Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Episode 14 Discussion
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > Fullmetal Alchemist Discussions > Fullmetal Alchemist Anime (FMA-1) > English Dub episodes (on Adult Swim)
Pages: 1, 2
TheVileOne
Please post the discussions on episode 14: "Destruction's Right Hand" here. smile.gif

Tonight, you might see the return of a familiar character...plus the reveal of a very pivotal character for the series. Not exactly an introduction since the character has already been mentioned and seen (sort of) earlier.
KevLar
EDITED.
adult swim fails for edited airing. mad.gif
vegita625
Japanese version: Envy looks like a flat chested woman and his voice is one of those that could be either man or woman. You only knew when they said "he" or "him" eventually, then the voice was "obviously" male.

English version: THEY GAVE ENVY A VOICE THAT IS CLEARLY A WOMAN'S VOICE!!! Having seen the sub... that voice just DOESN'T work for Envy's character at all...

This is the ONLY voice I've felt this strongly about, even Gluttony isn't too bad, he still seems simple minded. I'll need to hear Armstrong's voice some more, but it seems relatively similar to his Japanese counterpart's, I hope I'm right. But they screwed up Envy!
RogueAlchemist
I wasn't too sad to see the Iron Blood Alchemist die.
Carnal Malefactor
At least they didn't botch Envy's voice like they have so many others...

It also reminded me of why I hated Armstrong for the first half of the series.
DragonNeoReborn
I would just like to praise and complain about the episode. I was ecstatic that CN left most of the episode alone.. but they ruin the drama when scar killed Iron Blood. That was supposed to be shocking and gruesome... they didn't capture the mood at all. Oh well, I have the dvds preordered so I don't really have anything to complain about. What are your guys thoughts about the episode.
TheVileOne
I thought Envy's voice was good. At first when I heard Envy in Japanese I thought he was a woman. He's also voiced by a woman. He sounded like a gender confused transvestite and so does the English VA.
*~Oashisu*~
I dont want to sound evil or anything, but I thought Envy's english VA didn't sound good >.> I had a feeling he would sound a little too girly-ish, and I think I was right. Sorry to the people who actually liked it, this is just my opinion. ^^;

As for the episode itself, it was cool. Yesh. Poor Ed, and Al. Good thing Armstrong came in when he did, or Ed, Al, and the Marco man would have gone boom. blink.gif Boom no good.
Armykid391
it was an interesting episode.... hi every 1 im new tongue.gif
xrninja
i'm going to have to buy lots and lots of non-english things at kinokuniya tomorrow to try to erase dub-envy's voice from my head. just......way too feminine. sub-envy sounded sort of feminine too, but did a much better job with the androgenous voice (as in sub-envy's voice makes you go, "so envy's a girl, right?...wait, or is envy a boy? unsure.gif"). i think the dub VA has potential to do better, but aaagh. *shudder*
AlphonseRules
I thought that this episode was really good but it left me hangin at the end. It started off slow and then there was tons of action and then all of a sudden the credits start to role. It seemed really short. Even thought I didn't like the Iron Blood Alchemist I thought that it was wierd to see him die without much of a fight. To me, the best part was when Armstrong walked in from the shadows to battle Scar.
ps- I'm starting to like Scar more with every episode that he is in.
Zio
I have no complaints about the voicing, espically Envy's. I thought he was a girl when I saw him for the first time. I do wish they kept Gran's head exploding...but I bet that probably would have violated some FCC standards. Decent episode.

Oh and I am not troubled by Armstrong's voice. I thought he was getting the Ah-nuld treatment until I played the game. I, at first, was freaked out, but I grew to love it when he did the goofy stuff.
KevLar
QUOTE(Zio @ Feb 13 2005, 02:51 AM)
Oh and I am not troubled by Armstrong's voice. I thought he was getting the Ah-nuld treatment until I played the game. I, at first, was freaked out, but I grew to love it when he did the goofy stuff.

Piccolo
AlphonseRules
Scars voice is awesome. Armstrong's is a little robotic souding but nothing that would take away from how sweet of a character he is.
Linda
I agree with everyone one else, i thought Envy's voice would be err.. how could i put this.. "slimier"? When i first heard his voice, i was confused.. I thought Envy was a guy.. But then how can heh sound like a girl?... I think Adult Swim screwed or something.. ?

But anyway the episode was to short for me. =S
AlphonseRules
Yeah, it seemed really short to me too.
Also, did anyone else think that Scar almost seemed scared when meeting Armstrong.
Kirara
I didn't like Envy's voice but perhaps the voice actress needs to fit into her role still. Lets give her a chance. Personally I didn't really like Ed's voice at first either but as the series progressed I now think Vic is doing a perfect job. Sure it is different than Paku Romi's performance but Vic still seems to get the essence of Ed's character. Not to mention he doesn't sound as old as he did in the early episodes. his voice has a softer quality to it which really works.

I did like Armstrong's voice but I am not surprised, Chris Sabat was a good choice for the role. And Scar continues to impress. Al's voice is cute but he needs to work on his emotions.

I did enjoy the episode though I think I liked how this storyline was presented in the manga slightly more.
Stacys Slave
i dont really like Envys voice. i thought he would sound like a cocky boy. or a cocky teenage pretty boy. it seemed pretty short......i knew they shouldnt have changed alchemist time slot. now since its on eariler they'll probably edit out alot of stuff they wouldnt have edited out if it had stayed at the midnight time slot. oh.....and the next episode looks great. Ed V.S Scar. damn......i wished they couldve showed the full new ending theme. guess we'll have to wait when these episodes hit DVD. which will probably be in the summer. seeing how episodes 5-8 i think are going to DVD in another month.
Kirara
.i knew they shouldnt have changed alchemist time slot. now since its on eariler they'll probably edit out alot of stuff they wouldnt have edited out if it had stayed at the midnight time slot

This is not true. The halfhour time slot does not make a difference. 11:30 PM is still considered the Adult Swim block (it starts at 11) so the edits would be the same even if it was on at 12. I for one am happy that the show comes on earlier, it is a half-hour less that I have to wait.
AlphonseRules
All the posts about the time change should go in the appropriat topic.
when i first heard envy i was like wtf? i've read the manga and read about him and all, and i was sure he was supposed to be male. i haven't seen the sub yet, so i can't compare.

something that i'm nitpicky about for all anime is the difference between manga and anime, in terms of plot and sequence of events. so, having read the manga story first, i was a little bit put out that they switch around the dr marcoh and scar story. dry.gif

still good episode happy.gif
Viewtiful Alchemist
I wasn't really digging Envy's voice either but as long as they don't try to pass him off as a flat-chested girl in the series, it's ok I guess. Like Stacys Slave mentioned earlier, I too thought they would at least go for the "cocky teenager" voice cause that would suit him very well. I love Piccolo's voice from DBZ but hearing it on Armstrong was alittle weird. Armstrong still owns though.

Oh well, at least the story is starting to pick up and some of the better episodes will start airing.

I don't care too much about the editing of the Scar/Gran thing itself but more about what that means for the future scenes in the anime because I wouldn't even consider that scene bad compared to the ones that's coming up in the series.
Dreakon
I am a huge dub fan. Any sub bothers me and I refuse to watch them (no matter how "great" the originals were), so I tend to see the dubs for face value since I dont have the original VA's to compare them with. A basic overview, pretty much every character has a fitting voice. I personally liked Ed's and Al's voice from the beginning of the dub and every new episode makes me appreciate it more.

As for this episode, Gluttony I feel has a decently fitting voice (contrary to popular belief). Now for the new characters. Envys voice I really dont like, but its acceptable. Hopefully as it was said the actor will be better as time goes on. Armstrong sounds a tad too stern (possibly not the right word there). I am hoping if he has any more light-hearted moments in the series it'll be well done. Thats about all for the actors. Time will tell, I suppose.

As for the episode itself, I loved it! Just like every new episode lately and next weeks looks amazing as well. Scar is getting to be such a cool character (not like he wasnt before) and I cant wait to see what happens next! biggrin.gif
checkmate_alchemist
Meh. It was not too bad though it went way too fast for me. One second Hughes was talking to Roy the next the ending theme started playing. Envy's voice was just plain weird as well. He sounds too... feminine huh.gif And Armstrong's voice was a bit surprising. Reminded me of Piccolo.

I'm beginning to find Scar an ok character in the series as well and he will probably get better and better through the series.
THeDaRKneSSWiThiN
I really liked this episode! I think i'm getting to like Scar better now, whereas before I was all pissed at him for killing Nina (so sad!). Envy's voice was . . .strange, he sounds to much like a girl.

I'm glad they changed the Ending theme. I heard somewhere that it was going to stay the same during thw whole series. But why the heck was Ed's hair green??? blink.gif
Dreakon
The opening is going to stay the same, the endings are going to change as they are supposed to. As for Eds hair... I dunno. wink.gif
I should not be talking, considering that I never saw the dub version, but Envy's voice was always girlish, not the high pitch girly girl, but like....ya. Besides didn't he say that he wasn't sure of his real identidy so he stuck w/ the form he is in now
although some things happen later on. So they did change the ending. Great...if it's the second ending...it would be a lot better if they had showed the whole thing. *nodd* Man i wish i knew how to do the spoiler tag thingies.
Ailuro
[ spoiler ]Insert your spoiler content here.[ /spoiler ]

Except without the spaces of course.

It's quite simple. ^^
Hilde Knight
I would say something about Envy's voice but it took me about 27 episodes to figure out that, wait a minute, Envy doesn't have boobs, so, really, I couldn't care less about his English voice.

I did, however, despise the edit on Gran's death. I hate such censorship. :|

Overall, though, I was pleased with the episode. I find it weird that Hughes' voice goes up like 2 or 3 octaves whenever he talks about his daughter, though. I don't think the Japanese voice did that...
Chibi-Usa
....................I feel really stupid right now, 'cause I swore Envy was a girl with a hoarse throat ( that's what it sounds like)
lialiakicks
ARGH! I missed Envy's Eng VA!!! Curses! @_@

Must...watch...the encore... GAH. X_X

BTW, did anyone actually KNOW that FMA was coming on at 11:30PM beforehand...? Cuz I sure as heck didn't... (I missed half the episode... >_>)
GaaraFreak
I missed it as well. I had no idea there was a time change ;_;

People are saying stuff was edited... what was edited out?
Shinsei Kage
QUOTE(lialiakicks @ Feb 13 2005, 06:23 PM)
ARGH! I missed Envy's Eng VA!!! Curses! @_@

Must...watch...the encore... GAH. X_X

BTW, did anyone actually KNOW that FMA was coming on at 11:30PM beforehand...? Cuz I sure as heck didn't... (I missed half the episode... >_>)
[snapback]113223[/snapback]

http://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0BPR8EOKJ8XYU3AZ5AH9OT9132

^ That is a clip of Envy's english voice. *shudders* ph34r.gif
Even though there were only a couple of humorous events in this episode, I think that it would have had a better mood if there were none. It was just such a serious episode, ya know. I really liked how Al and Ed were sacrificing themselves for each other. I also enjoyed the reemergence of Rose and the city of Lior. It is interesting how every state alchemist in the military is counting on Roy Mustang for protection.

ps-Kinda looks like The Flame is going to confront Scar in the next episode.
AlphonseRules
I don't think that Envy, or any of the Homonculus for that matter, are very good characters. Not yet anyway. I don't really care about the voice of a character who, to this point has had two lines. I'm sure that he/she will play a bigger role in the future of the series but I don't care right now. Anyway, a crummy voice for a crummy character. No offense to any Envy fans, just my opinion.

Even thought Ed saved Lior in the past, I bet Rose is angry at him for being a part of the military that destroyed everything that she knows. In the three years since she last saw Ed she might think that he is now corrupt by the military's evil ways.
Quistis88
Posts merged, AlphonseRules. Please do not double-post.
edsgirl
I thought Envy clearly sounded like a woman in the sub and in the dub, no real shocker in my opinion. I like this episode, only because Scar was kicking alchemist ass! smile.gif
KevLar
QUOTE(KevLar @ Feb 12 2005, 11:50 PM)
EDITED.
adult swim fails for edited airing. mad.gif

why do i have to quote myself?
Envy's voice is perfect but...
Adult Swim fails for editing their programs.
TheVileOne
QUOTE (AlphonseRules @ Feb 14 2005, 05:51 AM)
Even thought Ed saved Lior in the past, I bet Rose is angry at him for being a part of the military that destroyed everything that she knows.  In the three years since she last saw Ed she might think that he is now corrupt by the military's evil ways.

She's not angry with him. If anything she's inspired by him and uses his words in the face of danger.
Username05
They need to stop editing I hate edited things... other than posts... I want to see people explodeing, heads rolling, blood on walls, corpses, bad words and everything else they have I want to hear and see, they should have the freedom to put anything they want on TV... I see how free this country realy is... I'm movein to Japan when I get a good job, or retire... dry.gif
Shinsei Kage
QUOTE(edsgirl @ Feb 13 2005, 11:47 PM)
I thought Envy clearly sounded like a woman in the sub and in the dub, no real shocker in my opinion. I like this episode, only because Scar was kicking alchemist ass! smile.gif
[snapback]113374[/snapback]

Envy sounding like a woman isn't what bothers me. It's the way the VA actually portrays him that bothers me. This is just my personal opinion, but the way she acted was just...not Envy. dry.gif
Chibi-Usa
I wish I knew what you meant by that....
Nagurikorosu
I thought they were hiding behind Roy, not counting on him for protection. But then again, it's all in how you type/say something.

Chibi, I think that's what Shinsei was trying to say about Envy's VA also. It's all in how you say something.

I had trouble distinguishing if Envy was a man or a woman, but relying on my previous knowledge of the manga Wish, I figured it out.
AlphonseRules
QUOTE(Username05 @ Feb 14 2005, 04:41 AM)
They need to stop editing I hate edited things... other than posts... I want to see people explodeing, heads rolling, blood on walls, corpses, bad words and everything else they have I want to hear and see, they should have the freedom to put anything they want on TV... I see how free this country realy is... I'm movein to Japan when I get a good job, or retire... dry.gif
[snapback]113412[/snapback]

Or you could just buy the DVD when it comes out and watch all that stuff then. That would save you quite a few greenbacks.
Full Metalloid Alchemist
QUOTE (AlphonseRules @ Feb 13 2005, 03:57 AM)
Also, did anyone else think that Scar almost seemed scared when meeting Armstrong.

No its just you Scar has no reason to be affraid of Armstrong. Also is Envy's VA the same that did Freeza in DBZ Freeza was also a unisex miscellanious style character they called him he all the time but he sounded like a woman.
TheVileOne
Wendy Powell is the English voice of Envy in FMA, and she did not play Frieza in DBZ.
Panzer Dragoon
Well, I thought it was a good episode. I actually didn't know Envy was a guy until you people said "she" was a "he". blink.gif I guess that explains the flat-chestedness.
AlphonseRules
QUOTE(Full Metalloid Alchemist @ Feb 14 2005, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE(AlphonseRules @ Feb 13 2005, 03:57 AM)
Yeah, it seemed really short to me too.
[snapback]112826[/snapback]

No its just you Scar has no reason to be affraid of Armstrong. Also is Envy's VA the same that did Freeza in DBZ Freeza was also a unisex miscellanious style character they called him he all the time but he sounded like a woman.
[snapback]113760[/snapback]

Well I know that he was at least shocked because his jaw dropped when Armstrong introduced himself. Also is that just your opinion based on the fact that Scar is so powerful or do you know that for sure.
checkmate_alchemist
QUOTE (AlphonseRules @ Feb 13 2005, 03:57 AM)

I think he was just a little suprised due to the fact he did not se this coming or that he could get rid of 4 State Alchemists in 1 day.
Chibi-Usa
maybe so........or he could've just been really scared since there were so many alchemist that were strong surrounding him
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.