Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Death Note
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > General Manga > Let's discuss your fav manga series here!
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
BlueRakuen
Anyone else reading Death Note? This manga is shoooo good!!
It's one of my favorite manga at the moment, along with Tsubasa:Reservoir Chronicle, there isn't much "action scenes", it's mostly about how Raito and L uses their oversized brains which makes the whole thing very intense, though Raito is getting annoying with his "I'm smart, handsome, rich and I'll rule the world" attitude.. I prefer L XD he's so cute =3

For those who doesn't know about it: the story is about Raito, a guy who finds the Death Note. The Death Note is some kind of note book that if u write down the name of a person in it, that person will die. Sooo Raito has this wonderfull idea of killing off all the criminals so that he can create a perfect world in which he'd be a god. Isn't that nice? Of course, the police can't let someone kill all those ppl, even if they are criminals, so they ask the famous detective known as "L" for help....

(Source: MangaFox)

Years of Released: 2004
Authors: Ohba Tsugumi, Asami Yuuko
Artist: Obata Takeshi
Genre: Action, Drama, Fantasy, Horror, Mystery, Psychological, Shounen, Supernatural, Tragedy

Summary:
An overachieving 12th grader, Yagami Light is an aspiring young man who seems destined for success. Unfortunately, his daily habits bore his incredible intelligence--So when a strange black notebook falls from the heavens during his class, it isn't long before he takes it for himself. In his room, he finds, to his horror/fascination, that the Death Note is real, and owned by Ryuk, a Shinigami (Death God).
Any person's name written in the Death Note will die in 40 seconds as long as the person's name is not the same as some one else. But if the name is unique, the person will die.... without fail.
With this supposed gift of God, Light swears upon his grave that he will 'cleanse' the world of the evil and needless people that inhabit it, thus creating a utopia for all. With the world's greatest detective, L, hot on his tail, will Light's ideals prove too fantastic to realize, or will he succeed bringing justice?

Thievesvinegar
hmm, i'll check it out.

Sounds interesting, thanks.

How often does the manga come out?
BlueRakuen
QUOTE(Thievesvinegar @ Aug 9 2004, 01:06 AM)
How often does the manga come out?

There's a new chapter about each week... can be late sometimes though wink.gif
Thievesvinegar
i finished it yesterday, it is damn good. The girl who has the other death note is pissing me off tho, but she will be a good tool for him.

Yea, L is a new fetish for me too. tongue.gif
Rinslet
Love it !!!

looking for Black Cat 123 found it, im a Hikaru no Go fan so if it was Obata-sensei working on it, i had to download it!!! liked so much !!! creepy and good wink.gif
Omakase Shimasu
You know, the storyline reminds me of that of the Ring. Don't know why, though. blink.gif

ETA:
Heeeey~ I've finally gotten down to actually reading Death Note and what else can I say except for: XD This manga ROX! Seriously, it's a wonderful story full of suspense, thriller-ish themes, dry humor and best of all it makes me 'think'. Jeez, these guys Yagami and L are waaaay to smart for their age. The characters are cool cool.gif Death eating apples... never would have thought! XD

And I love love love L to death~ wink.gif

Well... I'm going back to reading the rest~ Guess you guys won't be hearing from me for the rest of... the day... T_T These chapters are way to friggin' short.

ETA 2:
Finished it (as far as it went) and Thievesvinegar I agree with you. Wholeheartedly. And... this doesn't bode well for L. At all.
BlueRakuen
I just love the way L sits XD ...had to say it...
Omakase Shimasu
Aaaaw, me too! Me too! laugh.gif Reminds me of my brother, he's prone to sitting like that as well!

Hmmm, he also reminds me of a cute lil' monkey. How he holds his pen, teacup and papers. So adorable~ And the way he nibbles on his thumb~ *slaps self* Beh... 'm back.

You know, I had a whole different view of him at the beginning when you couldn't see his face. But I guess everybody who's read the manga says that, huh? biggrin.gif Yeah, he looked... older. And if I didn't know better he could've been Ken's (Weiss Kreuz Gluhen) twin brother. Though much cuter! happy.gif

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry, lil' typo there.
BlueRakuen
When they entered the room and saw him for the first time... with his puppy eyes and scratching him foot "I'm L" Kyaaaaa!! *hugs him* <3

Any idea how old L is? He should be around the same age as Raito since they're in the same school but when he was talking about the paper trap thingy... he said that he used to do that when he was 17... unsure.gif
Omakase Shimasu
When they entered the room and saw him for the first time... with his puppy eyes and scratching him foot "I'm L" Kyaaaaa!! *hugs him* <3

I soooo didn't expect that! Nice, very nice surprise though! wink.gif

Hm-hm-hm-hm, I was wondering the same thing - about his age. I thought, "wtf you look 5 years younger than Raito, boy." At the beginning... now that's a different story. He looked to be 20-ish, maybe 19. But you know, maybe because he looks so young he could pass for a 17-year old no prob. He had falsified his name, so it wouldn't be impossible.

Hmmm, he's a true genius to have gotten a title and fame like that. And I wonder where/who his parents are. His background is a mystery. I want to know the stuff behind the mystery!

On a side-note: didn't Raito look deliciously evil at the very end? XD Raito, you're a beast!
Thievesvinegar
QUOTE(BlueRakuen @ Aug 10 2004, 01:56 AM)

Any idea how old L is? He should be around the same age as Raito since they're in the same school but when he was talking about the paper trap thingy... he said that he used to do that when he was 17... unsure.gif

Isn't he in his twenties, cause when he was telling the police to erase all their pictures, he gave an example of even how he doesn't even have his college ID out, meaning that he already graduated?

yes, his introduction is awsome. I am curious about his past tho, and who he is. Is there something more about him that meets the eye?

I think L taking the test and being in the same school is a facade, an advantage for L to learn more about R.

The tennis game was hot.
Omakase Shimasu
The tennis game was hot.

Wasn't it just? I wouldn't have minded a rematch. L would have surely won second round, cuz' you know - they're both sore losers afterall. wink.gif Losing twice just isn't an option.

Hmmm, I still can't figure out how you guys manage to put the name and date of the person's quote above the quote box. tongue.gif;; Yeah, I'm dense when it comes to stuff like this.
Thievesvinegar
Somehow i think L let him win to set the stage, b/c afterwards he said something along the lines of because i lost, i'll follow you around. It would'eve been different if he won.
Omakase Shimasu
Hmm, guess you have a point there. Me's a bit ignorant again. tongue.gif
Thievesvinegar
Question. Why does L gets so freaked out when the message sent by the second kira talked about gods of death?
Thievesvinegar
Another note. Notice the majority of the deaths int eh beginning are AMERICAN felons. Whats that all about.
Kaitou-dark
omg the kiras meet. L's a goner now
chloe
wow, i'm so happy to see a Death Note thread in this forum! because currently the two anime/manga i am totally obsessed with is Death Note and, of course, FMA.

Misa is cool at the beginning, before she reveals herself. She was smart and cool back then, but she has turned into the annoying kind of female character *sigh*

And Raito... RAITO!! I just love him to death!! he is soo hot, sooo smart, and best of all, sooo evil (and also hot)! i wouldn't mind getting killed by him~! but i like Chapter 1 Raito best. he was cute and younger, and his eyes... ooooOOoo... so innocent and cute~

L is cool, he's cute but he freaks me out sometimes, with the big round eyes and all. Best of all, you'd never know what he is actually thinking in his head (like, does he suspect whom?), unlike Raito, you always know his opinion on everything.

Ryuuku, what can i say? He looks disgusting when first introduced, but i got used to him right away and he is getting very cute!
Thievesvinegar
QUOTE(chloe @ Aug 10 2004, 07:41 PM)

Ryuuku, what can i say? He looks disgusting when first introduced, but i got used to him right away and he is getting very cute!

I must say, compared to other death gods, he's pretty decent. It's just the face that you need to get used to.
Kaitou-dark
misa is a slut, she dresses like one and acts like one.
Thievesvinegar
QUOTE(Kaitou-dark @ Aug 11 2004, 04:04 AM)
misa is a slut, she dresses like one and acts like one.

yea, its disgusting. She doesn't mind being one, from the way she wanted to be owned by raito.
Omakase Shimasu
Question. Why does L gets so freaked out when the message sent by the second kira talked about gods of death?

Wouldn't you freak, too? tongue.gif Seriously, I think... superstition? Aren't most Japanese superstitious? (thought I heard it somewhere...) If so, than the mention of a God of Death alone would be enough to scare anyone sh**less.

On a side-note: anyone know where you can get the scanlations of vol. 30+?
Thievesvinegar
QUOTE(Omakase Shimasu @ Aug 11 2004, 03:09 PM)

On a side-note: anyone know where you can get the scanlations of vol. 30+?

its not out yet?

Sure it can be superstition, but then why didn't the other agents all fall to the floor with horror-struck eyes? Being L, i would think him to be the last one to let his emotions how, not the first and only one. Is there something we don't know?
Omakase Shimasu
Hmmmmmmmm... Maybe he's an Angel? That would be wishful thinking, I guess. rolleyes.gif Or maybe he's seen a God of Death in his youth? The possibilities are endless with only volumes 1-29 to go on. *sigh* You know next to nothing about L's mysterious past, relations, family etc., etc. Such a shame!

Ummm, I know the raw version of vol. 50 (I thought it was) is out. Or maybe it was vol. 35... 35 seems more likely doesn't it? happy.gif;;

If anyone wants the translation of this raw volume I can probably link it to this post. Ah, if I can find the site again, that is. biggrin.gif;;;
Thievesvinegar
please do.
Quistis88
The plot is, indeed, quite intriguing (up to par with Spiral, if not better, but then, maybe I shouldn't even compare). So much strategy involved; I'm a sucker for those types of stories. I'd like to read more as well.
BlueRakuen
weeeh! 30 is out!
http://compass-linux.cjb.net:4500/ot-bt/

Unrelated to chapter 30
Just a thought, but maybe L simply doesn't have a REAL name... since his past is still unknown... or something like that
Thievesvinegar
QUOTE(BlueRakuen @ Aug 15 2004, 03:48 AM)

Unrelated to chapter 30
Just a thought, but maybe L simply doesn't have a REAL name... since his past is still unknown... or something like that

This may tie in with why he reacted so violently to misa's note thats talks about death gods.
Omakase Shimasu
Sorry for the late reply~~ Been having lots of trouble with the internet server these past few days. dry.gif I wasn't happy at all, but what can you do about it?

Anwayz, here's that link I promised. They've got the translations up to 34, so beware spoilers ahead!

Link: http://www.cielfong.net/~derek/deathnote/translations.html

Also, it might take a while for the LiveJournal to upload. happy.gif;;; Patience is the key here, guys!
Thievesvinegar
Thanks a ton.

Awww man. I was really dissapointed about misa. Even if i hated her from the beginning, i had some hope that it was all an act, that maybe her "love" for raito was some devious plan for her own benifit b/c she does have the upper hand.
Quistis88
*squeals with excitement*

Thank you for the link to the translations, Omakase Shimasu!

My, my . . . things are certainly heating up.
Omakase Shimasu
XD Raito bondage.

Ahem. Sorry guys. And no thanks! happy.gif It's all for the good of the fans, right? Now~ I just need pretty pictures to make my imagination complete! Anyone know where you can find raws, maybe?
chloe
hm...
This site has chinese translated scans. This site has online scans but it doesn't update often, like once a month, or longer. At the moment it has all the chapters including the latest one (Ch.34)
http://www.idler-et.com/comic/type_45/type_45_1.html

For Latest chapters Try this
http://cncard.wfinfo.net.cn/lastone/jojo/0...bj/jojoswbj.htm
the last column are the download links for the latest chapters

i am still looking for scans of ch.35
Omakase Shimasu
Chinese scanlations are better than nothing, right? ^_~ Thanks!
rsF
What dialect of Chinese? I can read some Mandarin, so if that helps. ^.^
Omakase Shimasu
Wah, I'm so not Chinese... At first I couldn't even hear the difference between Chinese and Japanese. biggrin.gif;; Shame on me!
rsF
Actually, Chinese and Japanese are not as different as they could be, so don't be ashamed. Characters for instance, are very similar. The Chinese word for love is the exact same as the Japanese versian. Tons of similarities exist.
Thievesvinegar
There are simliarities, but the tone is very different.
chloe
There is a zip file of 3 4-panel comics up in the second link!
Go check it out!
By the way, there was a rumor that Raito's name shouldn't be "Raito", it should be "Light", the scan in the zip file showed that Raito's official English name is "Light" and Ryuuku is "Ryuk"
Omakase Shimasu
You mean Raito was supposed to be an English name? As in Doctor Light from Megaman.

Raito - Light... I think I like Raito better. And Ryuk? laugh.gif

It would be kinda bizarre if L was also derived from Light.
chloe
It would be kinda bizarre if L was also derived from Light.

good point! quite possible!

well, here's the translation of the 4-panel comics if you need it:

Title: Summer
1st panel:
L: Summer's here... Yagami-kun... I suppose you are going to the beach or the pool with Misa?
Raito: Yeah It's summer, so it is possible

2nd Panel
L: Misa's swimsuit should be black, right?
Raito: Ryuuga... Don't tell me... Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

3rd Panel
L: Yagami-kun... To tell the truth i am not talking about the matter of black or white swimsuits...
Raito: I knew it! Just as I expected from you, Ryuuga! (i know this sentence sounds wierd translated like this but it'll make sense later)

4th Panel
Raito: If there's a chance, ususally I also hope i could see her wear white, not swimsuits
L: That's great, Yagami-kun... It's very normal for 18-year-olds

2nd Comic
Title: Sea/Beach

1st panel:
Sayu: Ah~ I'm so happy we're going to the beach!

2nd Panel:
L: Yagami-kun, Misa-san is wearing white clothes, could that mean...
Raito: Just as I except from you, Ryuuga... She's wearing white, then that could very possibly also be white. The perfect inference...

3rd panel:
Misa: 'Cause I am wearing swimsuit today anyway, I'm not wearing that!
Sayu: Ahh--- That's our Misa-Misa! You're great!

4th panel:
L: Yagami-kun... It's not the point whether she's wearing or not... I am not as excited isn't the point either....
Raito: As i expected from Ryuuga... I am also thinking about this problem

3rd Comic
Title: Interest

1st Panel
SFX: Splash Splah
Misa and Sayu: Ahh Ahh

2nd panel
L: The swimsuit is... white.... Compared to wearing the boring underwear this is more revealing, isn't this better? ... no... this is not the point... Yagami-kun Why am I a bit angry now... Yagami kun....
Raito: I think I am starting to understand your feelings right now... really...

3rd panel
L: I can't surpress my curiousity any longer. Shouldn't I just ask her? "Do you wear white?"
Raito: Ryuuga... I depending on you!!

4th Panel
Misa: Eh... Socks... White? Yeah... I always wear them. Why do you ask?
Raito(thinking): In some other concept... it's just as i expected from Ryuuga.....

This series of 4 panel comic is kinda confusing, but i think what it meant was
Since Misa is goth, she always wears black, so Raito is wondering if Misa ever wears white underwears, whereas L is wondering if Misa ever wears white socks
Omakase Shimasu
Heeeey~ I can't see those comics. T__T Damn Linux. But the translations though weird are funny! L and Raito making a fuss about Misa's clothing. What is the world coming to? tongue.gif
chloe
at least we know that RaitoxL isn't officially true and in fact they are both hetrosexual! phew! relieved! there's just too much RaitoxL out there
RolfKaese
um chloe? can u post a direct link to the zip download? cant find anything on the page T___T
Omakase Shimasu
QUOTE(RolfKaese @ Aug 20 2004, 04:37 PM)
um chloe? can u post a direct link to the zip download? cant find anything on the page T___T

Oh, I thought it had something to do with my Linux. tongue.gif Sorry, bud, I'm blaming everything on you, don't I?
chloe
http://cncard.wfinfo.net.cn/lastone/jojo/0...bj035fwprqj.zip

... i think this is it, it should work
Quistis88
That beach scene was hilarious! biggrin.gif Maybe L has . . . a foot fetish?
chloe
http://cncard.wfinfo.net.cn/lastone/jojo/0.../swbj035rqj.zip
this link is to chapter 35
yay~ cute Raito is back~
Thievesvinegar
I am very slow.

Now that we've got that covered, please explain to me whyyyy this beach scene is in there? Is it just there for kicks? Or does it have some relevant message im not getting. blink.gif
Quistis88
Maybe it's just there as a little extra. Comic relief, so to speak.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.