Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character Voices for English dub
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AlphonseRules
Who do you think has the best voice, for the American Dub, of all the FMA characters? Just say who and why, you can list a few if you like.

I like Scars voice the best. I think that the voice really fits the evilness of his character, but also because I think it is just a great sounding voice overall.
Full Blade Alchemist
I think Ed's voice is the best! It's very different! I also like Al's voice. It's such a cute voice!
Kast
Ed's and Al's voices really stick out in my mind. In my opinion that was perfect voice casting.
Nagurikorosu
ITA Full Blade.

I like Lust and Roy. Please don't jump on me for that, because I haven't seen the orginal.
TheVileOne
I love Vic Mignogna's Ed. Regardless of what the purists say, I believe he brings depth and emotion to the character. I think Dameon Clarke's Scar is also awesome. Its basically a somewhat modified version of his Younger Toguro voice, but it fits Scar perfectly.
xrninja
gracia, yoki, and scar. biggrin.gif and not ed, al, winry, roy, or riza, probably because i am one of those aforementioned "purists."
Nagurikorosu
Did anyone like Rose's voice? I liked it, seemed to fit pretty well.

I've been wandering about this for some time. So here goes... When you think about a character's dubbed voice, how do you decide if it's good or bad? What's your criteria?
i liked just about all the secondary character's voices, and Al's. they didnt' seem so fake or forced. (albeit Armour!Al's voice could do with a /little/ more emotion in it>.> ) i guess that as long as the voices were more or less like i imagined they would be in english, it works. >:P
TheVileOne
Colleen Clinkenbeard is great as Rose. She's also the English voice for Hawkeye and one of the show's English ADR directors.

She's also a very beautiful woman in real life too smile.gif .
Quistis88
Favorite Dub Voice = Yoki

He did some pretty amazing work. biggrin.gif
Kitoky
What Quistis said! Yoki's voice was excellent :3
AlphonseRules
QUOTE(Nagurikorosu @ Feb 15 2005, 01:54 AM)
Did anyone like Rose's voice? I liked it, seemed to fit pretty well.

I've been wandering about this for some time. So here goes... When you think about a character's dubbed voice, how do you decide if it's good or bad? What's your criteria?
[snapback]114038[/snapback]

The voice has to match the characters looks and personality.
EdwardLuverAlchemist
I personally like Roy's and Ed's. I can't believe that there are only about fifty episodes!!! Randomness... I gotta stop doing that...
Nagurikorosu
I thought so.

Some people said they thought Roy's voice didn't quite fit, but I thought (and still do) think it's good. I don't know what the original Roy sounded like though.
fullmetal_psychokiwi
I like Ed's voice the best. Although I think he sounds really funny when he says "philosopher's stone". He always says it in a really raspy voice and my sister and I start laughing. It's cute, though. biggrin.gif
Greensky
Well, I havn't heard the English voice overs yet, not until I buy Volume 1 in Canada on March 5th. But Ed's Japanese voice was really really perfect. Nothing will top it tongue.gif

I've also heard Al's voice in the videogame for PS2, and if that's the same voice actor on the english series, then he stinks big time dry.gif
miss_neko
i like hawkeye's voice the best, second is probably ed's

i still think that roys voice doesn't suit him.... but oh well.
darkangelslayer
at first i hated roy's voice because it was too serious for his personality, but it actually makes him stand out.
Nagurikorosu
The first time I saw Roy (it was the opening for the dub), I was expecting a deep, manly voice. You know, they also said, Roy's VA seemed to garble some of the words. I didn't hear it.

OT: If the dub doesn't change the opening or edit it, I will be writing a strongly worded letter to them. Whoever them is.
xrninja
QUOTE(miss_neko @ Feb 16 2005, 04:43 PM)
i like hawkeye's voice the best, second is probably ed's
[snapback]115342[/snapback]

hawkeye's dub voice? blink.gif *twitch*
miss_neko
YES. HAWEYE'S DUB VOICE. hey.. i haven't heard her voice in japanese yet.
Nagurikorosu
After rewatching the last two episodes, I have to say that Hughes, Hawkeye, and Havoc (sp?) have perfect voices. And I have to reaffirm love for Rose's voice, it was excellent IMO! Ed was pretty good to.

What about Scar, Lust, and Gluttony? No one's commented on them yet. I think they're pretty decent.
Hilde Knight
I've grown to like Roy's, Hughes' and Scar's voice.

Roy's was something different from the original, but not in a bad way. The deepness of it just seems to add a bit more to us sarcasm.

No matter what I say about Hughes, it'll be biased. Enough said.

Scar's voice was also something different. I was expecting a voice more similiar to the voice that did Zechs on Gundam Wing, but I was pleasantly surprised with a younger and less raspy sounding voice.
Kao
QUOTE(darkangelslayer @ Feb 16 2005, 05:54 PM)
at first i hated roy's voice because it was too serious for his personality, but it actually makes him stand out.
[snapback]115349[/snapback]

Yeah, when i saw FlameVsFullMetal. I thought Roy's voice was a little weird, and i thought Riza's voice would be more feminent and less deep.
MasterKris
Aaron Dismuke as Alphonse Elric
Played a role in: Fruits Basket as Akito (Young), Peace Maker Kurogane as Tatsunosuke Ichimura, and RahXephon as Mamoru Torigai.

Vic Mignogna as Edward Elric
Played a role in: D.N.Angel as Dark

Caitlin Glass as Winry Rockbell
Played a role in: Case Closed as Reiana (ep 10)

Chris Sabat as Alex Louis Armstrong
Played a role in: Dragon Ball Z as Mr. Popo; Piccolo; Vegeta; Yamcha; Yu Yu Hakusho as Kuwabara; Gama

Travis Willingham as Roy Mustang
Played a role in: Yu Yu Hakusho as Yanagisawa

o_0 <(....!!!!!!)

I think Ed's voice in Japanese is kawai!! The english voice is cool but it kinda makes him more...well...how should I put it...too much of style?
I haven't heard Roy's english voice before, is it weird as people say it is??
For some reason, I don't think there is much different from Al's Japanese voice and his English voice. They both sound so cute.
MasterKris
by the way, this is the English voice of the characters, not japanese.
Ailuro
I think the best voice so far was Gracia's. She was perfect for that role! biggrin.gif
MustEd4ever
My personal opinion would be that Ed's and Al's are the best because Ed's really fits his personality. Al's voice is very innocent and cute and I think that fits Al's personality.
Tidal Wave
this will sound kinda lazy, but I think all the voices fit the character perfectly. Not just a couple, but really everyone fit their character well. In oerticular, Ed, AL, and Scar.
Full Plastic Alchemist
i like the king bradleys voice alot chearful, yet serious
Stupidity
i'd have to say armstrong (sounds much like piccolo from dragonball z)scar and ed, and mustang.. al sounds way to young
Kitoky
The only two I didn't have any problem is Scar, Yoki, Roze, Ross, and Broche.
animefan101
I like Ed and Al's voice! Ed's voice is done by a man named Vic mignogna,I think he is somewhere in his therties or tweenties.Vic also does the vioce of dark on Dnangel,and other characters in different anime series.The person who does the voice of Al is new comer Aaron Dismuke.The surprising thing about Aaron is he is only 12!
Vincent Valentine
I'd say, Lust, Edward, and Alphonse. Well... Actually, all the characters have very good voice-overs. I really find nothing wrong with them at all. Though, there are others out there who are very critical and will disagree with me. I expect them to.
MasterKris
Please do not post double information. If you read other people's posts, it already has the information on the voices.
angieness
I love Ed's, Hughes, Armstrong, and Al's voices the most. And last night I was happy to see Ross' VA was getting very into her role.

I got to meet Vic Mignogna and Mike McFarland (Havoc) at Ohayocon this year and they were both very sweet and were thrilled to hear I liked their work. Considering how big FMA is getting, most of you con goers will get the chance to meet the VAs ^^
TheVileOne
I met Vic, Justin Cook (Russell Tringham), Kyle Hebert (Vato Falman), and Monica Rial (Lyra). They were all approachable and class acts. I appreciate that anime voice actors are really appreciative of their fans and always willing to sign our swag and take pictures.

How can Al sound too young? He was embodied into a suit of armor at like age 10, and his voice IS NOT SUPPOSED TO CHANGE. Aaron Dismuke's voice is fine for the role.
Yukina_Raven
Lust, Ed, Al, Roy, Riza, Scar and Gluttony. Winry's is alright (and those who like Rose's voice should like Winry's because it's the same voice actress)

I just pray they don't ruin Izumi's voice. T_T
xyzknight
I only heard a short clip where Ed,Al,Cornello and Rose (a tiny bit) are acting, and I think Ed's voice was pretty decent,and really sounded like a teen guy. Cornello's voice was even more superb, in my opinion.

However,Al's voice really disappointed me. I dunno why,but he just sounded like a bored 12 years old boy,not like the japanese Al.
Steel Alchemist
I don't know.
Celestial Shadow
Ed's voice all the way ^-^ *would marry Vic just to hear him talk like Ed*
Fullmetal Fangirl
To be honest I've heard none of those voices in English, only Ed, which was decent, except his voice was a little mature when he was 9.

All the others I've only heard in Japanese. Lol, I dont wanna hear Roy and Riza, too dangerous for my liking...
Sonic-Teal
I like Ed, Rose. Mustang, Scar, and Lust's voice the best ofut of them all. I hate Envy's it just dosen't seem right, and I can't decide if I like Winry's or not.
fullmetal_gradstudent
I think (dubbed) Al's voice acting really brings a sadness to the character that isn't always there in the original version. Some people say he sounds flat or like he's reading cue cards, but I think it adds to the depth of what someone in his situation would really be feeling. Amazing work for a 12-year-old, if you ask me.
QUOTE(Nagurikorosu @ Feb 14 2005, 10:54 PM)
[snapback]114038[/snapback]

Well, usually its matching the characters personality and looks, as previously mentioned. However, you are going to find people that completely look past that and obsess over the fact they don't sound like the original japanese voice actors. It's kind of sad really. wink.gif
BloodRedAlchemist
I adore Ed's voice(Vic is amazing) I also love Al's voice. He is amazing for a 12 year old.
LightningAlchemist
QUOTE(BloodRedAlchemist @ Apr 8 2005, 07:54 PM)
I adore Ed's voice(Vic is amazing) I also love Al's voice. He is amazing for a 12 year old.
[snapback]148994[/snapback]

definitely but Al's voice is good but could be a little more mature he sounds like hes 8 sometimes dry.gif
BloodRedAlchemist
QUOTE(LightningAlchemist @ Apr 8 2005, 09:01 PM)

definitely but Al's voice is good but could be a little more mature he sounds like hes 8 sometimes dry.gif
[snapback]149002[/snapback]

he is a freaking 12 year old pat and he is emotional i mean how would u feel if u lost ur entire body and i have to remain in a suit of armor that u have no idea when your going to get out of it. plus i wouldn't talk i mean u sound like your 11 mr. i have no adam's apple.
LightningAlchemist
QUOTE(BloodRedAlchemist @ Apr 8 2005, 08:10 PM)

he is a freaking 12 year old pat and he is emotional i mean how would u feel if u lost ur entire body and i have to remain in a suit of armor that u have no idea when your going to get out of it. plus i wouldn't talk i mean u sound like your 11 mr. i have no adam's apple.
[snapback]149013[/snapback]

Kerry, your a critisizing person how could you say that dry.gif

Dont talk to this person!!!! Shes EVIL!! And told me she likes to bite off rabbit head!!!

anyway maybe he just hasnt reached puberty blink.gif
BloodRedAlchemist
QUOTE(LightningAlchemist @ Apr 8 2005, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE(BloodRedAlchemist @ Apr 8 2005, 08:10 PM)

[snapback]149013[/snapback]

Kerry, your a critisizing person how could you say that dry.gif

Dont talk to this person!!!! Shes EVIL!! And told me she likes to bite off rabbit head!!!

anyway maybe he just hasnt reached puberty blink.gif
[snapback]149019[/snapback]

Don't listen to Pat he doesn't know what he is talking about. Pat you haven't even reached puberty yet and your 14. tongue.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.