Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do You Believe In Alternative Medicine?
Fullmetal Alchemist Discussion Board > General Discussions > Open Talk > Debate District
Pages: 1, 2
Raven
Here's one that I've found to be an interesting debate subject. I intended this thread to be a proper debate, so do try to keep the messing about to a minimum.

If anyone wants to know, yes, I do believe in alternative medicine.
ἀρχή
I believe there is alternative medicine laugh.gif

Seriously, I'm pretty sceptical of alternative medicine. For the most part, I feel that it's results are often the same as a placebo (sugar pill). I guess I'd like to hear about reputable studies done for it and then I'd be more interested in the results.

Important note: If it works, that does not necessarily mean that the reasons why it works are right. For instance, just because I feel better because I've been poked with needles doesn't prove that there is some spirtual energy that's being manipulated in me. I don't like how mystical explanations get for it. Positive results are never an indicator of proof.
Jaganshi
I belive in healing herbs. My family has always used alternative medicines for as long as I can remember. My mom never takes me to the doctor because she thinks that real Real, actual medicines are bad for your system.

So, yea. So far it's worked for me.
Prinz_Zoisit
i chose i am not sure.... cause there were stories from ppl who were cured by a technique which was very weird............ ^^
hitokiri
that depends on what you mean by alternative medicine... if you mean stuff like pyschic healing/surgery, healing stones, chakra alignment.... no thats crap. that stuff is absolute bullshit. the amount of people that are actually cured by that stuff is low enough to be considered statistical anomalies.

as far as herbs and acupressure/puncture... now thats kosher. medicinal herbs generally contain compounds that are either chemically similar to that of pharmaceutical drugs or that of compounds that are found in the human body. acupressure/puncture is based on the meridian lines, which show points on the body where there are nerve ganglion. the pressure/needles stimulate these ganglion to cause increase bloodflow or some other form of autonomic response.
Slashrose1010
^I agree on the healing stones, mystic water, etc. How would stones heal you? Anyways, I do believe in herbs. Herbs have been used before any pills and such have been formulated. How do you think people of the olden days cured sickness? They didn't use mermaid tears and holy water (items from FF rolleyes.gif). Ginger actually IS good for digestion and herbal teas have been proven to reduce heart attacks/disease and other stuff.
Raven
QUOTE(Prinz_Zoisit @ Feb 4 2005, 01:22 PM)
i chose i am not sure.... cause there were stories from ppl who were cured by a technique which was very weird............ ^^
[snapback]106525[/snapback]

Do share! smile.gif
Le Monkey
Yeah, Come on Prinz
sevter
Coming from a chinese background, my family has always believed in alternative medicine for as long as I could remember. In fact, I rely more on these traditional medicine rather than the so-called "real" medicine like antibiotics and those stuff.

Ah yes, by alternative medicine I was actually talking about acupuncture and herbs.
Gashole
^ Same here. I was a victim of Chinese medicines when I was a kid. Nowadays I prefer NyQuil, though.
Le Monkey
I think that herbs and acupuncture works, But psicic and stone healing is all in their heads...
Raven
I'd prefer to use alternative stuff any day, mostly because most medicine you buy tastes horrible (even though they put additives in it to make them 'taste nice'), or, as with tablets or pills, theyr'e big and lumpy, and often end up going down the wrong way with me. Also, the 'ingredients' (ie. chemicles) they put in usually put me off. I'm doing AS biology at the moment, so I have a fairly good understanding of what does what in the human body, and these chemicles they put in sometimes, I haven't even heard of. Once or twice, Iv'e asked my biology teacher (aka. fountain of all knowlege) what they are, and even she doesn't know.

Anyway, I'd be willing to give any of this alternative stuff a try, if I thought it wouldn't do any damage.
Chiyo
I studied psychology which makes me very bias on this topic now. The idea of using herbs I believe in as alot of drugs are based from herbs. Faith healing and all that is a complete load of balls. Basically, you can think yourself ill so you can think yourself healed. People make money off convincing people they are doing this for them but they are not. It's all the persons own will power to be better.
Raven
QUOTE(Chiyo @ Feb 7 2005, 11:11 AM)
I studied psychology which makes me very bias on this topic now. The idea of using herbs I believe in as alot of drugs are based from herbs. Faith healing and all that is a complete load of balls. Basically, you can think yourself ill so you can think yourself healed. People make money off convincing people they are doing this for them but they are not. It's all the persons own will power to be better.
[snapback]108499[/snapback]

Mostly I agree. I learnt in biology that if your stress levels are too high, for example, then it weakens your anti bodies so your more suseptable to catching colds and other infections. Meditating or taking other psycic healing may help to calm a person, and let them build up immunities to their illness, so it looks like the psycic healing has worked.

However, I have heard of a few cases where people are cured of uncurable diseases (eg. bad cases of cancer) with what may be called psycic healing. I know this may sound like it's going into the realms of sci-fi, but psycic healing might be possible; after all, we still don't know what most of the brain (about 70%, I think) does.

I think that with any cases of healing in an unusual way usually gets covered up by anyone in authority; because if psycic healing did work, then there would be no use for pills or other mass produced medicines, and they would all be out of a job. So, naturally it's in their best intrest to keep anything out of the ordinary hidden away.
hidden_death
i do belive in it ><
Le Monkey
Good for you........
poetic_angel2005@hotmail.com
i belive in alternative medicines. most herbs work if you use it for the
right illnesses! biggrin.gif
Envy's lil' miniskirt
I do believe in alternitive medicine and use it myself.

I go to an acupuncturist sometimes, I went to one when I got whiplash back in July and she fixed me right up. I live close to Chinatown so I have access to all different kinds of herbs, and I also use essential oils for different things. I'll use herbs when I have a cold to help run the virus out of my system, I've been doing it for years seems to work fine. I'll use ginger tea when I have a stomach ache, it's really good for nausea.

I'll use some over the counter stuff but I don't like haveing a lot of chemicials in my system if I don't have to.
phoenix dying
I found that ginger woks on stomach pains.
Blackwings
I dont know we will just have to see how far human science goes to
xrninja
QUOTE(hitokiri @ Feb 4 2005, 12:43 PM)
that depends on what you mean by alternative medicine... if you mean stuff like pyschic healing/surgery, healing stones, chakra alignment.... no thats crap. that stuff is absolute bullshit. the amount of people that are actually cured by that stuff is low enough to be considered statistical anomalies.

as far as herbs and acupressure/puncture... now thats kosher. medicinal herbs generally contain compounds that are either chemically similar to that of pharmaceutical drugs or that of compounds that are found in the human body. acupressure/puncture is based on the meridian lines, which show points on the body where there are nerve ganglion. the pressure/needles stimulate these ganglion to cause increase bloodflow or some other form of autonomic response.
[snapback]106529[/snapback]

i agree. i was just discussing this with my mom a few hours ago, because my friend's little brother is mentally retarded and their family does all sorts of stuff to "improve" (not sure which word to use) him, including acupuncture. now, i believe that acupuncture can help heal sprained ankles, pains, bad circulation, and etc, but i'm skeptical to think that it can help mental retardation. i'm also skeptical of some chinese medicines. in middle school, so many chinese moms bought this grow-taller!medicine for their kids. you were supposed to drink it twice a day for months, and my friends and classmates did and for the majority of them, nothing happened. since i used to be a shrimp, my mom followed suit and bought some, and i took maybe two sips and no more, didn't grow for a year, and then over the next four/five years i grew five inches. i don't attribute the growth to the medicine, i attribute it to puberty, my 6-foot-something dad, and the fact that i was in middle school and had size 9 feet. but for something more healing-related, my dad and some of his friends take this medicine for their diabetes, and the herbs in there are supposed to stabilize his blood sugar or something. i believe in that more than the growing stuff, but i still have more faith in modern medicine.

also, people are not above saying things like "my acupuncture will help cure retardation" and "my medicine will make your child grow taller." a large chunk of the time, they're just out for your money. same mumbo-jumbo for the psychic thing. although at the same time, i'm Christian and i believe that God can heal and work miracles. so i believe all these things, but some of them contradict, and then i don't know what to believe. >_< i'll shut up now.
Raven
Ginger works for travel sickness.
Camomile tea makes you relaxed.
Licorice is a good laxative.
Sycia
By alternative medicine, I refer to 'mind over matter'. I believe it more than antibiotics.
Chiyo
I will swear by mint...thats about it. Whenever I get stomach problems I take a mint capsule.
Chibi-Usa
My Mom's a nurse so when I'm sick I just take the usaul medicine
ed's secret agent
My dad has a herb store so yeah. He owns LOADS of herbs, and they always seem to work.
Dystopian Rhetoric
It's a mixed bag. For the most part, Complementary therapy is rubbish. Homeopathy, some herbal remedies, anything that claims to "harness the power of water" or involves magnets is tripe. It's pure placebo.

However, a lot of herbal stuff does act as a drug, often it's not as effective as refined medicines, and there are typically more side effects, but a lot of the stuff works. For example, willow bark is used as a treatment for a number of things, it contains Oil of Wintergreen, which will combat inflammation. However, if you refine oil of wintergreen you can get aspirin, which is a lot more effective.

Acupuncture can also be helpful, but only in a limited number of situations. There was a study done on it recently... I forget the exact results but it was found that it does help with some ailments, but most are uneffected by it.
MiyokoChan
QUOTE(Dystopian Rhetoric @ May 17 2005, 01:28 PM)
It's a mixed bag. For the most part, Complementary therapy is rubbish. Homeopathy, some herbal remedies, anything that claims to "harness the power of water" or involves magnets is tripe. It's pure placebo.
[snapback]174069[/snapback]

Just for future reference, most Homeopathic medicines do contain things that heal your body (herbs, plants, etc.). The point is that it is a safer, more natural way to help heal a person's body. Homeopathic remedies do not contain large amounts of medicine, which A. eliminates side effects and B. Allows the body to heal with a natural aid, rather than something synthetic forcing the body to immediately get better, which usually means the body isn't really better. A lot of "Modern" medicine, the stuff your doc. will perscribe, whatever you want to call it- is actually very new. (In contrast to a lot of "Alternative" medicines that have been around for a long time.) In our society we like to just take lots and lots of medicine without thinking of what it is actually doing to our body and if it's really helping us get better. People try to push "newer, improved" medicine out without actually taking the time to really understand/research/see if it is the best that it can be. And that's just the way we work. The "bigger, faster, stronger" mentality is present in almost all facets of our life, not just medicine.

But people's bodies are sensitive. Sometimes you just get used to taking large doses, (in which case then you'd have to keep increasing your dosage of whatever), or the large dosage will hurt you. My mom is allergic to Penicillin, Cephalosporin, and Sulfa, (3 out of 4 major antibiotics used in hospitals), and could die from taking them. I've had bad reactions to "regular" (hate that word) medicines- so has my stepfather, my brother, my stepmother, my dad...So not only me, but my entire clan (hah) has done lots of research on this type of thing. And generally, I try to avoid medicine at all costs; I'd rather let my body heal itself. The strongest thing I take is Tylenol or an Advil, and that is very very rare. My dentist wanted to give me Percaset (sp) after getting my wisdom teeth out- that stuff is really strong- I was like, no way. I took an Advil once, I was fine. It's not as if what your doctor perscribes is infallable. A lot of medicine out there is completely new, and basically being tested on it's patients. I'm not saying you can't take it, I'm not saying it might not be effective to some extent, but I am saying that a lot of "alternative" medicine (like Homeopathy) has been around for centuries and is effective, and usually side effects are non-existent. I can't necessarily speak for all Alternative medicines because I haven't tried them all, but I will take a homeopathic any day over something like Tylenol, or Yasmin, or Percaset, (god I know I'm spelling that wrong), or some heavy duty pain killer.

Whew...that was very, very long. blink.gif

P.S. -Tea Tree Oil works wonders for skin irritations. (Do not ingest biggrin.gif )
Carnal Malefactor
I'm reminded of the 'Cherokee Hair Tampons' episode of South Park.

Like hitokiri said, a lot of naturally occurring plants and herbs do have some kind of curative properties, but after a certain level, you need to go to a real doctor.
mongooseboi
i duno if herbs and stuff work but i remeber one thing. one time, i had a fever, and my dad wanted to play doctor chinese style and bought this books about herbs, went to a chinese herbal store, and started cooking it in a pot. supposedly the aroma is supposed to cure the fever. so i sit next to the pot of steaming hot water/herbs, and my dad puts a heavy blanket on me and the pot. he forgets to put something in the pot, so he begins pulling on the newspaper which the pot is on. however, the blanket is wayyy to heavy and it spills boiling water on my feet. owwie. >.< but hey, my fever got better, but my feet hurt a lot laugh.gif so i guess it worked :]
MiyokoChan
Bacon, yes perhaps if you're bleeding profusely out of a serious gash, you should go to the emergency room. Or if you've broken some bones and they need to be set. Or, you need a liver transplant. Or some serious intensive care.

But remember, even Digitalis (for irregular heartbeat) is made of Foxglove, a plant. Story goes: Doctor had a patient with irregular heartbeat. Doctor told patient (who is wheezing and coughing and gasping for air) that he couldn't cure it. About a week or so later the doctor sees his patient walking around, perfectly fine. The doctor asked him what happens. Patient says, well since you couldn't cure me I went to this herb woman. She gave me this. *holds up bag of herbs* Doctor takes bag of herbs, researches it, and finds Foxglove, which helped the irregular heartbeat. Doctor makes tons of money off of a curative that has been around for a very long time. Thus, Digitalis was born.

Thing being, there's no money for scientists if they research plants and herbs any farther than the imperical research already done just simply by these things being around for a long time. The money comes from pharmaseudical (sp) companies selling drugs, so they hire researches for that. Unfortunately, drugs are not the cure-all.

I just think that people should look for the best options available. Whatever that option may be.
~FMAgurl~
Would marijuana count as an herb? My mother told me once that marijuana to help swelling go down or something like that. I can't remember, but it was used for some kind of medicine in Trinidad.
Carnal Malefactor
QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ Aug 26 2005, 04:20 PM)
Would marijuana count as an herb? My mother told me once that marijuana to help swelling go down or something like that. I can't remember, but it was used for some kind of medicine in Trinidad.
[snapback]262821[/snapback]

yeeeeeees biggrin.gif
ROY'S FRIEND
I believe in it, but I only believe it when my grandma says it real!
MiyokoChan
A lot of people use marijuana for medical reasons. It helps them eat.
Envy's lil' miniskirt
Marijuana is actually used for alot of things such as nausia and pain. They did a study with AIDS patients and gave half of them pot as a pain killer, these people did much better because the pot stimulated their appetite and so they kept more weight on then the people who took regular drugs.

I don't know about the swelling, I've never heard of that one.
Taskinst
Well am really not sure. my mother and her boyfriend sure does. and i'll take there word for it because he's a doctor and she's a nurse
i remeber when my brother was about 4 years old he started getting asthma really bad. We took him to the doctor and he have him a asthma pump. But it seemed like everytime he took it he got worse.
Then my mother started giving him this thing called Cod Liver Oil. After a couple of weeks his attacks stops and all he does is have a bad cough once in a while.
trecia
yeah, i believe in alternative medicine. my mom had this lower back pain a few years ago, she took in some meds but the pain persisted for days. i used this thing called "ventusa" on her and the next day the pain was gone, just like that *snapping fingers* laugh.gif
asunder

Called ventusa, the Chinese-inspired healing method is aimed at removing bad blood in the body. The process requires a patient to lie prone and undergo insertion of needles connected to bottles mostly in the back side. The needles would then suck out blood, the ones that "prevent circulation" which would then flow in the bottles.

Is this what you're talking about?

I think there's some merit to acupuncture but for the most part there's a lot of BS in 'alternative' medicine. Take for example...reflexology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflexology

For any diagnosis or intervention , I trust contemporary medicine.
Ishbal~Alchemist
Hmm.... well, being Wiccan, of course I believe in alternative medecine. But I believe that it HELPS. I don't believe that it can completely cure a serious illness, but it can certainly help you feel better when you have a headache, PMS or something like that....
trecia
QUOTE(asu @ Jun 24 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]415597[/snapback]

Called ventusa, the Chinese-inspired healing method is aimed at removing bad blood in the body. The process requires a patient to lie prone and undergo insertion of needles connected to bottles mostly in the back side. The needles would then suck out blood, the ones that "prevent circulation" which would then flow in the bottles.

Is this what you're talking about?

I think there's some merit to acupuncture but for the most part there's a lot of BS in 'alternative' medicine. Take for example...reflexology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflexology

For any diagnosis or intervention , I trust contemporary medicine.

nope. is that ventusa or accupuncture? ventusa does require you to lie in prone position but it uses a glass, a slice of ginger, cotton, oil and matches... the procedure is invasive... no punctures done...
asunder
QUOTE(trecia @ Jun 30 2006, 03:10 AM) [snapback]418441[/snapback]

nope. is that ventusa or accupuncture? ventusa does require you to lie in prone position but it uses a glass, a slice of ginger, cotton, oil and matches... the procedure is invasive... no punctures done...

So what is invasive about it then? If no punctures are done, it would be termed non-invasive.
Semiotic Alchemist
Gonna try n spice this one up, bring back to life . . .

but first; I completely agree with the above pro-alternative med. arguments. of course some might be mroe effective then others and some might be pure BS, but some of the methods are trial and error concations, that (like Edison) only ever became renowned after maybe the 1000th try until they got it right. But of course it's hard to divide between which are real and which are just charlatanic (is that a word . . .)

And of course a lot of these remedy's are mental as are all remedies. Mostly your main mental wellness will determine your physical wellness, it has been documented, although I cannot give examples. It all ahs to do with the fine balance between your spiritual and physical and mental self, and all of them should be in check.

Of course everyone get's the flu now and then rolleyes.gif . . .

So now, what would you think of remedies that perhaps are frowned upon by most governements. Like, oh I dunno, marijuana for one? There's beena back and forth debate that it's both good and bad for you, in equating amounts, but who's telling the truth?
Amol
I dont belive in alt. med. ... they dont always work.
Herbs and stuff .... i havent ever seen them produce results as people say they do.
I think its use less.
000_neji
Of course it exists! I believe in that,i remembered we once interviewed a chinese doctor and he said some evidences of alt. med. like garlic,ganoderma,mushrooms and etc....herbs are more helpful than modern medicines or western medicines,,,..its natural...
Amol
QUOTE(000_neji @ Nov 15 2006, 05:17 PM) [snapback]473686[/snapback]
Of course it exists! I believe in that,i remembered we once interviewed a chinese doctor and he said some evidences of alt. med. like garlic,ganoderma,mushrooms and etc....herbs are more helpful than modern medicines or western medicines,,,..its natural...

I dont think herbs and alt. med. can help in curing injuries and diseases.

I would like to know in what way are these alt. mad. better than modern medicines ?
They may have a temporary effect where ever the problem is , but they cant really bring a long lasting effect.
asunder
QUOTE(Amol @ Nov 16 2006, 04:22 AM) [snapback]474156[/snapback]
QUOTE(000_neji @ Nov 15 2006, 05:17 PM) [snapback]473686[/snapback]

I dont think herbs and alt. med. can help in curing injuries and diseases.

I would like to know in what way are these alt. mad. better than modern medicines ?
They may have a temporary effect where ever the problem is , but they cant really bring a long lasting effect.

In plenty of cases, modern drugs are based off of local cultural remedies. It's just that the local people have been using it for generations without knowing the specific pharmological effects. They know it works, but not the mechanism. In truth, there's still a lot we don't know about diseases, drugs and pharmacology.
Memoria
i believe in alternate medicines. there was one time when i was suffering from an allergic reaction to cats (damn cats) and i was given a special kind of tea brewed from herbs and was able to breathe again. also i have a friend whose had acupunture done and says it actually helps
000_neji
Modern medicines come from alternative medicines or herbs...
Psychic healing is not true but that's not the main focus in alternative medicine,it is herbs that are the real ones in alt. med...
Amol
QUOTE(000_neji @ Dec 12 2006, 03:31 PM) [snapback]483628[/snapback]
Modern medicines come from alternative medicines or herbs...

Not all .... many are derived from chemicals.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.