Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If You Could Have Auto-mail Would You Want It?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1)
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
alchemist922
<Moved the thread from FMA Anime American Audience sub-forum to FMA Anime forum section front. 02/03/07 ~Tombow>

its a hard choice i would have to think about it ... if i needed it i would take it
Hilde Knight
If I was under the circumstances where I could use auto-mail, yes. I'm not going to be purposely amputating limbs just so I can be awesome like Ed and have auto-mail, though... And if anyone actually does this, they are too big of an impressionable dolt to be watching things like anime in the first place.

But, to answer your question, yes, I would.
Chibi-Usa
Yes because without it I would have nothing where I'm missing something
KevLar
yes i agree if someone were to amputate a limb for no reason they would be pretty stupid

robots, yo
Blade Alchemist
I'd rather have an automail arm than a regular arm. I wouldn't amputate my own arm though. That'd be cool if instead of amuptating your own arm you could switch it like on Metabots.
sumflip
Yes I would want automail...but it's not like I'm asking for someone to come along and rip off my limbs lol. If something bad were to happen accidently and I had to get automail...I wouldn't mind one bit.
AlphonseRules
I think that anyone would get Automail is they lost an arm or leg somehow. It would be almost like you never lost your leg. I doubt that anyone would be like Gramps in episode 16.
animefan101
That is a hard one!There are good and bad pounts to having automail.I will have to think about it.
*~Oashisu*~
If I really needed to I would. Whats the point of balancing on one leg if you could get an artificial one? Automail would make life easier.
But like animefan101 said, there are some disadvantages. Like it rusting, or breaking, etc.
Elderberry
I doubt that anyone would be like Gramps in episode 16.
I don't know if episode 17 has been aired in the US yet, but you people should know that getting automail implanted hurts. A lot.
xrninja
QUOTE(Elderberry @ Mar 5 2005, 08:52 PM)
I don't know if episode 17 has been aired in the US yet, but you people should know that getting automail implanted hurts.  A lot.
[snapback]127495[/snapback]

and is supposed to take, what, three years of rehabilitation? ph34r.gif
Alchemistbabe
I wouldn't have to think about it at all.Of course I'd want automail!!That would be awsome!
Quistis88
QUOTE(Alchemistbabe @ Mar 6 2005, 12:00 AM)
I wouldn't have to think about it at all.Of course I'd want automail!!That would be awsome!

Even if you don't need it?
AlphonseRules
QUOTE(Elderberry @ Mar 6 2005, 12:52 AM)
I doubt that anyone would be like Gramps in episode 16.
I don't know if episode 17 has been aired in the US yet, but you people should know that getting automail implanted hurts. A lot.
[snapback]127495[/snapback]

Yeah, you go through a few hours of excrutiating pain to significantly improve your way of living for the rest of your life. I'd say that's equivilant exchange.
Prinz_Zoisit
if i'd be paralized, i would really gladly have an automail like ed^^
Alchemistbabe
Yes,even if I didn't need it.Well wait.......if I had automail in the real world I'd be a freak to other poeple.......Oh well!I don't care what other people think of me.I could help other people with my automail and save lives.That would be enough for me.
Elderberry
Yeah, you go through a few hours of excrutiating pain to significantly improve your way of living for the rest of your life. I'd say that's equivilant exchange.
Um...actually in the manga, I believe that Pinako said that it also takes about 3 years of recuperation and physical therapy to be able to walk normally again with an automail leg...rolleyes.gif

I'm not saying that people shouldn't opt for automail if they were to lose a limb or somthing in Ed's world. I'm just agreeing with the people here who feel that it's pointless to purposely destroy a limb just so they can obtain "cool" automail. happy.gif
AlphonseRules
QUOTE(Elderberry @ Mar 6 2005, 05:35 PM)
Um...actually in the manga, I believe that Pinako said that it also takes about 3 years of recuperation and physical therapy to be able to walk normally again with an automail leg...rolleyes.gif

I'm not saying that people shouldn't opt for automail if they were to lose a limb or somthing in Ed's world.  I'm just agreeing with the people here who feel that it's pointless to purposely destroy a limb just so they can obtain "cool" automail. happy.gif
[snapback]127853[/snapback]

True but you would probably have to go through a bit of rehab anyways, to adjust to a different way of living.
Chibi-Usa
Geez, once you put it like that, I don't know if I want it! I'll just be without a body part!
Chiyo
I'd prefer it to being without a body part sure. Otherwise...
MustEd4ever
to tell you the truth, I think you would have to go through rehab even if u chose not to have auto-mail. so if i had the choice i would do automail....im a reasonably strong person and can handle pain so i dont think it would be that big of a deal. i mean....lets see....
-car crash loose leg
-go without leg forever and have to get used to that OR
-have automail leg and get used to that even if there was pain involved.
-plus, with automail, at least you have something filling in that void where a leg or arm might be lost

I'd be counted as a bigger freak if i had no leg than if i had an automail leg tongue.gif
Full Blade Alchemist
I wouldn't mind having automail. It would be cool. You would be like an individual...kinda....ya..
Quistis88
QUOTE(Full Blade Alchemist @ Mar 7 2005, 07:16 PM)
I wouldn't mind having automail. It would be cool. You would be like an individual...kinda....ya..

Not really. The problem is if this world is capable of automail, with that sort of technology, everyone who needs/wants automail would have it in no time if they can afford to. There goes the individuality.
AlphonseRules
I was just thinking that it would be wierd to have an automail apendage. Let's say you have an automail arm. You have complete control of it but you would have no sense of feel in that arm. You probably wouldn't have as good hand eye coordination with that arm as well.
MustEd4ever
You probably wouldn't have as good hand eye coordination with that arm as well.

well i dont have very good handeye coordination anyways so thats not a big problem. I still want automail and im glad that no one has the technology quite yet cuz then otherwise there would be too many people with automail and it would be boring. sleep.gif
fireblast99
Well i dont know, but it seems that automail wouldnt be that far off.

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/06/13/cov.bionic.eye/
Atrius
If I had to get one or be without a limb, I would definitely get one without thinking twice about it. Besides, it's better to have something rather than nothing, no matter how cumbersome.
Vincent Valentine
Sure, I'd take automail. I personally think it would come in handy. Bring the pain of implanted-ness, I say.
animeluver25
i might want it, not sure though. There are some good things and some bad things. But i think i would. rolleyes.gif
Devilblood666
I know this sounds real stupid i'd exchange my arm for auto-mail anyday, because it would be awesome!
AlphonseRules
I have a new question to add to this post, it is more for the people who said no to the original question.
Would you have one arm and one leg replaced with automail if, in return you recieved the ability to perform alchemy?
Sonic-Teal
I would and wouldent for several reasons. I would take auto-mail if I had a mission or unfullfiled promise, but if not no I wouldent take it. I guess you could say my style of thinking is like gramps who lost his leg, but that is only if i have completed everything I needed to do.
Wise_Alchemist
If I could have auto-mail I wouldn't want it, first of all having your nerves attached to metal would be irritating. And also take into consideration the fact Ed wants to restore his body, that shows it might not be the best thing in the world.
Tobu Ishi
If I lost a limb, then yes, I would want automail. The level of independence that it would restore to me would be worth the pain and inconvenience of installation and rehabilitation.

However, without a reason like limb loss, I would say to just skip it. I like my body just how it is. Even Ed's great dream was to restore Al's and his bodies to their original human form. happy.gif
THeDaRKneSSWiThiN
If I lost a limb, then yes, I would want automail. The level of independence that it would restore to me would be worth the pain and inconvenience of installation and rehabilitation.

However, without a reason like limb loss, I would say to just skip it. I like my body just how it is. Even Ed's great dream was to restore Al's and his bodies to their original human form.

Agreed. Automail would have it's advantages (if you wanted to hop a barbed wire fence for example smile.gif ) but other than that, it seems to painful to have attached unless it was desperatley needed.
Ballistic Alchemist
I would take the automail, I let them tear off my limbs and replace with automail and be able to perform alchemy, of course i would only do this if it was free cuz I'm not gonna pay like 1/2 a mil to get my arm ripped off.
Full Metal Engineer
sure....I wouldn't mind having my limbs ripped off for automail of course just like Ballistic Alchemist said I wouldn't pay squat for it because I'm not going to give money + pain from them ripping my limbs off for automail dry.gif because...

money + my limbs > automail...see how theres no = sign because it wouldn't be worth it
Ballistic Alchemist
but you get to do alchemy(is pretty cool) and you can do stuff you could'nt do. I wouldn't mind the pain,just drug the shit outta me and i'll be fine
Ed's_Girl
That is a definate hell yeah. Why? I just would like to be strong, and different. AND MORE
ymsg
Automail limbs for alchemy... HELL YEAH! I'd love to be able to perform alchemy and I'd fork up a limb or to for that. *claps hands together and waits for reaction**nothing happens*

Yeah. I want the automail.
yannathedemonalchemist
if it came down to where i would need it then yea i would hav eit done to me, so my answer would be yes also.....cya all soon
Obcessed Mechanic
Ah, yes! I would much prefer the creak of metal, the smell of oil, and the shinyness. Who needs FLESH when you could have AUTOMAIL?

(taken from the wonderful Winry)
Kyo_Umerio
if i lost a limb then i would ABSOLUTLY want automail, since it connects to your nervs and gives you full use of the arm as if it were a realy arm. a regular prostetic would be horrible and require alot of patience. so Automail all the way. not to mention that it wouldn't every get hurt and would or could enhance some abilities. i think the only problem would be keeping it functional.
Luckyalchemy27
Automail would be great! Sure, the operation and rehabilitation would suck, but I'd rather have a fake limb than no limb at all. Plus, it would be a great topic of conversation at parties.
Also, get automail and be able to use alchemy? YES! YEE-EEEES! *laughs maniacally and imagines self using alchemy to blast enemies to kingdome come!*
if i was able to do alchemy like Ed to change and arm to a sword i would.
hahaha.
otherwise i wouldnt.
Sonic-Teal
Alchemis or not a gun can still bring you down. Remember in some ways a regular soldier is more capable than an alchemist becuase they depend on alchemy and dependance weakans humans, so techanically stip you of your auto-mail and a common soldier looks like the greatest alchemist ever. Even the jedi are weak without the force, take my lesson with caution padawans.
Destati
I wouldn't want Auto-mail. It might break down on me in extreme situations like it does for Edo-kun! ;-;
Zarpia
I woud defenitly whant one, in and arm
Archaic the Angel Alchemist
definantly I would take it in a heart beat. It would have to be on my left arm though.
alchemistgirl zero
in alchemistgirl zero's mind: automail = CYBORG! ^_________^

I'd be all too happy to have automail. ^-^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.