Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In Episode 25, Is Hughes......
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2
-+maboroshi+-
<edting the thread title and adding "In episode 25" to better describe the content of the thread, and moving from FMA Anime Character discussion forum to FMA Anime American Viewers sub-forum where all episode specific character question threads are being collected currently. 02/23/07 ~Tombow>

...really dead?

I know I sound awfully stupid, but after watching episode 41 of the anime, Roy's words confused me. I'm not sure about what he meant when he mentioned about how he was aware of Major (Armstrong) intending to carry out the will of Hughes and then subsequently proceeding to add that "he'd be investigating the hidden plots himself".

Was Roy actually referring to someone else or is there some special meaning in that sentence? The others appeared to be taken aback by that sentence as well.

*slinks away feeling dense and silly*
Envious...
So are you saying that Envy, who probably had hundreds of years of experience killing people, MISSED at point blank range? Yes I know there was no blood, but if you saw the manga version, you'd change your mind.

Also, they wouldn't bury an empty casket would they? Not to mention the terrible strain that it would have on the mother and daughter if Hughes was alive and was just hiding out.
QUOTE(Envious... @ Aug 6 2004, 05:45 AM)
So are you saying that Envy, who probably had hundreds of years of experience killing people, MISSED at point blank range?  Yes I know there was no blood, but if you saw the manga version, you'd change your mind.

Also, they wouldn't bury an empty casket would they?  Not to mention the terrible strain that it would have on the mother and daughter if Hughes was alive and was just hiding out.

Yes...the shot was definitely fired at point blank range, and of course, there was the burial. That is precisely why I felt confused at Roy's comment, but then again, I could be misreading the entire meaning behind it. "He'd be investigating the hidden plots himself..."...who was Roy referring to then?

I was just wondering for a split second whether there might be a small possibility of Hughes' soul still being around......but nevertheless, he -was- most certainly dead and buried. sleep.gif In fact, a part of me says that this thought is not plausible at all, and if that is so, who is the "jibun" (meaning "oneself") that Roy was talking about? I wouldn't read too much into it if Hawkeye and the rest didn't look surprised...

*sweatdrop*
Smasher
Not sure I see where the confusion is here. Roy is simply saying that if Hughes were still alive, "he'd [Hughes would] be investigating the hidden plots himself", and implying that that responsibility now falls to Armstrong, which is why Armstrong replies, "I apologize, but right now I can't..."
dogbite
was roy talking to ed and al.
cause if so than he just didnt want them to be worried that
hughes was dead.
black_missing
first i was confused to, but not anymore after reading this, thanx:P

To bad that he really is dead:(
Master Fwiffo
Has anyone considered that maybe, just maybe, Roy tried human Alchemy?

Juuuuust maybe? We are in need of a new Greed........
Vael
He didn't lose anything or have a massive rehabilitation period. So I would say... no.
black_missing
But, Roy was reading and experimenting with human alchemy..........stragne
That was long ago, just after the Ishval war. He never tried any funny stuff now. He only said that "In my mind is rushing all the stuff I read of Human Transmutation" at the grave of Hughes. He didn't try anything.
Master Fwiffo
QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 6 2004, 02:57 PM)
That was long ago, just after the Ishval war. He never tried any funny stuff now. He only said that "In my mind is rushing all the stuff I read of Human Transmutation" at the grave of Hughes. He didn't try anything.

Wait.... did Scars brother lose anything when he ressurected Lust?

Could the same thing have happened with Roy and Hughes?
Hagane no Chibi
Yes, Scar's brother lost his penis, and no Im not joking.
Master Fwiffo
QUOTE(Hagane no Chibi @ Aug 6 2004, 03:07 PM)

Do I even want to know how you arrived at that conclusion?
TrueAlchemist
Hughes is dead.
End of Discussion.

He got shot in the left chest.
Unless his heart locates some where besides righ side of chest,
He is dead.
laugh.gif
black_missing
QUOTE(Hagane no Chibi @ Aug 6 2004, 03:07 PM)

how do you know that huh.gif
TrueAlchemist
Black missing
I think he is joking ?

No one knows what Scar's brother lost .
Nah, he just lost his balls laugh.gif
TrueAlchemist
He might lose something, but he might regain when he turned himself into incomplete P. Stone.
Maybe he lost his arm.
Who knows.
odoridan
Ok, so the topic of what Scar's brother lost keeps coming up. He seems to have lost his genitals. See ep 21 or

[img]http://www3.telus.net/odoriman/hagaren-00/bruce.jpg[/img]

There's a clear scar around his groin and he was bloody there after he tried the transmutation. Please put the topic of what Scar's brother lost to rest.

EDIT: Here's an even better image I swiped off another site that shows the blood.

[img]http://astro.temple.edu/~mfinell/nonuts.jpg[/img]
Kodachrome
You know what sucks about him loosing his balls? He made Lust. He can't even whack off. =/
Quistis88
Ahh . . . I suppose that's why she's called 'Lust' . . .
TrueAlchemist
You are good man.
odoridan!!
laugh.gif

Hahaha,he really might lose his thingy.
, but I think he lost his D*** than B***
Because He bleed too much, and there are more blood going through in D*** than B***.

Either way, he is dead dude, so who cares.
Vael
I'm thinking that he lost both. BUT HEY.
TrueAlchemist
Haha,
yes maybe.
laugh.gif
this is really cool thread.
Isn't this supposed to be thread about Hughes
laugh.gif
hakai-kun
anyone ever notice that hughes and greed kinda look alike?
at the end of... vol 6, i think. is when we first see greed's face, and on the left page right next to it is hughes waving [begining of the omake] and i was thinking "woah! they look alike!" And when hughes took of his glasses during Elicia's birthday while he was talking to Winry he looked even more like him. XD just a random thought

-Hakai
-+maboroshi+-
So...everyone has digressed eh? Well, at least it led to another interesting conversation? ^^;; Thank you to the people who cleared my confusions though!
Psycojester
It's quite clearly a conspiracy, both kimberlee and hughes are the dedendants of greed, one of the main plots happening in the FMA is

SPOILER

its an attempt to wipe out the most awesomely cool family on the planet
Metroid Killer
Really?

I don't recall seing any member of the Armstrong family die!? wink.gif

Pomato!!! biggrin.gif
Kodachrome
QUOTE(Psycojester @ Aug 7 2004, 07:10 AM)
It's quite clearly a conspiracy, both kimberlee and hughes are the dedendants of greed,  one of the main plots happening in the FMA is

SPOILER

its an attempt to wipe out the most awesomely cool family on the planet

Dude yes. Lol.

The family tree begins with an Explosion Created by Kenshin and Enishi that impregnates Dante while she was performing Flesh Forging, which ultimately resulted in Greed's birth. From then on, he went around and was awesome and banged up all of these hot chicks who were like, "purreezzuu, sex me" and their bastard children went on to have their own children so fourth until Kimbley and Hughes were born.

Scar's ability to create a nuclear explosion just by blinking clearly links him to be a direct descendent of Greed as well.
Psycojester
Also scar is damn cool. A clear link
TrueAlchemist
Does any one realize that Archer is in Hughes funeral?
I never realize that until yesterday.
Vael
You'll also notice that Izumi and her husband make a cameo appearance at the train station when Winry first arrives in central and is looking around for Armstrong.
hakai-kun
yea, that was in the manga as well. XD
Kodachrome
QUOTE(TrueAlchemist @ Aug 7 2004, 04:29 PM)
Does any one realize that Archer is in Hughes funeral?
I never realize that until yesterday.

Yeah... they show him a few times before he's formally introduced.
WaveMaster
Yea unlike other anime when they throw someone in that we never saw. And I saw the Izumi thingy after I watched the episode we see her for the 1st time
TrueAlchemist
I got Izumi thing a long time ago.
Animators are being funny.
tcrab
I HATE ENVEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what was the point of his death
dragonofchaos
happy.gif i hated hughes but why did he have to die T_T
Merc
I'm not going to bother with a spoiler tag this time since the thread itself is one giant spoiler.

The point of his death is that he found out too much about the Homunculi and some of their plans. Basically he got too close to the truth. This series is supposed to be pretty harsh and down-to-earth. It's not some fairy magic series, the point of it is that you can see some of this happening in real life. In fact, a lot of this has, if you take out the alchemy part of it. Also, once this episode hit, everyone suddenly realized that anything can happen in this series, which puts you on the edge of your seat for the rest of the characters.

Death as a result of, well, knowing too much happens all the time in real life as well, just not involving the undead. XD

~Merc
Azura Elric
Yea...He digged too deep and paid for it...but still. It's so wrong >.<
It's always the funny, family, guy...always!!
Edvs.Harry
WAHHH!!!!!! Not Hughes!NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...!

Note from Quistis: Length of "NOOO..." reduced.
MaesCries
QUOTE(-+maboroshi+- @ Aug 5 2004, 10:37 PM)
...really dead?

I know I sound awfully stupid, but after watching episode 41 of the anime, Roy's words confused me. I'm not sure about what he meant when he mentioned about how he was aware of Major (Armstrong) intending to carry out the will of Hughes and then subsequently proceeding to add that "he'd be investigating the hidden plots himself".

Was Roy actually referring to someone else or is there some special meaning in that sentence? The others appeared to be taken aback by that sentence as well.

*slinks away feeling dense and silly*
[snapback]4429[/snapback]

Well, I'm still mourning, and dieing slowly inside, He didn't deserve to die, he was too nice and always looking after the Elrics, And they don't even know it yet. sad.gif
NightMistress
You know, eventhough I had seen this ep from the sub months ago, it still hurt when I saw it tonight.
LoMXD
Hughs was the one to help out the Elrics and Envy just HAD to take him away from his friends and family.
Azura Elric
...It hurts to do Roy...
You guys should've been at the Memorial Service we held for Maes.
What I find really sickening is Envy taking the form of his wife....that's just a horrible way to die.
stardestroyr
I realize since I am a noob, I may be severely frowned on for posting here yet...I don't know.
But if it makes anyone feel better...when I saw Hughes take the bullet last night I cried...
Zarpia
Most of us cried, it was really say specially when his daughter was cring too.
stardestroyr
Oh, good. Glad I'm not the only one. I couldn't help it. I'd gotten very attached to Hughes. I just sat there in front of the tv in complete disbelief. I did not see it coming, nor did I see the relevance of his death. I could see them taking out many other characters easily. But Hughes? He was like... not disposable character material.
*sigh* doesn't look like he's coming back either.
His daughter crying took it from shocking to heartbreaking. Kudos for the writing there.
BeEmEr
Master Fwiffo if ya read this: I think Scar's brother lost his arm because in episode 41 that old Ishballin said
Isin't that your brothers arm?
and points to Scar's "cursed" arm or so he seems to think.
lightningstaralchemistRME
OMG! When Elysia started asking why they were burying her daddy...the tears started flowing hard! It's SO SAD!!!! And to think that they won't be airing Fullmetal Alchemist anymore...they better change that decision or I'll round up all the Ed fangirls and we'll riot!!! tongue.gif

But still...then when Roy said "It's going to rain today." I totally lost it...

Btw...what's with all of Armstrong's sparklies? They're funny, but...they're...pink...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.