
Hello all RENT-heads!! Thought we needed a place to gather, what says you? ^^

So... who here likes RENT? (hopefully everyone that's on here...)

Does it have any important meaning for you, was it an eye-opener, or anything like that?

(Conversation starters ^)
Kal Rommel
New-sama! You finally opened the thread! xDD

I dunno...it made me cry, so obviously I found some deep hidden meaning hiding in "Today 4 U"

And of course, "La Vi Boheme" held some significance that lacks wording at this precise moment....

Rambling now...
I love RENT. Plain and simple ^^
Vash_the_Gunslinger
I have heard of it. Apparently, it is very good. I hope I could see it sometime.
I hope that you get to see it, too! ^^ It's quite good! Definitely worth the $4 to rent it at Blockbuster or wherever...

Let us know if you have any questions about it!
Kal Rommel
I loved it...but the day I watched it at first, I got sick...so it played through and I missed it...then I was passed out in the chair with it on the menu automatically repeating "Seasons of Love" ...that made me so sick.
I love the song, but not when you're listening to it when your head is pounding and all you want to do is sleep @_@
Vash_the_Gunslinger
QUOTE(The New Fullmetal Alchemist @ Jan 24 2007, 05:48 PM) [snapback]497098[/snapback]
I hope that you get to see it, too! ^^ It's quite good! Definitely worth the $4 to rent it at Blockbuster or wherever...

Let us know if you have any questions about it!

Thanks, and yes, I have a question(s). How long is it on average? Are the actors "over the top" in it? Is the music good? I ask these because I can't really watch a play or musical for too long, actors "over the top" are not really too entertaining, and I worry that the comedy in the play would tune down the music.
Kal Rommel
The actors are representing stereotypes, really...so I guess they're exaggerated a bit...

The music is lively, and I feel like the scenes and action they use with it ties into the movie really well...

There are a lot of undertones there too...
But in general, the music is fun to listen to. (I'm thinking of High School Musical and can't keep my thoughts straight @_@ )
Vash_the_Gunslinger
I'll give it a try and will see if I like it. I'll probably be able to watch it sometime this weekend. Also, thanks for the informative and quick reply.
Kal Rommel
You're welcome ^^;
I'm just glad I can be useful for something.
(It was mainly because I had time to kill this morning oO;...)
Vash_the_Gunslinger
My local blockbuster has it rented out, but it should be returned by Saturday. I should get it then.
Kal Rommel
Awesome! I hope you enjoy it! I know I do. ^^
Yaaay! You'll like it!

OH! And another thing, friend Vash_the_Gunslinger - almost all of the actors in the movie were cast members of the original Broadway production, or part of the cast at some point (for the characters that they play)... So yeah, I guess a bit "over-the-top," but then again, they're stage actors - you *have* to be! smile.gif

A cool little fact about the RENT movie that makes it oh-so-much-more special! ^^

I hope you're not homophobic, though...
Ailuro
Merged the Musicals and Rent threads and moved to Open Chat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.