Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 16 Discussion
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
TheVileOne
Please post the discussions on episode 16: "That Which is Lost" here. smile.gif

Some people might call this and the next episode filler, but if you've been paying attention to Fullmetal Alchemist, I think you may realize by now there is no filler.
There are some interesting developments to say the least, and some great character moments with Major Alex Louis Armstrong smile.gif

Reminder: Fullmetal Alchemist is on a half hour earlier now, not top of the hour.
Falling_Man
The crashing deal was funny. Especially with Edward.

Also with Al and that boy. Al: I am the demonic armor... laugh.gif
The sheep...
Armstrong's pink gems. *twinkle*

And about Armstrong. His voice is... alright. Not quite was I was expecting. It's decent VA, that's for sure...
(note the fact this is the first FMA episode I've seen for about two weeks...)

What was scary: Armstrong's bulging muscules.

OT:
Could I get a run-down of what I missed last two episodes? Please PM me or just post it here. I missed the last two episodes. (darn it)
What became of the doctor and that maid? I think I missed it.

Oi, I almost forgot.

What's up with Roy and his little opera singing voice? (second time I've heard it)
Full Plastic Alchemist
I liked that girl in gluttonys mouth, and also I liked how lust was making that soldier horny.
This episode revealed a bit more about the homonucleus.
TheVileOne
Al's VA was hilarious tonight, especially his ruse on the young boy.

Christopher Sabbat is doing a great job as Armstrong IMHO.

Next week's episode is one of my favorites.
Blade Alchemist
Tonights was kinda boring. dry.gif

But, it was funny with Al and the demonic armor thing biggrin.gif
TheVileOne
OT:
QUOTE (Falling_Man @ Feb 26 2005, 10:17 PM) *
OT:
Could I get a run-down of what I missed last two episodes? Please PM me or just post it here. I missed the last two episodes. (darn it)
What became of the doctor and that maid? I think I missed it.

You didn't miss anything about what happened to Dr. Marcoh and the maid Falling Man...because they never showed us wink.gif .
Animeoldtimer
Al was really funny! Nothing like a good scare to set a kid straight!

I liked Ed's conversation with the grandfather, too.
I really like the perspectives that are brought into the show by the characters.
For example Ed just assumes the the man wants to have an artificial leg so he be more productive.
But the man explains how he has gained more time with and appreciation for his family by not having the leg.
TheVileOne
QUOTE (Animeoldtimer @ Feb 27 2005, 01:29 AM) *
For example Ed just assumes the the man wants to have an artificial leg so he be more productive.
But the man explains how he has gained more time with and appreciation for his family by not having the leg.

The loss of his leg is also there so he never forgets the things he did and the things that happened.
Things that you would probably want to forget about, but for the sake of history, need to remember.
Kirara
Although this episode wasn't exactly what I expected there was much to love.

* "Al's "This is the first time I am being treated like a kid" line
* Ed's concern over missing Al
* Ed's discussion with that legless man
* Armstrong in general
* Ed's comment about why Mustang visited the Rockbell's. I loved how they left it open.
* Ed's and Hughes' talk and salute
* Roy's impression of Ed in the beginning of the episode
* The mini fight with Lust and Marcoh, good suspense

I am very excited about the next episode, ep 17 , it covers one of my favorite manga chapters.
But then again I am overly excited about every episode.

Chris Sabat can overact at times but he is a very good voice actor, you just have to look at the range of characters he has played: Vegeta, Piccolo (DBZ), Kuwabara, (YYH), Ayame (Fruits Basket)
TheVileOne
Do you guys think maybe Roy just also wanted to see the Rockbell family since he killed Winry's parents?
Blade Alchemist
OT:
QUOTE (Kirara @ Feb 27 2005, 01:39 AM) *
I am very excited about the next episode, ep 17

I'm excited about every episode biggrin.gif
Animeoldtimer
QUOTE (TheVileOne @ Feb 27 2005, 01:43 AM)
Do you guys think maybe Roy just also wanted to see the Rockbell family since he killed Winry's parents?

I think that is exactly right.He feels he needs to make up for what he did IMO.
AlphonseRules
This episode was alright. I really had my expectations up after last weeks episode.

I thought it is was funny when it started raining and Al said, "No fair rain, I'm the one that wants to cry!" or something like that.

I also liked the fight between Marcoh and Lust, especially when he attacked Lust(that was awesome how he drew the circle in his own blood).

Ed's conversation with the old guy seemed to open his mind up as to all the possibilities of equivilant exchange.

The only thing that I didn't really like about this episode was that a lot of story lines were started really quick and not ended.
But, that will keep me looking forward to next weeks episode.
HYDROGEN ALCHEMIST
This show has such subtlety- visual and verbal pauses can really say a lot.
(Ed/Armstrong/Station attendant, Ed/Grandfather, etc.

A few questions and observations (sorry in advance for lameness) biggrin.gif :

1.) What the HECK is LUST, and the rest of the other 7 DEADLY SINS?
Are they human?
They have tattoos, and appear able to do Alchemical Transmutations- BUT ON/IN THEIR BODIES, unlike a "regular" alchemist, who seems to "influence" OUTSIDE OF him/herself.
(I understand revealing a lot of this right now could qualify as one helluva SPOILER, for most of us just starting out with FMA on Cartoon Network... so, if no one answers, well... that's OK.) Just curious.

2.) Al's soul is in the armour, right? Where the heck IS IT, exactly?
I mean,... is it in the amour's METAL? Contained in the EMPTY SPACE inside the armour?
Is it like an AURA, surrounding the armour?
When that kid stole the armour, then put it on- I was, like... WHAT THE... ( ! ), AL'S STILL IN THERE!!
I didn't think anyone could put the armour on, while Al's essence was contained somewhere within it.

3.) You can tell Roy's superior is up to something !
Cliffhangers at the show's end are storyline stock-in-trade,... but, OH MAN, they're KILLERS!
Especially, for a show that seems to go by SO FAST (time flies when yer havin' fun... )
And THEN,.. you gotta wait a whole week for a new episode! (No,.. I'm not complainin')

Yeah, he's up to something... anyone wanna venture a guess?

4.) JEEEEEEEZZZZZSUS!! Is the ARMSTRONG CLAN one HUGE, ONGOING EUGENICS EXPERIMENT!!
Let's lock up Hughes and Armstrong in a room, let them talk to each other about their families- Ad Nauseaum, and let's see who keels over first! blink.gif ohmy.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

5.) Yeah,... Al really got to shine- in a really funny light, in this episode! Great!

I also think Ed had a strong, decisive moment of clarity, there at the table, with Gramps.

Ciao.
TheVileOne
QUOTE (HYDROGEN ALCHEMIST @ Feb 27 2005, 07:36 AM)
1.) What the HECK is LUST, and the rest of the other 7 DEADLY SINS? Are they human? They have tattoos, and appear able to do Alchemical Transmutations- BUT ON/IN THEIR BODIES, unlike a "regular" alchemist, who seems to "influence" OUTSIDE OF him/herself.

Patience, everything will be revealed in time.

2.) Al's soul is in the armour, right? Where the heck IS IT, exactly?

Al's soul is affixed to the armor like your soul is theoretically affixed to your body.
As to how that works...well you find out next week wink.gif .
spectacal
...Why did Mustang start mocking at Ed when they were in the hallway about when Ed was having the automail surgery? (crap, was that a spoiler?) The quote was all weird and like "BLAAAAHIMSOSCAREDIMGONNAPEEMYPANTS".
I mean, that's harsh. blink.gif

The episode was a little pointless and they could have easily skipped it.
But it was cute for the most part smile.gif
Heee, Al. "I am the demon armor...wait, no..."
HYDROGEN ALCHEMIST
QUOTE (TheVileOne @ Feb 27 2005, 04:05 AM) *
Al's soul is affixed to the armor like your soul is theoretically affixed to your body.
As to how that works...well you find out next week wink.gif .

Thanks for the heads-up, Vile.
Can't wait to see what you're implying- next week!

As LUST might say: PATIENCE IS NO VIRTUE OF MINE! tongue.gif
Kirara
QUOTE (TheVileOne @ Feb 27 2005, 01:43 AM) *

Yes that was what I was getting at, but I loved how they left it open and didn't actually say it.

Now after rewatching the episode when that boy was riding the bike wearing Al (that sounds so odd) It looked like Al had both his arms and legs but in the last episode he lost both. Was that an animation mistake?

Also I didn't think it was made very clear that Ed can still peform alchemy without his right arm.
He can no longer do alchemy with just the clap of his hands but he should be able to do it the old fashioned way just by drawing a circle.
Stained_Wings
i liked this episode.
it's nice to have a somewhat light-hearted episode for a change.
i thought the whole thing with the kid and Al was a little stupid, but thats just me (but it WAS funny having Al pretend to be possessed).
i didn't understand the Roy visiting the Rockbell's comment at first, but what you guys suggested seems to hit the nail on the head.
Armstrong was hilarious, as always. Gramp's and Ed's conversation was pretty interesting as well.

but i have a question: How come Ed's leg was so easy to remove and reattach?
I thought since his nerves are connected it would be harder and more painful to do so.

i can't wait till next week's episode! its one of my favorite stories from the manga.

QUOTE (Kirara @ Feb 27 2005, 11:36 AM)
Also I didn't think it was made very clear that Ed can still peform alchemy without his right arm.
He can no longer do alchemy with just the clap of his hands but he should be able to do it the old fashioned way just by drawing a circle.

i didn't understand that either huh.gif
AlphonseRules
QUOTE (Kirara @ Feb 27 2005, 12:36 PM)
...after rewatching the episode when that boy was riding the bike wearing Al (that sounds so odd)
It looked like Al had both his arms and legs but in the last episode he lost both. Was that an animation mistake?

I noticed that about Al's arm and leg to.
In the last episode his arm fell off so that was in that crate with the rest of his body.
As far as his leg goes, I thought that it was shattered into pieces when Scar attacked his so I don't know where the kid got another metal leg from.
Kao
Did anyone notice that VERY long pause in the conversation with Ed and Gramps?..

And Al's comment about the rain, i thought it was sorta cheesy for a 14 year old.. blink.gif
Kirara
QUOTE (Stained_Wings @ Feb 27 2005, 01:34 PM) *
... i have a question: How come Ed's leg was so easy to remove and reattach?
I thought since his nerves are connected it would be harder and more painful to do so.

I am guessing that between the time we saw Ed on the ground and sitting at the table was a little longer than what we saw on tv.
And since we didn't actually see Ed reattach his leg we can't say if it was an easy process or not.
I am not sure exactly how the little girl removed it though.
Hagane no Renzy
I liked the episode, it was a nice calm one for a change. ^ _ ^

And Al was so funny.

And Kao, it may seem cheesy for a regular 14 year old (i agree) but...Al is...how can i say this...

..."hypersensitive?" blink.gif
Panzer Dragoon
That. Was. Hilarious!

I was laughing a lot, especially at Al and the kid.

Al: I'm a newer version of armor. (I think that's how it went)

I was watching it with my friend and she freaked out when she found out Armstrong was traveling with the Bros.
In my opinion, the VAs did an awesome job. I salute with my wing.
*Salutes with left then panics and raises right wing*

Another part I liked when Ed starts running after he forgot about Al.

Ed: Al! Al!
Al: *Raises left arm* Over here!
*Ed slips*

Sorry if this spoils anything.

By the by, here's a few screencap pictures for you...
TheVileOne
Notice how the kid placed holy wards over Al before he ran away.
Hilde Knight
For some reason I enjoyed the part where Ed realizes that equivalent trade is a double-edged sword.

I also loved Al's parts, and Hughes' little "Shoo, shoo!" as well.

Not to mention Roy mocking Ed, "I'm going to pee my pants! I'm going to pee my pants!"
Blade Alchemist
I thought the "I'm gonna pee my pants" part was a bit messed up because
Ed went through a hard time before Roy started to make fun of him.
HYDROGEN ALCHEMIST
Anyone remember catching a glimpse of LUST'S TATTOO ?
It was pretty cool! A version of the UROBOROS, a'think.
Any suggestions out there, for copping a good shot of it, on line?
(I'm on my way to check out our GALLERY section!)

Thnx.
Nagurikorosu
I was wondering why Roy was at Resembool (sp?).
I didn't quite make that conection, heh.

I have to say I hated Ed for a quick minute when he yelled at Armstrong at the train station.
He's so lucky he apologized, I wanted to phase through the TV and smack him when he said that.
Apple Juice
Armstrong is one of the coolest characters.
I thought the shot of Al covered w/ holy wards was really funny
Nagurikorosu
That was pretty funny.

And I am also a fellow Armstrong lover.
Can the man do any wrong?
Blade Alchemist
QUOTE (HYDROGEN ALCHEMIST @ Feb 27 2005, 07:49 PM) *
Anyone remember catching a glimpse of LUST'S TATTOO ?
Any suggestions out there, for copping a good shot of it, on line?

Hydrogen Alchemist, try going to fullmetalalchemist.info and go to the alchemy section.
The pic. isn't very big.
Ed_Elric_Fan
I thought it was funny when that grl stole Ed's leg/ I yelled at her for stealing his leg, then realized how wierd that sounded.
My brother heard me and was like blink.gif

I was wierded out when that kid put on.. Al.
But Al was pretty funny.

How does the military peoples put up with Hughes and Armstrong never shutting up about their families? huh.gif
AlphonseRules
I thought it was lame of Mustang to make fun of Ed like that.
It was a very serious event in Al and Ed's lives and I thought Mustang was very disrespectful.

QUOTE (Nagurikorosu @ Feb 27 2005, 10:04 PM)
I have to say I hated Ed for a quick minute when he yelled at Armstrong at the train station.
He's so lucky he apologized, I wanted to phase through the TV and smack him when he said that.

Ed thinks, just like the rest of us, that Armstrong murdered hundreds of inocent people.
He is justified in his action if you ask me.

I thought that Ed's VA(Vic Mignogna), did a really good job in this episode when Ed was angry about Al and him doing nothing but giving and have not gotten anything in return.
He really captured the sadness, anger and frustration that Ed would be feeling.
HYDROGEN ALCHEMIST
QUOTE (Blade Alchemist @ Feb 28 2005, 12:13 AM)
Hydrogen Alchemist, try going to fullmetalalchemist.info and go to the alchemy section. The pic. isn't very big.

Thanks, BLADE ALCHEMIST.. 'll give it a shot. 'preciate it!

ETA: .....Thanks for the pointer to " www.fullmetalalchemist.info ".
Found a few "good enough" shots of Lust's tattoo. Merci.

THE VILE ONE - had a little time on my hands, and decided to visit a few FMA sites, I found.
I DISCOVERED WHAT LUST AND HER LITTLE GROUP ARE! GREAT STUFF!
But don't worry, I'm not tellin'... and SPOILIN' IT,... for the other ADULT SWIM FMA viewers. Great storyline, though.

Gotta work on that PATIENCE, I guess. rolleyes.gif

Ciao.

TheToeTag
QUOTE (Kirara @ Feb 27 2005, 12:36 PM) *
Now after rewatching the episode when that boy was riding the bike wearing Al (that sounds so odd) It looked like Al had both his arms and legs but in the last episode he lost both. Was that an animation mistake?

If you look hard you can see that the kid just has the armor on.
There still not apart of Al yet.

FMA is the best show on TV and more then likely it will stay that way of a while
Chibi-Usa
QUOTE (TheToeTag @ Feb 28 2005, 11:07 AM) *

If you look hard you can see that the kid just has the armor on.

No, that was the shell of the arm you saw,the WHOLE arm wasn't there
TheVileOne

Al still had both his arms after the fight. His right arm fell off though.

Full Flame Alchemist
Only 9 eps till phone booth. Using orange/apple codes. wink.gif
chocolate_eds_everywhere
QUOTE (HYDROGEN ALCHEMIST @ Feb 28 2005, 09:18 AM) *
.... had a little time on my hands, and decided to visit a few FMA sites, I found.
I DISCOVERED WHAT LUST AND HER LITTLE GROUP ARE! GREAT STUFF!
But don't worry, I'm not tellin'... and SPOILIN' IT,... for the other ADULT SWIM FMA viewers. Great storyline, though.

ya its kinda creepy about the 7 sins huh. it took me awhile to understand it, so i read spoilers too. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.